Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Jameson McCausland

2018 MLB Draft Thread

Rounds 1 and 2 of the MLB Draft were held Monday night and the only Texas player/commit that was selected was RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson, who was taken 48th overall by the New York Mets. Woods-Richardson is expected to sign and forego his college commitment to Texas. 

Rounds 3-10 will begin shortly, and the draft will conclude tomorrow with rounds 11-40.

Follow this thread for live updates on where currently Texas players and commits are selected.

Question for you guys.

If a high school kid doesn't get drafted by the 10th round do you think he has a good chance of electing to go to college? Or what round would you say is the tipping point for going pro or going to college?

5 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

Question for you guys.

If a high school kid doesn't get drafted by the 10th round do you think he has a good chance of electing to go to college? Or what round would you say is the tipping point for going pro or going to college?

Definitely after the 10th round. Most guys in the first 10 rounds already have agreed to a contract bonus in principle before the pick. 

After the 10th I would only worry if a player went to a team that saved a lot of money with their first 10 picks. 

21 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

Question for you guys.

The 10th round is most likely the tipping point. The max bonus a player can receive if he is drafted after the 10th round is $100,000. If you are a high school player being drafted after the 10th round, you would be smart to go to college.

2 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

Who are the college prospects other than Clemens, Kingham, and Shugart?

I imagine DJ Petrinsky and Masen Hibbeler will be picked at some point. Ryan Reynolds and Blair Henley are both draft eligible sophomores, but they should both be back next season. Unlike last season, I don’t expect the draft to hurt Texas too much.

11 minutes ago, MBHORNSFAN said:

Can we get an updated commit list and where they have been drafted? 

thanks again

Here's a link to a list of commits

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/texas/commitments

Edit- just use the filters to choose 2018 class and Texas as the commitment 

Edited by HORNfromETX

3 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

Here's a link to a list of commits

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/texas/commitments

Edit- just use the filters to choose 2018 class and Texas as the commitment 

Was just about to post that link. The only player who has been drafted is Simeon Woods-Richardson, and he is expected to sign. Everybody else appears to be in good position to make it to campus with how the draft is unfolding.

3 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

Was just about to post that link. The only player who has been drafted is Simeon Woods-Richardson, and he is expected to sign. Everybody else appears to be in good position to make it to campus with how the draft is unfolding.

That would be huge. We always seem to get hit hard by the draft.

Shocked Kingham hasn’t gone. I think the down year and the character issues from earlier in the year have sunk him. I wonder if he may come back to bounce up the draft board. I doubt it but a guy can dream!

2 hours ago, Jameson McCausland said:

The 10th round is most likely the tipping point. The max bonus a player can receive if he is drafted after the 10th round is $100,000. If you are a high school player being drafted after the 10th round, you would be smart to go to college.

It’s no big change but I think post 10th max was raised to$125K this year. 

49 minutes ago, TB14 said:

Shocked Kingham hasn’t gone. I think the down year and the character issues from earlier in the year have sunk him. I wonder if he may come back to bounce up the draft board. I doubt it but a guy can dream!

IMO, there's a pretty good chance that both Kingham & Shugart will be drafted tomorrow and won't come back for their Senior seasons. 

Interesting thing is, there's really not much leverage with MLB teams once a Junior comes back for their Senior season, unless they have some spectacular off-the-charts senior year.  Better for them to go where they're taken and move on to MiLB to get to work. 

Texas has really made out well this draft if all holds to form. 

4 hours ago, joeywa said:

IMO, there's a pretty good chance that both Kingham & Shugart will be drafted tomorrow and won't come back for their Senior seasons. 

Interesting thing is, there's really not much leverage with MLB teams once a Junior comes back for their Senior season, unless they have some spectacular off-the-charts senior year.  Better for them to go where they're taken and move on to MiLB to get to work. 

Texas has really made out well this draft if all holds to form. 

Probably need them to leave or have some other attrition. The roster is way over for next season.