Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
doc longhorn

Way too early predictions - Longhorns

5 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Tech returns like 10 of their 11 starters on defense that held us to 23 pts in Nov.  Not saying they'll be world beaters, but I wouldn't count on a bad Tech defense either.

Held us to 23 points with a VERY depleted O-Line and possibly the worst offense in the league..... the line if able to stay healthy will ease a lot of folks minds this year 

14 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Held us to 23 points with a VERY depleted O-Line and possibly the worst offense in the league..... the line if able to stay healthy will ease a lot of folks minds this year 

Agreed!

On 4/5/2018 at 9:55 AM, Coal Harbour said:

History has shown you must have a generational type QB if the OLine is just above average or a game manager type behind a top 5 OLine with playmakers around the QB.  UT has neither scenario working in its favor.  Consistency on offense will continue to be a struggle and despite the best efforts of the defense, UT will more than likely drop a few games this season, but remain in the Big XII race b/c of the average nature of the conference.

Pretty reasonable take by Coal right here.

No part of the offense was worth a crap last year. Not the line, not the QB, not the RB, nor the WR. And, just for good measure, I'll throw in the offensive coaching staff. The defense will show up no question but what happens on offense will obviously play a huge part next year. 

If the offense just improves to average, there is no game on the schedule that is not winnable and I could see double digit wins. If the offense improves significantly, running the table is not out of the question. 

22 hours ago, Texas2725 said:

Tech returns like 10 of their 11 starters on defense that held us to 23 pts in Nov.  Not saying they'll be world beaters, but I wouldn't count on a bad Tech defense either.

With all due respect, their 10 returning starters were manhandled by just about every team they played.  We're not skeered.  :)

45 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

From the physiological side of things, that would be a very disconcerting thing to observe.

Prepare your anus.

Yeah, gold bricks are very heavy. He would have been better off just shitting a brick.

Everyone likes to comment on the concerns we have about our football team.  The truth is all teams have concerns they grapple with every spring.  It would be a fun and interesting post if someone could compile a list of concerns every team we play are dealing with this spring.  I'm talking about a list of concerns the team is publishing - not the national media.

8 hours ago, doc longhorn said:

Everyone likes to comment on the concerns we have about our football team.  The truth is all teams have concerns they grapple with every spring.  It would be a fun and interesting post if someone could compile a list of concerns every team we play are dealing with this spring.  I'm talking about a list of concerns the team is publishing - not the national media.

The conference as a whole will be down next year. Too many losses on certain teams not to be that way.

OU lost a heisman QB and their top O and D stars.

TCU will start a new QB and also lost some of their top playmakers.

On paper – WV is the most talented team in the conference – speaking specifically on the first team starters.

ISU lost a ton.

Baylor . . . who cares?

Tech . . . I know we lost last time out, but don't see that happening again. They'll be better defensively, but what does that really mean?

KSU . . . lost several but this is the one place where that stuff doesn't seem to matter. 

OSU . . . Tons of talent, but its all young.

SHA....you better check on WV again. They lost their freshman AA to transfer on the DL and another starter to transfer. With only 4 scholarship Defensive linemen on the roster I dont see how they can be the best on paper. They are getting a grad transfer DL but he has not played a down in 2 years.

16 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

SHA....you better check on WV again. They lost their freshman AA to transfer on the DL and another starter to transfer. With only 4 scholarship Defensive linemen on the roster I dont see how they can be the best on paper. They are getting a grad transfer DL but he has not played a down in 2 years.

They have the best and most experienced QB in the conference. And he has his favorite weapon, WR David Sills, back as well as their leading receiver Jennings and the stud Marcus Sims who averaged almost 20 yards per catch last year.

There are 4 starters returning on their OL which was arguably the best in the conference last year. (19 sacks on 500 pass attempts)

WV has never been that great of a. defensive team though they were ok last year. I don't see one position where they can plug and play causing the needle to move much.

Maryland - lost its entire front 7 to graduation ( DE Jesse Aniebonem returns after being granted a medical year ) and lost 2 guys in the secondary.  If we can't move the ball on them we are in trouble.  They do return all 5 OL and both RB's.  They'll also be running Matt Canada's offense ( see LSU last year ).

Tulsa - tune up for USC

USC - should be an electric atmosphere.  Don't think it'll be high scoring, USC will be breaking in a new QB who will be up against an attacking defense in revenge mode.  

TCU - lost a ton but Fatterson is a top notch coach.  Lets see how they come out after playing Ohio State the week before.

K-State - playing in the Purple Wizard's backyard is always worrisome.  And they'll return most everyone on offense.  Defense will be a huge ? though that won't feature a ton of speed either.

OU - we are taking this game this year.

