Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
doc longhorn

Way too early predictions - Longhorns

I like doing these and then coming back at the end of the year and seeing who was the most accurate.  I'll make my predictions and my reasons why.

Maryland -    @Maryland................  WIN - We owe them and Herman wants it bad

Tulsa -           @Austin........................ WIN - Our second team is better

USC -             @Austin....................... WIN - A war, but playing in Austin gives us a slight edge.  This could be the only game we lose

TCU -             @Austin....................... WIN - There is no love lost between Herman and Patterson and Herman won't call off the dogs

KSU -             @Manhattan............ WIN - The Purple Wizards days are over.

OU -               @Dallas...................... WIN - Should have won last year - the players remember.  Our defense snuffs OU.

Baylor -         @Austin...................... WIN - We will be 6-0 at this point and Baylor will make it 7-0 and we are #8 in the nation

OSU -            @Stillwater............... WIN - I hate Okie lite.  This will be a war, but we edge them by a point

WVU -           @Austin...................... WIN - Trap game, but we prevail - #4 in the nation

TTU -              @Lubbock................ WIN - TTU's lack of defense will cause them a horrible season and we won't help

ISU -              @Austin....................... WIN - It's ISU - spunky but ISU

KU -               @Lawrence............... WIN - practice game leading up to our conference playoff game against:  TCU, which the WIN will be a sweep for the Horns.

38 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

I like doing these and then coming back at the end of the year and seeing who was the most accurate.  I'll make my predictions and my reasons why.

Maryland -    @Maryland................  WIN - We owe them and Herman wants it bad

Tulsa -           @Austin........................ WIN - Our second team is better

TCU -             @Austin....................... WIN - There is no love lost between Herman and Patterson and Herman won't call off the dogs

KSU -             @Manhattan............ WIN - The Purple Wizards days are over.

OU -               @Dallas...................... WIN - Should have won last year - the players remember.  Our defense snuffs OU.

Baylor -         @Austin...................... WIN - We will be 5-0 at this point and Baylor will make it 6-0 and we are #8 in the nation

OSU -            @Stillwater............... WIN - I hate Okie lite.  This will be a war, but we edge them by a point

WVU -           @Austin...................... WIN - Trap game, but we prevail - #4 in the nation

TTU -              @Lubbock................ WIN - TTU's lack of defense will cause them a horrible season and we won't help

ISU -              @Austin....................... WIN - It's ISU - spunky but ISU

KU -               @Lawrence............... WIN - practice game leading up to our conference playoff game against:  TCU, which the WIN will be a sweep for the Horns.

You forgot the USC game. Lol

4 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Maryland -    @Maryland................  WIN - Nobody looks ahead to Tulsa.

Tulsa -           @Austin........................ WIN - Honing our skills in this one.

USC -             @Austin....................... WIN - They are a shadow of their former selves. Brand new QB, TB, WR, losses on D. They will be tough because they're still talented. But they're going to be in a similar position to what we were in last year.

TCU -             @Austin....................... WIN - We pull this one out only by a hair and probably because its a home game. They have some talent, but not a lot of depth.

KSU -             @Manhattan............ WIN - A tough way to head into OU week.

OU -               @Dallas...................... WIN - Defense shines in this one. Murray retires from football.

Baylor -         @Austin...................... WIN - We're starting to really not like Baylor.

OSU -            @Stillwater............... LOSS - I hate Okie lite.  But they meet an overconfident Texas team. Its Stillwater, tough place to play anyway.

WVU -           @Austin...................... WIN - We knock out Grier in the 1st and cruise to victory.

TTU -              @Lubbock................ WIN - Donkey stomp

ISU -              @Austin....................... WIN - Nice win.

KU -               @Lawrence............... WIN - practice game leading up to our conference playoff game against:  

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP

Texas 31

OU 10

On 4/3/2018 at 10:49 AM, doc longhorn said:

USC -             @Austin....................... WIN - A war, but playing in Austin gives us a slight edge.  This could be the only game we lose

Baylor -         @Austin...................... WIN - We will be 6-0 at this point and Baylor will make it 7-0 and we are #8 in the nation

I’ll shit a gold brick. 

On 4/4/2018 at 5:54 PM, texasdalton said:

9-3

This,

8 wins is the floor and cranks up the heat on CTH.

