Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
mctmatt

Jimbo Fisher Effect!

Ranking the teams in their own division Alabama and LSU are better jobs and Auburn with Malzhan is tough.

It will be interested to see Jimbo going against Arkansas and Chad Morris the aggie.

No Bull: National titles are the expectation for Jimbo Fisher

https://247sports.com/Article/Jimbo-Fisher-Texas-AM-press-conference-makes-it-clear-National-championships-are-the-expectation-111725826

Is that offense going to be appealing to Texas highschool players? Most are now playing in a spread offense. 

What ever happen to Texas Highschool football coaches and those relationship that always seemed to be so very important?

I get the whole momentum thing...  I think it's overrated IMO. He's going to get a pass for the first year or two and then he has to start contending for something. I just don't see aggy being better than Alabama, LSU, or even Arkansas the next two years.

All Texas (Herman) needs to do is win and any and all aggy momentum is over. Texas will always be the flagship school of the state and an appealing choice for in state recruits. 

When Texas is winning, Texas is a powerhouse no matter what any of those other programs are doing.

Now they have to go win.

God knows we are tired of waiting.

2 hours ago, drgilbert said:

Just read on Twitter that apparently Jimbo has pissed off the THSCA already. The thought is the coaches are pissed cause Jimbo met with the 7v7 coach 

Yep, he met with one of adidas' street agents....er....7v7 "coaches" in Houston.

2 hours ago, drgilbert said:

Just read on Twitter that apparently Jimbo has pissed off the THSCA already. The thought is the coaches are pissed cause Jimbo met with the 7v7 coach 

If this ain't a red flag idk what is.  He might as well paint a sign that reads "Hey! I'm here and I'm ready to cheat!!!"

24 minutes ago, Dbut82 said:

If this ain't a red flag idk what is.  He might as well paint a sign that reads "Hey! I'm here and I'm ready to cheat!!!"

Historically, the only times aggy has been worth a damn was when Sherrill and Slocum were cheating. Jimbo knows this, I'm sure. Bad news is the NCAA doesn't wanna catch or sanction anybody; UNC, Bama, Auburn, etc.

Ole Miss just got a slap on the wrist.

13 hours ago, primal defense said:

Texas A&M guaranteed $75M to its new football coach. How can it afford that?

http://www.khou.com/sports/college/texas-am-guaranteed-75m-to-its-new-football-coach-how-can-it-afford-that/496928305

My favorite part of the article...

"But A&M leaders might be confident because gambles like this have worked out in the past. In 1982, A&M generated national outrage for its hiring star University of Pittsburgh coach Jackie Sherrill to the biggest contract in college sports history at the time. A&M's president, Frank Vandiver, even threatened to resign over the deal.

Sherrill went on to be one of the most successful coaches in A&M history."

Sooooo...how'd that work out for them?

"6. Texas A&M — Seven Major Infractions: The Southwest Conference is probably the most corrupt entity in the history of college sports.  Texas A&M enjoyed quite a bit of success during the 1980s, winning three consecutive conference titles under Jackie Sherrill, who Joe Paterno once lumped with Barry Switzer when bemoaning that era of college football. Sherrill resigned in 1988 after the NCAA discovered that assistant coaches and boosters were providing improper benefits to recruits — one was given a sports car and another’s father was offered medical treatment. The Aggies were given two years of probation, banned from the postseason for one season and docked 10 scholarships. Additional violations by the basketball program in 1991 and the football program again in 1994 — a booster employed and overpaid nine players who didn’t really work — almost caused A&M to suffer the same fate as SMU. "

From The Sport's Digest - The NCAA Hall of Shame

I don't know if Jimbo will be the answer for the Ag's but they were willing to put their money where their mouth is.

They wanted an established coach from a big program so they shelled out $75 million to make it happen.

We are paying the same salary today that we paid our HC in 2009. It's funny to me that the richest football program in the country is able to consistently hire the "savior of their program" for $5 million.

Jimbo will be coaching against Chad Morris at Arkansas. What if Piggy turns out to be the upstart that Miss State and Ole Miss were off and on the past several years, pushing on Bama, Auburn and LSU.

It's still a dog fight to get into the top 3 positions in that division.

Did Jimbo Fisher just step into a cold war between Texas high school football coaches? 

Never has a cookie cake caused this much controversy.

The dessert with "Welcome to Texas Coach Fisher" emblazoned in icing awaited new A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, who received the cake when he visited the home of Ro Simon Jr.

Simon Jr. coaches Fast Houston 7-on-7, an Adidas-backed select team that features A&M recruits and other top prospects.

A photo of Fisher's meeting on the first recruiting trip as the Aggies' coach circulated on Twitter. And apparently it didn't sit well with some Texas high school football coaches.

Select 7-on-7 has been a hot topic, especially as it's picked up in recent years. Fisher, whether he knew it or not, stepped into a cold war that had less to do with A&M and more to do with the friction between public school coaches and private trainers in recent years.

"It was just a matter of not really knowing the climate and how we've been working hard to keep that element out of Texas," said D.W. Rutledge, the executive director of the Texas High School Coaches Association.

Public school coaches in the state have pushed back against outside entities that could affect a team's players or their recruiting process. The widened use of 7-on-7 in public schools has been debated in recent years as the select model of the sport has skyrocketed.

