Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
FightOnSC

Austin and Game Day Insights

Hello Texas fans...

USC Trojan here, I come in peace.

Looking forward to the game next Saturday. Hopefully it is as exciting as last years game. This will be my first time visiting Austin and was hoping to get some input as to some things to see and do in Austin as well as on game day.  We are staying in or near downtown. I'm sure there are a wide variety of opinions, but what would be some of the best restaurants to check out? Nightlife... where is the place or area to be or places to go for a fun atmosphere?

Most importantly, I always enjoy seeing as much of game day traditions and campus as possible. What are some of the "don't miss" traditions you would recommend? Parts of campus to see? Since we don't have a tailgate, what are the best bars to hang out before kickoff? Any other general information that would be good to know is appreciated. I assume people will be selling tickets outside the stadium?

Of course, any football talk is welcome as well. Anything you want to share about Texas or want to know about USC, would love to discuss.

Thanks in advance!

Fight On!!!

Welcome to the board, FightOnSC! We are glad to have you. On gameday, there are usually a variety of tailgates you can go to. This year, there is something new called Bevo Blvd. It is near the stadium and has a variety of food trucks and entertainment for pregame festivities. I would recommend checking that out and maybe just walking around campus to get a feel for what Austin is like. Look up some local restaurants like Kerbey Lane and Trudy's too if you want to have some good Austin food. Enjoy your stay! Hopefully others that are in the area will provide some recommendations.

Read somewhere that Sholz Garten is the oldest bar in Texas. A lot of bars were closed during Prohibition but Sholz's wasn't (probably didn't serve alcohol though). Never bowled there. Original Kerby Lane on 35th and Kerby Lane and Magnolia Cafe (open 24 hrs) on Lake Austin Blvd are mainstays. Best pancakes are at the Omelettry at 45th and Airport. Get there before 9 am or wait a long time.

On 9/6/2018 at 5:12 AM, FightOnSC said:

Hello Texas fans...

USC Trojan here, I come in peace.

Looking forward to the game next Saturday. Hopefully it is as exciting as last years game. This will be my first time visiting Austin and was hoping to get some input as to some things to see and do in Austin as well as on game day.  We are staying in or near downtown. I'm sure there are a wide variety of opinions, but what would be some of the best restaurants to check out? Nightlife... where is the place or area to be or places to go for a fun atmosphere?

Most importantly, I always enjoy seeing as much of game day traditions and campus as possible. What are some of the "don't miss" traditions you would recommend? Parts of campus to see? Since we don't have a tailgate, what are the best bars to hang out before kickoff? Any other general information that would be good to know is appreciated. I assume people will be selling tickets outside the stadium?

Of course, any football talk is welcome as well. Anything you want to share about Texas or want to know about USC, would love to discuss.

Thanks in advance!

Fight On!!!

Welcome and don't worry were not like Ohio State fans.

I have some questions about USC. UT has been going through some tough times lately and it seems that USC is going through the same thing. The last two coaches UT has hired Strong and Herman were both at the top of the list nationally during the season that they were hired. However, every time USC has hired a new coach they don't go for the best coach available, it's the best coach who has USC ties. Kiffin, Sarkisian, and Helton are all  hires that I thought that USC could do better.

Helton has lost three games his first two seasons and if I were a Trojan fan I would have a problem with that considering USC has had a top 10 recruiting class every year on this team.  It looks like Sam Darnold is the real deal and is going to be a star. My question since I don't follow USC closely is how could USC not make the championship playoffs with all their top ten talent and a franchise QB like Darnold unless Helton is not a very good coach.

Most UT fans believe this is a very important game for Herman and his program, however I believe it's also an important game for Clay Helton. If UT wins then that could mean USC could lose another three or four games again this season. I would think he would be on the hot seat next year. What is the general thoughts from USC fans about Helton?

Also, what's your opinion on Fink if Daniel struggles and your thoughts on the USC OL and DL. Don't worry about giving us any inside information. Tom Herman does not read this board. Otherwise, he would be 15-0.:)

Primal defense, your analysis is pretty spot on. As far as Helton, you answered the question in your last sentence. While Helton is a nice guy and has stabilized the program from the kiffen and Sarkisian fiasco, I dont feel that he is that great of a coach. Nice guy doesn't necessarily win games. He does continue to recruit well, with top classes, but that doesn't translate to dominance on the field. He'll win the games he is supposed to win, but when matched against other top programs he hasn't produced. I believe that is the general consensus amongst the fan base... not many were happy with the hire. As you rightly point out, USC notoriously hires a USC guy rather than going after the best available. Again, to the frustration ofvthe fan base. The short answer is the coaching. Not only at the HC level, but perhaps more overwhelmingly with the OC and OLine coach. T Martin, the OC, is proven to be in way over his head. Many want him replaced. Great recruiter but has proven that he can het the job done. 

This leads to your question on the OLine. Very soft and the OLine coach, who came from Western Kentucky, is terrible. If your Dline is as good as last year, they should cause a lot of problems. If Helton doesn't upgrade his staff, he may out of a job... but probably not anytime soon. He just got a contract extension and the university is putting a ton of money into Coliseum renovations, another sore subject amongst the fan base, so most likely won't be looking to spend additional money on a buyout. 

