News Ticker
  • Texas vs Iowa State kickoff will take place on Saturday, November 17th @ 7:00 PM at DKR-TMS in Austin
  • Texas Football schedules Georgia for home and home series in 2028 and 2029
  • Texas Football ranked 13th in AP Poll and 14th in Coaches Poll
Sign in to follow this  
J.B. TexasEx

Way-Too-Early CFB Top 25 for 2018

Athlon Sports has the Longhorns ranked #18 in their way-too-early preseason poll.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/early-college-football-top-25-2018

18. Texas

After Oklahoma, the Big 12 appears to be wide open in the middle of the league. Will the Longhorns emerge as the biggest threat to the Sooners? Or is this team another year away? Coach Tom Herman reeled in a standout class on the early signing period, so help is on the way for a team losing five key players to the NFL Draft. Linebacker Malik Jefferson, punter Michael Dickson, safety DeShon Elliott, cornerback Holton Hill and tackle Connor Williams leave big shoes to fill next fall. While the Longhorns averaged only 5.2 yards a play in 2017, the offense should improve next fall. Herman’s team returns two quarterbacks with starting experience (Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger), running back Daniel Young and the team’s top three receiving targets. Finding a replacement for Williams at left tackle and generating overall better play from the line that gave up 34 sacks has to be a priority this offseason. Coordinator Todd Orlando is one of the best defensive minds in college football and should keep the defense playing at a high level despite some key players moving onto the NFL. The schedule also is manageable for Herman’s team. The Longhorns open the year with a neutral-site game against Maryland and have road trips to Kansas State and Oklahoma State on tap. However, USC, TCU, West Virginia and Iowa State all visit Austin next year. 

1 hour ago, DBut82 said:

If we can at least get average to above average OL play, there's no reason we can win 10 games and legitimately challenge for the the Big 12 championship...

Yup HoeU falls quite a bit without mayfield. Murray is no mayfield. And there Defense absolutely sucks. (Rewatch Georgia) This is a golden chance for Herman. We were close this year to many times, now teach em to finish. 

23 hours ago, DBut82 said:

If we can at least get average to above average OL play, there's no reason we can win 10 games and legitimately challenge for the the Big 12 championship...

I agree with you on the OL, however neither QB has shown that they are proven QBs going into 2018.

I don't believe we can count on Shane to play without getting hurt and he doesn't have good pocket awareness. I did read that Herman loves Sam, but I have doubts about our OC to improve him.

We have ZERO reason being ranked at this point.

On 1/5/2018 at 9:49 AM, DBut82 said:

We could but until we see above average OL play, projecting more than 8-9 wins is a bit of a fool's errand.

I'm thinking 8-9 regular season and we're a year away from real title contention.  

On 1/6/2018 at 10:11 AM, echeese said:

We have ZERO reason being ranked at this point.

No argument from me.

Historically, we're over ranked nearly every year because the media and TV love us. Our recruits oftentimes get an additional star, too. It's long past time to start playing up to the hype.

10 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

No argument from me.

Historically, we're over ranked nearly every year because the media and TV love us. Our recruits oftentimes get an additional star, too. It's long past time to start playing up to the hype.

You sonntofabitch. Thats blasphemy. I gotta go take a shower now.