Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
longhorn_mig

Orlando Candidate for SMU Job

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-defensive-coordinator-Todd-Orlando-on-short-list-to-replace-Chad-Morris-at-SMU-111830399

We're hearing SMU’s Chad Morris is headed to Arkansas to replace Bret Bielema, and multiple well-connected sources at SMU have told Horns247 that Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando is under consideration to replace Morris.

Along with Orlando, SMU interim head coach Jeff Traylor, who was an assistant at Texas under Charlie Strong for two seasons (2015, 2016), North Texas head coach Seth Littrell, UTSA head coach Frank Wilson and former Texas A&M head coach Kevin Sumlin are among the possible replacements to fill the vacancy, sources said.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/12/6/16742402/todd-orland-smu-mustangs-head-coach-candidate-texas-longhorns

The movement of coaches around college football means that some smaller jobs are opening up, increasing the spotlight on talented coordinators. With Chad Morris now the head coach for the Arkansas Razorbacks, the SMU Mustangs are looking for a replacement, with Texas Longhorns defensive coordinator Todd Orlando mentioned as a candidate by Horns247 on Wednesday.

I Don't think he is leaving just yet. He respects the hell out of Herman and said it multiple times and wants to stay.. He will be here next year. Not guarantee anything more than that lol Maybe im wrong. why would he wait to SMU when he could have easily put in for the bigger jobs, hell im sure Tennessee would taking him in a heart beat

22 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

I Don't think he is leaving just yet. He respects the hell out of Herman and said it multiple times and wants to stay.. He will be here next year. Not guarantee anything more than that lol Maybe im wrong. why would he wait to SMU when he could have easily put in for the bigger jobs, hell im sure Tennessee would taking him in a heart beat

Looks like Fulmer is interviewing every other DC in the SEC, so you're probably right. Orlando can sit tight another year and wait for a bigger/better job than SMU. Just depends on how eager he is to be an HC.

Strange... I was looking up data on a Firestone tire, and Hornsports knows I did that.

Often on various sites, the site's ads reveals it knows what I was shopping for on Amazon.

Big Brother always watching...

Oh, the crazy one... I have a FB page with only two friends as I use it to follow local Austin news station streaming and a few other odd things, aviation, etc.... but get bizzarre Friend Recommendations... likely I'm being punked by someone who has it in for me, I suspect...  I use an app to kill those on computer browser, but my phone app allows the idiocy.

As to Olando... no need to leave at this time. After 3-4 years and a stellar team/program on the field, and a run at the Big12 and "in the mix" for Final Four... then a super job will become open. No need to leave this arena for SMU. By staying he'll get a better job and will have established a legacy and foundation for continuing excellence in Horns Defense and overall program excellence.

2 hours ago, Epictetus said:

Strange... I was looking up data on a Firestone tire, and Hornsports knows I did that.

Often on various sites, the site's ads reveals it knows what I was shopping for on Amazon.

Big Brother always watching...

Oh, the crazy one... I have a FB page with only two friends as I use it to follow local Austin news station streaming and a few other odd things, aviation, etc.... but get bizzarre Friend Recommendations... likely I'm being punked by someone who has it in for me, I suspect...  I use an app to kill those on computer browser, but my phone app allows the idiocy.

As to Olando... no need to leave at this time. After 3-4 years and a stellar team/program on the field, and a run at the Big12 and "in the mix" for Final Four... then a super job will become open. No need to leave this arena for SMU. By staying he'll get a better job and will have established a legacy and foundation for continuing excellence in Horns Defense and overall program excellence.

Its called Google Adwords Remarketing.

I use Adwords and they are always calling me asking to run my campaigns with Google Remarketing.

Most people dont even realize Google actually used to indexes gmail accounts to learn what their users talk about and are interested in.  They are supposed to have stopped this now.

Gmail will no longer snoop on your emails for advertising purposes

Google is making a change to its advertising practices that will affect millions of Gmail users around the globe. Starting later this year, the company will stop reading your emails to refine its ads.

If you're just learning that Gmail scans your messages, this is an issue that dates back for years. Google's automated systems routinely scanned Gmail users' incoming and outgoing emails to help refine the company's massive data-gathering operation, which in turn supported its enormous targeted-advertising business.

Google's ad business is what keeps the entire company chugging along. Last year, 88 percent of all revenue at Alphabet, Google's parent company, came from Google advertising, according to its annual report.

