News Ticker
  • Texas vs Iowa State kickoff will take place on Saturday, November 17th @ 7:00 PM at DKR-TMS in Austin
  • Texas Football schedules Georgia for home and home series in 2028 and 2029
  • Texas Football ranked 13th in AP Poll and 14th in Coaches Poll
Daniel Seahorn

Five Thoughts Following The Win Over Baylor

Is this shoulder injury the same shoulder that he hurt during his senior year in high school?  Im no doctor but my brother is an ortho rehab/pain management MD, and an AC sprain is the type of injury that lingers and may have to be addressed at the end of the season, if it holds up that long...The bye week will help but dont expect him to throw at all this week...lots of ice,PT, and prayers

I don’t think I would put this game in the category of playing to the level of our competition, since our starting QB was knocked out on the first drive. I believe we put up at least 3 more TDs with Sam running the offense, which in turn fires up the defense to play even better. This game should not be judged in the same light as our other games.  IMO 

Java said something in the game thread that could well have been addressed to me. I was loudly calling for at least a look at Shane early in the year when Sam was so rammed inaccurate. Well I got my wish and it wasn't pretty. I am happy I wasn't then complaining about how he played.

Shane will look better with a game plan developed for him. Sam was beginning to look good, but Shane will be ok.

For all my non medical peeps. AC joint sprain for pitchers and QBs typically take 2-6 weeks to fully heal and return to overhead throwing, and that’s if it is a mild sprain. The MRI will tell us the grade and I’ll have more info for you guys about severity and timelines when that comes back.

E84314F4-0EA3-4F0A-9BB4-E6DC6A482313.jpeg

13 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

We were also suppossed to run all over Baylor today and it didn’t happen.  If their run D does suck, we need to game plan for that and stick with it unlike today.

With Sam at qb a defense has to monitor three things.  Passing game, running backs and qb run game.  A running qb can take pressure off the RBs.  When Shane entered the game Baylor knew he wasn’t going to eat them up and was prolly willing to not focus so much on him as Shane isn’t a good runner.  The Baylor front was able to put more focus on the RBs and it worked.  Pretty simple to see that.  Even still Ingram goes over the 100yd mark.  

FWIW, I know this will not happen, but I would think about getting Heard some reps. We know he is not the passer Sam is, but his running prowess can at least scare the hell out of a DC. I think he could make enough throws to keep the defense off balanced. As I write this, I know it sounds crazy, but would you trust a true Freshman in his first game (Rising or Thompson) or someone who has played QB in the conference before? IMO, I would opt for the experience level. Ugly wins are still a win! Hook ‘EM!

Sam Ehlinger injury update: Texas QB diagnosed with AC sprain in right shoulder; what does timeline look like?

This Story is About...

Share This Story On...

Tim Warner/Getty Images

AUSTIN, TX - OCTOBER 13: Sam Ehlinger #11 of the Texas Longhorns awaits the snap with blood running from his hand in the first quarter against the Baylor Bears at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on October 13, 2018 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Tim Warner/Getty Images)

By Trenton Daeschner, Texas Longhorns blogger Contact Trenton Daeschneron Twitter:@TrentDaeschner

AUSTIN -- Sophomore quarterback Sam Ehlinger suffered a sprain of the AC joint in his throwing shoulder during Saturday's 23-17 win over Baylor, Texas coach Tom Herman announced after the game.

Ehlinger will receive an MRI to evaluate if he has any ligament damage. Herman said Ehlinger could be throwing the ball by the end of next week, as Texas has a bye before a road trip against Oklahoma State on Oct. 27.

"The off-week comes at a very good time, and we need to rest," Herman said. "We need to heal. We've been playing football for 11 straight weeks, and the guys need to take a nice, deep breath, exhale and get ready to come to work on Tuesday."

