Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Carrara

*****Texas vs. Baylor Basketball Thread*****

Texas (10-4, 1-1) at Baylor (10-4, 0-2)

When: Saturday, January 6th
Time: 1:00 PM CST
Venue:  Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV:  ESPNU

Last meeting: Baylor 75-64 (March 4, 2017; Austin).
All-Time Series Record:  Texas leads, 162-88.

The Texas Longhorns are back on the court in Big 12 play on Saturday as they face the Baylor Bears on the road.  The Longhorns defeated the Cyclones 74-70 in Ames on New Years Day, improving to .500 in conference play.  Texas freshman forward Mo Bamba continues to improve his game, averaging 16.3 ppg, 14.0 rpg and 6.0 bpg over the last three contests. 

In the win over Iowa State, Tulane transfer Dylan Osetkowski set a career high in scoring with 25 points, including the game winning 3-pointer in overtime. Osetkowski leads the team in scoring, averaging 15.5 points per game.

Texas is 3-0 in true road games this season, defeating VCU, Alabama and Iowa State.  The Longhorns weere 0-11 in true road contests last season.

Baylor looks to pick up their first Big 12 win today after falling to ranked Texas Tech and TCU teams, respectively.   The other two losses on the season for the BEars came at the hands of a ranked Xavier team and a Wichita State team that was ranked 8th at the time.

Senior guard Manu Lecomte leads the Bears in scoring, with 16.8 ppg and 7'0 senior forward Jo Lual-Acuil Jr. averages 16.1 ppg and 10.1 rpg. 

22 minutes ago, Adferrum said:

Febres with 15 pts so far, he is really looking well, shooting 6-7 from the field. Texas up 37-31 with 3.20 left in the first

Smart had Febres on his show this week talking about his shooting ability. I think Febres just needed some confidence and it appears he has it.

Just now, tejasrulz said:

Smart had Febres on his show this week talking about his shooting ability. I think Febres just needed some confidence and it appears he has it.

Guess he should talk about efficient passing and not turning it over every other possession on his next show 

3 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

Gotta say Smart hasn't got control of this team in the second half.  He needs to coach these guys up and direct this team.  No offensive plan as far as I could see in the second half.  Disappointing game.

I don’t believe smart is the guy.... okieradio talking bout big 12 b ball and how stout it is then said “I would have thought smart would have done better at Texas, great recruiter but can’t get it done coaching...another guy chimes in... Texas has that problem in both there big university sports... not the stereotype I want.

Just now, okiehorn said:

I don’t believe smart is the guy.... okieradio talking bout big 12 b ball and how stout it is then said “I would have thought smart would have done better at Texas, great recruiter but can’t get it done coaching...another guy chimes in... Texas has that problem in both there big university sports... not the stereotype I want.

Surely they are referring to Strong with the other "big sport" reference?  Herman is changing things in football....starting next season:D

4 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

Did okie radio also comment on what a dbag Baker is?  Or about him crying?:lol:

Just now, MikeV73 said:

Did okie radio also comment on what a dbag Baker is?  Or about him crying?:lol:

Haha yea right, “he wasn’t given the chance to run his offense” all they were saying. But they sure should have!! 

As far as I'm concerned Shaka is already on the hot seat. There doesn't seem to be an offensive identity with this team. They're always passing the ball around the perimeter waiting for an open three or an open big man. I don't see much driving towards the basket. You also don't see Osetkowski and Bamba around the basket at the same time. Seems it's one or the other.

1 hour ago, okiehorn said:

The first guy has a point. I more or less expected more out of Shaka than I've seen.

The "another guy chimes in" is an idiot.

On 1/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, Baron said:

As far as I'm concerned Shaka is already on the hot seat. There doesn't seem to be an offensive identity with this team. They're always passing the ball around the perimeter waiting for an open three or an open big man. I don't see much driving towards the basket. You also don't see Osetkowski and Bamba around the basket at the same time. Seems it's one or the other.

This may sound ridiculous; but I’d say this is the worst shape Texas basketball has been in since right after Abe Lemmons was fired and we were playing a male cheerleader.  

We are coming off a last place finish in the Big 12 (let that sink in for a moment) and I cannot fathom how Texas can possibly go .500 in conference play this year.  I believe there is more apathy now than I have ever seen... crowds at the game are embarrassing!  

I can’t believe I am saying this, but I’d put the over / under line at 1 year for Shaka’s time here after this season.  

The problem??  I think it boils down to recruiting philosophy.  He recruits to win games the way games were played in the 80s.  Nowadays, shooters beat athletes, and Texas recruits athletes.  You can go watch middle school basketball these days and see that the game has become about shooting the three over everything else.  That needs to be prioritized in recruiting (if it’s not too late).  

I’d love to hear a case made that I’m wrong and next year’s team will compete with Kansas for a Big 12 championship and make a deep run in the tournament.  Can that be done?  When we hired Coach Smart, I thought that would be a given by year 4.