News Ticker
  • Texas vs Iowa State kickoff will take place on Saturday, November 17th @ 7:00 PM at DKR-TMS in Austin
  • Texas Football schedules Georgia for home and home series in 2028 and 2029
  • Texas Football ranked 13th in AP Poll and 14th in Coaches Poll
Sign in to follow this  
Harrison Wier

Five Quick Thoughts: Kansas State (Jameson McCausland)

1. .

•  

For the first time since 2002, Texas walked out of Bill Snyder Family Stadium a winner. The Longhorns used a big first half and hung on for dear life in the second half to escape the purple wizard with 19-14 win. The win moves Texas to 2-0 in conference play and 4-1 overall, setting up a huge game next week at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Tom Herman admitted after the game that it was an ugly win, but the Longhorns now have 4 straight victories for the first time since 2013. Let’s take a look at some key takeaways from a wild afternoon in The Little Apple:

Breckyn Hager Comes up Big

After having a relatively quiet first 4 games of 2018, DE Breckyn Hager came up huge Saturday afternoon. The Austin native collected his first sack of the season and also batted down a key 3rd down pass in the 4th quarter, allowing the Texas offense to get the ball back and run out of the clock. It was a very physical game at the line of scrimmage, and Hager was in the middle of all the action.

While discussing the defensive line, it would also be appropriate to mention the big game from Charles Omenihu, who had 2 sacks of his own, one of which resulted in a big safety in the 2nd quarter. The inability to get to the quarterback has been a hot topic amongst Texas fans in recent weeks, but Hager and Omenihu certainly responded by delivering big performances in Manhattan.

Big Plays on Special Teams

It felt like only a matter of time before D’Shawn Jamison would take a return to the house, and the freshman came through in the first quarter to help Texas jump out to a 7-0 lead. Jamison did an excellent job of weaving his way through defenders with the help of a couple of big blocks (go look at the replay and watch the effort by Josh Thompson).

Jamison’s touchdown was not the only bright spot on special teams. Despite his missed field goal attempt, Cameron Dicker did a nice job of putting his kickoffs near the corners of the end zone, and the coverage team had a nice afternoon pinning the Wildcats deep in their own territory on several possessions.

The Ryan Bujcevski adventure continued. The freshman punter had a punt partially blocked and averaged 36.7 yards on 3 attempts. Following the partially blocked punt, the Texas defense forced a punt of their own. The Longhorns could not afford to let special teams blunders haunt them, and it didn’t Saturday afternoon.

Turnover-Free Sam, Again

Sam Ehlinger has now gone 4 straight games without turning the ball over after his 2 interceptions in week 1 against Maryland. The sophomore finished the game 29 of 36 for 207 yards and a touchdown while adding 8 carries for 26 yards on the ground. Ehlinger has made big strides in the intermediate passing game and is showing improvement in the pocket.

Ehlinger still has work to do, particularly in the deep passing game, but he has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes and play within himself.

Keaontay Ingram’s Expanded Role

In week 1 against Maryland, Texas turned to Tre Watson and Kyle Porter with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. Fast forward to today and freshman Keaontay Ingram found himself as the go-to man when Texas was attempting to run out the clock. Ingram is still not 100% from a knee injury, but his cutback ability and vision makes him the best back on the Longhorns roster. He finished the game with 10 carries for 68 yards and 5 catches for 27 yards, but it is becoming more and more obvious that the Texas coaches know Ingram gives them the best chance to move the ball on the ground in crunch time.

Defying the Odds

If you would have told any Texas fan before the game that the Longhorns would be penalized 10 times for over 100 yards and Kansas State would not be penalized at all, most fans would have said Texas suffered another loss in Manhattan. The fact that Texas overcame multiple self-inflicted blunders shows the progress the program is making in its second year under Tom Herman. The Texas teams of the past would have not walked out victorious.

The Longhorns still have a lot to clean up if they hope to contend for a Big 12 championship, but Tom Herman now has his players believing in themselves. Herman emphasized the word “culture” and “learning how to win” over the past 21 months, and his team is now beginning to embrace it.

So the redemption tour continues in Dallas next week. B)

1. This was a  FUGLY win. But it exorcised another demon. The purple Wizard activated his best enchantment at half time but Sir Orlando the paladin was able to resist its effects.