Fisher, who was introduced as A&M's coach Monday, was making his first rounds of the state on Tuesday. Before he met with Simon, Fisher met with THSCA president and Katy coach Gary Joseph, whose team is in the hunt for its ninth state championship.

Some could look at Fisher's visits Tuesday as meetings with the state's recruiting power brokers, including two sides that haven't seen eye-to-eye.

"From a perception standpoint, [it] didn't look good," said South Grand Prairie coach Brent Whitson, who also said Fisher likely meant no disrespect with the photo.

It's unclear if the comments got back to the new A&M coach. But on Wednesday morning, Fisher went out of his way to praise the THSCA during a national TV interview with ESPN.

"The high school coaches association down here is unbelievable, and what they do and how they prepare their players," Fisher said. "It is unbelievably competitive world down here, there's no doubt."

Fisher isn't the first coach to meet with Fast Houston, whose team includes A&M recruit Jordan Moore and Leon O'Neal, a Cypress Springs defensive back who recently decommitted from the Aggies.

Simon and 4-star receiver Jaylen Waddle met with Texas coach Tom Herman during the summer. In November, Simon visited TCU and also took some of his players to Oklahoma for a game.

It also isn't the first time an A&M coach has had to deal with a delicate situation.

A&M coach Kevin Sumlin met with Joseph and discussed recruiting as the Aggies signed three players out of IMG Academy in February. The THSCA has strongly discouraged teams from playing IMG because of its recruitment of the state's best prospects.

Joseph said he and Sumlin both understood where each side was coming from. The Katy coach was looking to protect the interests of his peers in the state, while Sumlin needed to recruit the best players in order to maintain his job security.

Fisher, who is in his first week on the job, is quickly realizing that the recruiting climate in Texas is far different than it is in the Sunshine State, where Fisher spent the last eight seasons as Florida State's coach.

"I can see why some of the people are getting upset," Joseph said. "But before they pass the judgment, they need to see where he's coming from in this, too."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/06/jimbo-fisher-just-step-cold-war-visit-select-7-7-coach-go

57 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Did Jimbo Fisher just step into a cold war between Texas high school football coaches? 

Never has a cookie cake caused this much controversy.

The dessert with "Welcome to Texas Coach Fisher" emblazoned in icing awaited new A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, who received the cake when he visited the home of Ro Simon Jr.

Simon Jr. coaches Fast Houston 7-on-7, an Adidas-backed select team that features A&M recruits and other top prospects.

A photo of Fisher's meeting on the first recruiting trip as the Aggies' coach circulated on Twitter. And apparently it didn't sit well with some Texas high school football coaches.

Select 7-on-7 has been a hot topic, especially as it's picked up in recent years. Fisher, whether he knew it or not, stepped into a cold war that had less to do with A&M and more to do with the friction between public school coaches and private trainers in recent years.

"It was just a matter of not really knowing the climate and how we've been working hard to keep that element out of Texas," said D.W. Rutledge, the executive director of the Texas High School Coaches Association.

Public school coaches in the state have pushed back against outside entities that could affect a team's players or their recruiting process. The widened use of 7-on-7 in public schools has been debated in recent years as the select model of the sport has skyrocketed.

Fisher, who was introduced as A&M's coach Monday, was making his first rounds of the state on Tuesday. Before he met with Simon, Fisher met with THSCA president and Katy coach Gary Joseph, whose team is in the hunt for its ninth state championship.

Some could look at Fisher's visits Tuesday as meetings with the state's recruiting power brokers, including two sides that haven't seen eye-to-eye.

"From a perception standpoint, [it] didn't look good," said South Grand Prairie coach Brent Whitson, who also said Fisher likely meant no disrespect with the photo.

It's unclear if the comments got back to the new A&M coach. But on Wednesday morning, Fisher went out of his way to praise the THSCA during a national TV interview with ESPN.

"The high school coaches association down here is unbelievable, and what they do and how they prepare their players," Fisher said. "It is unbelievably competitive world down here, there's no doubt."

Fisher isn't the first coach to meet with Fast Houston, whose team includes A&M recruit Jordan Moore and Leon O'Neal, a Cypress Springs defensive back who recently decommitted from the Aggies.

Simon and 4-star receiver Jaylen Waddle met with Texas coach Tom Herman during the summer. In November, Simon visited TCU and also took some of his players to Oklahoma for a game.

It also isn't the first time an A&M coach has had to deal with a delicate situation.

A&M coach Kevin Sumlin met with Joseph and discussed recruiting as the Aggies signed three players out of IMG Academy in February. The THSCA has strongly discouraged teams from playing IMG because of its recruitment of the state's best prospects.

Joseph said he and Sumlin both understood where each side was coming from. The Katy coach was looking to protect the interests of his peers in the state, while Sumlin needed to recruit the best players in order to maintain his job security.

Fisher, who is in his first week on the job, is quickly realizing that the recruiting climate in Texas is far different than it is in the Sunshine State, where Fisher spent the last eight seasons as Florida State's coach.

"I can see why some of the people are getting upset," Joseph said. "But before they pass the judgment, they need to see where he's coming from in this, too."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/12/06/jimbo-fisher-just-step-cold-war-visit-select-7-7-coach-go

You know what?  Who cares "where he's coming from"??? F*ck him and feed him fish heads...