Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Five Thoughts Following The Win Over Tulsa

I was in and out watching this game tonight due to a prior commitment, but I am going to shoot a few thoughts from the hip on the lackluster win against the Golden Hurricane of Tulsa this evening.

• ·         The Lack of Killer Instinct

This team still has not figured out how to beat up on an inferior opponent and step on the throat when the opportunity presents itself. This Tulsa team won two games last year and on paper isn’t even close to the talent level of Texas. Yet after shutting Tulsa out in the first half, the Golden Hurricane managed to rally and make this a close game when Texas sputtered on offense and the defense finally started breaking after bending on several occasions in the red zone.

This was a game that Texas was supposed to be able build an early lead, get the starters out, and allow your reserves to get some valuable live game reps and that was never able to happen. If you can’t beat up on a team that probably cashed a check to come play in Austin this weekend, then I don’t even want to begin to think what will happen when USC rolls into town.

• ·         Feed Keontay Ingram

Every time number 26 in burnt orange and white touches the ball he flashes. The talent he shows is undeniable and he once again found himself in the end zone this week. Ingram received more carries, but I still want to see him get the ball put in his belly because it’s obvious he can be a play maker for this offense, but just needs the opportunities.

This is nothing against Tre Watson, who had a solid night at the office, but Ingram is the long term bell cow back for this offense and his development needs to be put on the express lane going forward.

• ·         This Isn’t Last Year’s Defense

While I expecting the defense to struggle some against Maryland, but I was not expecting some of the struggles I saw tonight. This game was a few missed field goals and some dropped passes from looking very different and would have swung the game in favor of the Golden Hurricane. On one hand you want to commend the defense for bowing its neck on several occasions early on and keeping Tulsa off the board, but on the other side of the coin they conceded several big plays and 4th down conversions down the home stretch that allowed Tulsa to stay on the field and make it a game.

Another thing to note is that Texas once again struggled to get pressure on the quarterback and didn’t record a sack when the defensive front was expected to be a strength coming into the season. None of this bodes particularly well, as the schedule only gets tougher going forward.

• ·         The Future Is Bright At Safety

A bright spot from tonight that I have to mention is the highlight plays made by freshmen safeties Caden Sterns and BJ Foster. Both former five star recruits have forced their way onto the field early and both came away with interceptions tonight. It’s hard to understate how difficult it is to see the field so early at a position that requires so much cerebral awareness, but so far Foster and Sterns have taken to it like fish to water and have rewarded the defense staff with some solid play the first two weeks.

• ·         Offensive Line Performance

While the offense still has some kinks to work out, the offensive turned in a pretty solid performance and once again provided Sam Ehlinger with good protection and kept him clean. On top of keeping Ehlinger off his back, the big fellas up front paved the way for the run game to the tune of 241 yards at 5 yards a carry and you will take that all day and twice on Sundays.

While this game will certainly be graded on a curve because of the opponent, it is encouraging to see this unit playing much better than they did last year and that will be very beneficial for offense as they try to hit their stride.

I'd like to see more straight hand offs. It's always slow developing plays like read options. Ingram and other RBs were getting hit too quick. Why not have some 2 back formations? 

The OL did what they were supposed to do in pass protection, Tulsa only rushed 3. They are still better than last year, but the run blocking is still sloppy.

Texas needs to find a way to utilize the WRs better. You have 2 mismatches in Johnson/Humphrey. Also the WRs are really bad at blocking.

Pretty good analysis.  Just thought I would mention another problem that is retarding the growth and effectiveness of our players.  I ran across a Sooners site sorta like this one.  In an article there, the writer points out that Lincoln Riley, who has been great at OU, always strives to tailor his offense to suit the natural abilities and experiences of each player.  Tom Herman, unlike Riley, expects everyone to conform to his system - and no other.  We have seen which coach has experienced success and it ain't Tom. 

23 minutes ago, '69Horns said:

Pretty good analysis.  Just thought I would mention another problem that is retarding the growth and effectiveness of our players.  I ran across a Sooners site sorta like this one.  In an article there, the writer points out that Lincoln Riley, who has been great at OU, always strives to tailor his offense to suit the natural abilities and experiences of each player.  Tom Herman, unlike Riley, expects everyone to conform to his system - and no other.  We have seen which coach has experienced success and it ain't Tom. 