About remarketing

Remarketing shows ads to people who've visited your website or used your mobile app. When people leave your website without buying anything, for example, remarketing helps you reconnect with them by showing relevant ads across their different devices.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Soon everyone will own an Amazon Alexa, Google Home, etc.  They will know what you buy, whats in your fridge, when you buy, and even what you are saying.  This isnt cloak and dagger shit.  Its becoming a reality because most people sold out privacy for free services a long time ago.  Information is profitable.

The issue that has some people concerned is the phrase "always listening."

Since Google collects information about what users are searching for online, what phrases they're using in their email, what directions they want in Maps and where they are day to day, what more information could it be collecting about what users are doing in their own homes?

Could the new data being collected be even more personal?

"There are plenty of privacy issues with this type of always listening technology," said Dan Olds, an analyst with OrionX, a technology analyst firm. "It's obvious that any device that is always listening could also be always storing and always analyzing anything that is within earshot of the receiver."

Olds added that Google Home could help Google amass a whole new range of information about people.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3128791/data-privacy/how-google-homes-always-on-will-affect-privacy.html

Use Google Chrome?  They keep record of every search and website visited bookmarked and much more.  Its stored in their datacenters not just on the client browser.  They even use that data to determine bounce rates of websites people visit and is supposedly the next big thing in SEO.

Facebook is probably even worse.  They let advertisers use that data to target ads by demographic, profession, sex, age, interests, etc then again Google and Bing do as well.

If its free it will probably cost you more than you realize.  Just look at Equifax

2 hours ago, DMAC said:

If its free it will probably cost you more than you realize.  Just look at Equifax

I know we're sidetracking, but everyone is going to tap their foot nervously until Orlando makes a decision, so...

Having worked in the cyber security field for a while, most would be quite nervous about what information is out there if they knew it all. For a while people were nervous putting their private pictures in the cloud, when their banking and medical records had been there for years. Most of that is out of people's control, and what they can control is normally not nearly as damaging if leaked. 

Some of the black hat folks at work put tape over the cameras on their laptops but then fill their house with cloud based security cameras. Doesn't make sense, but in a certain way it does because they at least have the feeling of control. 

From the beginning Google has been upfront on their privacy policies. I was an early gmail user and didn't care if they scraped my email for fantasy football info or birthday party invites. Most people don't read eula's, but even at the time Google called this out specifically so people would know (to their credit). Over time, with privacy leaks and more people using gmail for business purposes, the attitude changed toward this policy and accordingly Google changed as well. Plus, early Google users were mostly geeks who knew this already, and as more general users came online they didn't understand. It's all about expectations. 

For the most part Google has been a good shepherd of people's anonymous info. They've overstepped a couple of times and were called out quickly by the community. For people concerned about all of Google's power, there's a large community of people who *study* privacy agreements from all over the place and have pretty big megaphones. Google and the other big companies normally respond quickly when these folks call foul - it's really bad for business. 

As for all the new Internet of Things (IoT) tech... for the average user I'd wait for security flaws to be exposed and fixed before jumping on board. Just remember for most of this stuff it's early. I wouldn't want a remote exterior door lock, remote garage door opener, voice activated devices in the house, interior cameras with microphones (some of which have embedded firmware that allows hijackers to monitor with absolutely no knowledge of the user), keep Kinect and other game motion cameras unplugged when not in use, and in general - any device that is around during private or sensitive moments to not be in the same room.

For most, external security cameras are equally effective for home use at getting grainy video of robbers. Obviously having cameras around to monitor babies or kids are a different story, but their purpose is different as well. Those cameras are bought with the expectation they will be watched over the web, so people are normally more sensitive to their placement and usage. I do have a few cameras that I use when on vacation to keep an eye on the house and pets. They are IP based cameras that I can quickly set up and unplug again and put away when I get back home. 

Overall, people just need to understand most of the info they really care about is already in the cloud and just needs to monitored. For everything else, you don't need to bring the public into your private places. If you can reach it from outside the house, other people can as well.

However as long as early adopters are aware of the risks but love the tech then that's ok also. Everyone just needs to be know what they're getting.  

I quit using Chrome a while back on my work/desktop computer. Firefox is okay, and Safari useful for some mechanics it has.  I do use Chrome on my iPhone.

