Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
echeese

Da Boys in the hunt for Kenny Vacarro

On 3/21/2018 at 8:12 PM, Baron said:

Thomas has never been a starter in the league. The Boy's still need to find someone to replace Hitchens.

I have to amend this. I was wrong. He did start 6 games last year for Green Bay. BUT he is still considered a back up or package player.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:11 PM, Daniel Seahorn said:

What is Dallas’ cap situation right now? I know they were up against it when FA started, but Frederick restructured. I believe I saw that they were the only team that hadn’t added anyone new to date. 

It's been fast and furious with Da Boys. . . Whitten has been re-structured freeing up $3.5 million.

Now they have signed Allen Hurns to go along with Thompson and are flirting hard with Pat's Ex RT Fleming.

Hurns' signing is interesting, he and Sammy Watkins have similar numbers over the last 3 years but Hurns came for less than half the price.

Still hope they can land a S, Vacarro or Boston available but for what price.

They also still have a need at LB as the kid they signed is more a back up/STs guy.

25 minutes ago, echeese said:

It's been fast and furious with Da Boys. . . Whitten has been re-structured freeing up $3.5 million.

Now they have signed Allen Hurns to go along with Thompson and are flirting hard with Pat's Ex RT Fleming.

Hurns' signing is interesting, he and Sammy Watkins have similar numbers over the last 3 years but Hurns came for less than half the price.

They also still have a need at LB as the kid they signed is more a back up/STs guy.

Anybody think Dez is gone?

The way I see it, he's gone. It's too late for a cap friendly deal.

5 hours ago, echeese said:

Yup i saw the Witten restructure today and I like the Hurns signing. Wonder if Dez consents to a restructure deal. 

14 hours ago, drgilbert said:

I think it’s time to move on from Dez. I was excited when we got him but his inconsistency has been a disappointment. He never was a true M. Irvin type. 

10 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Yup i saw the Witten restructure today and I like the Hurns signing. Wonder if Dez consents to a restructure deal. 

Depending on who you read, cutting Dez saves $8 million with $8 of dead money or $12 million with $4 of Dead money.

Personally, I think he's done. .  .he has been fat, out of shape and lazy since he got the big money.  .. 

Dallas stands with 7 WRs today and likely adds one in the draft. . . .somebody's gotta go.

1 hour ago, echeese said:

Depending on who you read, cutting Dez saves $8 million with $8 of dead money or $12 million with $4 of Dead money.

Personally, I think he's done. .  .he has been fat, out of shape and lazy since he got the big money.  .. 

Dallas stands with 7 WRs today and likely adds one in the draft. . . .somebody's gotta go.

If they cut him or release him then I would be in line to sign him because he’s going to be highly motivated. 

46 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

If they cut him or release him then I would be in line to sign him because he’s going to be highly motivated. 

Yeah, I'll concede he'll give a team one good year . . .. .maybe even 2. .  ..but he's not a Top 25 NFL WR today and he's getting Top 5 money.

He damn sure isn't motivated to play for Dallas.  . .is a sideline cancer and I've heard he's not as popular in the locker room as many claim.     

I'd rather have $12 million in cap space today and take one of the 2nd tier (if Ridley doesn't fall to them at 19) WRs like:

DJ Chark

Anthony Miller

Moore but I think he never sees 50 and no way at 19 for me

Deonte Pettis UDub (kids is GOOD, he can actually run routes, has better speed than Dez and he catches the damn ball)

The ND kid who's name won't fit on the jersey

Frankly I'd love James Washington from OSU 

Not saying any of those are Dez in his prime but wager any as good as Dez is today.  . .face it, my problem is people think the Dez from 4 seasons ago will show up today. . . .last 3 years. . .not so much.

19 minutes ago, echeese said:

Yeah, I'll concede he'll give a team one good year . . .. .maybe even 2. .  ..but he's not a Top 25 NFL WR today and he's getting Top 5 money.

He damn sure isn't motivated to play for Dallas.  . .is a sideline cancer and I've heard he's not as popular in the locker room as many claim.     

I'd rather have $12 million in cap space today and take one of the 2nd tier (if Ridley doesn't fall to them at 19) WRs like:

DJ Chark

Anthony Miller

Moore but I think he never sees 50 and no way at 19 for me

Deonte Pettis UDub (kids is GOOD, he can actually run routes, has better speed than Dez and he catches the damn ball)

The ND kid who's name won't fit on the jersey

Frankly I'd love James Washington from OSU 

Not saying any of those are Dez in his prime but wager any as good as Dez is today.  . .face it, my problem is people think the Dez from 4 seasons ago will show up today. . . .last 3 years. . .not so much.

I’m with you. His production definitely hasn’t been there for the price tag he is fetching right now. If my team wanted to sign him I would put him on a 1 or 2 year prove it type of deal to see if he could potentially earn one more pay day for himself. 