ADVERTISING

Ehlinger suffered the injury on the opening possession of the game and was forced to exit. Ehlinger came off the field with a bloody throwing hand as the Longhorns were in the midst of driving deep into Baylor territory. It initially appeared that was the only reason Ehlinger was being sidelined. But Herman revealed afterward that Ehlinger had hurt his shoulder a few plays earlier.

"I think he actually made a throw or two after, but the reason they stopped the game was he had blood on his hand," Herman said. "So as he's coming off, we thought, OK, he's going to be out for a play, just get the blood cleaned up as they do. Any time you've got exposed blood, you've got to come off the field. And he came off, he goes, 'Coach, my shoulder's messed up. My shoulder's messed up.' So we had the trainers look at him and the shoulder was messed up."

After a brief trip to the prop-up medical tent on the sidelines to stop the bleeding on his hand, Ehlinger then headed for the locker room with Texas trainers to evaluate his shoulder. After a quick X-ray, Herman said Ehlinger was diagnosed with a shoulder sprain and given anti-inflammatory medicine.

He later came back to the field in the first half but only to wear a headset, as junior quarterback Shane Buechele, meanwhile, had taken the reins on offense. Texas officials announced at the time that Ehlinger would be evaluated at halftime for a shoulder injury. 

"They let that medicine take effect and then see how he felt at halftime," Herman said. "I think I told the TV people that he was going to be evaluated at halftime. Couldn't do a whole lot. But by the end of halftime, we knew he was done."

Ehlinger was officially ruled out for the rest of the game before the start of the third quarter. His right arm appeared motionless throughout the rest of the afternoon as he patrolled the sidelines.

The No. 9 Longhorns (6-1, 4-0 Big 12) are off next week, which is particularly fortunate timing for Ehlinger.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/texaslonghorns/2018/10/13/texas-rb-keaontay-ingram-still-unsatisfied-after-eclipsing-100-yard-mark-first-time-college-career

The top true freshman for each Top 25 team

No. 9 Texas: S Caden Sterns

251.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Sterns has headlined a crop of talented Texas true freshmen. Nicknamed "the Wolf," Sterns is tied for the Big 12 lead with three interceptions, to go along with 25 tackles and a blocked field goal. He has positioned himself as one of the elite defensive freshmen in college football. -- Trotter

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24940950/best-true-freshman-top-25-team

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Daniel, posters on some other sites are absolutely convinced that we definitely tip off our plays by where the running back lines up in relation to the QB.

Curious if you have you seen this with your eyes?

If you mean shane holding the ball out for 4 seconds everytime he hands the ball to the running back then yeah we tip off our plays. 

It pisses me off every time we run it with shane. By the time the ball gets to the running back the defense is in our backfield.... 

I am glad the Horns survived to what appears to be the first Upset Weekend.  This weekend usually happens once schools get into conference play.  It occurs every year at least once, many times twice.

6 hours ago, TexasTaz27 said:

FWIW, I know this will not happen, but I would think about getting Heard some reps. We know he is not the passer Sam is, but his running prowess can at least scare the hell out of a DC. I think he could make enough throws to keep the defense off balanced. As I write this, I know it sounds crazy, but would you trust a true Freshman in his first game (Rising or Thompson) or someone who has played QB in the conference before? IMO, I would opt for the experience level. Ugly wins are still a win! Hook ‘EM!

Not happening. 

4 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Daniel, posters on some other sites are absolutely convinced that we definitely tip off our plays by where the running back lines up in relation to the QB.

Haven’t noticed that, but it will be something a look for going forward. 

5 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

That was brought up in the USC game by the announcer.  When Watson or Ingram line up a yard or more behind the QB in the zone read then it's a run.  When they line up closer or equal to the QB then it's a pass.  He was right most of the time.  

1 hour ago, texbound said:

That was brought up in the USC game by the announcer.  When Watson or Ingram line up a yard or more behind the QB in the zone read then it's a run.  When they line up closer or equal to the QB then it's a pass.  He was right most of the time.  

Okay, been watching the replay and I'm putting this one to bed. Not seeing a pattern.