Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
doc longhorn

Football practices - any info?

3 hours ago, primal defense said:
I do believe that you have  multi-millionaires that have made MAJOR contributions to the University of Texas and I do believe you that you  being told that the coaches think they have a conference contender and are coaching with a quiet excitement. Although, I'm not quite sure what quiet excitement is . It is good to know that Tim Beck is confident going into the season.

My point is that you had these sources last year and your post were just as positive as they are now. I have a good enough memory from 12 months ago and your sources and the coaches were very confident about the team last year and then we go and lose to Maryland.  You and inside sources did not warn us that the team was going to have big problems on offense.

I've never been a coach in football, however if I was a coach at UT and a major donor ask me how the team was going to do this year, I would look at them as my boss and I would be a positive about the team and season as possible. I'm not going to tell Red McCombs that this is a rebuilding year. 

I can assume we will beat Maryland with all their troubles and Tulsa, so we will have a good idea in a month when we play USC, I can wait to have quiet excitement about the team.

I go by what I am told.  I trust my sources.  However, I have always said that info I get is truth mixed with personal opinion.  My guys are orange bloods to the core and, like all of us, are looking for optimistic nuggets for their own expectations.  But you can't really expect optimistic expectations to be etched in resulting granite.  That is a recipe for frustration and, in your case, skepticism.

Suffice to say - if the coaches are optimistic, I am optimistic.  

As far as Maryland I have a few opinions.

1.  The turmoil at that program could be a disaster for them this year.  Or the team could fall out against us with redemption blood in their eyes.

Would that matter?  Yeah, college football is emotional and many a game has been won or lost because of it.

In addition, they are bringing back most of the offensive firepower that torched us last year.  That can't be ignored.

Will that matter?  Nope, and this is where the Koolaide comes into play.

It will be a close game through the first half.  In the second half, we will curb stomp them.  Thus activating the national media to anoint us as sleeper darlings and watch out for Texas.

That's my opinion.

8 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

As far as Maryland I have a few opinions.

1.  The turmoil at that program could be a disaster for them this year.  Or the team could fall out against us with redemption blood in their eyes.

Would that matter?  Yeah, college football is emotional and many a game has been won or lost because of it.

In addition, they are bringing back most of the offensive firepower that torched us last year.  That can't be ignored.

Will that matter?  Nope, and this is where the Koolaide comes into play.

It will be a close game through the first half.  In the second half, we will curb stomp them.  Thus activating the national media to anoint us as sleeper darlings and watch out for Texas.

That's my opinion.

You're already seeing calls for reinstatement of the HC by Maryland players. I don't know if thats for show or if its legit.

So yeah, that could be a rallying point and a way of seeing it as "us against the world."

I don't think they beat us, even if they were to find that as a rallying cause.

The media has left this story alone, in general terms, since it broke. Certainly not the same treatment as Ohio State is getting. Of course, that last round of revelations of Zach Smith was about as ugly as it gets.

59 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

You're already seeing calls for reinstatement of the HC by Maryland players. I don't know if thats for show or if its legit.

So yeah, that could be a rallying point and a way of seeing it as "us against the world."

I don't think they beat us, even if they were to find that as a rallying cause.

The media has left this story alone, in general terms, since it broke. Certainly not the same treatment as Ohio State is getting. Of course, that last round of revelations of Zach Smith was about as ugly as it gets.

Come on SHA, it’s not like you have never taken nuddie shots of yourself at the Whitehouse before!

13 hours ago, primal defense said:
I do believe that you have  multi-millionaires that have made MAJOR contributions to the University of Texas and I do believe you that you  being told that the coaches think they have a conference contender and are coaching with a quiet excitement. Although, I'm not quite sure what quiet excitement is . It is good to know that Tim Beck is confident going into the season.

My point is that you had these sources last year and your post were just as positive as they are now. I have a good enough memory from 12 months ago and your sources and the coaches were very confident about the team last year and then we go and lose to Maryland.  You and inside sources did not warn us that the team was going to have big problems on offense.

I've never been a coach in football, however if I was a coach at UT and a major donor ask me how the team was going to do this year, I would look at them as my boss and I would be a positive about the team and season as possible. I'm not going to tell Red McCombs that this is a rebuilding year. 

I can assume we will beat Maryland with all their troubles and Tulsa, so we will have a good idea in a month when we play USC, I can wait to have quiet excitement about the team.

Primal....I am just curious why you think what the coaches tell the BMD may or may not reflect what they really think, but you are sure what the coaches say to the media is gospel.

....just seems strange to me.

It sounds like Primal feels like the jilted bride.  The groom made a promise he didn't keep. 

None of the experts expected Texas to have the season they did.  And show me one person that wasn't totally shocked by the Maryland game.

In addition, a paper thin OL took a monumental hit when it lost its All American LT.

But Primal was right when he said I expected a better season than we had.  Guilty as charged.

And I expect an excellent season this year as well.

Sue me.

1 hour ago, doc longhorn said:

It sounds like Primal feels like the jilted bride.  The groom made a promise he didn't keep. 

None of the experts expected Texas to have the season they did.  And show me one person that wasn't totally shocked by the Maryland game.

In addition, a paper thin OL took a monumental hit when it lost its All American LT.

But Primal was right when he said I expected a better season than we had.  Guilty as charged.

Sue me.

Is this covered by your medical malpractice insurance if the season doesn't go as planned?  :ph34r:

13 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Sue me.

With our defense, if we would have had an average OL last year we would have won 2 or 3 more games (opinion).  

What I’m hearing about the OL gives me great optimism. If.... if one of our two QBs steps up to the “good” classification, I think this season could be special.  

The latest practice info I got was Buechele was throwing darts through keyholes.  Now even if you are the HC and you have decided Sam will be the starting QB (and they had), this kind of performance is hard to ignore.  And it is Orlando whispering in Herman's ear about starting Buechele.

So even though I think Ehlinger will be the starter - we'll see.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

giphy.gif

I personally will not read too much into this.  Tre Watson is versatile , Daniel Young is a bull that doesn't do anything great, but does a lot of things well, and Ingram is also versatile, but more electric.  Johnson will get more and more snaps as the season goes along, imo.  Has to stay healthy though.  That's the only issue with him.  Carter will transfer after this year. Have no clue what Tristan Houston is doing, but Kudos to him for sticking it out.  Have no idea what to do with Porter.

1 hour ago, texbound said:

I personally will not read too much into this.  Tre Watson is versatile , Daniel Young is a bull that doesn't do anything great, but does a lot of things well, and Ingram is also versatile, but more electric.  Johnson will get more and more snaps as the season goes along, imo.  Has to stay healthy though.  That's the only issue with him.  Carter will transfer after this year. Have no clue what Tristan Houston is doing, but Kudos to him for sticking it out.  Have no idea what to do with Porter.

I only posted that because I'm a big fan of Kirk Johnson and had my hopes renewed with the recent promising practice reports.

Now this. Ugh.