Daniel Seahorn

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Advertise on HornSports

Where will top uncommitted Dallas-area recruits land? Here are some predictions

Smiley N. Pool/Staff Photographer

Duncanville quarterback Ja'quinden Jackson (3) races past Allen linebacker Jaden Healy (2) on a 8-yard touchdown run during the first half of a Class 6A Division IÃstate semifinal at AT&T Stadium on Saturday, Dec. 15, 2018, in Arlington. (Smiley N. Pool/The Dallas Morning News)

By EJ Holland, Blogger Contact EJ Hollandon Twitter:@EJHolland247

It's been a busy month in the Dallas-area as several top prospects have made commitments to schools around the country.

But there are still plenty of other key recruits that remain undecided.

Here is a look at five highly touted area players and where they are most likely to land when it's time to put pen to paper.

Ja'Quinden Jackson

QB/ATH, Duncanville

Jackson's recruitment is going to be interesting. The four-star prospect doesn't make very many visits and isn't particularly fond of talking about the recruiting process. There have also been plenty of questions in regards to Jackson's future position at the next level. With all of this said, Texas has been a constant for Jackson and has hosted him for multiple visits. UT assistant Ra'Shaad Samples also happens to be the son of Duncanville head coach Reginald Samples. The Longhorns seem to have the early edge, but Jackson is interested schools like LSU and Oklahoma.

The Dallas Morning News top 50 ranking: No. 1 overall

Prediction: Texas

Chris Thompson

DB, Duncanville

Thompson and the aforementioned Jackson are not a package deal, but it wouldn't be surprising to see them end up at the same school. Like Jackson, Thompson wants to take his time with his recruiting process. And also like Jackson, Thompson seems to be leaning towards Texas early on. Thompson has been on campus on several occasions and also has a bond with the younger Samples. But it won't be a slam-dunk for UT. Thompson is set to make a summer official visit to Notre Dame and has seen schools like Clemson, Auburn and LSU this offseason.

The Dallas Morning News top 50 ranking: No. 4 overall

Seth McGowan

RB, Mesquite Poteet

A four-star recruit, McGowan has established himself as one of the top ball carriers in the country. He recently released his Top 8 schools and is looking to make another cut in the near future. Right now, Oklahoma, Georgia and Texas A&M seem to be the schools making the biggest impressions. McGowan will officially visit all three before making a decision later in the cycle. This race could honestly end up going either way, as there is no clear frontrunner.

The Dallas Morning News top 50 ranking: No. 11 overall

Prediction: Georgia

Prince Dorbah

DE, Highland Park

One of the country's most feared pass rushers, Dorbah could be close to a decision. After all, the four-star prospect recently released a Top 5 of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, LSU and Texas. Arkansas has some ties in this recruitment as Dorbah's teammate, Chandler Morris, is the son of Razorbacks head coach Chad Morris. However, Dorbah has always seemed to prefer Oklahoma and Texas. This one is going to be a heated battle.

The Dallas Morning News top 50 ranking: No. 6 overall

E.J. Smith

ATH, Jesuit

The son of NFL Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith, EJ is on a mission to create his own legacy. But that doesn't mean he won't follow in his father's footsteps at the next level. Smith grew up around the Florida program, and there are plenty of reasons for him to end up in Gainesville. Still, Smith recently made an unofficial visit to Stanford and has shown interest in schools like Michigan, Texas and Texas A&M.

The Dallas Morning News top 50 ranking: No. 5 overall

Prediction: Florida

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2019/04/22/will-top-uncommitted-area-recruits-land-predictions

2. Herm Edwards surprised some folks, and Mack Brown is doing the same

Enz3lqlacetylojburns

Mack Brown
AP

Remember when we all made fun of Arizona State for hiring Herm Edwards as their next football coach last year? A guy years removed from football who was a TV analyst and many of us figured he was in over his head. 

