Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
CeddyB012

Roschon Johnson

Waiiiit.. am I the only one, what the hell is going on here?

I've heard people talk about Roschon Johnson and there seems to be campers on both sides.. some say he's got a chance, others say he's ok and talk about his bad 40 time and such.

Yo, his junior film is low key the best and most exciting highlight tape I've seen in a few years. I really don't think a QB jumped off the page like that to me since maybe Deshaun Watson's and all the way back to Vince Young at Madison and I've watched a tonnnnnn of film for QB's. WHY THE HELL IS THIS GUY NOT A TOP 5 QB IN THE COUNTRY?

No, seriously. I want a legit answer? Does he not go to camps or something, did he have a bad showing in a 7on7 setting.. like, I'm no pro scout but I know beasts when I see him and I legit can not tell based solely on his film why this man amongst boys isn't a 5 star recruit and hold an offer from every team in the country.

What the hell is going on? Oh you don't believe me? Give me one QB's HUDL from the 17 to 19 classes that looks more sick than this dudes: http://www.hudl.com/v/28Z3UR

Agreed, there is haters everywhere. He comes on campus and runs Mensa TOMS Offense and they’ll jump on wagon. This kid is true talent. Rumor has it he switches plays at the line, all on his own from reading the defense. Kid is ready. Until he proves me wrong I’ll stand by that. 

Yeah like I liked Risings jr tape and Casey was ok.. elusive little dude but like.. I wouldn't be surprised, especially if Sam cements his status as the started this year.. if neither one of those guys ever see the field here lol. I don't think it will take long for even those guys themselves to figure out.. Yeah that guy is better than us lol he's light years ahead of those guys even right now imo.

3 minutes ago, CeddyB012 said:

Yeah like I liked Risings jr tape and Casey was ok.. elusive little dude but like.. I wouldn't be surprised, especially if Sam cements his status as the started this year.. if neither one of those guys ever see the field here lol. I don't think it will take long for even those guys themselves to figure out.. Yeah that guy is better than us lol he's light years ahead of those guys even right now imo.

I would not count on any QB making it through a complete season. I love Sam, but he already has a history with injuries. So does Buechele.

This is why you need quality depth at QB.

If I were ranking them today, here's what I'd show:

1. Sam Ehlinger

2. Cam Rising

3. Buechele

4. Casey Thompson

Don't underestimate Cam Rising. Kid has all the tools. Thompson needs  more development but has a high upside.

Ro Jo might walk into Austin as the most talented QB on campus. But he will have much learning to do and we'll be able to afford a redshirt on him.

8 minutes ago, CeddyB012 said:

One of rising or Thompson will end of transferring. Both kids are ballers and won’t wanna sit the bench. Of course I’m wrong a lot but I can see this happening. I still think Sam is the guy for couple years, I mark it up to freshman mistakes. Even if I’m the only one. He has the will to win

2 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I would not count on any QB making it through a complete season. I love Sam, but he already has a history with injuries. So does Buechele.

This is why you need quality depth at QB.

If I were ranking them today, here's what I'd show:

1. Sam Ehlinger

2. Cam Rising

3. Buechele

4. Casey Thompson

Don't underestimate Cam Rising. Kid has all the tools. Thompson needs  more development but has a high upside.

Ro Jo might walk into Austin as the most talented QB on campus. But he will have much learning to do and we'll be able to afford a redshirt on him.

Well, I agree that there is a big question mark if either of those QB's can stay healthy for a full year.. but hopefully the OL takes a step forward and at least gives those guys a chance. I'm more worried about Ehlinger getting concussed with his running style than just getting hurt, he's a pretty stout dude. 

Remember, Rising is coming off an injury himself.. I remember reading a report that even now he's still not planting on his leg very well. 

As for the rankings, I'd rank all of em ahead of Shane in talent level but for the overall health of the program I hope that Sam and Shane do enough on the field and stay healthy enough to afford the newbies a redshirt year. It's been so long since we were afforded that luxury and hopefully we're getting to the point where we can actually allow these guys to develop and mature before just throwing em to the wolves. As good as even Vince was he didn't really blossom fully until halfway through his redshirt sophomore year, Colt didn't blossom really until his redshirt junior year. 