Thanks for the added/expanded info. I've been aware if I look anything up online it starts showing up on the few sites I visit as side-column ads or pop-up ads. Not so miffed by it, per se, as it's intrusive and an eye sore. Makes me stop and think "why are you following everything I do... geez." But not as bad as click-baits on sites, such as "One weird trick to _____" and "You'll never believe what ______ did" -- that kind of moronic pitch.

DMAC..  I plan to go through your long post and examine a few things. My employer, a writer I'm contracted to, has had severe hacking and security problems, and we exchange some information securely either postal mailed or hand-off disks, of things that never go online, at least on his end.

Thanks, Captain Hookem, for your input, too. Much obliged.

7 hours ago, Captain Hookem said:

I know we're sidetracking, but everyone is going to tap their foot nervously until Orlando makes a decision, so...

Having worked in the cyber security field for a while, most would be quite nervous about what information is out there if they knew it all. For a while people were nervous putting their private pictures in the cloud, when their banking and medical records had been there for years. Most of that is out of people's control, and what they can control is normally not nearly as damaging if leaked. 

Some of the black hat folks at work put tape over the cameras on their laptops but then fill their house with cloud based security cameras. Doesn't make sense, but in a certain way it does because they at least have the feeling of control. 

From the beginning Google has been upfront on their privacy policies. I was an early gmail user and didn't care if they scraped my email for fantasy football info or birthday party invites. Most people don't read eula's, but even at the time Google called this out specifically so people would know (to their credit). Over time, with privacy leaks and more people using gmail for business purposes, the attitude changed toward this policy and accordingly Google changed as well. Plus, early Google users were mostly geeks who knew this already, and as more general users came online they didn't understand. It's all about expectations. 

For the most part Google has been a good shepherd of people's anonymous info. They've overstepped a couple of times and were called out quickly by the community. For people concerned about all of Google's power, there's a large community of people who *study* privacy agreements from all over the place and have pretty big megaphones. Google and the other big companies normally respond quickly when these folks call foul - it's really bad for business. 

As for all the new Internet of Things (IoT) tech... for the average user I'd wait for security flaws to be exposed and fixed before jumping on board. Just remember for most of this stuff it's early. I wouldn't want a remote exterior door lock, remote garage door opener, voice activated devices in the house, interior cameras with microphones (some of which have embedded firmware that allows hijackers to monitor with absolutely no knowledge of the user), keep Kinect and other game motion cameras unplugged when not in use, and in general - any device that is around during private or sensitive moments to not be in the same room.

For most, external security cameras are equally effective for home use at getting grainy video of robbers. Obviously having cameras around to monitor babies or kids are a different story, but their purpose is different as well. Those cameras are bought with the expectation they will be watched over the web, so people are normally more sensitive to their placement and usage. I do have a few cameras that I use when on vacation to keep an eye on the house and pets. They are IP based cameras that I can quickly set up and unplug again and put away when I get back home. 

Overall, people just need to understand most of the info they really care about is already in the cloud and just needs to monitored. For everything else, you don't need to bring the public into your private places. If you can reach it from outside the house, other people can as well.

However as long as early adopters are aware of the risks but love the tech then that's ok also. Everyone just needs to be know what they're getting.  

Good post.  

Google has done a decent job of keeping users information secure, atleast to the extent that we know of.  All of the information they collect is always stated in the pages and pages of their ToS.  Most people dont read the ToS and are not aware of what they are giving up.  As for Medical records and Financial records those have been collected for decades and sold, shared, rented, etc.  The difference is some data is vital for health and financial transactions  while most of the data Google collects is used solely for marketing purposes.

I do find is amusing a lot of these companies are now paying these little startups big money to stop blocking their ads.

It has previously been reported that Google pays Adblock Plus-owner Eyeo $25 million annually to ensure its ads are unblocked.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-microsoft-amazon-taboola-pay-adblock-plus-to-stop-blocking-their-ads-2015-2

As long as people crave the latest and newest thing they will always give up something for it.  

From 247

Sources: Orlando a serious candidate at SMU

Horns247 broke the story Wednesday that Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando was on the short list of candidates to replace Chad Morris as head coach at SMU. Sources also told me late Wednesday SMU representatives and Orlando have spoken about the job. Plan A for SMU athletic director Rick Hart, according to sources, is to focus on finding a defensive-minded head coach while possibly trying to hold the SMU offense (and maybe even some of Chad Morris’ offensive staff) in tact, sources told me. In addition to Orlando, SMU representatives are also planning to talk to (or have already been in contact with) Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables as well as Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele. One source told me Venables would be the leading candidate in that scenario, followed by Orlando and then Steele. 

