Daniel Seahorn

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

His quote seems weird. He wants to play for a team that is competing for a natty but adds LSU to his list??

If I’m Herman I wouldn’t give up on Evans, if we can churn out a 10+ win season and look good before NSD1 he may see the light 

24 minutes ago, Baron said:

Where did you read it?

It's on 247.  He basically said Texas isnt there yet and all the other teams are contenders.  He said, yeah Texas beat UGA but they barely beat UGA.  That sounds like someone that was never really considering UT anyway.  I hope that doesnt sound like Aggy, but time to move on and find kids that want to be part of a building to a Natty.  Good luck to him.

Would be nice to [enter Major League quote] WIN THE WHOLE F#$KING THING[end quote] this year or get to the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, texbound said:

It's on 247.  He basically said Texas isnt there yet and all the other teams are contenders.  He said, yeah Texas beat UGA but they barely beat UGA.  That sounds like someone that was never really considering UT anyway.  I hope that doesnt sound like Aggy, but time to move on and find kids that want to be part of a building to a Natty.  Good luck to him.

I hate to say it, but I posted a few weeks back that the handwriting on the wall was pretty obvious. It's time to move on and don't look back. Texas will be alright, although you do wonder where all of Stan Drayton's mojo has gone.

Here's the article, in case anyone wants to read it: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Zachary-Evans-top-5-Alabama-LSU-Georgia-Ohio-State-Oklahoma-132387590/

The money quote: "It’s just … you don’t know how to put it,” Evans told 247Sports as a part of a wide-ranging interview. “I don’t want to be disrespectful. I ain’t saying (Texas) can’t win a natty. It’s just at the moment [Texas is] not quite there. You beat Georgia but you barely beat Georgia. What about when it comes to a Bama or go to a Clemson? Texas is a good school, they coming up. It's just ... I don't know."

I have to seriously wonder if he just looked up the score and said "oh, yeah I guess Texas barely won". It was only a 1-score game for the first 9 minutes and the last 14 seconds. No one who watched that game can seriously say Texas "barely won". It was a beatdown.

Sounds just like AD back in the day.  The reality is that some kids want to be a part of building something, and some want to join something that's built.  Malik was one of the former, and though he didn't fully live up to his billing at Texas he still played an outsize role in getting us back to where we are today.  We don't land guys like Kris Boyd or Holton Hill without him.  Evans, evidently, is not one of those guys.  His top 5 are straight from the top 6 teams of the last 3 years.

This feels like somewhat of a relief to be honest.  This one has been trending away from us and now maybe we can really focus on others (though I'm sure we won't give up just yet).  Robinson seems genuinely interested, let's reel him in.

6 hours ago, bevotee said:

Sounds just like AD back in the day.  The reality is that some kids want to be a part of building something, and some want to join something that's built.  Malik was one of the former, and though he didn't fully live up to his billing at Texas he still played an outsize role in getting us back to where we are today.  We don't land guys like Kris Boyd or Holton Hill without him.  Evans, evidently, is not one of those guys.  His top 5 are straight from the top 6 teams of the last 3 years.

This feels like somewhat of a relief to be honest.  This one has been trending away from us and now maybe we can really focus on others (though I'm sure we won't give up just yet).  Robinson seems genuinely interested, let's real him in.

I always liked that Jamal Charles came to Texas and won a NC after AP wanted to play for a “winner” to win a NC.  Charles 1, AP 0.

You know most people on here won’t agree with me, but after those comments from Evans...........unless he’s Billy Sims or Earl Campbell, I’d just move on and find me another back. If he’s one of those two then I’d chase until the end. Just my opinion. 

55 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

You know most people on here won’t agree with me, but after those comments from Evans...........unless he’s Billy Sims or Earl Campbell, I’d just move on and find me another back. If he’s one of those two then I’d chase until the end. Just my opinion. 

the trouble is that they aint Earl or Billy until they are. Every year guys come on the scene with lots of fanfare and only sometimes do they turn out legit. Things happen...ala Romance Taylor ... If a guy is a stud so to speak he is worth the effort, but there aint but one Earl...

59 minutes ago, TexCoyote said:

Understand your point, but...he did say he likes Texas. Everyone is not as convinced that Texas is really back like we want to believe. There's still plenty of time to show him (and others) on the field that we are. 

18 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

the trouble is that they aint Earl or Billy until they are. Every year guys come on the scene with lots of fanfare and only sometimes do they turn out legit. Things happen...ala Romance Taylor ... If a guy is a stud so to speak he is worth the effort, but there aint but one Earl...

Yes oldhorn you’re right. There’s been alot of towns that thought they had the next Earl or Billy but they didn’t. My point is those guys rarely come along. Usually once in a lifetime you get to see one like that. I know recruiting has definitely changed alot over the years but I want kids that want to be here. Those kids will fight till the end. In today’s landscape, most are looking for the fastest way to the NFL. I guess a Coyote can still dream. 

