News Ticker
  • Texas vs Iowa State kickoff will take place on Saturday, November 17th @ 7:00 PM at DKR-TMS in Austin
  • Texas Football schedules Georgia for home and home series in 2028 and 2029
  • Texas Football ranked 13th in AP Poll and 14th in Coaches Poll
Sign in to follow this  
Jameson McCausland

Texas overcomes sloppy second half for 73-71 OT win over Arkansas

After cruising to a win over Eastern Illinois Wednesday night, Texas found itself facing some adversity Friday night in El Paso against Arkansas. Despite a shooting slump in the second half that included nearly 9 minutes without a field goal, the Longhorns pulled out a 73-71 victory over the Razorbacks. The victory moves Texas to 2-0 on the season.

After sitting out the season opener due to a suspension, Kerwin Roach led the Longhorns with 18 points, including the game tying three pointer at the end of regulation. Roach also added 11 rebounds and 2 assists. It was a quiet night for PG Matt Coleman, who finished the evening with 2 points and 4 assists in 24 minutes. As a team, the Longhorns shot a putrid 31% from the field and 32% from deep.

It appeared the Razorbacks were going to pull out a close victory late in the second half when Daniel Gafford headed to the free throw line for two shots and Arkansas leading 62-60 with 10 seconds remaining. Gafford made the first attempt, but missed the second. Roach grabbed the rebound and sprinted down floor before nailing a 3-pointer to knot the game at 63.

In overtime, the two teams traded blows before freshman Courtney Ramey hit a floater with 49 seconds left to pull Texas ahead 72-71. Ramey finished the game with 10 points and played a key role after Coleman fouled out in overtime. Elijah Mitrou-Long added a free throw with 22 seconds left and the Longhorns survived a frantic final possession from Arkansas that included several good looks around the basket and a missed three pointer as time expired.

Texas will return to action on Monday at the Erwin Center against Louisiana Monroe. The game will tip off at 7 PM and be broadcasted on LHN.

This team looks like last year’s team which looked like the year before that.  They are athletic, long, can run and jump out of the gym.... but they can’t shoot.  Moreover (except Roach) it looks like nobody even wants to shoot.  

Into year 4, I have to think this is a product of how Shaka recruits.  He prioritizes athleticism over shooting. The problem is, I’m afraid that isn’t how to win any more.  Basketball is a shooting contest now.  Even in high school and sometimes middle school, it’s about shooting 3s.  

I hope I’m wrong, but unless there’s a shooter or three - hiding on the bench somewhere, I think we’re looking at a middle of the pack Big 12 finish.  

38 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Texas beat Arkansas last night who was 23-12 last year.

True... I shouldn’t be so negative.    It was ugly though..... 2-19 shooting to open the second half.  

But your point stands.  

3 hours ago, tejasrulz said:

Texas beat Arkansas last night who was 23-12 last year.

Texas is an underachieving team who has been sloppy.....again. Im not impressed by getting lucky to take Arkansas to overtime. 

Arkansas has 7 true freshman and only two upperclassmen. They lost 6 seniors off that 23 win team. This Arkansas isnt last years Arkansas. 

I am by no means a basketball fan. I know the basics of the game and whatnot but could not tell you what a point guard is/does. But, what I CAN tell you is that I love beating Arkansas at ANYTHING. I live in Arkie land and I live to throw salt in any wound they suffer. It helps me to survive here. That being said, it may have been sloppy (I obviously didn't watch), it may have been lucky, hell it may have been a fluke but I still get pleasure from knowing that TEXAS beat arkiesaw at ANYTHING! I wouldn't even care if it was underwear sniffing contest. WE SNIFF THAT UNDERWEAR BETTER!

Watching the replay and man, Sims has improved over the past year! He needs to be a bigger factor on the boards but even his FT shooting is better (minus the one air ball). 

Dylan best be glad he can crash the boards because his shooting continues to be an issue.

Coleman and Febres went a combined 1 of 14. Bad night for them to say the least.

Roach is Roach. Even though he hit 33% from the floor, he was clutch when he needed to be. He can also clean up the glass.

I did like the play of the 3 freshmen, Hepa, Ramey, and Hayes, especially the latter two.  

On 11/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, tejasrulz said:

Watching the replay and man, Sims has improved over the past year! He needs to be a bigger factor on the boards but even his FT shooting is better (minus the one air ball). 

Dylan best be glad he can crash the boards because his shooting continues to be an issue.

Coleman and Febres went a combined 1 of 14. Bad night for them to say the least.

Roach is Roach. Even though he hit 33% from the floor, he was clutch when he needed to be. He can also clean up the glass.

I did like the play of the 3 freshmen, Hepa, Ramey, and Hayes, especially the latter two.  

Sims needs to jump straight up for boards and avoid the over the back fouls I have seen through three games.   He should realize they can’t out leap him for boards!