2. Even though Sam's completion percentage was high, he did not have good day. Had he been accurate on a single deep throw this game would have gotten out hand easily and early.

3. I don't ever want to see Jamison on the field with the offense ever again. His attempts have to equal up to at least -30 in yardage.

4. Keontay Ingram is hands down the best RB on the roster. 10 carries is a joke. If this doesn't rectify itself then a hard look needs to be taken at whoever is responsible. Whether it's Herman or Drayton.

5. Enjoy this one and stay positive heading into next week. If they pull off the RRR the skies the limit.

44 minutes ago, Baron said:

3. I don't ever want to see Jamison on the field with the offense ever again. His attempts have to equal up to at least -30 in yardage.

Just checked his stats. He's got 2 rushes for -6 yards, and 2 receptions for -15 yards. Also, he had 1 punt return for -6 yards going into today. Oh, and that doesn't even account for the multiple times this year he's returned a kick from several yards deep in the endzone and Texas has started inside their own 15.

He's the new Daje Johnson.

The block punt was more on the snapper than the punter. In fact, the punter did a great job by preventing the ball from sailing over his head.

Sam was 29 of 36 with no INTs and 1 TD yet it seemed he had a so-so day. He missed a wide open Duvenay (sp?) for an east TD on the 1st drive and twice missed a wide open Johnson which would have extended drives. He hits those 3 alone and he would have finished at least 32 of 36 w/2 TDs. BTW, the 3rd and 11 pass to Johnson was money.

Ingram is the best back and if not for his knee, we maybe seeing more of him. Young needs to run north/south, not east west. Same with Jamison but that punt return for a TD was sweet!

The DBs really need to line up closer to the WRs on 3rd or 4th and short. Several times they didn't and KSU hit their WRs on slants for the 1st down.

Zero penalties on KSU, really? Nobody is that disciplined, nobody.

Yes it was an ugly win but way prettier than the Tulsa win. Why you ask? The last QB to beat KSU in Manhattan was Chris Simms. Let that stat sink in for a minute.

55 minutes ago, Baron said:

So the redemption tour continues in Dallas next week. B)

1. This was a  FUGLY win. But it exorcised another demon. The purple Wizard activated his best enchantment at half time but Sir Orlando the paladin was able to resist its effects.

2. Even though Sam's completion percentage was high, he did not have good day. Had he been accurate on a single deep throw this game would have gotten out hand easily and early.

4. Keontay Ingram is hands down the best RB on the roster. 10 carries is a joke. If this doesn't rectify itself then a hard look needs to be taken at whoever is responsible. Whether it's Herman or Drayton.

5. Enjoy this one and stay positive heading into next week. If they pull off the RRR the skies the limit.

I'd pull a TCU with Jamison and turn him into a linebacker if it doesn't pan out at WR/DB the next couple years. 

58 minutes ago, utb040713 said:

Just checked his stats. He's got 2 rushes for -6 yards, and 2 receptions for -15 yards. Also, he had 1 punt return for -6 yards going into today. Oh, and that doesn't even account for the multiple times this year he's returned a kick from several yards deep in the endzone and Texas has started inside their own 15.

He's the new Daje Johnson.

Don’t forget DJ Monroe!

I would not like to see Ingram as a 25 carry a game back at this point in his career. I like the split in carries with Watson. Neither seems big enough to carry a heavy load. But at crunch time, it was Ingram who was in the game.

40 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Don’t forget DJ Monroe!

I'll take your word for it. I didn't become a Texas fan until I started at UT in 2010, and I didn't really start following Longhorn football closely until 2012 or so.

3 hours ago, Coot said:

I would not like to see Ingram as a 25 carry a game back at this point in his career. I like the split in carries with Watson. Neither seems big enough to carry a heavy load. But at crunch time, it was Ingram who was in the game.

But with his talent 10 is too few.

12 hours ago, Harrison Wier said:
  1. Turnover-Free Sam, Again

Sam Ehlinger has now gone 4 straight games without turning the ball over after his 2 interceptions in week 1 against Maryland. The sophomore finished the game 29 of 36 for 207 yards and a touchdown while adding 8 carries for 26 yards on the ground. Ehlinger has made big strides in the intermediate passing game and is showing improvement in the pocket.

Ehlinger still has work to do, particularly in the deep passing game, but he has shown the ability to learn from his mistakes and play within himself.