We can't say Zack Evans didn't warn us. He said a couple of months ago that we weren't giving enough attention to his buddy Damieon George. We went from Zack's number one choice to where he's bad mouthing us.

Damieon George must be the Fonzie of the school. If he says that Texas is not cool then Texas is no longer cool. What a gooey way to lose the number one player in the country. He has to go to school with his buddy.

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

2 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

IMO Earl and Billy were in high school if you saw them play. Earl won state and Billy ran into a school that jumped two classes the next year. Both were great RBS but Earl was best all around player.

3 hours ago, Eastexhorn said:

IMO Earl and Billy were in high school if you saw them play. Earl won state and Billy ran into a school that jumped two classes the next year. Both were great RBS but Earl was best all around player.

I was fortunate enough to see Billy, Earl and also David Overstreet play HS ball. Growing up in East Texas back then, playoff games were social events. If it was a promising game, you would forego the weekend's plan for that game.

We would go all over ET to watch games. I still do that. I can't remember who JT was playing when I watched Earl, but it was pouring rain and Earl was kicking serious ass.

I watched Billy Simms take a hand-off five straight times and score five straight times in a playoff game against Mt Vernon. The first four were negated by penalty. The last one was a 95-yd run.

The thing is, in each case there was no doubt who the best player on the field was – all game long. Not just in spurts or here and there, but every stinking play. There was Earl and there was the rest of the players.

I was able to watch Evans in last year's state final. He barely appeared on radar for me. Duncanville's studs were having their name called all game.

Evans certainly matches the eye-test. He's ripped for his age. Fast. Quick. Etc., . . but where was that when it counted most?

Just my thoughts . . . .

I meant to share this earlier, but we supposedly had a tornado here earlier so I was taking cover for the past couple hours . lol

My friend calls me, refers back to the guy I had called him about a few weeks ago. He referred me to his coming visit in June. Says he will be a Horn during or just after that visit. We lead despite him never coming here and apparently, he almost popped a few weeks back.

Happiness will be served soon, folks.

23 minutes ago, lshorn79 said:

I remember Gil Brandt saying Earl could have gone directly from Tyler John Tyler to the pros.

I'd buy that. I saw his state championship game performance. Wheeew, what a doozie. Thats what I mean, he showed up the most when it mattered the most.

Keep in mind, that JT team was not devoid of good athletes. They were loaded. And even among that loaded team, Earl stood out like a man among boys.

I remember my dad laughing while we watched one game. He was convinced that the offensive strategy on every play was to simply keep Earl out of the play. Earl was a helluva LB. Hell he would have been AA at LB if he were allowed to play there. Anyway, the opposing team would have three players blocking Earl, send the runner the opposite direction. Of course, it didn't work. lol

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I was fortunate enough to see Billy, Earl and also David Overstreet play HS ball. Growing up in East Texas back then, playoff games were social events. If it was a promising game, you would forego the weekend's plan for that game.

We would go all over ET to watch games. I still do that. I can't remember who JT was playing when I watched Earl, but it was pouring rain and Earl was kicking serious ass.

I watched Billy Simms take a hand-off five straight times and score five straight times in a playoff game against Mt Vernon. The first four were negated by penalty. The last one was a 95-yd run.

The thing is, in each case there was no doubt who the best player on the field was – all game long. Not just in spurts or here and there, but every stinking play. There was Earl and there was the rest of the players.

I was able to watch Evans in last year's state final. He barely appeared on radar for me. Duncanville's studs were having their name called all game.

Evans certainly matches the eye-test. He's ripped for his age. Fast. Quick. Etc., . . but where was that when it counted most?

Just my thoughts . . . .

I saw all three of those guys on the playoffs. Another player that jumped out as a wow factor was Warren McVea. Watching them play was something you will never forget. To a degree Steve Worster also jumped out during high school playoffs. I am old enough to remember Jimmy Saxton in college. I don't think he gets enough credit for his athletic ability, then again I was young and relying on childhood memories of him playing. Darrell Royal changed his whole offensive system to accommodate Jimmy's ability. Coach Royal said, "Watching him run was like watching the air come out of a balloon." I think he still owns school record for longest punt in a bowl game (73 yards). As I wrote earlier, watching these guys on the field was special. 

2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I meant to share this earlier, but we supposedly had a tornado here earlier so I was taking cover for the past couple hours . lol

My friend calls me, refers back to the guy I had called him about a few weeks ago. He referred me to his coming visit in June. Says he will be a Horn during or just after that visit. We lead despite him never coming here and apparently, he almost popped a few weeks back.

Happiness will be served soon, folks.

Never visited?  Has to be Ransom or Wilson.

I too remember watching David O. ru.nning the ball. most of us  are telling thier age Due to friendwho wanted to go to the game, I watched Dandy Dons debuet as a freshman. Been lucky to see so many high school greats. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

Earl did play a few downs at LB for the Horns my not so good memory says he blocked a punt vs the pigs.