As for RJ, I'd be shocked that with the talent Herman will have around him by the time he's a redshirt sophomore if he isn't ready to take the college football world by storm which would be when Sam exhausts his eligibility. That's why I reasoned that if Sam cements himself as the starter that I could conceivably see the other guys never really making an impact if they're not able to supplant Sam. 

8 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

One of rising or Thompson will end of transferring. Both kids are ballers and won’t wanna sit the bench. Of course I’m wrong a lot but I can see this happening. I still think Sam is the guy for couple years, I mark it up to freshman mistakes. Even if I’m the only one. He has the will to win

Yeah, I'm with you bud.. I'm still a believer in Sam too. I think a serviceable OL and adequate running game will do him wonders and he'll take a huge step forward this year. I'm still sold on him being the guy moving forward. 

1 hour ago, CeddyB012 said:

Waiiiit.. am I the only one, what the hell is going on here?

I've heard people talk about Roschon Johnson and there seems to be campers on both sides.. some say he's got a chance, others say he's ok and talk about his bad 40 time and such.

Yo, his junior film is low key the best and most exciting highlight tape I've seen in a few years. I really don't think a QB jumped off the page like that to me since maybe Deshaun Watson's and all the way back to Vince Young at Madison and I've watched a tonnnnnn of film for QB's. WHY THE HELL IS THIS GUY NOT A TOP 5 QB IN THE COUNTRY?

No, seriously. I want a legit answer? Does he not go to camps or something, did he have a bad showing in a 7on7 setting.. like, I'm no pro scout but I know beasts when I see him and I legit can not tell based solely on his film why this man amongst boys isn't a 5 star recruit and hold an offer from every team in the country.

What the hell is going on? Oh you don't believe me? Give me one QB's HUDL from the 17 to 19 classes that looks more sick than this dudes: http://www.hudl.com/v/28Z3UR

Maybe I missed it but the only throw I didn't see him make was the opposite field, deep out.  Which I'm sure is just as accurate as the rest of his throws.  I'm excited about this kid.  What I'm excited most about is that he can redshirt.  And due to the new rs rule, he'll be able to see the field a bit without burning his shirt.  Setting him/us up for success!  HOOK 'EM!

11 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

Maybe I missed it but the only throw I didn't see him make was the opposite field, deep out.  Which I'm sure is just as accurate as the rest of his throws.  I'm excited about this kid.  What I'm excited most about is that he can redshirt.  And due to the new rs rule, he'll be able to see the field a bit without burning his shirt.  Setting him/us up for success!  HOOK 'EM!

Yeah, it's really exciting to finally be getting to the point where we can behave like healthy power 5 programs when it comes to QB development lol. The sky's the limit for RJ though he can do it all on the field.. with his arms and with his legs. Kid is special. 

13 minutes ago, DBut82 said:

Great point on new RS rule. You my friend are genius. 

11 minutes ago, Slimer said:

247's 3* is a complete joke.  Barton Simmons or whoever gave that rating needs his head examined.

Rumblings are when Gunnell decommits from aggy that Jimbo will go after Rojo.  It won't matter.

LOLOLOL. Please let this happen and let aggie get its feelings hurt again. I've heard the rumor that Gunnell will decommit wonder why people are feeling that way?

Just now, CeddyB012 said:

LOLOLOL. Please let this happen and let aggie get its feelings hurt again. I've heard the rumor that Gunnell will decommit wonder why people are feeling that way?

Believe he was a sumlin recruit. Doesn’t like the thought of Jimbo. What I been reading anyway.  Everything I see is that Texas was RJ dream school. Hell he is already recruiting for us. No way in hell he flips.  I don’t know why folks are worried about aggy, we win and it’ll be the same tune in 2019 as you saw with 2018 class. 

3 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Believe he was a sumlin recruit. Doesn’t like the thought of Jimbo. What I been reading anyway.  Everything I see is that Texas was RJ dream school. Hell he is already recruiting for us. No way in hell he flips.  I don’t know why folks are worried about aggy, we win and it’ll be the same tune in 2019 as you saw with 2018 class. 

