Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Tomhermansboy

How to win football games.

The first step is to admit that you are who you are. We were 6-7, 5-7, 5-7 and now 6-6 headed into the bowl game. We have been below average on a regular basis. How do you fix that? Simple. Recruit at an elite level. Football is a very simple game made complex by ignorant people. At the end of the day you have to be able to block and tackle better than the team you are playing. In short, your 11 has to be better than your opponents 11. Help is Definetly on the way. Hence the incoming class. Take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the ride. Its coming!! Tom will be the winningest coach in our storied history when it is all said and done. There isn't a doubt in my mind. Before everyone starts pointing fingures and bashing Tom and this staff please understand and realize one thing. Our best player on offense this year (C. Williams) would have been a 2nd or 3rd string left tackle on the '05 team. J. Charles was a freshman 3rd string RB on that team. Point you ask??? Our practice squads in '05 were better than our last 4 teams starting units.  Answer to our problems? Elite talent!!! Hook 'em

Then why in thunder is Conner leaving as a Junior?  Is he getting bad advice?

I truly believe Elliott is making a mistake. Neither Elliott or Hill are as good as the players in their positions on that team.

Boyd is the one making the right decision.  I think Malik will, too. 

I think I’ve mentioned that I have a very close relative who played D1 football and The League. He said you have never felt a hit until you have been hit in the NFL. 

These guys have no business going to The League unless they are physically ready. I don’t think any of them are, yet. They will be, but not yet.  

Place emphasis on both lines.  Texas covets RBs but that won’t matter until they develop a dominant OL.

Same goes on the DL although I thought the DL performed quite well this year.

In my opinion, Malik Jefferson will not play beyond his rookie contract.  He apparently was dominant in high school when he was playing against 170 pound kids.  He has been completely overrated at this level and I think he will wash out in the NFL.

Couldn't agree more. However, Malik had his best year this year. We actually have coaches that can recruit and develop players. You are exactly right though. Games are won and lost on the lines of scrimmage. We are a far cry from a "talented team." That is in the process of changing from a recruiting and development stand point though. Takes two years of both in order to see a significant difference on the field. We are Definetly on our way now!!! 

K-State would never win a game if their team needed "elite talent" to compete and win. How often was their 11 better than UT's? Yes having better players helps, but don't discount coaching.

Let's hope this 2018 class is as good on-field as it's projected on-paper.

Connor Williams a back-up? On any team? Please...

Ummm......yes. At best he would have been a back up on the '05 team at left tackle. Exactly what I said. Again, we now have coaches. Look at our defense this year compared to the last two years. Night and day different. That's what a real DC like Todd brings to the table. As far as k-state....they are a junior/senior oriented group every year due to juco transfers. Back to C. Williams. He obviously is too good to play in the bowl game. In my opinion he is a sellout. You make it sound like he is the best thing since sliced bread. Did you watch the tech game? He got beat like a drum ALL night!!! Again, at best 2nd string left tackle on '05 team. The '05 team had better practice squad players than this years starting units. Fact! Lack of talent here. We NOW have coaching and the ability to get elite talent. As far as your k state blast......I'm not sure I understand your point. Last time they won a national title? They ate a "nice team" with a great coach. No doubt! However, to compete for and win a national title you need great coaching and elite talent. It is hard to win the Kentucky derby with a mule! Please?

Are a nice team.......Sorry on my way to Houston to watch my mustangs from west orange stark get to our 4th state championship game. Earl  Thomas? We know a little about elite talent and titles around here. Great coaching and good players gets you a nice 12-1 season. Great coaches and elite talent allows you to play in 4 straight state championships and win 38 consecutive games. 

53 minutes ago, Tomhermansboy said:

You make it sound like he is the best thing since sliced bread. Did you watch the tech game? He got beat like a drum ALL night!!! Again, at best 2nd string left tackle on '05 team. The '05 team had better practice squad players than this years starting units. Fact! Lack of talent here. 

I'm pretty sure Williams will be a Top 10 NFL Draft pick this year. 

Your other assertion is hyperbole. Yes, obviously the '05 team had better overall talent than this year's squad. As did '04, '08, and '09, among others.

Correct. To my original point.....our players are not as good as half the teams we play. 6-7, 5-7, 5-7, and now 6-6. You are what your record says you are. We are average to below average and 3rd or 4th best team in our own state. Again, he may go in the top 10. He would NOT have started on the '05 team. Period. In front of who? Our talent level dropped after the '09 season and has been on a downward spiral since then. Until now. Do you want to win 8-10 games a year or do you want to make the final 4 on a regular basis (Clemson/Bama)? Kstate is NOT going to the playoffs anytime soon but they are a ok/good team. We have had a combination of horrible coaching and bad players for 3 solid years now. This year we had average to below average players (as a whole) and better coaching. Until we sign consecutive top 5 classes and retain coaches for more than a year.......expect the same. Kstate like!

8 minutes ago, Tomhermansboy said:

Correct. To my original point.....our players are not as good as half the teams we play. 6-7, 5-7, 5-7, and now 6-6. You are what your record says you are. We are average to below average and 3rd or 4th best team in our own state. Again, he may go in the top 10. He would NOT have started on the '05 team. Period. In front of who? Our talent level dropped after the '09 season and has been on a downward spiral since then. Until now. Do you want to win 8-10 games a year or do you want to make the final 4 on a regular basis (Clemson/Bama)? Kstate is NOT going to the playoffs anytime soon but they are a ok/good team. We have had a combination of horrible coaching and bad players for 3 solid years now. This year we had average to below average players (as a whole) and better coaching. Until we sign consecutive top 5 classes and retain coaches for more than a year.......expect the same. Kstate like!

He didn't show up in the tt game.

Correct. Look.....I need to be clear about C. Williams. By no means am I trying to say that I do not like him or that he isn't talented or good. What I am saying is that we have had such a steady decline in overall talent he stands out more than he should have. We are VERY young especially on offense. Williams is ok in my opinion. On this team he looks great. I only used him as an example because of our youth and overall talent level on this years and the past two years teams. He has been our bright spot. With that said, that is very sad. Our best player is one that would not have started on several of our teams in the past. Especially the '05 team. Hence the 6-7, 5-7, 5-7, and 6-6 teams. Talent level here sucks. Reality! We are maybe the 4th best team in our own state. Why? Our players are not as good as most of the teams on our schedule. How do you change that? Recruit at an elite level on a consistent basis and retain good coaches. Until that happens......7-5 or 10-2 at best. I personally believe that is in the process of changing and it will not be long until we are back. Imop.