Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
doc longhorn

Way too early predictions - Longhorns

10 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Bingo... when does grandy decide if he goes on his mission or not?

Angilau.  Guess we'll know in about a month if he shows or not.  The general consensus that I've gathered from other sites is they expect him to report in the summer and do his mission trip after college.

1 minute ago, Slimer said:

Angilau.  Guess we'll know in about a month if he shows or not.  The general consensus that I've gathered from other sites is they expect him to report in the summer and do his mission trip after college.

Dang it, I was wrong again.... if he comes won’t he be able to contribute also or he need a redshirt year? Thanks slimer 

2 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Dang it, I was wrong again.... if he comes won’t he be able to contribute also or he need a redshirt year? Thanks slimer 

Angilau is a Guard IMO.  Him and Ghirmai at Guard and R. Moore and Jones are Tackles.  I hope all 4 RS.  Angilau is a multi-year starter IMO.

Spring game thoughts:

CAVEAT:  All my opinions should be tempered with the understanding it was simply a spring scrimmage where the defense always knew what to expect from the offense and Herman (for some reason still not understood) decided to mix-match starters on offense.

1.  Both QB's and both RB's were basically meh.  Journeyman play at best.

2. OL was no different than last year's.  (this will improve when the starters play together and Anderson arrives and Okafor is benched)

3. Okafor is not a LT.  In fact is not even a starter.  May could play a little guard.  Maybe.

4. LJH is legit and a chain mover

5. Receivers are MUCH better than last year.  If the OL can give the average QB's a little time, it will open up the running game.

6. Ingram and Anderson can't get here quick enough.

7. UT needs to pay for a criminal lawyer for Hager.  He is going to kill someone this year.

8. LB's looked vicious

9.  DL will be unfair this year

10. DB's are simply awesome

12. 11.  Freshmen QB's looked good playing against the scrubs.  Rising will be the first true QB since Colt.  Both he and Thompson need to RS.

30 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

Spring game thoughts:

CAVEAT:  All my opinions should be tempered with the understanding it was simply a spring scrimmage where the defense always knew what to expect from the offense and Herman (for some reason still not understood) decided to mix-match starters on offense.

1.  Both QB's and both RB's were basically meh.  Journeyman play at best.

2. OL was no different than last year's.  (this will improve when the starters play together and Anderson arrives and Okafor is benched)

3. Okafor is not a LT.  In fact is not even a starter.  May could play a little guard.  Maybe.

4. LJH is legit and a chain mover

5. Receivers are MUCH better than last year.  If the OL can give the average QB's a little time, it will open up the running game.

6. Ingram and Anderson can't get here quick enough.

7. UT needs to pay for a criminal lawyer for Hager.  He is going to kill someone this year.

8. LB's looked vicious

9.  DL will be unfair this year

10. DB's are simply awesome

12. 11.  Freshmen QB's looked good playing against the scrubs.  Rising will be the first true QB since Colt.  Both he and Thompson need to RS.

Thanks doc. Much appreciated

I re-watched the game and saw where the defense was mostly vanilla.  This defense could be one of the best defenses I have ever seen in college football.  And that spans more than a few years.  I base this rather surprising comment on the talent I see, but mostly on Orlando's intelligent usage and game management.

I promise you we will be surprised when an opponents offense scores on this group.

4 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

I re-watched the game and saw where the defense was mostly vanilla.  This defense could be one of the best defenses I have ever seen in college football.  And that spans more than a few years.  I base this rather surprising comment on the talent I see, but mostly on Orlando's intelligent usage and game management.

I promise you we will be surprised when an opponents offense scores on this group.

I agree. As I said in the game thread, it would not surprise me to see this defense be every bit as good as last year's. They have a very confident swagger about them that only the best defenses have.

On the other hand, I see an offense with very little confidence and swagger. 

13 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I agree. As I said in the game thread, it would not surprise me to see this defense be every bit as good as last year's. They have a very confident swagger about them that only the best defenses have.

What concerns me about the offense the most, is they don't seem to have a basis.  Just like last year.  Trick plays in a spring game.  wtf?  Herman better find a signature offense in a hurry.  Put a starting QB out there, along with a starting RB and devil take the hindmost.

16 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

I just watched OU's spring game and I must say - our mediocre QB's looked like Heisman candidates compared to OU's QB's.   Maybe our QB's are not so meh after all.

A close friend of mine who is a Tech alumnus said their offense looked like an average high school offense in their spring game. He was pretty disgusted.

I have now watched most of our opponents spring games.  Yeah, yeah, I know springs games mean virtually nothing compared to real games.  But one can form an opinion based on specific talents that is seen.  Okie lite has a QB that is very good.  Outside of him, the drop off is significant for the other teams.  OSU's receivers made their QB look good as well.  That being said, Our QB's are looking better and better. 

OU is going to have a rough year, IMO.

I maintain what I have predicted and I am starting to even get a little excited about it - UT will be the team to beat in the conference.

DC's always try to take away one part of the opposing team's offense.  In the case of UT it always has been our running game.  And because that was the weakest part of our offense, it was easy to do.  Consequently, all a defense had to do was concentrate on was our passing game. 

Ricky Williams was right - we need a superstar and he needs to be an RB, IMO.  Sure our OL's have always been mediocre to poor.  But so have our QB's and RB's (with the exception of Foreman) IMO.  Bad as our OL and QB's were, what do you think Rickey or Earl would still have done?

But, also IMO, I think we have an RB coming that has potential to be that superstar.  And you know who I am talking about.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:30 PM, doc longhorn said:

I have now watched most of our opponents spring games.  Yeah, yeah, I know springs games mean virtually nothing compared to real games.  But one can form an opinion based on specific talents that is seen.  Okie lite has a QB that is very good.  Outside of him, the drop off is significant for the other teams.  OSU's receivers made their QB look good as well.  That being said, Our QB's are looking better and better. 

OU is going to have a rough year, IMO.

I maintain what I have predicted and I am starting to even get a little excited about it - UT will be the team to beat in the conference.

Watched a little of Maryland.  No way we should lay an egg this year.  Even if Pigrome or Hill come back at QB they'll be learning a completely new offense they missed all spring.  I think the kid who started the spring game starts but one of the others eventually takes over.

51 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Tech just had another RB transfer and he was the only RB listed on the Tech depth chart.

Klingsbury is gonna be so fired this year. We should start a thread and try to map out, on the schedule, exactly when it happens. lol

On 4/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, North Texas Golfer said:

I've thought about this comment a bit.  As good as last years?  There is no doubt that last years defense, with the exception of Maryland and Tech, was pretty salty.  However, it had an Achilles heel and that was stopping runs up the middle.  And, most on here probably won't like this, but I lay the blame, on Malik Jefferson.  As an outside backer he was awesome.  As a MLB he was average at best.  In the pros, Malik is going going to get a cold dose of reality.  If you can't or won't play physical, you aren't going to last long.