Daniel Seahorn

2020 Recruiting Board/Thread

Advertise on HornSports

Running back is looking good.

Texas football: Keaontay Ingram adds some body armor

Photo of Nick Moyle
Nick Moyle March 25, 2019
940x940.jpg
Longhorn running back Keaontay Ingram gets loose in the second half as UT hosts TCU at DKR Stadium on September 22, 2018.
Photo: Tom Reel, Staff / Staff photographer

AUSTIN — It was clear from his very first game at Texas that running back Keaontay Ingram could make magic happen with the ball in his hands. What wasn’t clear was whether the freshman’s 205-pound body could handle the pounding and rigors that accompany being a full-time running back at a Power Five school.

Nearly three full months since Texas capped its 2018 campaign with a Sugar Bowl victory, the answer to that question has come into focus.

Coach Tom Herman singled out Ingram as the most pleasant surprise on offense through the team’s first four spring practices.

Ingram has stacked more muscle onto his 6-foot frame and kept his wiggle and explosiveness. Bulking up under strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight should allow the sophomore to take over as the Longhorns’ lead back after splitting duties last season with Tre Watson

“He’s put on a really good 12, 14 pounds,” Herman said Monday. “He’s seeing the plays develop a little bit better. He’s got more patience and vision.

“Good weight is padding for your body. It’s protection. It’s armor. Especially for your joints.”

Ingram isn’t the only backfield mouth Herman has to satiate.

Herman might experiment with freshman Jordan Whittington as a slot receiver come fall practice, but for now the 5-star recruit is rolling with the running backs — and impressing his new coaching staff.

“Right now, he’s doing really good,” Herman said. “He looks very natural back there.

“We want him to get a really good feel for (the position). Pass protection is a big deal that he’s never really done before.”

Junior Daniel Young is “right there” with Ingram and Whittington.

As a freshman, Young (Houston Westfield) finished second on the team with 81 rushes for 373 yards and three touchdowns. His production dropped to 42 rushes for 153 yards last season as Ingram and Watson earned the bulk of the carries.

But the 230-pound Young, along with finally-healthy senior Kirk Johnson, offer different styles and approaches for Herman to utilize behind the team’s top two backs.

“Obviously much different skillsets,” Herman said. “I’m pleased with that room right now. They’ve done a really good job. All four of those guys have played well.”

But after gaining 887 all-purpose yards and scoring five touchdowns in his debut season, Ingram appears poised to breakout in 2019 despite the steep competition he faces for touches.

“It was a big deal for us,” Herman said of Ingram’s weight gain. “I think anytime a kid puts that good weight on in a short period of time, he gets a lot of confidence. You can see him running out there with confidence right now.

Ayodele Adeoye coming into his own

Coach Tom Herman praised redshirt freshman linebacker Ayodele Adeoye as one of the biggest risers this offseason.

“Just how well he’s moving,” Herman said. “We’ll know more here about playing middle linebacker in the days to come, but in the past three months he’s really trimmed up, changed his body a little bit. He’s moving around like the kid we recruited. He’s moving really good.”

Adeoye, an impressive recruit out of Florida football powerhouse IMG Academy, struggled last year to shake a knee injury he suffered during August preseason practice.

He appeared in four games last year on special teams, but could compete this year to take over at middle linebacker for departed senior Anthony Wheeler.

“Last year he had that knee thing,” Herman said. “I think it was always on his mind, which was difficult for him to play through. I think he finally feels very healthy so it’s easier for him to play fast and less guarded.

“And I think he feels better about his body, too. He’s changed his body quite a bit. I know he came in looking like a grown man. But he’s changed it even now for the better.”

Odds and ends

Senior receivers Collin Johnson (knee) and Devin Duvernay (pubic bone) and sophomore cornerback Anthony Cook (hamstring) were all able to participate in individual drills during Monday’s practice.

Coach Tom Herman is hopeful they will be cleared for full participation sometime before spring practice concludes with the Orange-White game at Royal-Memorial Stadium on April 13.

“I would expect them, barring a setback today, will progress even farther Wednesday, Friday, Saturday,” Herman said.

Texas also continues to track the blood levels of redshirt freshman defensive lineman Keondre Coburn, who remains limited while dealing with a kidney issue.

