Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

My Take On The DeShon Elliott Stuff...

I thought my day couldn’t get anymore eventful after watching the Kawhi Leonard/DeMar DeRozan trade play out in real time in the wee hours of the morning. After coming out of my slumber I found out I was very wrong. 

Im going to shoot this from the hip because from my cell phone so excuse my typos...

By now I’m sure y’all have already seen DeShon’s rant on Twitter (if not there is a thread on the board with the links). My initial reaction was that this could have been handled offline in private so that it was now not a national story, but there has clearly been a lot brewing beneath the surface for awhile that eventually lead to this. 

It’s been well documented that majority of us here and elsewhere thought Elliott should return for his senior year, but at the end of day if a player is bent on leaving he is going to leave. We heard when Elliott notified the staff that he more or less leaned into the head man’s office and said “I’m leaving” before going on his way. That was an indicator then that all wasn’t on the up and up between both parties involved and probably played a factor in why we didn’t see Elliott back in Austin for his senior year. 

There’s obviously been a lot of tension between Elliott and staff members for some time now, but this wasn’t something that ever flared up publicly until now. Elliott was never mentioned as a problem, he was a prominent player on the team and viewed as a leader, he never had an of the field transgressions. So in that vein I’m not ready to trash his character or slander his name because of today’s events. 

Do I think he could have handled it differently? Sure. Probably would have been best to have handled it privately and not made it a headline, but I’ve never heard or thought DeShon was a bad guy and still don’t. None of us would be happy to hear that former coaches were dogging you after you had left. There probably should have been an intervention long before his ever transpired, but that horse is out of the barn now. 

There are always going to be players on teams who don’t see eye to eye with the staff. That’s just the way things go. But one thing I can say in this case was that Elliott still went out there, strapped it up and was all business when they teed it up on Saturdays and didn’t ever stop playing hard for his teammates. 

There’s obviously a ton to this story that won’t ever be made public, but in my opinion both sides could have handled this a lot better so that there wasn’t a public fallout from it. Don’t bash former players as staff members and don’t make private matters public as the former player so that it becomes national news. 

The unfortnate part of this situation is that it will likely be used against the university at one point or another and I’m sure that neither the staff or Elliott wanted that in the first place. Hindsight is 20/20 though and all you can do is try to move forward. Elliott needs to focus on his rookie season ahead and the staff has a season rapidly approaching.

Is it September yet? 

You know what? If I was Herman I would address this situation ASAP.. before this gets out of hand. This could've been handled differently. Now I respected Deshon for what he did out in the field, but what he just did there was put a target practice on Herman's back during the rest of the recruiting season. Get ready ladies and gentlemen it's gonna be a bumpy ride 

3 minutes ago, shotime73 said:

You know what? If I was Herman I would address this situation ASAP.. before this gets out of hand. This could've been handled differently. Now I respected Deshon for what he did out in the field, but what he just did there was put a target practice on Herman's back during the rest of the recruiting season. Get ready ladies and gentlemen it's gonna be a bumpy ride 

Doubtful it gets addressed publicly, but agreed it gave folks ammunition. 

17 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

"None of us would be happy to hear that former coaches were dogging you after you had left"

"Don’t bash former players as staff members"

Does anyone know for a fact that either of these things actually happened?

Things have been implied in the past, but we are digging for more context to see what set off the powder keg today. 

The reality is there are players on every team that don’t like their coach. The only difference is most players keep it in house and don’t express it publicly. Unfortunately, players now think social media is a way to voice stuff that should otherwise probably not be shared.

It is unfortunate people will only ever hear one side of the story because there is a 0% chance any Texas coach addresses this publicly. Tom Herman could be entirely in the wrong, but we will never know for sure.

As Daniel said, can we please fast forward to September 1st?  

Fellows, I think DeShon did a really nice job for us last year, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t easy for him. If you recall, he dated (and probably still is) Haley Strong. Pretty certain they were still seeing each other late last year. 

That probably made for a difficult situation. 

1 minute ago, java said:

Fellows, I think DeShon did a really nice job for us last year, and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t easy for him. If you recall, he dated (and probably still is) Haley Strong. Pretty certain they were still seeing each other late last year. 

That probably made for a difficult situation. 

Well after hearing Herman speak about Hager and him saying they didn’t hardly even speak until a sack in the OSU game (which was well into the season) then that tells me It was tough to get the current players to fully buy in. Sounds like Herman and company are on the right track now, should lead to a lot of improvement on the field 

13 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

https://www.hookem.com/story/source-deshon-elliotts-twitter-rant-sparked-texas-coaches-reaction-july-4-party/

This adds a little bit of context, but there are still some gaps to be filled in. 

My guess is that there may have been some borderline team violations at the pool party.  Some of the players may have thought it was no big deal.  The coaches thought it was.  Deshon may have been on the hot seat for awhile and some may have been warned to stay clear until things cooled down.  Strictly a family matter.  We probably will never know.

Unfortunately, SHO is right about ammo for the competition.  I also agree with Java that there may have been more personal reasons involved with his rant.

Just win starting in September.

Whatever happened or was readily available at the party/bender seems like an issue and the coaching staff may not have cared for it.

The Shadow Boxer lacks maturity and it's obvious.  He needs to grow up and handle things like a man!  If he cared about the program, he never would have gone on a twitter rant.  But, he is still a selfish and immature kid.

I have read through most every thread on this and other sites and I have not seen one thing that has made me question anything Herman and his staff have done regarding this situation. None, zero, zip, nada.

And I don't doubt for one minute that the coaches had a valid reason, or reasons, for not wanting current players to attend the pool party. 

15 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I have read through most every thread on this and other sites and I have not seen one thing that has made me question anything Herman and his staff have done regarding this situation. None, zero, zip, nada.

And I don't doubt for one minute that the coaches had a valid reason, or reasons, for not wanting current players to attend the pool party. 

From an outside perspective I imagine part of the rhetoric from the staff to dissuade people from showing up was, “why would you want to go do that when this guy decided to just F’n quit on y’all.” That’s exactly what I would have said if in that room. Whole lot of spoiled entitlement in the twitter rant anyway. #DontPressSend

We know nothing about this rant on Twitter other than the end results. Perhaps the coaches are jerks that needed to be called out. Perhaps the coaches feared " bad" elements attending this party and simply tried to warn current players away.

We may or may not ever know the real deal, but it certainly makes for some interest in an otherwise boring dead period.