Lincoln Riley is a superior play caller to Herman as much as I hate saying that 

8 hours ago, java said:

In the postgame Herman mentioned an injury to Ingram, but noted that it won’t slow his progress. No way for me to know what it is.  

He said they have to get it checked out today, and Ingram will continue to be a bigger fact IF this injury does set him back. That was still up in the air. Need him for USC, although I believe with or without him it could be very ugly

21 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

This game was so bad that it almost makes you forget Maryland.....................almost.

Tulsa hasnt won a road game in 2+ years.  They only won 2 games last year. 

Somehow Herman tried to paint Tulsa as a worthy test because every team Texas plays gives more effort beause we are Texas.  

10 hours ago, java said:

In the postgame Herman mentioned an injury to Ingram, but noted that it won’t slow his progress. No way for me to know what it is.  

I believe it was the 3rd quarter I saw Ingram unload on a block for an LJH run. He rolled over and got up slowly. I’m sure it rung his bell. He came back in later for a couple of plays, maybe two, but I didn’t see him after that. I’d bet money it’s precautionary for a concussion. 

1 minute ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I don't know guys. The problems seem too obvious and too apparent. This team shouldn't be this bad. And Tom is kinda of acting weird.

I think there's something going on behind the scenes or underneath the surface that we don't know about. 

That's my theory. 

His spoken words seem to have changed in tone and he seems to avoid eye contact.

Very odd game for Texas on offense. They almost eclipsed the 500 yard mark, yet the cohesion is not there. The coaching staff has to know their personnel better. Could you imagine Lil Jordan Humphrey in Lincoln Riley’s offense and how many different ways they would try to get him the ball? Same with Devin Duvernay. 

35 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Texas has three better options at the position and he has a fumbling problem. He will likely at some point and nobody will be surprised. 

Yup, I agree. Just sharing his tweet. Believe he deleted it now though 

24 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

Very odd game for Texas on offense. They almost eclipsed the 500 yard mark, yet the cohesion is not there. The coaching staff has to know their personnel better. Could you imagine Lil Jordan Humphrey in Lincoln Riley’s offense and how many different ways they would try to get him the ball? Same with Devin Duvernay. 

I said the same thing on another forum. Can’t you imagine what Collin Johnson and LGH would be with Sooners offense. It’s sad we even have to say that but they’d be top tier draft candidates with a better offensive scheme. Or a team with any scheme at all

@Daniel Seahorn I’ll be ready for you to post the USC info later this week and hear your thoughts. I know it was against a good Stanford defense but USC offense didn’t impress me at all. It’s going to be REAL tough with the way the horns are plays but I dont think SC is nearly as good I originally thought they’d be. Crazy Texas Gaines 500+ yards but still only scores 28 points. Seems so rare. 

As much as I hate to say it, the problem on O may be with the QB. Just not seeing the leadership and he doesn't seem phased by the lack of success. I love Sam Ehlinger, I've always stuck up for him. But I love my Horns more and its time for this offense looking for a place to rest to get up and look alive.

We have the talent at WR. We have the talent at RB. We have the talent now at OL. Something isn't in sync here. I think its at QB.

19 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

As much as I hate to say it, the problem on O may be with the QB. Just not seeing the leadership and he doesn't seem phased by the lack of success. I love Sam Ehlinger, I've always stuck up for him. But I love my Horns more and its time for this offense looking for a place to rest to get up and look alive.

We have the talent at WR. We have the talent at RB. We have the talent now at OL. Something isn't in sync here. I think its at QB.

He was 21-27 which isn’t shabby but I agree. To slow on RPO and offense seems sluggish with him. Im afraid Herman will ride with same till he is shown the door though. Something def happened in the 2nd half, was a different offense. The bad one 

After 2 games, my thinking is as follows"

1.  Herman called offensive plays for both games.  He's terrible. 

2.  When we hired Herman I expected intelligence and intuition from him.  I haven't seen it.

3.  Herman, including last year, is looking more and more like a flash in the UH pan.

4.  Does anyone remember hearing Hager's, Omenihu's or Nelson's names being called out in any play?

5.  Ingram should have started and should never have come out except to take a blow for running up and down the field.

6.  Is there only bubble screens in our playbook - no power sweeps with Ingram as the RB?

7.  I think we need to go to a 4 man DL.

8.  We cannot win championships with Ehlinger.  He tries hard but doesn't have it.