Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

5 Thoughts Following The Win Over USC

I’m shooting these off from my phone so forgive me for the typos and disorganization. Big win tonight on a big stage with a lot of eyes watching. Much needed confidence booster heading into conference play. 

The Battle In The Trenches 

I said earlier that if Texas wanted a chance to win they were going to have to get the run game going and they did that as they scratched out 160 yards the ground. It may not be a huge number, but when you go back and look at some of those runs late and see how physical and demoralizing some of them were you will see the importance. The Texas offensive line really went to work and outmuscled the USC defense down the stretch and it was fun to watch. When you take into account that Texas didn’t have Keaontay Ingram tonight it makes it even more impressive for me. Speaking of rushing yards, the Texas defense absolutely suffocated the Trojan rushing effort to the time of -5 yards. That dog will hunt. 

Winning The Third Down Battle 

Early on it looked like it was going to be more of the same when it came to executing on third down on both sides of the ball, but then Texas seemed to flip the switch. The Texas offense was able to convert 10/19 on third down and also converted their only 4th down attempt. That’s remarkably better than the last two weeks and makes a world of difference. On top of that, the defense held the Trojans to 6/15 on third down and most of those came early before things went down hill. USC was also 0/2 on  4th down and one of those came on a goal line stand. Another instance of Texas showing improvement in area they struggled in the previous two weeks. 

Special Teams Are Special Again?

Don’t look now guys, but Texas may have found themselves a kicker. And his name is Dicker. I’ll show myself out in a minute. Seriously though, the freshman from Lake Travis was fantastic tonight as he went 3/3 on FG attempts (including two from 46 yards out) and made all of his PATs. If Texas can get that kind of consistency out of the freshman it could be a difference maker at some point this year. Speaking of field goals, Caden Sterns blocking USC’s only field goal try of the night resulted in a Texas touchdown the other way and almost brought the house down. That was a dagger in the heart of the Trojans as they were looking for any sign of hope.

Slow Start, But Strong Finish By The Defense

It did not look pretty early from Todd Orlando’s bunch, as they allowed two early scores, but that ended up being all they allowed on the night. The defense really bowed their necks and righted the ship after struggling early and proceeded to get after USC’s young quarterback. The defense pitched a shutout for three quarters and kept their boot firmly on the throat right up until the final snap that resulted in a Charles Omenihu sack fumble on 4th down. This group stayed in hunt mode and didn’t let up once they had USC and Daniels on the ropes. They deserve plenty of kudos tonight. 

Momentum Builder In Recruiting 

There were a ton of eyes both in the stadium and on televisions watching this game tonight and Texas didn’t disappoint. Tom Herman and his staff needed this win in a major way and not only did they get it, but they got it with style points in prime time. USC may not be the USC of old, but they came in ranked and are still a program that many respect, and a win over them will  no doubt help efforts on the trail. Imagine being in Austin right now as a blue chip recruit after a win like that. It’s going to be a wild weekend in Austin and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear recruits singing the staff’s praises come Monday. 

This was a much needed win with style points. My thoughts on the game:

1. The secondary gave up too many big plays. St. Brown is an extraordinary talent, but our talent should have minimized his impact on the game.

2. While the run blocking was adequate, the pass blocking left something to be desired. Sam may hold the ball too long but the protection needs to hold up a little better.

3. The targeting rule needs to go away. I thought this when Guston got tossed. I'll take the personal foul all day long, but the targeting rule needs to be reassessed. It's a natural process to lower your head as you initiate contact. And sometimes it takes two to tango.

4. When was the last time we didn't have to hold our breath when the place kicker came out? Dicker the Kicker has lived up to his nick name.