“Blood levels have been good,” Herman said. “They’re going to test him after every practice and hope that we can continue to progress him.”

Other injuries included redshirt freshman offensive lineman Christian Jones (rolled ankle) and sophomore safety BJ Foster, who will be evaluated after taking a knee to the head

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/longhorns/article/Texas-football-Keaontay-Ingram-adds-some-body-13715385.php

Rivals Camp Series Dallas: Prospects talk Texas schools, coaches

Rob Cassidy and Sam Spiegelman
Rivals.com

COPPELL, Tex. - From Austin to Dallas to College Station to Denton, the state of Texas is home to a whopping 12 FBS teams. So at this weekend’s Rivals Camp Series stop in Dallas, Rivals.com decided to survey some Lone Star State prospects on the in-state programs. Below are a number of answers to four questions dealing with colleges in the Lone Star State.

Which in-state school will win a national title first, and why?      

Eejoykkazrbulfdb2utf

Jimbo Fisher
AP Images

“Either Texas or Texas A&M. Those are the programs on the rise right now. The way they both performed last year and everything.” - 

"Texas. They have been racking up the points the last year. They can do the same thing this year." - 

"Texas A&M. Their recruiting class was really strong. I think it was third behind Georgia and 'Bama. The guys they're bringing in are top-level recruits. So with them in the mix, with coach (Jimbo) Fisher, if they can get a quarterback that team will be set up." - 

"Texas, because last year they blew everyone's minds winning 10 games. I just think they're gonna get better from here on out, just keep getting better." - 

‘’Texas A&M. I mean, they have Jimbo Fisher up there establishing things.” - 

"Probably A&M. I like their recruiting class the past couple of years. Texas had the best chance, but I think they lost a lot of talent. I think this year it'll be Texas A&M, but it's a close race." - 

"Texas. They're a young team that beat Georgia last year, also." - 

"Texas or Baylor. Baylor because two years ago, they were 1-11 and then 7-6. It shows what they're building over there. Texas just won the conference, so they're building something over there. They got five-star recruits, so I'm expecting a lot from them." - 

“Probably Texas. They have a great culture and a great coaching staff. I feel like they’re the up-and-coming team.” - 

Which in-state school will have the best record this year, and why?      

“I don’t know. I don’t want to choose between Texas and Texas A&M, so I’ll just say one of them.” – Smith

"Nobody can beat Texas right now. They're unbelievably talented right now at a scary rate, so I got my faith in Teas right now." - Beason

"Texas A&M. Coming off a great game against LSU, it was a good turning point for the program, especially in Jimbo Fisher's time there. Going into next season, I think they'll build off what they accomplished last year." - Seals

"Texas. They're just getting a lot better, a lot tougher. Their last recruiting class and the class three years straight, they have a bunch of players there and they're about to be really good this year." – Brockermeyer

“A&M just because Jimbo,” - Kimber

"Baylor is on the come-up. TCU is always scary, especially with 

. He's the best of the best. If A&M does well in SEC play, though, then Texas A&M." - Snow

"Texas, but only because Texas A&M is in the SEC." - Johnson

"Texas. Off the season they had from last year with 10 wins, they had a great season and it's hard not to continue that." – Burns

“I’m giving this one to Texas, too. They have been building up and getting ready. This might be the year.” – Black

Which in-state school's head coach seems the coolest, and why?      

B4n1kvgjwsdhrpwudglm

Tom Herman
AP Images

“I think coach Jimbo (Fisher). He brings energy and cares about his players.” – Smith

"Matt Rhule. They're all cool in their own way, but I'd give it to Baylor's coach." - Beason

"I really like Tom Herman, but I feel like being a quarterback, to play for Coach Fisher is something special. You learn from him and the guys that he's put in the league, but Herman is up there, too." – Seals

“Tom Herman. He’s just cool. He loves his players and takes care of those guys.” - Kimber

"Jimbo. I went to TCU not too long ago and coach (Gary) Patterson is cool, but I remember when coach Fisher came to the school during basketball season, chopping it up and he's just a cool dude." - Snow

"Jimbo. He's a laid-back dude. At least with me he's real laid back." - Johnson

"Texas. That dude (Herman) is straightforward. That dude is all about business." – Burns

“I haven’t met a lot of the head coaches in Texas but probably Gary Patterson. I like the way he is. He just seems cool.” – Black

Which in-state school does the best job recruiting Texas kids?    

