Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Baron

Longhorn News/Discussion (Non-recruiting)

So maybe I’m just different but I don’t know how I feel about this. Showed below is a clip of a free write up from TFB.

Just one additional note I’ll add. Practice is freakin intense. I help cover both Texas and OU for us. And the practice methods in terms of sheer violence and tackling coming from the defense on the Texas side don’t strike me as normal. The Herman/Orlando philosophy regarding protecting against injuries vs. hitting anything that moves in practice is a departure from what I’m used to with OU who are a lot more cautious.

I like Texas playing vicious but these injuires get me nervous. The “bloody” Tuesday practices always concerned me. But hell they make the big bucks for a reason 

10 hours ago, okiehorn said:

So maybe I’m just different but I don’t know how I feel about this. Showed below is a clip of a free write up from TFB.

Just one additional note I’ll add. Practice is freakin intense. I help cover both Texas and OU for us. And the practice methods in terms of sheer violence and tackling coming from the defense on the Texas side don’t strike me as normal. The Herman/Orlando philosophy regarding protecting against injuries vs. hitting anything that moves in practice is a departure from what I’m used to with OU who are a lot more cautious.

I like Texas playing vicious but these injuires get me nervous. The “bloody” Tuesday practices always concerned me. But hell they make the big bucks for a reason 

I didn't see what you saw, but I can say from experience the Texas method is by far the best.

There is no "switch" that can be turned on after kick off. You either know that next level or you don't. When you live it every day in practice, odds are most of your team will be at that next level.

Additionally, getting hit by OU will likely be seen as a break from the every day by the Texas offense. The Texas O may end up being the more aggressive unit of those two.

I've seen players protected during practices only to get hurt on a game's second play. 

42 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I didn't see what you saw, but I can say from experience the Texas method is by far the best.

There is no "switch" that can be turned on after kick off. You either know that next level or you don't. When you live it every day in practice, odds are most of your team will be at that next level.

Additionally, getting hit by OU will likely be seen as a break from the every day by the Texas offense. The Texas O may end up being the more aggressive unit of those two.

I've seen players protected during practices only to get hurt on a game's second play. 

Yea... as long as Texas stays healthy till sep 1st. Jury still out on that. I never said they don’t play tougher than anyone else. Wasn’t really my point. 

13 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Totally agree. Couple additional points.

As long as a team has plenty of depth then preseason injuries aren't really an issue. Remembering back to the Jimmy Johnson days, and he drove those teams hard in the preseason. Daryl Johnston would later comment that those tough preseason practices wore them down earlier in the season, but the Cowboys were always ready to hit in the opener.

Of course that was before the salary cap, and Cowboys were 3 deep in some places. However fear of preseason injuries has led many coaches to over-react and under-prepare teams for the season.  

Players are also less likely to get injured during the season if they are put through the grind in preseason. They are better prepared to handle game-level hits with the stamina to go 4 quarters.

Johnston had a valid point about wearing down during the season, but that can be mitigated with conditioning and rotations. Having a good rotation is another area where depth is key. 

This approach definitely has its risks, but we've seen too many Texas teams not ready to play when the season starts, or not ready to hit in the first big game. I'm really looking forward to seeing what a Texas team looks like being the aggressor in these situations. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

School admitted fault in the death of McNair. Which is all you really need to know about how that was handled. Really unfortunate and sad as hell. 

School punted on answering hard questions about Durkin, but the strength coach resigned today. 

That is all kinds of F up Lord have mercy 

Why did a reporter feel the need to ask both QB’s about the Ohio St. situation and if it has affected TH or the team?  What kind of answer did he think he was going to get?  It’s a nonissue and we need to move on. I guess he can go home and brag that he asked the tough question no one else would ask. Sheesh. For some reason that really ticked me off. Sorry about the rant.  Other than the stupidity of that question I thought both guys handled themselves quite well. 

2 minutes ago, drgilbert said:

Why did a reporter feel the need to ask both QB’s about the Ohio St. situation and if it has affected TH or the team?  What kind of answer did he think he was going to get?  It’s a nonissue and we need to move on. I guess he can go home and brag that he asked the tough question no one else would ask. Sheesh. For some reason that really ticked me off. Sorry about the rant.  Other than the stupidity of that question I thought both guys handled themselves quite well. 

I found it odd also. Hoping one would slip up. Or the question to Sam about tough practices, if he has experienced something like Maryland. Great answer on that one