5. The run defense was the best I have seen in a long time.

My only thought at this point is that Texas had a prime opportunity to get either Shane or Rising some snaps late in the game and for whatever reason chose not to. This is disappointing to me, because is Sam goes down, moments like tonight would go far in giving one of them some confidence and playing time under the lights.  Nights like tonight where a P5 Top 25 team is playing in your house, with an electric crowd behind you, and said opponent is down 20+ late, do not come around very often.  You have to take advantage of that.  My 2-cents  

4 minutes ago, joeywa said:

My only thought at this point is that Texas had a prime opportunity to get either Shane or Rising some snaps late in the game and for whatever reason chose not to. This is disappointing to me, because is Sam goes down, moments like tonight would go far in giving one of them some confidence and playing time under the lights.  Nights like tonight where a P5 Top 25 team is playing in your house, with an electric crowd behind you, and said opponent is down 20+ late, do not come around very often.  You have to take advantage of that.  My 2-cents  

Can’t say I disagree here. My only rebuttal is that if they had got snaps they were probably only going to hand the ball off with how tight and conservative the playcalling got down the stretch. 

I loved this game. It was just what we needed, and I believe it will get better from here. 

While I know that it has been said the greatest improvement occurs between game 1 and game 2, I wasn’t certain what to think with our first game on the road and the second against Tulsa. 

It appeared that USC’s game plan wasn’t what Orlando expected, and justifiably so. After adjustments, it was “Turn out the Lights”. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we spent part of the week before the Tulsa game planning for USC.  I would. Of course, you can choose to believe otherwise if you would like. 

With the new redshirt rule, does anyone know if the four games need to be played consecutively?  That question came to mind when another qb didn’t come into the game.  

Way to go, Horns!  Hook ‘em!

38 minutes ago, java said:

I loved this game. It was just what we needed, and I believe it will get better from here. 

While I know that it has been said the greatest improvement occurs between game 1 and game 2, I wasn’t certain what to think with our first game on the road and the second against Tulsa. 

It appeared that USC’s game plan wasn’t what Orlando expected, and justifiably so. After adjustments, it was “Turn out the Lights”. 

It wouldn’t surprise me if we spent part of the week before the Tulsa game planning for USC.  I would. Of course, you can choose to believe otherwise if you would like. 

With the new redshirt rule, does anyone know if the four games need to be played consecutively?  That question came to mind when another qb didn’t come into the game.  

Way to go, Horns!  Hook ‘em!

They can play the 4 games in any order the coaches choose. Seems like most are trying to wait as long as possible in case of injury etc.

8 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Can’t say I disagree here. My only rebuttal is that if they had got snaps they were probably only going to hand the ball off with how tight and conservative the playcalling got down the stretch. 

I agree 100%. Then IMO this needs to change keep the offence going full speed. No matter the score or the personal in the game.

6 hours ago, okiehorn said:

I was so caught up in Hager, Johnson, Sterns I didn’t even notice if Adeoye get to play and help much? His speed is legit 

and what about bimage?  i didn't see him out there either.  maybe i missed.

10 hours ago, dillohorn said:

I'm happy with a win.........sluggish start and all. Better hit the ground running next week or it can get really ugly, real fast. 

It really doesn't seem to matter who our coordinators are, this seems to be true over recent years.

18 hours ago, Baron said:

3. The targeting rule needs to go away. I thought this when Guston got tossed. I'll take the personal foul all day long, but the targeting rule needs to be reassessed. It's a natural process to lower your head as you initiate contact. And sometimes it takes two to tango.

Disagree... It's only a natural process to lower your head because modern football players wear head protection that doubles as a battering ram. That's the whole point of the targeting rule - it's actually an unnatural move. 

For proof, look at Aussie football. They hit each other at full speed, with force, but using heads-up tackling instead. This is what people naturally do when they need to protect their own heads. 

The targeting rule allows for that, and actually encourages players to heads-up tackle since the face grill is allowed to make contact, just not the crown of the helmet. 

Granted - people have been hitting like for a long time, so retraining will take a bit. In that sense it may feel unnatural. But player safety has become a critical area with concussions, so football needs to revert back to tackling like they did before the helmet could be used as part of the tackle.