IF we win though.. which is a big if with as many questions as we have on offense (including the coaching staff). There's reasons to believe we might not have a top 5 class this year though.. there were a lot of things in our favor with the 18 class.. Herman was the hot new coach who brought with him some sex appeal and familiarity from Houston.. there was a lot of talent in the Houston/E. Texas region which we do much better in than DFW where the talent seems to be located this year.. and aggie was firing their coach.

Now, if we win 9+ games I have no doubt we'll have a top 10 class again.. but don't be surprised if we don't just completely dominate the state like we just did. 

2 minutes ago, CeddyB012 said:

IF we win though.. which is a big if with as many questions as we have on offense (including the coaching staff). There's reasons to believe we might not have a top 5 class this year though.. there were a lot of things in our favor with the 18 class.. Herman was the hot new coach who brought with him some sex appeal and familiarity from Houston.. there was a lot of talent in the Houston/E. Texas region which we do much better in than DFW where the talent seems to be located this year.. and aggie was firing their coach.

Now, if we win 9+ games I have no doubt we'll have a top 10 class again.. but don't be surprised if we don't just completely dominate the state like we just did. 

See I disagree, if Texas is going to have a good year and work there way back it’s this year. With the conference being down anything less than 9 wins is a disappointment. Showed our defense can make it without the NFL talent that left in the bowl game. And the offense can’t get any worse. Line will be better simply because experience. Staying healthy hopefully but if not we have depth finally. Hell think about it, at our worst on offense we lost how many games coming down to the wire? On a season where the big 12 was stacked. This is long winded but unless we just lay a lot of eggs I don’t see Texas losing much. I know we have to prove it but the talent and coaching is there. Finally. 

26 minutes ago, Slimer said:

Rumblings are when Gunnell decommits from aggy that Jimbo will go after Rojo.  It won't matter.

I like you Slimer. Thats why I hope you don't take this personally. Not speaking directly to you.

"Rumblings?" Really? Like what? Chatter from aggy mods who suffer credibility lost syndrome?

That statement was equally important as when Jimbo will take his next dump. It leaves you with a bag full of who gives a shit.

There is a disturbing thought process going on that seems to think Jimbo's expelled air is laced in gold. I don't get it. He looks and talks more like a used car salesman than used car salesmen do. FSU was glad to see him go, had all the Jimbo they could stand.

For now, Jimbo is a pimple on my ass. I can ignore it for a while and it will go away. I don't fear the jimbo. IMO, Sumlin was a more formidable foe as a recruiter.

38 minutes ago, CeddyB012 said:

But you see Ceddy you have to take in consideration of two points I'm about to make.. First off what Herman had to deal with this past season was more about injury plagued, attitude issues, and mostly guys that were not buying into Herman's system.  The talent is there now. There's a display of asswhippin that's gonna take place.  This is why the 18 recruiting class was very important to fill the needs that needed to be dealt with in a serious matter. 

39 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

See I disagree, if Texas is going to have a good year and work there way back it’s this year. With the conference being down anything less than 9 wins is a disappointment. Showed our defense can make it without the NFL talent that left in the bowl game. And the offense can’t get any worse. Line will be better simply because experience. Staying healthy hopefully but if not we have depth finally. Hell think about it, at our worst on offense we lost how many games coming down to the wire? On a season where the big 12 was stacked. This is long winded but unless we just lay a lot of eggs I don’t see Texas losing much. I know we have to prove it but the talent and coaching is there. Finally. 

Damn you beat me to it lol

48 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

The worry with Johnson is that he is getting comps to Jerrod Heard. I don’t agree and believe he’s very underanked by the services. On top of that his fit for Herman’s system is undeniable. 

I can see how people think that. They both have a very similar skill set and frame. However, I think RJ is more advanced as a passer. I’ve seen RJ film and I’ve watched him look off DBs to open up passing lanes. I think he has a better understanding of defenses compared to Heard. My one knock on RJ is the arm talent. His deep ball seems to float a bit and he doesn’t really zip the ball on a line, especially on the sideline throws. The ball just doesn’t seem to jump out of his hand to me on a lot of his throws. But I think as he gets on a meal and weight program in college, this is something he can improve.