The DLine is good, and finally deep. Our front 7 is our best group, along with talented receivers that we have.

JT is obviously a talent, but young and will have growing pains like last week versus Stanford. Again do we have the coaching to properly develop him, who knows. As you mentioned about Sam, even with Jets coaching lol he will be great. As good as he was at USC, probably could have been better... probably a big reason why he left. I think he would have stayed otherwise. 

With Fink, I think he could fill in as necessary but the coaches will ride JT for the most part. JT did suffer a hand injury last week but should be ok. Fink has been in the system for 3 years now and granted didn't have hardly any game experience, but couldnt be out a kid who is basically a high school senior. I think Fink is serviceable and will probably have some wrinkles put in for him.

I'm surprised to hear that Herman's seat is warming already? I know he hasnt had the impact that many were hoping for but it is only his second year... correct? To an outsider, it seems the progam has improved... save for Maryland I guess. I would think he should have at least one more year before the seat gets hot. 

Lengthy post, sorry. Sitting at the airport so I had time. Hope I answered your questions and provided some insights. Plane is ready to board so will be in Austin in a couple hours.

When you get down to the campus area find San Jacinto Street. Head North past the stadium. Keep walking until you see the san jacinto garage. In the grass area you will see a tailgate group called UT-Tailgaters. Come on by.. Ask for Mike. 

15 hours ago, FightOnSC said:

Primal defense, your analysis is pretty spot on. As far as Helton, you answered the question in your last sentence. While Helton is a nice guy and has stabilized the program from the kiffen and Sarkisian fiasco, I dont feel that he is that great of a coach. Nice guy doesn't necessarily win games. He does continue to recruit well, with top classes, but that doesn't translate to dominance on the field. He'll win the games he is supposed to win, but when matched against other top programs he hasn't produced. I believe that is the general consensus amongst the fan base... not many were happy with the hire. As you rightly point out, USC notoriously hires a USC guy rather than going after the best available. Again, to the frustration ofvthe fan base. The short answer is the coaching. Not only at the HC level, but perhaps more overwhelmingly with the OC and OLine coach. T Martin, the OC, is proven to be in way over his head. Many want him replaced. Great recruiter but has proven that he can het the job done. 

This leads to your question on the OLine. Very soft and the OLine coach, who came from Western Kentucky, is terrible. If your Dline is as good as last year, they should cause a lot of problems. If Helton doesn't upgrade his staff, he may out of a job... but probably not anytime soon. He just got a contract extension and the university is putting a ton of money into Coliseum renovations, another sore subject amongst the fan base, so most likely won't be looking to spend additional money on a buyout. 

The DLine is good, and finally deep. Our front 7 is our best group, along with talented receivers that we have.

JT is obviously a talent, but young and will have growing pains like last week versus Stanford. Again do we have the coaching to properly develop him, who knows. As you mentioned about Sam, even with Jets coaching lol he will be great. As good as he was at USC, probably could have been better... probably a big reason why he left. I think he would have stayed otherwise. 

With Fink, I think he could fill in as necessary but the coaches will ride JT for the most part. JT did suffer a hand injury last week but should be ok. Fink has been in the system for 3 years now and granted didn't have hardly any game experience, but couldnt be out a kid who is basically a high school senior. I think Fink is serviceable and will probably have some wrinkles put in for him.

I'm surprised to hear that Herman's seat is warming already? I know he hasnt had the impact that many were hoping for but it is only his second year... correct? To an outsider, it seems the progam has improved... save for Maryland I guess. I would think he should have at least one more year before the seat gets hot. 

Lengthy post, sorry. Sitting at the airport so I had time. Hope I answered your questions and provided some insights. Plane is ready to board so will be in Austin in a couple hours.

Our DL has one sack after two games, so far we do not look improved on the DL. Yes,Herman's seat is warming, however it can cool down with a win on Saturday. 

Yes.  Herman has improved the team. We went from 6 to 7 wins and the big difference was Herman was able to beat Kansas.  Be sure to mark it on your calendar for the day after Thanksgiving for the Texas-Kansas game. 

I hope you enjoy Austin, the bar-be-que, and sixth street. I even hope you enjoy the game. Just not the final score.

Congratulations to the Longhorns for a well earned victory, and thanks again to everyone who provided insights about Austin. Despite the outcome Saturday night, my crew and I had a fun time in Austin.

Special thanks to MBHORNSFAN for your invite and tailgate hospitality. It is much appreciated. 

Funny thing, all the Texas fans that I came across leading up to the game believed that USC would win. All of us Trojans thought that Texas would win. Guess WE were right lol. This is one time I was hoping to be proven wrong!

Have a great season and best of luck the rest of the way! Perhaps we will have a chance to meet up again in the future.

Fight on!!!

P.S. That was a safety lol

I'm glad you enjoyed Austin. You only had the 1st quarter to enjoy the game. I thought of you after the game and felt bad for you but not because USC, but because they looked like a poorly coached team especially with the top ten recruiting classes every year.

I read that there talking about getting rid of Tee Martin and the OL coach after the season.and usually that's the first step of a dead coach walking. 

Let's make a deal UT will give you that safety, so the final score was 37-16. Your part of the deal is to get USC to count the 2006 Rose Bowl as a lost instead of a forfeit.:) Take care.