Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
java

Playoff Chaos?

Really depends on the Wisconsin - tOSU game IMO.

As much as it hurts to say it, OU is a safe bet. 

Georgia should be in based on how they handled Auburn so far. 

Winner of Miami and Clemson gets in either way. If Clemson wins, they are #1, if Miami wins, OU will be #1

If Wisconsin wins, they are in. If they lose, then it might get iffy. If they get trounced like 2014 then tOSU might get the #4 seed, otherwise most likely they will give that to Bama. I hope that Wisconsin and Clemson will win, leaving us with:

1 - Clemson
2 - OU
3 - Georgia
4 - Wisconsin

If tOSU wins, and Miami wins, I think we may have a controversy with Alabama sitting at #5. 

The SEC is down, and their noncon doesn’t help. Alabama doesn’t belong there this year. If they did, they would have beaten Auburn. 

If Wisconsin and Clemson win, it should be this in my opinion:

1 - Wisconsin
2 - Georgia
3 - Clemson
4 - ou

I rate ou lowest, not just because I can't stand them, but they did lose at home. Clemson had a bad loss at Syracuse. Georgia lost on the road and Wisc went undefeated.

Let the outrage begin!  

The playoff committee left out two conference champions-2 sections of the Country. 

One of the commentators said yesterday that if the committee did this, it would hasten realignment.  The ESPN talking heads are trying to put lipstick on this pig, but it doesn’t fly with me. 

Superconferences, now!  Need a reason, collusion and incompetence.

These ESPN guys are full of crap  Do not tell us that noncon matters-never again  

I heard over and over today that the 4th spot went to Alabama because they were the best team. Of those closest to filling the #4 spot.

But no one explained the criteria for "best team." Coach Saban kept referring to their "body of work."  

ESPN put this on a screen:

Strength of Schedule
11th, USC
36th, Ohio State
40th, Alabama

vs FPI Top 40
5-2, USC
4-2, Ohio State
3-1, Alabama

And of course, Alabama won neither their division nor conference.

The so-called playoff is going to be a hard sell from now on. Admittedly the Big 10 and Pac 12 beat each other up and the champions had 2 losses, which didn't help their case, and Ohio State took a drubbing from Iowa.

But the point is, if deciding the finalists is not about winning out your conference, then it takes away from the whole concept of playing a game on the field and the scoreboard meaning anything. "We lost early but wasn't a bad loss. You lost mid-way and by a lot of points. Well, we only lost the last game but our resume speaks for itself." 

Shall we grant the championship ahead of time to the "best team"? Or wait until after all games are played and retroactively give the trophy to the "best team" regardless of the scoreboard?

The criteria for selecting Alabama shows the college game has no true steering organization. No formula in place that you play to from the opening game. As you do even in Texas High School. And in the NFL. If it's this arbitrary by room full of suits, I had just as much fun with the old AP, (UPI) and Coaches Polls. Just go undefeated and rule the roost.

But don't pretend "my arbitrary" is better'n "your arbitrary."

Using Google "distance" pages...

Tuscaloosa, AL to Athens, GA is 274 miles, takes little over 4 hours to drive. The distance and time is like Austin to Jasper.

Athens, GA to Clemson, SC is 74 miles, takes about hour and 25 min to drive there. About like Austin to Waco, give or take.

So three of the four finalists would fit between Austin and Shreveport, Louisiana.

I imagine Colin Cowherd will talk about the 'regional' aspects of the Final Four on his show tomorrow. He has before. It's a national audience, and the networks and sponsors will be trying to appeal coast-to-coast to an audience to engage in OU and three teams whose campuses you could fit in the east half of the State of Texas.

Drove by Clemson on the way to Durham, NC a summer ago. All you see is a sign that says Clemson off the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere. I just happened to look over driving by. We did clip top of Alabama on the way , stopped at a drive-in store, got a look-see at license plate covers, bumper stickers. 'nuff said.

So, all of the midwest, west & nor'west, and northeast are gonna be glued to their sets come New Year's.  And don't forget, this is a rubber match for Clemson and Alabama, and Alabama's fourth straight trip.

10 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

I heard over and over today that the 4th spot went to Alabama because they were the best team. Of those closest to filling the #4 spot.

But no one explained the criteria for "best team." Coach Saban kept referring to their "body of work."  

ESPN put this on a screen:

Strength of Schedule
11th, USC
36th, Ohio State
40th, Alabama

vs FPI Top 40
5-2, USC
4-2, Ohio State
3-1, Alabama

And of course, Alabama won neither their division nor conference.

The so-called playoff is going to be a hard sell from now on. Admittedly the Big 10 and Pac 12 beat each other up and the champions had 2 losses, which didn't help their case, and Ohio State took a drubbing from Iowa.

But the point is, if deciding the finalists is not about winning out your conference, then it takes away from the whole concept of playing a game on the field and the scoreboard meaning anything. "We lost early but wasn't a bad loss. You lost mid-way and by a lot of points. Well, we only lost the last game but our resume speaks for itself." 

Shall we grant the championship ahead of time to the "best team"? Or wait until after all games are played and retroactively give the trophy to the "best team" regardless of the scoreboard?

The criteria for selecting Alabama shows the college game has no true steering organization. No formula in place that you play to from the opening game. As you do even in Texas High School. And in the NFL. If it's this arbitrary by room full of suits, I had just as much fun with the old AP, (UPI) and Coaches Polls. Just go undefeated and rule the roost.

But don't pretend "my arbitrary" is better'n "your arbitrary."

Wouldn't it be super ironic if both Bama and UGA would get blown out by Clemson and OU? 

