Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sirhornsalot

Friday Night Lights – State Semi Finals

I know (pup) Kevin smith and lil ole Earl Thomas are happy for their Mustangs too!!!! Earl will rent about 5 charter buses like he does every year for the fans to travel. That silver and blue will be in full force Friday at at&t stadium watching our Mustangs play. 

1 hour ago, Tomhermansboy said:

I know (pup) Kevin smith and lil ole Earl Thomas are happy for their Mustangs too!!!! Earl will rent about 5 charter buses like he does every year for the fans to travel. That silver and blue will be in full force Friday at at&t stadium watching our Mustangs play. 

All best!!!

Newton is 58 miles from West Orange. I grew up driving down 87, crossing over into LA to a string of night clubs with live music. I'll find out by tomorrow what other "Golden Triangle" teams will be represented at Jerry World.

Newton will be aiming for their 4th state title. Lost to Arp last year in semi's or would have faced Gunter a year ago. Now they do. Will be the toughest game of the year.

Newton is loaded as always. That game is going to be a hell of a game. So far, it looks like the best overall matchups in the history of championship weekend. Several dream matchups. Can't wait. We are all pulling for newton too. They are a state powerhouse too. No doubt about it. Very proud of them. Point blank.......Newton is loaded this year. Go eagles!!!!

11 hours ago, Tomhermansboy said:

Newton is loaded as always. That game is going to be a hell of a game. So far, it looks like the best overall matchups in the history of championship weekend. Several dream matchups. Can't wait. We are all pulling for newton too. They are a state powerhouse too. No doubt about it. Very proud of them. Point blank.......Newton is loaded this year. Go eagles!!!!

Thanks for the props! My sister taught there til she retired, still lives there and gives me all the inside scoop. All the titles came after we graduated, but it still counts. :) NFL Steeler Ernie Holmes was from Newton, as was Johnny Walker who played at UT quite a while back. Golden Triangle has a lot of history. At one time more NFL players were from Beaumont (my birthplace) than from any other city in the country. Bum Phillips from Orange. Jimmy Johnson from Pt. Arthur. Steve Wooster, Bridge City (Newton played and beat BC this year). Newton started a trend of playing one class up quite a while back. Believe they beat three 4A teams this year in preseason.

I've set my DVR to tape your WO game at 3pm Fri. Go Mustangs!! Funny, I just looked up the particulars on the game, and Coach Thompson lives on Newton St in Orange!!

Some kind of stars are aligned! Newton plays Thur night and WO the following afternoon. Bring home the Trophies!!!

Of course it still counts. Home is home. Well....coach T actually has a ranch off of hwy 62 now. The high school is on newton street. Johnny walker was a great player at Texas as was Steve. Steve basically grew up at my grandparents house. My uncle was the qb at west orange and Steve was best friends with him. Even though they were rivals. My mom dated coach T in high school. My dad and coach T played baseball and football together. I coached coach T son Michael in baseball. We are all one big family here. There isn't a doubt in my mind that wos and newton will BOTH win next week. 

Newton is and has been a state power. Remarkable what both have accomplished recently. I can say this with all honesty........newton may have the best backfield pound for pound in the state. Can't wait to watch them on that stage Thursday. A lot of people will see what we already know. Them boys are really really really good. Go eagles/Stangs!!!!! 

We are going to practice at kennedale. Stay up there Thursday night. Kennedale coach and coach T have became close since we started the mid season game with them two years ago. They are 14-1 their only loss was to us in overtime 23-20. This is the third time in four years he has invited our team to use their facilities. Considering they are in the D1 championship game is awesome of him yet again. Two years ago the championship game was here in Houston so of course we didn't have to travel. Kennedale is a class act and great program for sure. I'm pulling for them newton and of course us. Lol. Hope all 3 win!

52 minutes ago, Tomhermansboy said:

I was born at Saint Elizabeth in beaumont. 

Me, too!!! Mother was driven down from Kountze the night before, in a Blue Norther. Kountze is hometown her side of the family. Talk about memories... Serious E. Texas when you talk about Hardin County!!

On 12/15/2017 at 11:23 PM, Tomhermansboy said:

A PG vs Wos will definetly favor us. We have seen the wing T slot T offense at least 25 times during the current 40 game win streak. I'm not taking anything from PG but I can assure you without seeing them that they are not as big/fast as kennedale. We held them to season lows in every category. Nevertheless, we can't wait to get back to Dallas. 40 wins in a row. 4th straight state semi final win. 4th straight trip to championship game. Trying for our 3rd title game win in a row. Mighty Mustangs go fight win!!!!!!!

It will be a heckuva game, either way. PG has that destiny thing working for it, so watch out for that. I wouldn't get caught up so much in the weights and times of PG. Sometimes, they're just good.

Best of luck to both teams!