Well so far Edwards has proven us wrong. Recruiting, after a rough start, has been very solid at Arizona State as Edwards has made some shrewd hires. And on the field he led the team to a 7-6 record and a bowl game that included upset wins over Michigan State, USC and Utah. 

So when I heard people scoffing at the UNC hire of Mack Brown, I held my tongue this time. Why? Edwards was part of the reason but Brown makes even more sense than Edwards when it comes to being a college coach. He had a great run at Texas, is known as a great recruiter and isn’t as removed from college football as Edwards was. 

And what’s happening for North Carolina so far? The Tarheels have the No. 8 recruiting class in the country and are very hot on the recruiting trail. Brown has proven he can recruit on the college level again and if he leads UNC to a winning record somehow this year, a lot of people will be eating their words. 

So what’s the lesson to learn here? These guys can coach and recruit and know football a lot better than their critics. And it doesn’t matter how removed from football they have been, it appears to be like riding a bike for them. ASU and UNC fans are happy with their hire after perhaps some initial questions and they should be.

https://n.rivals.com/news/three-point-stance-big-commits-mack-brown-and-nfl-draft-steals

The Dotted Line: Teammates Zach Evans, Damieon George discuss recruiting, Texas

HOUSTON — Galena Park North Shore teammates Zachary Evans and Damieon George reaffirmed their intentions to commit to the same football program as spring practice began for the defending Class 6A Division I state champions. Evans and George starred for the Mustangs in a thrilling win over Duncanville, but the celebration is over and now it’s time for the Mustangs to forge a legacy.

Five-star running back Zach Evans competes at North Shore spring practice. (Mike Craven)

“After we celebrated, we put it away,” said Evans, a five-star running back. “It’s time to start a new dynasty now and that comes from taking it one practice at a time.”

Evans’ cool, methodical approach to recruiting is a stark contrast to his sudden, physical running style. He’s still the same soft-spoken kid who started doing recruiting interviews as an emerging sophomore on varsity. He’s in no rush, displaying the same patience he uses at the running back position. He’s the top-rated player at his position in the country and the No. 2-ranked prospect in the entire 2020 class, per 247Sports’ composite rankings.

“It comes down to where we feel comfortable. Competition will be everywhere,” Evans said. “We can only pick one school. I’m taking it slowly and gathering information and communicating with the schools that reach out to me.”

The 5-11, 200-pound Evans is the top-ranked player on the 2020 Fabulous 55. He’s considered the best running back prospect from the state since Aledo’s Johnathan Gray. Evans holds 44 offers and plans on taking all five official visits, stating that Clemson and Alabama are two schools guaranteed to get an official. The Crimson Tide were at practice watching Evans and George on Wednesday.

Texas and Texas A&M are firmly in the mix. Evans said not to read too much into him not making it to Austin for spring practices. The accessibility of Texas may work in the Longhorns’ favor over time, but it is the reason Evans doesn’t deem it necessary to be a stalwart on any in-state campus.

“Texas is right there, so I can’t go to the in-state schools every week,” he said.

Evans’ goals as a senior are clear: Win another state title and cement his place in Galena Park North Shore folklore. A legacy is extremely important to him.

“I feel like I’m getting there, but I haven’t left my stamp yet to where people are like “oh, he’s that guy from Galena Park North Shore,” but my senior year can do that,” he said.

George is a massive right tackle who measures 6-7 and 340 pounds. Evans gets a ton of deserved publicity, but the first thing noticed at a North Shore practice is the sheer size of the offensive line. George is a first-off-the-bus prospect who admits to growing as a player and a person the last two seasons on varsity.

“I’ve improved my technique and my attitude towards things. I had to grow up,” George said. “It was something I had to do coming from a bad environment in order to do something better for myself and my family.”

George credits his environment with creating the chip on the shoulder that he and his teammates carry to the football field.

“Nothing was ever handed to us, so we all work for what we want. It’s a different type of passion,” George said. “We had to put in the work to get the offers, so we have to keep working or the offers can go away.”

