Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Jameson McCausland

Andrew Jones diagnosed with Leukemia

Just a short while ago, Texas announced that Sophomore guard Andrew Jones has been diagnosed with Leukemia and has begun treatment. Andrew is not only a great basketball player, but a great person and someone who exemplifies what it truly means to be a Longhorn.  I know that Andrew will be in the thoughts and prayers of the entire HornSports staff and community. 

Per UT

Statement from the family of  University of Texas sophomore G Andrew Jones:

"After undergoing a number of tests & evaluations over the past week, Andrew has been diagnosed with leukemia. He has begun treatments, and we hope everyone will keep him in your thoughts & prayers. This is obviously a difficult situation for our family, and we hope everyone will respect our privacy at this time."

Statement from Texas Men's Head Basketball Coach Shaka Smart

"Speaking for our entire team & staff, we love Andrew & will do everything we can to support his family and help him get back to health. I want to thank everyone for being respectful of the privacy that the Jones family needs at this time."

Statement from University of Texas Vice President/Director of Athletics Chris Del Conte

"We know Andrew's a fighter with a strong family & our thoughts, prayers and support are fully behind them. At The University of Texas, we will do everything in our power to provide all of the resources we can to assist Andrew and his family."

Puts life in perspective. I've a daughter in college, 1400 miles from home (Durham, NC) and while she worries only about grades, I worry about safety and wellness. Thoughts and prayers to Andrew, his family and those dearest to him.

As many of you know, I was dx’d with breast cancer in late July 2015. The worst moment is hearing the words:  you have cancer. 

Then there are tests and uncertainty, which if very stressful. After that, in my experience, everything begins to improve. 

Of course, some days are better than others, but you are busy with treatment and getting healthy again. I believe that an athlete (or former athlete, in my case), handles the rigors of treatment better than most, due to the training they have had. 

Athletes learn to push through fatigue and cope with stress, positively. I think Andrew will do fine. He will have the support of his family, his team, and The University community. 

If you have never read Toughness Training for Life or Toughness Training for Sports, by James Loehr, I highly recommend both of them.  Both books use the same principles, and a former Olympian told me that their team psychologist used many of the principles in the book for sports. 

Hook ‘em, Andrew. Stay as strong as we know you are. It may not seem like it now, but you will come out of this an even stronger person than you are now. 

All of the best wishes for a smooth recovery. I will keep you in my prayers. 

I couldnt help but think about andrew last night. My son will be one years old tomorrow and cant imagine being told he has cancer. I am a full believer that a positive outlook can have a desired effect. I am hoping and believe he will get through this. Hookem