By no means am I trying to disrespect PG. I'm not. They are good or they wouldn't be playing us at 3pm Friday in Dallas.  However, after watching a lot of video the last two days.......Destiny will NOT help them Friday. Simply put, ask kennedale (last two years), Madisonville (this year), Salado (this year), cuero (two years ago), Celina (two years ago), Navarro (last year), Sweetwater (last year), and last but not least wimberly this past Friday. All of these teams were averaging 40-50 points per game and 500 yards a game prior to playing us. They were all dominated by us. Shutout or held below 21. Other than madisonville. They scored 26 (best team we have played in two years). Other than this years kennedale team (they are LOADED). We are 25-0 against wing T offenses the last 3 years during our current 40 game win streak. Make it 41. Wos 35 PG 14. Loooooong day for that PG offense. Speed speed and more speed. Im giving them 14.......we haven't allowed more than 6 points in the last two title games. If people enjoy watching real defense be sure to tune in Friday at 3pm. You will Definetly see why we are called the "chain gang." Coach T is the best coach in high school football. Once he coaches his 500th game his winning percentage will be the highest in Texas high school football history. I can go on and on and on as to why we are the elite program in the state. Simply put DEFENSE. It wins championships and we hold the blue print. As coach T always says, "you can't win the Kentucky derby with a mule!" Our players are typically better than yours too. 

13 hours ago, MikeV73 said:

Lake Travis beats Katy, Westlake defeated, Allen beats Round Rock Cedar Ridge.  I'm from the Austin area, updating for the local teams.

Thanks. My LT friends are happy I'm sure. I would have liked to see Cedar Ridge win, have friends whose kids go there.

8 hours ago, Tomhermansboy said:

By no means am I trying to disrespect PG. I'm not. They are good or they wouldn't be playing us at 3pm Friday in Dallas.  However, after watching a lot of video the last two days.......Destiny will NOT help them Friday. Simply put, ask kennedale (last two years), Madisonville (this year), Salado (this year), cuero (two years ago), Celina (two years ago), Navarro (last year), Sweetwater (last year), and last but not least wimberly this past Friday. All of these teams were averaging 40-50 points per game and 500 yards a game prior to playing us. They were all dominated by us. Shutout or held below 21. Other than madisonville. They scored 26 (best team we have played in two years). Other than this years kennedale team (they are LOADED). We are 25-0 against wing T offenses the last 3 years during our current 40 game win streak. Make it 41. Wos 35 PG 14. Loooooong day for that PG offense. Speed speed and more speed. Im giving them 14.......we haven't allowed more than 6 points in the last two title games. If people enjoy watching real defense be sure to tune in Friday at 3pm. You will Definetly see why we are called the "chain gang." Coach T is the best coach in high school football. Once he coaches his 500th game his winning percentage will be the highest in Texas high school football history. I can go on and on and on as to why we are the elite program in the state. Simply put DEFENSE. It wins championships and we hold the blue print. As coach T always says, "you can't win the Kentucky derby with a mule!" Our players are typically better than yours too. 

My friend, its quite obvious this means so much more to you than it ever will to me. I have no dog in this fight and if I did, I don't think I would take it as seriously as you are.

I'm currently writing a book on a program that, believe it or not, has been more successful than either WOS or Newton and could certainly teach both a thing or two about defense. They did things WOS and Newton can only dream of. I lived there and witnessed people there who thought just like you and had the statistical and logical ammo to back themselves up. . . And none of that mattered when the tower came falling down. 

39 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Gilmer? All said aboutWOS could apply to PG. should be a great game.

No, Daingerfield. Still holds the national record for shutouts in a year (14) and 0 points allowed to teams in the same classification in a state championship run, 16 game season.

17 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I wouldn't get caught up so much in the weights and times of PG. Sometimes, they're just good.

Best of luck to both teams!

PG is not going to be the fastest team.  They have beat teams that were overall faster than them.....AR High, LE, and Atlanta are a few. However, they have bought in to the system and play as a team really well. They do not make a lot of mistakes.  The key to their success is their line play. They have dominated both sides of the line throughout the season.  In addition, they are a Senior lead team with several kids getting the chance to play at the next level. The only D1 football recruit is Xavier Benson. He has committed to Texas Tech as a LB.  WR Carson Cox has committed to play baseball at Wichita State. The other 5 to 6 players have been offered by several D2 schools.  The best lineman is #77 Nick Gavriel. His Hudl highlights are worth checking out. If he was 3 to 4 inches taller, he would be getting visits from D1 schools. 

One name to watch over the next upcoming seasons is #40 DE Landon Jackson. He is a 6'6" Freshman and has started at DE all season. He leads the team in sacks and has a high motor. He possibly could outgrow football because his Dad is 6'10" and has played some pro basketball in Europe .  The kid is a great athlete.