“Right now, A&M, but I’m just going to say that because that’s how it is with me, you know” - Smith

"Baylor, because of coach (Joey) McGuire. He's been in the area for a long time. He coached at Cedar Hill and knows the ins and outs and the recruits in this area the best." - Beason

"I'm not hearing from a lot of them, but I feel like Texas does a good job of keeping the guys at home. If you get an offer from Texas and you're from Texas, that's where you want to be. I feel like Texas does a good job of keeping guys at home." – Seals

“Tom Herman for sure. Everyone down here really likes him.” – Kimber

"Texas or Texas A&M. It's always them two every time for who gets the best Texas recruits. It's always Texas or Texas A&M." - Brockermeyer

"Probably Texas or Texas A&M. They're just both family dudes. Coach Herman, coach Fisher, they really sell the best in Texas to stay home." - Snow

"A&M. I see them in every school in Texas trying to recruit somebody." - Johnson

"Texas. They just got that five-star wide receiver (

) and that says it all. They got someone all the way from California, and I've never heard of anyone else doing that." - Burns

“It’s either A&M or Texas. I think maybe Texas, because of how many they bring down to campus. When they bring you down there, they make you feel like you are family.” – Black

https://n.rivals.com/news/rcs-dallas-prospects-weigh-in-on-texas-schools-coaches-1

4 minutes ago, prosfromdover said:

Brockermeyer picking A&M to win a national championship before Texas. Wut?

Its confusing, but the players name is below the quote.

2 hours ago, prosfromdover said:

Ah thanks. Reading comprehension demerit. I thought those **** were the player rankings.

No worries. I thought the same thing at first.

College football can look to KISS to win fans back after lowest average attendance in 22 years

Texas undertook a marketing renovation when AD Chris Del Conte came from TCU in December 2017. It started with the realization that since Mack Brown's departure in 2013, winning couldn't necessarily be counted on as a selling point. Last year, the school lowered the price of 10 core concessions. It introduced alcohol. "Bevo Boulevard" -- a pregame experience featuring music festivals, food trucks and … fun – was added. Bevo himself was paraded down San Jacinto Blvd.

Del Conte even told sponsors their in-game commercials were being limited because they were … boring. That meant telling the local bank president his game-ball presentation at the end of the first quarter wouldn't be needed.

"You know what our fans don't ask for?" said Drew Martin, Longhorns senior executive associate AD for external affairs. "They don't ask for more commercials. We're reminding fans the reason they come to a football game is to reconnect with your alma mater, your friends. It's a big party. We've taken the emphasis out of the on-field result and put it back on, 'You can't get this at home.'"

Wurthman and Martin are highly respected sources on this matter as the top lieutenants for two of the top ADs in the country -- Del Conte and Virginia Tech's Whit Babcock.

Certainly winning had something to do with more butts in seats. The Longhorns put a cherry on their best season in 9 years (10-4) with a Sugar Bowl win over Georgia. As business closed last week, season ticket renewals were at 87 percent.

Texas attendance was up almost 5,000 per game in 2018 to more than 97,000 per game (12th nationally). Last year, Martin followed Del Conte to Texas from TCU. The two had transformed the experience in and around Amon G. Carter Stadium.

"I encourage everybody to do what we've done," Martin said of Texas. "Be very transparent, be very available through social media means, return every phone call, return every email. Listen to your fan base."

He added, "I feel like the Texas fan has felt very distant from their own program."

That's less of an indictment of Texas than of the entire industry. The 'Horns established the "Stadium Stampede," the age-old rite of a team walking through a greeting line of fans. That sort of thing had been going on for decades at Tennessee and Auburn.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-can-look-to-kiss-to-win-fans-back-after-lowest-average-attendance-in-22-years/

Apparently, aggy is using a scheme difference in talking with DL recruits. Aggy plays a four-man front where DEs can pin their ears back. Orlando has the three-man front and jumbo tells recruits like Broughton that our DL just occupies space so the LBs can fly.

Thing is – so what? Your friggin pathetic defense gave up almost 80 points to LSU's offense last year.

If Herman isn't pounding them with that, along with a nice chuckle, he should.

