Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
echeese

Da Boys in the hunt for Kenny Vacarro

Trying to keep the board updated on my home town Dallas Cowboys

One of the complaints about Jerry that while completely unfounded, never seems to go away is that he does not draft or sign Longhorns.

Here's a Longhorn they tried to draft, took off the board before they picked, they tried to trade for and now are looking to sign in FA.

Sadly I fear the money is too much (Da Boys ain't got much room thanks to contracts with Romo, Dez and Crawford) but a myth that needs to die.

[IMG]

If the Cowboys make a big free agent signing this offseason, it’s going to be the safety they wanted in 2013. He was a pre-draft visitor coming out of college, but was selected three spots before the Cowboys were on the clock. Last year, his name surfaced again as the team was rumored to be trying to deal Orlando Scandrick and a sixth-round pick to acquire Vaccarofrom the Saints.

The Saints are willing to let Vaccaro test the free agent market as they just recently signed former Panthers’ safety Kurt Coleman. The Cowboys will now have a chance to get the veteran safety as long as the price is within reason. Vaccaro missed games last season due to an injury and while he’s played well - his price could be on the fringe of where the Cowboys front office are willing to pay to land him.

Dallas is cautious about spending a lot of money on free agents, but they’ve done their homework with Vaccaro. Their continued interest in him may allow the front office to open up their wallets a little more to get him.

Contract: Five-years, $30.5 million ($6.1 M average)

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ee-agency-five-targets-for-the-dallas-cowboys

Jerry backed the Brinks truck up for Roy Williams and Leonard Davis. He'll sign Longhorns if he's so inclined. I just think folks (me included) are still miffed at Uncle Jerrah for passing on Jamal Charles and drafting Felix Jones...we all know how that worked out

Apparently the boys were looking to trade Scandrick for Vacarro, but now that Scandrick has asked to be released, this trade seems to be falling through the cracks.  Jerry doesn't have much cap room unfortunately.  Would be nice to speed up Earl Thomas' timeline per his comments last season about eventually seeing himself as a Cowboy.

2 hours ago, echeese said:

Yes, Da Boys freeing up some room.  Think they can land 2-3 FAs depending on price.

Vacarro or Tre Boston at S to me is a must.

The safety market is getting squeezed  good bit. If Mathieu took 7 a 1-yr/7 mill deal in Houston then that’s not a great sign for the rest of the guys out there. 

On 3/17/2018 at 11:12 AM, Daniel Seahorn said:

The safety market is getting squeezed  good bit. If Mathieu took 7 a 1-yr/7 mill deal in Houston then that’s not a great sign for the rest of the guys out there. 

True but you still have Vacarro Boston and at least one other guy who can play stop gap. . . .REALLY hope to see Da Boys take a S in the Top 3 rounds.

Of course I am now REALLY hoping Indy comes after Irving and Dallas adds a high pick in the 2nd.   Of course then I hope they trade back a bit and add another 2nd or 3rd.

My logic is, if none of their 1st round players on their board falls to 19, why not add more players from their 2nd tier talent pool.

5 hours ago, echeese said:

True but you still have Vacarro Boston and at least one other guy who can play stop gap. . . .REALLY hope to see Da Boys take a S in the Top 3 rounds.

Of course I am now REALLY hoping Indy comes after Irving and Dallas adds a high pick in the 2nd.   Of course then I hope they trade back a bit and add another 2nd or 3rd.

My logic is, if none of their 1st round players on their board falls to 19, why not add more players from their 2nd tier talent pool.

What is Dallas’ cap situation right now? I know they were up against it when FA started, but Frederick restructured. I believe I saw that they were the only team that hadn’t added anyone new to date. 

The rise of salaries seems to be outpacing the expansion of the salary cap. This is not a good thing. Only a handful of teams seem to understand this and have structured their payroll accordingly. When one player commands more than 10% of your budget on a 50+ roster, things will start to go downhill, unless you have an excellent scouting staff and GM.