Interesting note:  If PG wins Friday, then the three Texarkana, Texas high schools (Liberty Eylau and Texas High) would have each won a state championship in football and baseball. In addition, Texarkana AR High has also won a state championship in football and baseball as well. There are not very many places with a population of less than 70,000, that can make that claim. 

On 12/17/2017 at 4:40 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

My friend, its quite obvious this means so much more to you than it ever will to me. I have no dog in this fight and if I did, I don't think I would take it as seriously as you are.

I'm currently writing a book on a program that, believe it or not, has been more successful than either WOS or Newton and could certainly teach both a thing or two about defense. They did things WOS and Newton can only dream of. I lived there and witnessed people there who thought just like you and had the statistical and logical ammo to back themselves up. . . And none of that mattered when the tower came falling down. 

Im sure your book will be awesome.  Regardless of who you are writing your book on it is a moot point. You my friend are wrong on one front for sure. Again, once coach T coaches his 500th game as the head coach at WOS he will be the winningest coach in Texas high school football history according to DCTF and several other sources. This year will be his 4th straight as a head coach and 8th overall as a head coach/DC. Yes, football is life here. We pride ourselves in defense. Hence the #1 defense in 4a D2 yet again. I wasn't talking to you directly. Still not really sure how this site works (nor do I care). I was talking to another member originally from Newton that messaged me. Good luck on your book. I'm sure its about a bunch of millionaires with 70 million dollar stadiums that recruits better than any high school in the state. Our weight room is the same today as it was in 1985. However, so is our poor little team from poor little ole orange county. Exactly the same........DOMINATE!!!!! PS....Only Aledo and WOS are the only two teams in Texas high school football history to play in back to back to back (3 consecutive or more) championship games in two different decades. 

9 minutes ago, Tomhermansboy said:

Im sure your book will be awesome.  Regardless of who you are writing your book on it is a moot point. You my friend are wrong on one front for sure. Again, once coach T coaches his 500th game as the head coach at WOS he will be the winningest coach in Texas high school football history according to DCTF and several other sources. This year will be his 4th straight as a head coach and 8th overall as a head coach/DC. Yes, football is life here. We pride ourselves in defense. Hence the #1 defense in 4a D2 yet again. I wasn't talking to you directly. Still not really sure how this site works (nor do I care). I was talking to another member originally from Newton that messaged me. Good luck on your book. I'm sure its about a bunch of millionaires with 70 million dollar stadiums that recruits better than any high school in the state. Our weight room is the same today as it was in 1985. However, so is our poor little team from poor little ole orange county. Exactly the same........DOMINATE!!!!! PS....Only Aledo and WOS are the only two teams in Texas high school football history to play in back to back to back (3 consecutive or more) championship games in two different decades. 

THboy, you're in Texas. Look around. There are a thousand communities in this state that can say "football is life here."

No, we do not know who will win the state championship game. And no matter how long your coach lasts, that issue will have nothing to do with who wins this game. None.

The program I am writing about is even worse off, financially, than either of the ones you're cheerleading and is located in a county even worse off than Orange County. What they did defensively had never been done before and will never be done again – ever. Unemployment there since 1982 has only gone down from 27% because lots of folks gave up on the steel plant they depended on to start back up again, and simply moved away.

They are a high school program which is not allowed to recruit anyone. Lets hope thats not what you're accustomed to down there in Orange County.

We can have a rational conversation where we're not having to spend time clearing up emotionally-driven assumptions to support a desired conclusion.

Most of this post was spent dispelling your assumptions.

I don't know who will win this game but I take pleasure in knowing it will be a good one that I will enjoy watching.

27 minutes ago, Tomhermansboy said:

Again, once coach T coaches his 500th game as the head coach at WOS he will be the winningest coach in Texas high school football history according to DCTF and several other sources. This year will be his 4th straight as a head coach and 8th overall as a head coach/DC. 

https://www.texasfootball.com/txhsfb-303-successful-texas-high-school-football-coaches/

See above link for a list of winningest, active coaches. It does not say what you say it says. Not even close. In fact, WOS's coach only appears at the bottom of one list.

The source is DCTF, which you said supported what you were saying.

Coach 2016 School Overall Record Win%
Phil Danaher CC Calallen (5A) 432-108-4 0.798
Randy Allen Highland Park (5A) 361-86-6 0.804
Tom Nolen Houston Lamar (6A) 355-96-7 0.783
Pat Henke Hallettsville Sacred Heart (Private) 295-140-1 0.678
Mike Hedrick Franklin (3A) 281-153-11 0.644
Denney Faith Albany (2A) 277-94-4 0.744
Hugh Sandifer Abilene Wylie (4A) 277-105-4 0.723
Weldon Nelms Weatherford (6A) 248-140-3 0.638
Larry Hill Smithson Valley (6A) 247-78-0 0.760
Reginald Samples Duncanville (6A) 244-81-2 0.749
Jerry Bomar Beeville Jones (4A) 243-140-3 0.633