Baylor - shouldn't be a problem.

OK-State - will be interesting to see how the offense looks for them.

TTech - as crazy as it sounds, the defense could be better than the offense.  Not 1 single skill guy returns.

ISU - scrappy bunch, don't take them lightly but our D' should be able to do what they did last year to them.

WVU - dangerous offensive team, I think our D' will play them like they did OK-State this past year at home.  Not a very physical team and a mess on D', especially at DL.

KU - could be cold in late November in Lawrence but that should be the only thing to worry about.

12 hours ago, Slimer said:

Maryland - lost its entire front 7 to graduation ( DE Jesse Aniebonem returns after being granted a medical year ) and lost 2 guys in the secondary.  If we can't move the ball on them we are in trouble.  They do return all 5 OL and both RB's.  They'll also be running Matt Canada's offense ( see LSU last year ).

Tulsa - tune up for USC

USC - should be an electric atmosphere.  Don't think it'll be high scoring, USC will be breaking in a new QB who will be up against an attacking defense in revenge mode.  

TCU - lost a ton but Fatterson is a top notch coach.  Lets see how they come out after playing Ohio State the week before.

K-State - playing in the Purple Wizard's backyard is always worrisome.  And they'll return most everyone on offense.  Defense will be a huge ? though that won't feature a ton of speed either.

OU - we are taking this game this year.

Baylor - shouldn't be a problem.

OK-State - will be interesting to see how the offense looks for them.

TTech - as crazy as it sounds, the defense could be better than the offense.  Not 1 single skill guy returns.

ISU - scrappy bunch, don't take them lightly but our D' should be able to do what they did last year to them.

WVU - dangerous offensive team, I think our D' will play them like they did OK-State this past year at home.  Not a very physical team and a mess on D', especially at DL.

KU - could be cold in late November in Lawrence but that should be the only thing to worry about.

Excellent take.  Keep in mind we play TCU at our house.  That should count for something.  In addition, there is no love lost between Patterson and Herman.  If he can, Herman will take no prisoners.  And I agree, WVU is an absolute trap game.

I can't remember where I read it, but some publication said Vegas will have us favored in every game.  That seems unlikely because - OU.

6 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

Excellent take.  Keep in mind we play TCU at our house.  That should count for something.  In addition, there is no love lost between Patterson and Herman.  If he can, Herman will take no prisoners.  And I agree, WVU is an absolute trap game.

I can't remember where I read it, but some publication said Vegas will have us favored in every game.  That seems unlikely because - OU.

Should have also noted 3/5 of Maryland's starting OL has missed all of spring practice and Max Bortenschlager has been starting QB.  Pigrome and Hill are still recovering from ACL tears.

Back when we were looking for a new HC, Patterson was my preference.  He can flat coach.  That being said, I hope Herman stomps into a mud hole.  I'm serious, I dislike the SOB personally and I know for a fact the Herman does.  Someday, when I have had a beer too many I'll tell you why.

This is going to be a war.

Back when we were looking for a new HC, Patterson was my preference.  He can flat coach.  That being said, I hope Herman stomps into a mud hole.  I'm serious, I dislike the SOB personally and I know for a fact the Herman does.  Someday, when I have had a beer too many I'll tell you why.

Back when we were looking for a new HC, Patterson was my preference.  He can flat coach.  That being said, I hope Herman stomps them into a mud hole.  I'm serious, I dislike the SOB personally and I know for a fact that Herman does.  Someday, when I have had a beer too many I'll tell you why.

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW TO DELETE MULTIPLE IDENTICAL COMMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, doc longhorn said:

Uh, I think you're there. Tell us more. lol

I wish I could have watched it. I will be watching it on YouTube later today. 

I am reading mixed reviews, but from what I have read the OL is still a work in progress. The run game, wr game and qb all looked improved. The D looked salty.  I now the offense is never clicking on all cylinders in the spring but would love to see some improvement. 

One I did read was the tackling was much improved which I really like to see. 

12 minutes ago, 605Longhorn said:

I wish I could have watched it. I will be watching it on YouTube later today. 

I am reading mixed reviews, but from what I have read the OL is still a work in progress. The run game, wr game and qb all looked improved. The D looked salty.  I now the offense is never clicking on all cylinders in the spring but would love to see some improvement. 

One I did read was the tackling was much improved which I really like to see. 

Keep in mind the OL that was on the field last night will look nothing like what it will come August.  Anderson will man the LT spot and Hudson and Grandy should be full go.

33 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Keep in mind the OL that was on the field last night will look nothing like what it will come August.  Anderson will man the LT spot and Hudson and Grandy should be full go.

Bingo... when does grandy decide if he goes on his mission or not?