3 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Apparently, aggy is using a scheme difference in talking with DL recruits. Aggy plays a four-man front where DEs can pin their ears back. Orlando has the three-man front and jumbo tells recruits like Broughton that our DL just occupies space so the LBs can fly.

Thing is – so what? Your friggin pathetic defense gave up almost 80 points to LSU's offense last year.

Go watch the 1st practice video of aggy in pads.  They are in a 3-man front.  

Staff needs to show them pics of Bobby Brown, who has ballooned up to 330+ lbs. and say "this is what happens when aggy promises you you can play DE.  Arrive at 260-275 lbs. and be a fatty the next year and get bumped inside".

Also, they are getting desperate.  Have another 10+ win season, or even better win the Big 12 and nobody will give a shit about aggy.

And Omenihu had more sacks and TFL's than anyone on aggy's DL.

23 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Go watch the 1st practice video of aggy in pads.  They are in a 3-man front.  

Staff needs to show them pics of Bobby Brown, who has ballooned up to 330+ lbs. and say "this is what happens when aggy promises you you can play DE.  Arrive at 260-275 lbs. and be a fatty the next year and get bumped inside".

Also, they are getting desperate.  Have another 10+ win season, or even better win the Big 12 and nobody will give a shit about aggy.

And Omenihu had more sacks and TFL's than anyone on aggy's DL.

But, SEC.

5 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

The aggie-LSU score was 31-31 at the end of the game. The game went into four overtimes. UT gave up 31 points or more six times last year. If Herman pounded that to recruit he would look like a fool. The aggies would make sure of that.

The aggie coaches are feeding on the recruits ego. They can get more sacks and tackles in their scheme which can mean more recognition and the NFL according to the aggies..

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

The aggie-LSU score was 31-31 at the end of the game. The game went into four overtimes. UT gave up 31 points or more six times last year. If Herman pounded that to recruit he would look like a fool. The aggies would make sure of that.

The aggie coaches are feeding on the recruits ego. They can get more sacks and tackles in their scheme which can mean more recognition and the NFL according to the aggies..

According to the rules of college football, a 31-31 score at the end of 4 quarters is not the end of the game.

At the end of the game, Aggy gave up 72 points against an offense that no one calls exciting or explosive.

If you're giving up 72 points to LSU, you're not getting sacks. You're getting abused.

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

According to the rules of college football, a 31-31 score at the end of 4 quarters is not the end of the game.

At the end of the game, Aggy gave up 72 points against an offense that no one calls exciting or explosive.

If you're giving up 72 points to LSU, you're not getting sacks. You're getting abused.

LOL. You should give up the landscape biz and become a lawyer. Your logic is lawyery. Yes, those 20 yard drives in OT should be stopped.  You can now be a hero and help UT's recruiting. 

Please send your recruiting advice to Bryan Carrington and I'm sure he will send your recruiting advice and he can get that over to Herman. 

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT

See the source image

6 hours ago, primal defense said:

LOL. You should give up the landscape biz and become a lawyer. Your logic is lawyery. Yes, those 20 yard drives in OT should be stopped.  You can now be a hero and help UT's recruiting. 

Please send your recruiting advice to Bryan Carrington and I'm sure he will send your recruiting advice and he can get that over to Herman. 

https://twitter.com/BCarringtonUT

I'm going to sit here and hope that you had to look up the 31-31 score. 

You don't need to be a lawyer to see 72 on a scoreboard. BC does just fine on his own. There was nothing spectacular occurring here. You had a moment without clarity. Nothing more, nothing less.

36 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I'm going to sit here and hope that you had to look up the 31-31 score. 

You don't need to be a lawyer to see 72 on a scoreboard. BC does just fine on his own. There was nothing spectacular occurring here. You had a moment without clarity. Nothing more, nothing less.

See the source image

1 hour ago, Dina Colunga said:

Darius Snow still deciding on last school to visit. Has Arkansa, Michigan State, TCU, and Notre Dame. :ph34r:

2BFF7475-3447-4002-A077-B55013B1D4E0.png

So Texas isn’t listed above...has he visited here unofficially?  Are we waiting for him to choose us for his fifth official?

1 hour ago, MikeV73 said:

So Texas isn’t listed above...has he visited here unofficially?  Are we waiting for him to choose us for his fifth official?

We've backed off on him.  Thompson, Ransom, Washington, and Alfors are all higher on the board.