Turning this into Da Boys' update thread. . . .

Boys signed 5 players in FA so far and traded for a guy I think might be a very solid contributor.

Working backwards, Da Boys just inked  Marcus Martin to fill the OG spot vacated by Jonathan Cooper signing with Da Ray Duhs.

Marcus Martin, 5th year pro from USC projected to be the starting LG and back up center.   Very nice 2nd tier signing.

Cameron Fleming, 4th year pro from Stanford, projects to be Dallas' swing OT.   To me, a YUGE signing given the questions about Smith and this is a player who started 15 games for the Pats last year including 3 in the playoffs.   We now have real depth along the OL.

And in my wild world, assuming Ridley is gone and given the history of Dallas not valuing 1 Tech (the defenses biggest though not only hole), this means there should be 4-6 (at least) players at 19 Da Boys want and opens the possibility of a trade back to get another 2nd or 3rd (depending on who wants what).

Love this as the rumor is Dallas only has 12-14 guys with 1st round grades but a very large pool of players with 2nd/3rd round grades.

Allen Hurns,  WR and biggest FA signing not counting Demarcus Lawrence of the off season.  He was very productive (per game stats very similar to Dez' past 2 years) but he has missed 10 games or so the past 2 seasons.    He might take T-Will's job very quickly and upgrade the WR corps.   

Dallas now has 7 WRs under contract and odds are very high they take a WR with one of their 1st 3 picks.   But with this much WR talent, could this mean they try to draft the TE of the future?    Lots of options now for Da Boys.

Deonte Thompson, WR, was with both the Bills and Bears last year, 38 catches for 555 yards including a huge 11 catch 2 TD day.   Also a well established KO returner.   He's my #2 sleeper pick but is only on a 1 year contract.   He has blazing 4.32 speed and good hands.   he will stretch the D.

Joe Thomas, LB    Another young guy, 26.   All of these guys are young and yet to hit their peak.   Thomas started 8 games for GB and was picked up for depth and to replace Kyle Wilber.   

Jamize Olawale, FB.   Traded with Ray-Duhs to replace Kevin Smith and frankly pretty sure this is an upgrade, maybe a serious upgrade.   Smith is a better pure blocker but Olawale (a player Dallas signed as an UDFA in 2012 and he hung on the practice squad for a bit) is a much better runner and pass catcher.    If Scotty L can pull his head out and design an offense around Dak, I think JO might be the sleeper find of the off season.   Especially as a pass receiver off play action.  One on One with a LB is a mis-match.   Think he turns into Dak's check down guy.  Of course I also expect to see Zeke's receptions increase dramatically next year.

Summation:

Dallas has made some good moves to shore up the WR corps and offensive line.   If nothing else, we'll see some real completion especially at WR and we now have a serious upgrade at back up OT for either Bell or Green, neither of whom I expect to see on the roster.  Also, everyone they have added is young.   

Now 7 WRs gets interesting as Da Boys like to carry 5.   Do not be shocked to see either Beasley (last year of his contract) or T-Will (less likely but I can dream) traded even for late draft picks.  If it were me, Dez would be a 1 June cut but he's likely a Cowboy for one more year.    UNLESS, someone like Ridley falls to them.   Though frankly, give me James Washington in the 2nd or Anthony Miller from Memphis. . . .let the run game lean on Zeke and let the new WRs use their speed to spread the field.

I fully expect Da Boys to still draft an OL player but now they don't have to do it at 19. . . 

Holes to be filled, I doubt that Whitten's replacement is on the roster so I expect to see a TE drafted.

There is still room for 2 (maybe 3) LBs, Sean Lee's replacement is not on the roster, love him but he's aging and injury prone.

Secondary still needs a S, I'd be fine with Tre Boston or Kenny V but think they should draft a S as well.   Jordan Reid or Kyser White from WVU would look good with a star.

Edge rusher, we could lose both Lawrence and Irving (I wouldn't cry if the Colts signed Irving this year and we nabbed their high 2 then took Harold Landry out of BC) after this year.   We certainly don't re-sign both

And to me, the biggest hole on the team, a run stuffing pocket collapsing 1 Tech.  Bad news, for some reason, Da Boys seriously undervalue 1 Tech.  They did resign Price so they could go with just one more this offseason which moves Collins back to his natural 3 Tech.

At 19, I am 100% on board drafting either Vita Vea (a beast) or Payne from Bama. .. .to me if either is there or Ridley, you take them.  Otherwise trade back.    Now if the S James slides into the 12-15 round range (really don't see this), I would entertain a trade up but it has to be a REALLY special player.

Keep in mind there are quality 1 Techs available in the 1st 4 rounds including our own Poona Ford who I think would be AWESOME for Dallas.   He is severely under rated.

With 10 draft picks, Da Boys need (not in any real order)

1 Tech

WR

2 LBs  (make for great STs players too)

TE

OL

Edge

S