We gave away 4-5 last year, were in every game but TCU.

2 biggest things I see,

Anderson making the OL competition best of 4 as he is better than anyone the past 2 years.  

And Sam seizing the job and staying healthy.   This is NOT a Shane offense, if there is a real QB competition in the fall, we might be in trouble.

14 minutes ago, echeese said:

This,

8 wins is the floor and cranks up the heat on CTH.

We gave away 4-5 last year, were in every game but TCU.

2 biggest things I see,

Thompson making the OL competition best of 4 as he is better than anyone the past 2 years.  

And Sam seizing the job and staying healthy.   This is NOT a Shane offense, if there is a real QB competition in the fall, we might be in trouble.

Thompson?  No comprendo.

Texas at Maryland - Win - The coaching staff won't allow a repeat of last season. 38-17

Tulsa at Texas - Win - Texas tunes up the starters in the first half and gets reps for the 3 deep in the 2nd half.  45-13

USC at Texas - Win - This will be ND at DKR all over again and just as close. 45-42

TCU at Texas - Loss - Patterson replaces the purple wizard as Texas' nemesis 27-24

Texas at K State - Loss - Snyder says my purple >frog purple 24-21

Texas vs zero u - Loss - this series always seems to run in streaks. Texas sits at 3-3 and people are freaking out. Texas has lost 3 games by less than 21 points total. 40-30

Baylor at Texas - Win - Dominant win. Baylor plays tough early but knuckles under as Texas hits on all cylinders in the 2nd half. 35-10

Texas at Okie Lite - Win - The defense confuses the retooled Cowboy offense into multiple turnovers while the offense is steady. 28-7

WVa at Texas - Win - A shootout. The Texas offense comes alive while the defense gives fans pause. 45-35

Texas at Tech - Win - A low scoring game for this series. 28-24

Iowa St at Texas - Win - Iowa St takes a step back after last years successful season. 38-17

Texas at Kansas - Win - It's no contest from the start. 54-14

Texas finishes 2nd in the Big 12 and plays the land thieves. Riley and his meth smoking acolytes find out revenge is a dish best served cold (Klingon proverb) 45-35

History has shown you must have a generational type QB if the OLine is just above average or a game manager type behind a top 5 OLine with playmakers around the QB.  UT has neither scenario working in its favor.  Consistency on offense will continue to be a struggle and despite the best efforts of the defense, UT will more than likely drop a few games this season, but remain in the Big XII race b/c of the average nature of the conference.

On 4/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, Coal Harbour said:

History has shown you must have a generational type QB if the OLine is just above average or a game manager type behind a top 5 OLine with playmakers around the QB.  UT has neither scenario working in its favor.  Consistency on offense will continue to be a struggle and despite the best efforts of the defense, UT will more than likely drop a few games this season, but remain in the Big XII race b/c of the average nature of the conference.

IMO, our OL will be above average - at least compared to the Big 12 defenses.  Our QB will be average but steady and the game changer (Ingram) has not arrived on campus yet.  Beyond this and as many a top coach has said, you win with defense.  And we will have the best in the conference and one of the best in the nation. 

I know the past few years have jaded the optimism of most Longhorn fans, but get ready for a jolt of good news.  Our football team is going to be good.  Herman and Orlando are going to see to it.

Injuries will be key, of course.  I think this year will prove how adept we are at managing games.  Herman will be going up against a few brilliant coaches that manage games extraordinarily well.  Does the Purple wizard come to mind?

Football is like a sword fight - thrust and parry, thrust and parry.   It is not unusual for the better player to win with less talent.

We shall see how "Mensa" Herman really is.

9 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Injuries will be key, of course.  I think this year will prove how adept we are at managing games.  Herman will be going up against a few brilliant coaches that manage games extraordinarily well.  Does the Purple wizard come to mind?

Football is like a sword fight - thrust and parry, thrust and parry.   It is not unusual for the better player to win with less talent.

We shall see how "Mensa" Herman really is.

The Mensa part was hiring McKnight and Orlando.

2 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Tech returns like 10 of their 11 starters on defense that held us to 23 pts in Nov.  Not saying they'll be world beaters, but I wouldn't count on a bad Tech defense either.

and if our "play caller" would have had half a brain and remembered we were trying to kill clock on 3rd and 2...