17 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

And some of that has to go to the rookie class. I wonder if anymore restructures take place to free up more space. 

Losing Hitch also helped with the cap...

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

Hitch...2mil

Okay I thought it was something that transpired within the last couple days, so I assume his cap number was added into the 10 mil figure. It looks like if Dallas is bringing in anyone new it will be a team friendly vet deal or rookie salary from the Draft. 

It’s wild to me that they are the only team so far to not sign anyone, but that’s what happens when you are up against the cap. 

Cowboys free agency rumorhttps://mobile.twitter.com/jonmachota/status/976601159174688768 tracker: News, signings, cuts and more

Dallas is bringing in three offensive linemen and two receivers for a loThe Cowboys have already made some of moves. The big one was slapping the franchise tag on defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. This will cost the Cowboys over $17 million in 2018, but worth it to keep the guy who racked up 14.5 sacks in 2017.

The Cowboys also have reportedly brought back defensive tackle Brian Priceon a two-year deal. He adds insurance at the 1-tech position. 

The Cowboys created a little room on the salary cap by releasing Benson Mayowaand Joe Vellano.

More Cowboys moves and rumors

March 19: The Cowboys might have an interest in LB NaVorro Bowman, but it’s not a priority yet.

March 19: Reports that the Cowboys will be bringing in five players for a look early this week - OT Cameron Fleming, OT LaAdrian Waddle, G Marcus Martin, WR Justin Hunter and WR Dontrelle Inman.

March 18: Long-snapper L.P. LaDouceur agrees to a one-year deal.

March 18: Cowboys are scheduling a meeting with offensive tackle Cameron Fleming, who previously played in New England.

March 17: Versatile Browns offensive lineman Marcus Martin will visit the Lions and Cowboys, Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network reports (via Twitter). The 24-year-old Martin can play all interior spots, and would be a good fit as a backup. 

March 17: The Raiders have signed LB Kyle Wilber to an unspecified contract.

March 17: Orlando Scandrick gets his wish and is released by the Cowboys and designated a June 1 cut. As such, Scandrick will save the Cowboys $3 million in cap room in 2018, but will be on the 2019 books with $1.6 million in dead money.

March 15: Jason LaCanfora reports several unnamed teams are in talks with Seattle about Earl Thomas.

March 15: Per Jane Slater of NFLN, RB Alfred Morris won't return to Dallas, as several teams are interested in him. 

March 15: The Raiders and FB Keith Smith have agreed to terms on a 2-year deal worth $4.2 million.

March 14: Travis Frederick will have his contract restructured, freeing up $7.5 million in cap space.

March 14: Conflicting reports from ESPN employees about the Cowboys possible interest in Ndamukong Suh.

March 14: The Cowboys have placed a second-round tender (worth $2.91 million) on defensive lineman David Irving.

March 13: Rumors that the Cowboys were considering signing Sammy Watkins, possibly as a replacement to Dez Bryant, shake up the Cowboys wide receiver situation. 

March 13: Looks like Anthony Hitchens is headed to Kansas City. 

The #Chiefs are now adding a big weapon on defense: They plan to sign former #CowboysLB Anthony Hitchens to a deal worth $9M per year, sources tell me and @TomPelissero.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2018

March 12: Orlando Scandrick requests his release from the team

March 11: Cowboys re-sign ERFA Brian Price

March 7: Cowboys release defensive end Benson Mayowa and defensive tackle Joe Vellano

March 6: Tony Pauline reports that almost everyone at the Combine expects Anthony Hitchens to end up in Indianapolis

March 5: Cowboys franchise tag DeMarcus Lawrence

Cowboys 2018 free agents

This free agent list is taken from Spotrac.com

DE DeMarcus Lawrence - Franchise tag

LB Anthony Hitchens - Headed to Kansas City

RB Alfred Morris

Jonathan Cooper

LS L.P. Ladouceur- —Re-signed to one-year deal

LB Kyle Wilber— Headed to Oakland

Joe Looney

Byron Bell

WR Brice Butler