Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Jameson McCausland

***TCU vs No. 17 Texas Series Thread***

No. 17 Texas (34-18) vs. TCU
May 17-19, 2018

WhereUFCU Disch-Falk Field
TimeThursday @ 6:30 pm CT; Friday @ 6:30 pm CT; Saturday @ 2:30 p.m.

TVThursday on FS1; Friday and Saturday on Longhorn Network

Radio: 104.9 The Horn, AM 1260
All-time series: Texas leads
, 224-72-2

PROBABLE STARTING PITCHE
RS

THURSDAYTCU LHP Nick Lodolo (6-3, 4.48)  vs. Texas RHP Nolan Kingham (6-2, 4.50)

FRIDAYTCU RHP Jake Eissler (5-1, 3.60) vs. Texas RHP Chase Shugart (4-3, 5.09)

SATURDAYTCU TBA vs. Texas RHP Blair Henley (5-6, 3.60)

GAME NOTES

THE MATCHUP—No. 17 Texas Baseball hosts TCU in the final series of the regular season.

A LOOK AT THE HORNED FROGS—TCU has won three straight and 11 of its last 13 games…the Horned Frogs are coming off a Tuesdy night win over SFA following a series win over WVU over the weekend…on offense, TCU is led by senior Michael Landestoy’s .326/.422/.423 line while newcomer A.J. Balta paces the team with 45 RBI and Josh Watson leads the team with eight home runs…on the mound, Thursday starter Nick Lodolo has compiled a 6-3 record and a 4.48 ERA to go along with 84 strikeouts on the season…out of the bullpen, Durbin Feltman has a team-high six saves and has allowed just one earned run so far this season.

A LOOK AT THE LONGHORNS—Texas is coming off a 6-2 win on Tuesday night vs. Texas State…the win comes following a bye week after Texas went 3-1 the week prior…the last time the Longhorns were in Big 12 play, Texas took two of three from then-No. 9 Texas Tech on the road, winning both Friday and Sunday…Kody Clemens continues to pace the offense with a .345/.440/.675 line to go along with 16 homers and 55 RBI…David Hamilton (.305), Duke Ellis (.304), and Zach Zubia (.301) have all surpassed the .300 mark…on the mound, Parker Joe Robinson’s 1.59 ERA over 15 appearances leads the bullpen while Andy McGuire has compiled a 2.45 ERA over 19 appearances including seven saves. 

NEXT UP—Texas will head to Oklahoma City for the Phillips 66 Big 12 Conference Championship next week.

THE COMEBACK KIDS—Texas has now recorded 16 come-from-behind wins this season, including four of their last five ballgames…in both wins over Texas Tech, the Longhorns had to rebound from a deficit…on May 1 vs. Texas State, the Longhorns trailed, 10-6, entering the 9th against Texas State when Masen Hibbeler and Duke Ellis led off with walks, Kody Clemens singled, and Zach Zubia walked to set up Hamilton’s ninth inning heroics, a walk-off slam…it was the Horns’ second walk-off homer of the season (Austin Todd on Feb 17 vs. Louisiana) and first walk-off grand slam since Preston Clark’s against Army in the 2009 NCAA Regional.

SENIOR SALUTE—Prior to Saturday’s season finale vs. TCU, Andy McGuire, Jake McKenzie, George Pappas, Parker Joe Robinson, and Josh Sawyer will be honored as a part of Senior Day…McKenzie is a senior while the others are redshirt-juniors who are all graduating on Friday.

A CASE FOR CLEMENS—Kody Clemens recorded his 55th RBI on the road against Tech and mashed three more homers in the series, becoming the first Longhorn with at least 55 RBI since Kevin Keyes in 2010 and first Texas player with at least 16 home runs since Kyle Russell’s 19 in 2008…in April, Perfect Game/Rawlings and D1Baseball.com each announced their Midseason All-America teams and was named first team second baseman on both…USA Baseball also announced Clemens as a member of its Golden Spikes Award midseason watch list…he ranks 8th in the Big 12 in batting average (.345), 6th in hits (68), 5th in runs scored (49), 2nd in homers, 3rd in RBI, 2nd in total bases (133), and 3rd in slugging (.675).

