Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Jameson McCausland

***Game Thread: Baylor vs Texas***

Via Texas Sports

Texas (15-10, 5-7 Big 12) vs. Baylor (15-10, 5-7 Big 12)

Monday, Feb. 12, 2018 - 8 p.m. Central

Frank Erwin Center (16,540) - Austin, Texas

GameDay Quick Facts

• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally by ESPN. Bob Wischusen (pxp), Fran Fraschilla (analyst) and Gene Wojciechowski (reporter) will call the action.

• RADIO: The Longhorn IMG Radio Network broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Eddie Oran (analyst) will call the action. Check www.TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.

• SERIES: Texas leads, 162-89. Last meeting: Baylor 69-60 (Jan. 6, 2018; Waco).

Notables

• HOME SUCCESS: Texas sports an 11-3 mark in games played at the Frank Erwin Center this season entering Monday's contest. The Longhorns have won three straight league home games against AP Top 20 opponents (defeating No. 16 TCU, No. 8 Texas Tech and No. 12 Oklahoma).

• IMPRESSIVE FRESHMAN: Freshman forward Mohamed Bamba topped the 20-point mark for the fourth time this year with his 23-point effort (two shy of his career high) at TCU on Saturday. He leads the Big 12 Conference in rebounding (10.6 rpg), blocks (98) and double-doubles (12) and ranks second nationally in blocks per game (4.08 bpg).

• DAVIS JR. PROVIDES SPARK: Junior guard Eric Davis Jr. is averaging 11.7 ppg while hitting 43.6% (24-55) from three-point range in 31.3 mpg over the last 10 contests. He has reached double figures in six of those 10 games, including a 16-point effort (6-8 FG, 3-3 threes) in 31 minutes on Saturday at TCU.

I’m over whether Texas will make the tournament or not and now focused on whether or not we will finish above .500 on the season?  

At 15-11 and games remaining against:  OU, K State, OSU, Kansas and WVU it’s a tough call.  Factor that with a tough opponent in round 1 of the Big 12 Tourney because we are currently sitting in 8th place.  

I’ll be interested to see what our new AD does with this mess.  I’m afraid if Shaka returns next season, the overriding reason will be a contract that makes it too expensive to part ways.  

7 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Groundhog Day....glad I didn't waste my time watching yet another loss.  Heard on the radio today Smart has a guaranteed contract through 2023...nice move there Steve Patterson.

Shaka is now 47-47 at Texas, rounding out year 3.  In the 10 team Big “12” we have finished:  4th, 10th and currently sit at 9th.  

Not one Texas player shot 50% or better last night, not one. The fact they were in this game at all is amazing. Yea it's only Baylor but their last game they beat Kansas by 16 in Waco.

It was mentioned during the game last night if the players are starting to feel the effect of what Jones is going through and to be honest, I've wondered the same thing myself.

For Texas to stand a chance in any of the remaining games, they need Dylan and Roach to hit some shots. If not, they'll be lucky to make the NIT.

6 hours ago, DBut82 said:

I know we don't like "youth" excuse but, per @tejasrulz and ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0754895887678839140-4

The thing about the youth excuse is that I’ve been hearing it in:  football, basketball and baseball for the better part of 10 years.  I wasn’t a math major; but something doesn’t seem right?