Join Our Community

Do you bleed Burnt Orange? Come talk about the Longhorns! Registration is FREE and EASY!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

BREAKING: Texas Hires TCU AD Chris Del Conte

The University of Texas appears to have found their new Athletic Director in TCU’s Chris Del Conte, as reported first by Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman.  Del Conte has spent the last eight years as the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics at TCU, where he oversaw $300 million worth of donor-funded renovations to the program’s football and basketball facilities.  He was also responsible for negotiating the school’s entry into the Big 12 Conference.  In its opening five years of Big 12 play, the Horned Frogs have captured conference championships in football, baseball and men’s tennis.

Prior to Del Conte’s work at TCU he served as Athletic Director for the Rice Owls from 2006 – 2010.  His accomplishments at Rice include successful fundraising campaigns that allowed for renovations to Autry Court, Reckling Park and the opening of Tudor Fieldhouse, which included a new academic center, training facility, locker rooms and administrative offices.

Del Conte spent five-plus years on the athletic department staff at the University of Arizona, where he joined the staff in December of 1999 and he oversaw all aspects of athletic fund development.

Interim University of Texas Athletic Director Mike Perrin’s contract expires in August, 2018, allowing plenty of time to acclimate Del Conte to the position.  On tap for Del Conte will be the construction of a new basketball facility for the Longhorns, as well as continuing the solid work Perrin has put in place to build goodwill with the alumni, donors, state legislature and City of Austin.

Del Conte announced his acceptance of the position at Texas in a Twitter post.

That is absolutely awesome!  Welcome to the 40, Chris.

He is so well-respected, and he well-positioned TCU.  Thank goodness they learned from their mistake with Patterson.  It is obvious that he supports coaches and maintains good relationships with alumni, while maintaining and upgrading facilities.

btw, I'm thrilled, if you can't tell.  :D

Great hire!!! Looks like we are finally getting it right. We are solid in EVERY coaching position now (all sports) and they will be led by a great AD. Great things ahead in ALL sports. Thank you Mike for holding it down and making needed changes along the way. I am thrilled that we now appear to be the 1st class organization that we all expect us to be. 

the basketball arena needs to be designed so that about 8-10,000 seats are in a lower bowl that helps amplify the sound similar to what VCU and some smaller schools have.  the upper level above suites should only be used when attendance demands. Texas needs to create a true home court from about 9000 loyal fans yet have bigger arena for some games that will draw more and for other activities

37 minutes ago, Dude65 said:

Did everybody get scooped on this?

Never seen it coming nor did I see any reports hinting @ it. X

I had read a few months back where Del Conte would be the target of the AD search, but I can't remember where I read that. That being said this is a great hire. He's great with boosters, knows how to oversee any athletic expansion project and is well versed in the political climate of sports in the state of Texas. Home run.

Tom herman’s statement on the hiring of Chris Del Conte:

“First and foremost, I want to thank Mike Perrin for all he’s done for me, my family, our football program and Texas Athletics. He has been tremendous to work for and personally, unbelievably supportive. I’m very grateful for my time with him.

“I knew when a new athletics director took over that Greg Fenves would make a terrific hire, and he certainly did. I’m absolutely thrilled that Chris Del Conte will be leading our Athletics Department. I’ve known him for several years, worked with him during my time at Rice and have continued to admire his work from afar for a long time. He’s a smart and creative leader who has a great passion for student-athletes and college sports. On top of that, he’s an engaging, energetic and fun person to be around and work with. We’re definitely in good hands, and I’m looking forward to a bright future with Chris leading the way.”

You guys are receiving a wonderful AD.  He helped do wonders for TCU across the board.  I do not pretend to understand if the complexities of a smaller, private university are basically the same as a very large, public university but CDC's track record is one of great accomplishment and command of the entire athletic department.

The unspoken subtext of this hire, and the main reason I celebrate the hiring while losing the fine AD from my alma mater is that the hiring of CDC finalizes that Mack Brown will never again be more than an unofficial spokesman for Texas football.

And for that reason I am thankful.

10 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Got buried in the 5 thoughts thread after the Tech game.

My point was with all my snikey comments was yes it had been tossed about for months, even the last year or so on various message boards, but pretty much went under the radar in terms of any of the sites mods making serious contention talks. 

So obviously Belmont was able to keep a secret and not get leaked. Imagine that huh? 

4 hours ago, Dude65 said:

My point was with all my snikey comments was yes it had been tossed about for months, even the last year or so on various message boards, but pretty much went under the radar in terms of any of the sites mods making serious contention talks. 

So obviously Belmont was able to keep a secret and not get leaked. Imagine that huh? 

Yeah it was impressive how they kept it pretty quiet. Worked out for the best.