Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Aaron Carrara

*****Texas vs. Missouri Game Thread*****

texflgmc17usatsi.jpg

First year Texas head coach Tom Herman has taken his team to their first bowl appearance since 2014 as they will face the Missouri Tigers in the Academy Sports and Outdoors Texas Bowl on Wednesday night.  Texas has won 15 of the last 17 meetings between the two schools, but the Missouri Tigers have reeled off six straight wins to finish the regular season with a winning record.

The Longhorns are dealing with suspensions to key players, injuries and NFL Draft-related attrition. Missouri’s high-powered offensive attack led by junior quarterback Drew Lock will challenge the Texas secondary.

A bowl win for Texas would end the season on a high note and give the program some momentum headed into National Signing Day in February and Spring football.  A loss to the Tigers would deal the Longhorns a losing record, leaving fans wondering if the ship will be righted anytime soon.

Texas Longhorns (6-6, 5-4) vs. Missouri Tigers (7-5, 4-4)

What: Academy Sports and Outdoors Texas Bowl
When: Wednesday, December 27, 2017
Time: 8:00 PM CST
Venue: NRG Stadium
TV: ESPN

All-time series record: Texas leads Missouri 17-6
Last Meeting: Missouri defeated Texas 17-5 (November 12, 2011 – Columbia, MO)

Relevant Articles:

Get to Know the Missouri Tiger Offense

Get to Know the Missouri Tiger Defense/ Special Teams

Staff Predictions: Texas vs. Missouri

Texas Bowl Depth Chart – Texas Longhorns vs. Missouri Tigers

I think we all have a bad feeling about this but I'd love nothing more than winning record this year and some momentum into the offseason. Nothing would make me happier than to see some Herman kisses so we can put to bed the "he doesn't care about players" stories.

31-28 Longhorns because why the hell not?

After losing to No. 4 Georgia in Athens on October 14, the Tigers rattled off six straight wins. Two came against out-of-conference foes (including one that is dropping to FCS next season), one was against a last place finisher in its division (Arkansas), and three more came against SEC East teams that combined to go 4-20.

And prior to the Georgia game, they played a 3 game stretch of games at home against South Carolina (13), Purdue (3), and Auburn (14) in which they scored a total of 30 points. The flip side of that is that only one team scored more points (28) against Georgia than Missouri did even though they only managed 10 first downs in that game. 

In other words, there is a lot of stat padding against a lot of less than stellar teams.  

31-28 Texas, Orlando's scheme trumps players lost and has actually made several look better than expected.  Offense plays fast, getting the ball out of Shanes hand in a hurry.  But, I still think they need something special on defense or with ST to get to 30.

I have no faith in  Horns win and expect it to get ugly. No OL, injuries, previous head coaching staff recruiting lapses,  and the quiters who have abandoned this team and staff make this game a mountain to climb. Nothing would make me happier than a win, but I am a realist. TH is righting the ship, but it isn't there yet.

10 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

I have no faith in  Horns win and expect it to get ugly. No OL, injuries, previous head coaching staff recruiting lapses,  and the quiters who have abandoned this team and staff make this game a mountain to climb. Nothing would make me happier than a win, but I am a realist. TH is righting the ship, but it isn't there yet.

So you're saying there's still a chance :lol:

10 minutes ago, prosfromdover said:

Clearly my attempt of an attitude adjustment was not successful. Oh for the days we weren't convinced we'd be mudstomped by Missouri.

See my post above. I am not convinced at all that we will be mudstomped by Missouri. Check their game by game stats and you will see that, against teams with a pulse, their offense was only marginally better than our offense. 

TBH, I've been nervous leading up to this game.  But now that it's here, I think our boys will put on a show.  A team is not "expected" to win usually carries a chip.  And I think this squad is shouldering quite a large one.  Texas 24 Mizzou 13

47 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

See my post above. I am not convinced at all that we will be mudstomped by Missouri. Check their game by game stats and you will see that, against teams with a pulse, their offense was only marginally better than our offense. 

I know just exaggerating for effect. :) No fun watching a game you're waiting to lose.

Missouri played 2 ranked teams all season and got blown out in each of those games.

They’ve given up 35+ in exactly half of their games this season, including 40 to Kentucky, 35 to Purdue and 43 to Missouri State.

Their best win all season was against Vanderbilt, who won 5 games. They gave up 45 to Arkansas and won by 3 in the last game they played.

Just now, North Texas Golfer said:

Missouri played 2 ranked teams all season and got blown out in each of those games.

They’ve given up 35+ in exactly half of their games this season, including 40 to Kentucky, 35 to Purdue and 43 to Missouri State.

Their best win all season was against Vanderbilt, who won 5 games. They gave up 45 to Arkansas and won by 3 in the last game they played.

Your making me feel better and better for this evening!! Hook em! I’m saying Gary Johnson steps up HUGE and has atleast 1 force fumble. Kids gonna be a legend.