THE DUKE—Sophomore OF Duke Ellis is riding a 12-game hitting streak in which he’s raised his average almost 50 points from .255 to .304…in Big 12 action, the transfer is second in the conference with a .394 batting average…Ellis also swiped three bases at Texas Tech to give him 13 bags on the season. 

ZUUUBOMB—Twice this season, Zach Zubia has hit a two-run homer to help clinch a Big 12 Conference road series…he first did it at Oklahoma and also did it in the Sunday rubber match against Texas Tech…the redshirt-freshman has upped his season average to .308 on the year…he and Clemens are the first pair of Longhorns teammates with at least 10 homers apiece since Cameron Rupp, Kevin Keyes, and Kevin Lusson all had double-digit dingers in 2010

VROOM VROOM—David Hamilton leads the Big 12 with 27 stolen bases on the year…he’s the first Horn with at least 27 SB since  Drew Stubbs stole 28 in 2004…he also leads the team with 9 bunt singles and 5 triples.

DEEEEFENSE—The Texas defense has solidified since Big 12 Conference action began…the Longhorns are fielding at a .981 clip over 21 league games, with position players making just nine of the team’s 15 errors…the Horns’ .977 fielding percentage across all games is good for tops among Big 12 teams…as a team, Texas has also turned 59 double plays on the year, which ranks second in all of Division I.

RISING LONGHORNS—Texas currently finds itself ranked in all major Division I polls, including D1Baseball (17), Baseball America (15), Perfect Game (14), Collegiate Baseball (16), NCBWA (17), and USA Today (16)…the Horns also stand at No. 21 in RPI. 

WEEKDAY WINNERS—Over the past two seasons, the Longhorns are 23-5 in midweek games (non-weekend series matchups)…all five losses have come away from UFCU Disch-Falk Field…in 2017, the Horns went 12-2 with losses at Texas State and against Louisiana in Sugar Land…in 2018, Texas went 11-3 against midweek non-conference opponents with two losses on the road against Arkansas and one on the road at Texas A&M. 

THE MIND OF MCKENZIE—Senior RHP/UTIL player Jake McKenzie was named to the Google Cloud Academic All-District team last Friday, becoming the first Longhorn to earn that distinction since John Curtiss in 2014…on April 17, he played all nine positions in Texas’ seven-inning win over UTRGV on April 17…McKenzie started the game at catcher, the only position he had not previously played while at Texas, before moving through the infield and outfield…he then got the final two outs of the ballgame on the mound…McKenzie was recognized on SportsCenter and on ESPN’s “Get Up!” program in the “My Favorite Player of All-Time (Right This Second)” segment for accomplishing a feat that only five major league players have. …in addition to his role as utilityman, McKenzie, a petroleum engineering major, was recently awarded the Marvin Wright Student Athlete Award from the Cockrell School of Engineering and the Big 12’s Dr. Gerald Lage Academic Achievement Award…he was also given the Lorene L. Rogers Scholar-Athlete Award given to a graduating senior athlete at Texas.

Top 3

Wanhanen- Reaches on an E4. Hard groundball that eats up Clemens.

Oviedo- (Wanhanen is caught stealing 2nd. Nice throw by Petrinsky) Groundball deep in the hole at SS. Hamilton dives to stop it but it goes down as an infield single

Shepherd- Oviedo is running on the pitch and Shepherd singles into LF. Oviedo to 3rd

Runners on the corners with 1 out

Bottom 4

Ellis- Infield single. Ellis beats the throw on a bloop groundball behind second base

McKenzie- Sac bunt. Ellis to 2nd

Hamilton- Hard ground ball to the SS that bounces away. It will be called an infield single

Todd- 6-4-3 double play

Texas can't take advantage of another scoring opportunity.

2-0 after 4