Sign in to follow this  
Jameson McCausland

Texas 47, Tennessee State 46: Coleman’s floater helps Texas avoid upset

shaka.jpg

Tennessee State gave Texas all they could handle on Monday night, but the Longhorns ultimately prevailed. Matt Coleman hit the game-winning floater with 10 seconds left to help the Longhorns avoid what would have been a terrible loss. Dylan Osetkowski led the Longhorns with 16 points and 7 rebounds.

Texas struggled mightily shooting the ball the entire night, combining to go 18-51 (35.3%) from the field and 3-21 (14.3%) from 3. Despite his game-winning shot, Coleman had another tough game filled with turnovers and an inability to get the offense in a flow. Mo Bamba finished the game 4 points and was a non-factor for much of the night.

Tennessee State looked like the better team for much of the night. The Tigers got a huge game from Christian Mekowulu (15 points and 11 rebounds) and found success running a 2-3 zone defense. Tennessee State went on an 8-0 run to take a 46-45 lead into the closing seconds, but it was not enough. Following Coleman’s floater, the Tigers took an ill-advised deep 3 with time remaining on the clock.

Playing without Eric Davis Jr. for the second straight game, Shaka Smart was forced to go with a 7 man rotation. Freshman Jericho Simms and Jace Febres were the only Longhorns coming off the bench, with Simms playing extended minutes in the second half.

The Longhorns will have a lot to clean up as they prepare for their final non-conference game of the season against Alabama on Friday. That matchup will take place in Birmingham on Friday at 8PM CST on ESPN2.

Advertise on HornSports

No way to polish this turd, it was ugly. MoBamba got flat out played by #21 of Tenn St, easliy this was his worst game of the year. Our guards couldn't shoot, our bigs (even Dylan) missed some easy put-backs or close range shots. Did I saw it was ugly? It was ugly but at least it was a win.

Be that said, Simms played what may have his best game of the year. His defense on the press led to at least 8 points off turn overs. Game ball (scarred from all the bricks) goes to Mr Simms.

The announcer working with Lowell Galindo was terrible. Hope he never does another Horns game.

Random thoughts after watching paint dry in the form of a basketball game last night:

• This is year 3 of the Shaka regime and I'm trying to figure out how we can possibly go .500 in the Big 12. 
  • Year 2 treated us to a dead last finish in the Big 12.
  • Certainly the above two bullet points as well as an arena approximately 70% empty and completely apathetic has caught the attention of our new and ambitious AD.
  • I will state this case one more time.... Shaka recruits like a bandit, but he'd better change his strategy and begin recruiting kids who can shoot the ball!  Forget about the vertical jump; forget about any other athletic measurement and sign kids who can hit threes and dare I say free throws?  By the way, you could say the exact same for Rick Barnes.  Do this before it is too late (the hour glass has been turned I'm afraid). 

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

We can't shoot the ball. Shaka should dedicate two hours a day to just shooting for a week or so.

I think you are right: 

"combining to go 18-51 (35.3%) from the field and 3-21 (14.3%) from 3" 

When we shoot free throws I actually feel greedy hoping like crazy for 1 out of 2. 

1 hour ago, 83Dee said:

Random thoughts after watching paint dry in the form of a basketball game last night:

• This is year 3 of the Shaka regime and I'm trying to figure out how we can possibly go .500 in the Big 12. 
  • Certainly the above two bullet points as well as an arena approximately 70% empty and completely apathetic has caught the attention of our new and ambitious AD.
  • I will state this case one more time.... Shaka recruits like a bandit, but he'd better change his strategy and begin recruiting kids who can shoot the ball!  Forget about the vertical jump; forget about any other athletic measurement and sign kids who can hit threes and dare I say free throws?  By the way, you could say the exact same for Rick Barnes.  Do this before it is too late (the hour glass has been turned I'm afraid). 

This team is definitely difficult to watch. I turned it off 10 mins. in.

My wife has a sleep disorder and restless leg syndrome ... so, even during exciting games, I usually have to wake her up two or  three times to keep her from sleep walking over the edge from our first row seats upstairs  ... this game, I just let her snooze.  I think I even snoozed a few times ... I swear I think I was whistled for abrasive snoring a couple of times in the second half ... or ... maybe that was just a bad dream !!!  ; )

By the way, the half time and time out entertainment has hit an all time exciting (SARCASM MODE ENGAGED !!!) level.  If you were not there, you will not believe this ... they actually had a ZUMBA class dance routine at half time ... those folks sure looked like THEY were having a good time.  Can't say that they do not try new concepts, though ... they had two guys at either end of the court with 30 seconds, I think, to make as many shots as possible.  They were tied together by an elastic cord so they could affect how the other guy shot ... they even made them wear hard hats in case they took a fall.  in spite of referees and players stumbling over the elastic cord, both contestants shot a better percentage than the Longhorns did last night.

F F Folks ... this exciting update of last night's action has been brought to you by ZUMBA !!!  It does a body good !!!   ; )

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Your last point is the most important. Shaka loves him some athletes, but that is the reason why Texas will never be a great shooting team from deep and from the free throw line. These athletes are coming to Austin without a great feel for shooting, and that’s not something that is fixed overnight or even in a year. They probably need to do a better job of balancing recruiting classes with a guy who may not be as gifted athletically, but can shoot the heck out of the ball.

Watch the offense and go back the last 3 years and watch.  There is ZERO movement off the ball.  They swing the ball around the 3 and NOBODY cuts or switches.  Terrible shooting aside, no movement means we have to settle for shot creation or jump shots.

Also, its obvious we cannot shoot but Shaka allows them to shoot 20-30 3's?  When up big, we stop going down low to Dylan O?

I'm done with Shaka.  Another Steve Patterson screw-up.  

I wish Del Conte could steal the TCU coach.

I hated last night's game as much as anybody.  This team is a work in progress.  You gotta remember that our top scorer and arguably our best guard, Andrew Jones, was out along with another very important part of the back court rotation, Eric Davis.  This team is still very young.  They are down to a seven player rotation. Obviously, last night's game was an embarrassment for the Horns.  If it does not wake them up, nothing will.  These guys have high expectations for themselves, as a team and as individuals.  They will respond ... injuries allowing.  Also, Shaka will be here the rest of this year, next year and probably the year after.  I look forward to seeing Shaka continue to build what will become a strong program ... the possibilities are exciting ... our crappy fans, on the other hand ... well ... much to my chagrin, I am afraid that we are stuck with them.