Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
doc longhorn

Never forget

I penned this on another site, but it needs to be said here as well.  It is me being selfish, but it works as a sort of therapy for me.  Do you remember what you were doing when you heard about this?

9-11

I and the world witnessed the bravest act I have ever seen or heard of. It wasn't a Hollywood action scene, it was the real thing. The emotion of the day and this bravery caused me to weep with pride, grief and sorrow.

I'm talking about the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.

Consider the scenario in an airplane whereby the pilots and flight attendants had their throats cut and were dead - blood everywhere, the plane was taken over by terrorists and cell phones were telling the passengers what had happened in NYC. The fear on that plane had to be palpable. The men that charged those killers were just your everyday businessmen. They weren't trained or even expected to have to do what they did that day.

But they rose to the occasion. "Let's roll" one said. Goddam they were incredibly brave and I still get tears in my eyes thinking of it.

They were Americans and what they did is what separates us from the rest of the world.

God bless America!

One of the scariest days of my life. I will never forget...

i will always feel like I personally dodged a bullet that day yet at the same time had one hit me in the heart.

my mother was a flight attendant for delta and was based out of New York. She was coming home and scheduled to land into JFK that morning for work. 

I will always remember not hearing from her for 24 hours after the plans hit due to the cell towers being down. I was glued to the tv trying to get any type of information on what airlines or flight number on the planes that went down. None of the news outlets at that time were reporting any thing that I could go off of to know if she was safe. I had never prayed so hard in my life and thanked god when I finally heard from her.

i was in middle school at the time and remember my teacher and principal getting into a full on yelling match with each other outside the class room on whether they should bring a tv into the room and play the news coverage for us. I had no idea what was going on. I will always remember my teacher telling us that we needed to be brave and witness what just happened because it is something that we will never forget.

im tear up right now thinking about that day and tear up whenever I think about all those lives and the family’s that we’re not as fortunate. Those lost on that day will always have a place in my heart till the day I die.

neverforget.

16 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Every time I hear the term "safe space" and nonsense like that, I think of 9/11.

And then I ask, what the hell happened to us?

Propaganda is both insidious and powerful.  Look what Goebbels did with the German people and the German Jews.  The rest of Germany stood by while the jews homes and businesses were being destroyed and while the Jews were degraded, tormented and slaughtered. 

Here in the US, illegal aliens have been redefined as "undocumented workers" - never mind they are in our country illegally.  This is just one example of government leaders pushing insidious propaganda.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:15 AM, doc longhorn said:

Propaganda is both insidious and powerful.  Look what Goebbels did with the German people and the German Jews.  The rest of Germany stood by while the jews homes and businesses were being destroyed and while the Jews were degraded, tormented and slaughtered. 

Here in the US, illegal aliens have been redefined as "undocumented workers" - never mind they are in our country illegally.  This is just one example of government leaders pushing insidious propaganda.

Indeed. My mother was nine at the end of the war. She always thought the Jews were guilty until she saw the truth. She cried like a baby when she saw how ruthlessly the Germans had treated the Jews. It wasn't long until the propaganda she heard continuously as a child kicked in and re-hardened her.

The power of propaganda is powerful with the young and naive. And can influence them the rest of their lives.