Two sources told me Orlando was in Dallas Wednesday and found time to meet with SMU representatives. Those same two sources said they expect Chad Morris, now the head coach at Arkansas, to make a run at Venables as his defensive coordinator with the help of Arkansas’ alums - Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones and son/Cowboys VP Stephen Jones. Venables is earning $1.7 million this season as DC at Clemson, where he worked with Morris and the two became close before Morris left for SMU. Sources said Jerry and Stephen Jones played a significant role in helping Morris get the job at Arkansas after becoming close with Morris, whose son, Chandler, is a backup QB at Highland Park HS to starting QB John Stephen Jones, son of Stephen Jones’ (and Jerry’s grandson).

If Venables turns down Morris as DC at Arkansas, it won’t be because of money. Sources told me Jerry and Stephen Jones would help make sure Venables remains the highest-paid assistant in college football, possibly taking him to an unprecedented coordinator’s salary of $2 million. And to think Venables was somehow the whipping boy at OU under Bob Stoops. Quick aside on Venables: There is growing speculation Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, who is 78, could be stepping down after K-State’s bowl game. Longtime Snyder offensive assistant Dana Dimel just took the UTEP head coaching job, which some see as a signal Snyder is ready to step down and Dimel wasn’t the succession plan. Others say it was simply Dimel, a former head coach at Houston and Wyoming, getting the itch to be a head coach again and grabbing an opportunity.

Either way, Venables, a K-State alum, has long been seen by the K-State community as a possible heir to the Snyder throne. We’ll see. All that was to say while Venables seems like a logical candidate for SMU, he may be a bit of a longshot, which could move Orlando up in the pecking order for the Mustangs. I was told SMU AD Rick Hart wants to move quickly and was actually in contact with potential replacements for Morris on Monday. Protracted, deliberate football coaching searches may be a thing of the past thanks to now-fired Tennessee AD John Currie.

I was told Hart would like to have the frontrunner to replace Morris identified in the next 36 hours. Once it gets past that point, you’ll have too many big-money donors at SMU with ideas and too many cooks in the kitchen, sources said. There are already some SMU BMDs who’d like to hire an experienced coach like Kevin Sumlin or Les Miles who might like to finish out their coaching career at SMU, such as Les Miles or Sonny Dykes. Another name targeted by SMU donors is TCU offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie.

But Hart saw an SMU offense this past season that put up plenty of points (40.2 ppg) - without enough defense (35.5 ppg given up). So his hope is to find a bright, young defensive-minded head coach who’d be willing to sign a contract with a $5 million to $7 million buyout - helping to ensure the same head coach for the next five years, sources said. One source said not to be worried about If Hart’s hope is to hire a defensive-minded coach with the hope of former Texas offensive assistant coach/current SMU interim head coach Jeff Traylor sticking around to run the offense, that might be ill-fated. I’m told Traylor has other offers, including Arkansas and possibly as Missouri head coach Barry Odom’s OC replacement for Josh Heupel, who just became the head coach at Central Florida.

We’ll see … (Chip Brown)

54 minutes ago, primal defense said:

If UH had hired Orlando instead of Applewhite then Herman wanted LSU's Dave Aranda.

Aranda is the highest paid college asst I believe.  I think he was Herman's roommate in college as well.  Chavis on the other hand has a cheesy mustache and an affinity to super Mario.

What’s the talk to Herman is pissed and believes this Orlando talk is hurting recruiting. Word is he interviewed yesterday and Herman said he needs to k ow quick if Orlando is truly interested or not. If so get out type deal. Ohhh boy. If that’s legit then we are SCREWED

I was under the impression that Orlando's and Herman's relationship was such that Todd would let Tom know if he were interviewing for another gig. I don't subscribe to 247, but it may just be sensationalized click-bait trying to find controversy where none exists. Let's hope so, anyway.

I'd hate to lose Orlando after only one year.

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/12/open-post-weekend-december-8th-10th/

Am told by sources that Texas DC Todd Orlando is telling people close to him that he has no intention of leaving Texas anytime soon. The context of my conversation with the source was specifically related to the SMU job opening. At least according to this source, while SMU may have some interest in Orlando, he’s telling people close to him that he doesn’t plan on leaving. – (Super K)