Evans describes George as a “big offensive tackle with pure aggression” and Texas hopes to bring that skill set to Austin. Texas already holds commitments from three offensive linemen and hope to add George and Chad Lindberg. Texas’ advantage is offensive line coach Herb Hand.

“Coach Hand is a real cool guy,” George said. “He reminds me of some of my uncles. He’s funny.”

George, like Evans, said he is taking his time with the recruiting process and didn’t expect to come to a conclusion in the near future.

https://www.hookem.com/story/dotted-line-teammates-zach-evans-damieon-george-discuss-recruiting-texas/

You can tell Herman is bird-dogging for speed.

Achane not only ran the 200 in 20.44 this season, he's a member of the FB Marshall 4 x 100 relay, which currently holds the fastest time in the nation (40.14).

Kitan Crawford, who I think will commit to us in May, runs for John Tyler's 4 x 100 relay team, who used to hold the fastest time in the nation at 40.66 (according to Brainiacs).

Take Two: Will Oklahoma or Texas land Bryson Washington?

Adam Gorney and Mike Farrell
Rivals.com

CLASS OF 2019 RANKINGS: Rivals250 | State | Position | Team

Fwwnqmt7tsa51lsezmhb

CLASS OF 2020
UNDECIDED

has more than 20 offers, but the four-star safety made a huge move in his recruitment recently when he narrowed his choices to Oklahoma and Texas.

That is especially exciting for people following his recruitment because this is just another example of the Sooners and the Longhorns battling for an elite prospect. Texas seemed to hold an edge for the Houston (Texas) C.E. King standout, but a recent official visit to Oklahoma could have completely changed everything.

Washington had a phenomenal trip to Norman. He loves the coaching staff and the players there and he could make a huge impact in defensive coordinator Alex Grinch’s new defense. But the four-star has taken numerous visits to Texas, and he’s taking his official there in early June before he makes his decision around July 4.

Texas will have the final shot to convince Washington that it’s the right place for him. It seemed like the Longhorns were the clear frontrunner. But Oklahoma did a whole lot to close the gap and possibly even take the slightest lead heading through the spring.

Will it be Texas or Oklahoma for the four-star safety?

FIRST TAKE: JASON SUCHOMEL, ORANGEBLOODS.COM

“For the longest time, I felt Texas had a commanding lead there. He’s been on campus so many times, he’s already had positive things to say about the program and he has such a great relationship with the entire Texas staff. But it does certainly seem like that pendulum has swung in Oklahoma’s direction after his recent official visit.

“Does that mean Oklahoma is leading? I’m not sure. My gut tells me it’s pretty close to a neck-and-neck race, but Texas will get the last visit in late June before he announces. Anytime you get the last crack at a player, that can usually carry some weight. I still slightly favor Texas for that reason, but it really is a tough one to call right now.”

Rnpr4xnpbwohzj6cruka

SECOND TAKE: MIKE FARRELL, RIVALS.COM  

“This is going to come down a lot to the last visits with Tom Herman and Lincoln Riley. That’s what makes the recruiting battle so exciting between those two schools because it’s a question of who gets them on campus last. They’re both so good at closing and they’re both so good at in-person recruiting that getting the last visit suddenly becomes a big deal. 

"We will see this play out more and more as we head into official visits and more and more as we head into 2021 and 2022. Because Texas has the last visit and he’s been leaning toward that school. I think it’s going to get him, but it’s really hard to predict with these two coaches because they both do such a good job

https://n.rivals.com/news/take-two-will-oklahoma-or-texas-land-bryson-washington-

1 hour ago, primal defense said:

Here's some great news!:)

Why Pete Davidson and Kate Beckinsale's ''Casual'' Romance Fizzled Out

https://www.eonline.com/news/1035757/why-pete-davidson-and-kate-beckinsale-s-casual-romance-fizzled-out

Hmmm, because she finally woke up and said, "Hey, I'm Kate Beckinsale, why am I dating Pete Davidson?"

Not much different than Christy Brinkley finally realizing who she was and married to Billy Joel.