Because IMO the real problem is as follows: Since you only play 3 games out of conference (or in the SEC case 4 if I'm correct), your strength of schedule depends pretty much on your conference. So effectively by include two teams from the same conference you are saying that this conference is better than the two others you excluded. Yet, your only point of comparison between the conferences are the first couple of games that you played out of conference. But, teams get better or worse during the course of the season so even that point might be flawed. 

But effectively you are saying that the SEC is better than the BIG10 or PAC12: Bama best out of conference win was against Fresno State who ended up unranked (after being #25 last week). There best conference win is against #17 LSU a team that got handled by Mississippi State and lost to Troy. The only top 10 team they played, they got manhandled (#7 Auburn). The rest of the OOC schedule: FSU (a mediocre 6-6), Colorado State, Mercer - not your typical power houses. 

Just take a look at Ohio State: they lost to #2 OU and to unranked Iowa, the game that in the end killed their play offs hope. While that second loss is really bad, they have beaten 2 other top 10 teams in #6 Wisconsin and #9 Penn State. The rest of the OOC schedule consists of Army and UNLV.

In my opinion USC should have gotten more of a look by the committee. There OOC schedule: Texas, Western Michigan, #14 Notre Dame. They lost to ND and to #18 Wazzu, so two top 20 teams. yet their best wins are two times against #13 Stanford. If you say they are missing their statement win, the same has to be said for Bama. To me, that means you value the SEC schedule more than the Pac 12 or the Big 10 schedule. I would have liked to see that played out on the field and not justed assumed by the committee. If can't find the tweet on the out of conference records, but I think the SEC went 5-7 against power 5 opponents, while the pac 12 had the best record. 

I try to look at this the most unbiased as possible because I don't have big sympathy or antipathy for all of those teams. But it seems to me that Ohio State might have gotten robbed this year (then again, they were the one's robbing in the past). 

47 minutes ago, Eastexhorn said:

Do not like them but OU will put up a lot of points.

This could be true but I’m doubting it. Best defense Sooners played nationally was TCU ranked 19 in defense.... Georgia is #4... Clemson 6... and Bama 2.... might be the best offense these teams have seen as well but will sure as hell be the best defenses Baker and company walk into

So the consensus is that tOSU losing to Iowa was the reason they didn’t get in. Oklahoma lost to Iowa State...in Norman. Yeah, ou bounces back and has looked really good, but how can the committee look at Iowa any differently than Iowa State? The process is far too subjective. Are we taking conference champs or aren’t we?  If it’s supposedly a representation of the P5 conferences, shouldn’t it be a 5-team setup with a first round bye?  USC has as much of a bitch, if not more so than tOSU. Alabama did not even win their division, let alone their conference. 

This is a horrible message the committee has sent. (Understand I don’t have a dog in this fight, and if all four playoff teams, USC and tOSU got a raging case of Montezumah’s Revenge that sidelined them all for the month of January and cancelled the playoff, I wouldn’t lose a wink of sleep.)

2 hours ago, joeywa said:

So the consensus is that tOSU losing to Iowa was the reason they didn’t get in. Oklahoma lost to Iowa State...in Norman. Yeah, ou bounces back and has looked really good, but how can the committee look at Iowa any differently than Iowa State? The process is far too subjective. Are we taking conference champs or aren’t we?  If it’s supposedly a representation of the P5 conferences, shouldn’t it be a 5-team setup with a first round bye?  USC has as much of a bitch, if not more so than tOSU. Alabama did not even win their division, let alone their conference. 

This is a horrible message the committee has sent. (Understand I don’t have a dog in this fight, and if all four playoff teams, USC and tOSU got a raging case of Montezumah’s Revenge that sidelined them all for the month of January and cancelled the playoff, I wouldn’t lose a wink of sleep.)

By ignoring two P5 conference champions, the committee made it completely subjective declaring "best team" as a label for a decision, and a list of 'bullets' for determinations. Says who? The Playoff Fairy?

To make such subjective analysis flies in the face of getting away from season-ending polls of long ago. Zero improvement and screws with traditional bowls, flying in the face of a conference race to the finish, mocking fans and public in general.

I'm betting Ohio State / USC in the Cotton Bowl will get a better rating than Clemson-Bama. By dusk Jan 1st the national viewing audience will have had enough quality bowl games thru Sat night.

This year, the NFL's Sunday lands on New Year's Eve putting a gap between most of the top bowl games of Fri/Sat, and the NY Day lineup. By Monday, who really Cares for two late bowl games with 3 of the 4 teams an afternoon's drive from one another, two in the same conference with one a loser of its Div and an SOS of 50! Oh, I forgot, it's got a brand (and a committee).

The OU-GA game could get fair ratings, but Clemson vs. We're-Entitled-to-the-Opportunity, may not. Half the country will get ready for work on Tuesday. I'm spending time with the family. May DVR OU/GA for the heck of it.

The BCS and this new system suck and are no better than  beauty pageants. I for one loved the old bowl match ups and the UPI/AP polls systems. These were every bit as fair and were no more subjective than the crap we are getting now.  The new systems have not been an improvement by any means. Change for the sake of change sucks.   

This year is no different than any other year. There are 2-3 obvious choices and 2-3 more that a case can made that should be picked. 

Guess what. The same thing will happen again next year and the next and the next.

It won't change until a true division/conference style setup with a true playoff system like the NFL is in place. 

17 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

This year is no different than any other year. There are 2-3 obvious choices and 2-3 more that a case can made that should be picked. 

Guess what. The same thing will happen again next year and the next and the next.

It won't change until a true division/conference style setup with a true playoff system like the NFL is in place. 

They could use the Texas state high school playoff as a go-by as well...take a conference champ plus the 2nd place team per conference.  Then every conference in the nation could be represented.  And include at-large selections for independents.  And all the bowls can be used as playoff sites. It can be fixed and satisfactory to crown a true national champion if the ones in power truly want it.  Which they don't...