Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
doc longhorn

Football practices - any info?

2 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Sounds like the defense won today’s scrimmage but wasn’t as lop sided as one would think. Which speaks volumes about the progress from the offense 

Our defense is going to be SALTY.  A source told me that the last practice became a little testy.  There were some grown men in each other's faces. :) 

We aren’t able to send anyone for the practice availabilities right now, but we Have  that there is a quiet optimism about the team heading into the season. Health will obviously play a key factor a particular spots, but the team isn’t lacking confidence heading into year two under Herman. 

52 minutes ago, Texas2725 said:

Yup.  Inside Texas discussed this in detail in their Scoop piece today.  Good stuff.

It was a good read, sucks no QB is leaps and bounds better than the other. But atleast they made it sound like either QB will be mediocre, enough to win games. I’ll take a 7-8 out of 10 for defense and 5-6 for offense. That’s progress 

37 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

ux2Uaut.gif

Here's what I saw in the little bit I was out there.

Kerstetter took most of the 1st team snaps at C and the most physical grouping in the middle, G-C-G, was Hudson, Kerstetter, Imade.  And Calvin Anderson looked real good against both Hager and Omenihu. One bystander, who knows the position well said Kerstetter looked like an NFL center. 

The QB's were nothing special and Ingram is far and away the best natural runner on the roster.

WR's were okay and TE's were meh. 

Actually I wasn't there. I read all of that on Surly Horns.

56 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Kerstetter took most of the 1st team snaps at C and the most physical grouping in the middle, G-C-G, was Hudson, Kerstetter, Imade.  And Calvin Anderson looked real good against both Hager and Omenihu. One bystander, who knows the position well said Kerstetter looked like an NFL center. 

The QB's were nothing special and Ingram is far and away the best natural runner on the roster.

Haha me 2. Only thing that site is good for 

3 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

VERY interesting and thanks for passing this along.

Mildly surprised to see Tope Imade's name in there. But also very encouraging. Same for Hudson.

IMO, its only wise to find depth at center. And if Kerstetter beats out Shack, so be it.

Great to hear about Anderson. I had heard he looked smallish.

57 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

VERY interesting and thanks for passing this along.

Mildly surprised to see Tope Imade's name in there. But also very encouraging. Same for Hudson.

IMO, its only wise to find depth at center. And if Kerstetter beats out Shack, so be it.

Great to hear about Anderson. I had heard he looked smallish.

I have never been too impressed with Shack at center.  Not sure if that is a result of his play or poor play next to him, or maybe he is better served at another spot?

13 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

I have never been too impressed with Shack at center.  Not sure if that is a result of his play or poor play next to him, or maybe he is better served at another spot?

Shack is a decent C and he has a nasty streak to him. However, there has always been 2 big issues with him:

1. Injuries.  He has missed multiple games every season

2. Poor snaps in zone read or shotgun.  There were times last year I thought the offense moved the ball better with Cuney at C.  He may not have been a better blocker than Shack, but his snaps were quick and on point where the QB could make better reads.

51 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

All summer long, Longhorn sites and the media have been talking about Ehlinger being the starter.  But I am hearing that Buechele looks like a smaller Colt McCoy.  We'll see.

Doc,

Thank you for the info.  Could you give us "Burnt Heads" that do not have the connections that you do any more incite on what you are hearing from your sources?  

Any info you provide is much appreciated.

Thanks Again

1 hour ago, 605Longhorn said:

Doc,

Thank you for the info.  Could you give us "Burnt Heads" that do not have the connections that you do any more incite on what you are hearing from your sources?  

Any info you provide is much appreciated.

Thanks Again

Ehlinger was the media leader because of his ability to run.  And he still may be.  But Buechele didn't come to town on a load of cabbage and may very well wind up being the starter.  Like Herman said - whichever QB gets the offense across the goal most consistently, will be the starter.  The other sites are saying neither QB is showing out that much.  I hear differently.  Trust me on this.

39 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

Ehlinger was the media leader because of his ability to run.  And he still may be.  But Buechele didn't come to town on a load of cabbage and may very well wind up being the starter.  Like Herman said - whichever QB gets the offense across the goal most consistently, will be the starter.  The other sites are saying neither QB is showing out that much.  I hear differently.  Trust me on this.

Thanks Doc!  My opinion has always been that the qb we trot out has everything to do with 2 other position groups: the oline (of course) & the rb.  If our line is blocking consistently well; creating lanes in the run game, and our rb's can read and hit those lanes then Buechele is probably the guy.  His accuracy is elite which only make our wr's better due to well placed balls. If our line is just as shotty or shows very little improvement and our rb's have no holes and aren't willing/can't create on their own, then Sam is the guy.  There are a lot of yards to be had for a running college qb.  And Sam is more fit for that role.  Just my opinion...

20 hours ago, DBut82 said:

Thanks Doc!  My opinion has always been that the qb we trot out has everything to do with 2 other position groups: the oline (of course) & the rb.  If our line is blocking consistently well; creating lanes in the run game, and our rb's can read and hit those lanes then Buechele is probably the guy.  His accuracy is elite which only make our wr's better due to well placed balls. If our line is just as shotty or shows very little improvement and our rb's have no holes and aren't willing/can't create on their own, then Sam is the guy.  There are a lot of yards to be had for a running college qb.  And Sam is more fit for that role.  Just my opinion...

I was told that one of the coaches said if we can give the QB's just 3 more seconds, we will win 10 games.  Strong words, indeed.  :)

1 hour ago, doc longhorn said:

I was told that one of the coaches said if we can give the QB's just 3 more seconds, we will win 10 games.  Strong words, indeed.  :)

4 or 5 seconds as opposed to 1 or 2?

+3 seconds is an eternity against a competent pass rush and/or blitz package.

16 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Who is starting on the OL at Right Tackle?

Latest thing I've heard is Cosmi has been working with the 1s at RT.  It's possible there could 3 or 4 new starters on the OL this year. From left to right,  Anderson, Vahe, Kerstetter, Hudson, and Cosmi.  Hell, I heard the nastiest interior group has been Imade, Kerstetter, and Hudson.  Angilau could also make a run at some point.