Agree.... pretty much.  Look - Sam is our QB for the next 2 1/2 years.  If he were going to ever lose his starting job, it would have happened by now.  He has upside that is incredible!  His competitive nature, his ability to run, and his live arm....

But I'll be honest, his inaccuracy absolutely prevents our offense from getting into any semblance of "rhythm" and keeps it below average.  It must be deflating beyond words when everything is executed.... EVERYTHHING from pass protection, to route running to everything else that goes into executing a play.... and it is rendered unsuccessful because we can't play catch.  Errant pass in other words.  And I'm not just talking about incomplete passes - passes where the receiver is wide open and has to go to the ground to make the reception or spin around backward just to make the catch.  In my humble opinion, this is killing our offense! 

We now have on offense:   NFL caliber receivers, a fine back in Watson and what looks like a special back in Ingram, a good TE (finally) in Beck, and don't look now.... but an offensive line that can actually pass protect and create holes for our running game (bravo Herb Hand).  And, yes a QB who does learn and improve. 

I don't know if you can teach accuracy, or if it's like footspeed (you have it or you don't)….. but I submit - that 3rd down errant pass to Collin Johnson late the 4th quarter could very well have cost us the game.  If accuracy can be increased, then by all means an all out effort must be had here! 

I'm rooting for Sam because I love the kid and he is our QB for the next 2 1/2 years.  He seems like a solid citizen, a good leader and a fierce competitor.  He seems to have stopped handing games to the opponent late in the fourth quarter.  Let's hope accuracy is also something that can be improved? 

6 hours ago, Baron said:

But with his talent 10 is too few.

Not with a knee they are trying to allow to heal while giving him reps.  

Honestly, some of you need to look at the game as a whole rather than in hindsight. I’m certain you know more than Drayton (sarcasm definitely intended), but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

Guys, ease up. Enjoy the win. 

1 hour ago, java said:

Not with a knee they are trying to allow to heal while giving him reps.  

Honestly, some of you need to look at the game as a whole rather than in hindsight. I’m certain you know more than Drayton (sarcasm definitely intended), but let’s give him the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

Guys, ease up. Enjoy the win. 

Java.....I consider you one of the most knowledgeable posters on the board. Also damned observant. Keep up the good work

1 hour ago, java said:

Because it would have been against K-State?

Maybe so, but was I the only one that saw that? It was a monster hit and drew a great cheer. Are we the only guys ever called for that? It looked a lot worse to me than Fosters hit.

The flag on Shack was bizarre as well.  No block in the back, no clip, no targeting, and the whistle hadn't blown.  Shack got a good hit on the kid who didn't see it coming, but because the kid got hurt on the play that's a flag?  The hold on Wheeler was ridiculous as well.  It was at the LOS and not exactly impacting the play whatsoever.  Kind of amazing that the KSU O-line was so excellent and never held the entire game.  Bravo Big 12 refs.

54 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

Maybe so, but was I the only one that saw that? It was a monster hit and drew a great cheer. Are we the only guys ever called for that? It looked a lot worse to me than Fosters hit.

I saw it and they should've taken a look.  However, there is one thing that kind of, kind of, separates that hit from Fosters in that Sam was an upright runner at the time.  St. Brown was what they deem a defenseless WR (if I remember it right).  I could be wrong on that one and St. Brown may have caught the ball and made a football move prior to turn into a runner.  If that's the case then i have no idea why that wasn't called against KST.

A frustrating win, but a win nonetheless, especially in the Little Apple. Prior teams would have lost that game. Also, to some degree, I'm pretty sure that the team was looking to OU as they walked in a halftime. Finally, like some have already said, I think the staff is managing Ingram to a degree since he's not 100% healthy.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, oldhorn2 said:

Java.....I consider you one of the most knowledgeable posters on the board. Also damned observant. Keep up the good work

Oldhorn2, I respect what you have to say a lot. Please post more. What you say is always well considered and well said. Thank you. 

On 9/30/2018 at 9:18 AM, oldhorn2 said:

No, I saw it, as well, but that sort of thing always happens in Manhattan. It shouldn’t, but it does. 

The cheering was out of line. 

btw, watch out for Lubbock. A little of that goes on there, too. 

I can’t wait to be as good as we were in 2005, when we were so good that 20 blown calls couldn’t have hurt us in most conference games. (OSU and A&M were the lone exceptions, if I recall correctly.)