Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
mctmatt

Jimbo Fisher Effect!

On 12/3/2017 at 8:05 AM, DMAC said:

Face it we just got one up'ed.  We hired Herman, the hottest coach in the country.  Now the focus of that is gone thanks to ags and 4 straight years of .500 football for us

Any way you want to view Jimbo, long term or not, doesnt really matter.  In the short term the ags will gain momentum in recruiting and ag optimism from this hire whether it is warranted or not.

10 year contract reeks of desperation but I will be happy with a top 5 class and new OC.

Could not disagree more. Aggy just got a used car. Yeah, it's a Cadillac, but its old and has high miles and isn't exactly hip in today's environment. Lets face it. He's another old fat white guy.

He was a very good OC back in the day and was able to turn FSU back around, although that program isn't a big challenge to turn around.

Until now, Fischer has never stepped a foot in Texas. Nobody knows him and even less will probably like him. I once thought highly of him but toward the end at FSU, his slimy side was exposed.

We won't lose anyone from our class to Jimbo. And I seriously doubt we lose any remaining targets to them. 

When Herman wants momentum, he creates it. Look at what he did with lockers last year.

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Could not disagree more. Aggy just got a used car. Yeah, it's a Cadillac, but its old and has high miles and isn't exactly hip in today's environment. Lets face it. He's another old fat white guy.

He was a very good OC back in the day and was able to turn FSU back around, although that program isn't a big challenge to turn around.

Until now, Fischer has never stepped a foot in Texas.

How quickly we forget. If only that were true.

With a strong effort in the homestretch, coach Jimbo Fisher and Florida State were able to reel in the nation's No. 1-ranked defensive tackle on signing day Wednesday.

Marvin Wilson, the No. 4 overall player in the 2017 ESPN 300, announced Wednesday that he will sign with the Seminoles, putting a punctuation mark on a top-five recruiting haul for Fisher and his staff.

Wilson, the top-ranked prospect in Texas, chose FSU over LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma and South Florida. He made the announcement in front of friends, family and classmates at Episcopal High School.

Asked what made the difference in the end, Wilson pointed to last week's in-home visit Fisher and the Seminole coaches made. "Jimbo came to my house and gave me the greatest pitch," Wilson said.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/18600430/marvin-wilson-commits-florida-state-seminoles

Fisher may not have the recruiting connection in Texas he needs, but to claim he has never set foor in the state on a recruiting trip is far from accurate.

21 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Sure, Jimbo, it was all about aggy's desirable aesthetics and turdition. Not the $75M guaranteed contract. :rolleyes:

Yup!  He has 75 million reasons not to pass...

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Until now, Fischer has never stepped a foot in Texas. Nobody knows him and even less will probably like him. I once thought highly of him but toward the end at FSU, his slimy side was exposed.

We won't lose anyone from our class to Jimbo. And I seriously doubt we lose any remaining targets to them. 

When Herman wants momentum, he creates it. Look at what he did with lockers last year.

I never claimed that ag hiring was a good deal.  I was never a fan of Jimbo since the 1/2 game suspension for the Winston after he stole crab legs.  Maybe it was more but it seemed pretty pathetic whatever his punishment was.   Very much like Mayfields 1-2 series suspension for crotchgrabbing on national TV.  Jimbo is a f##king sellout to say the least, so is Riley

I only said this is a momentum swing in hype, attention, etc.  You guys need to put done the homer burnt orange glasses for a sec.  They will probably keep Ossai and likely get Waddle now.  There is hype around his hire in OUR state.  To deny this seems foolish.  Especially if they get Brewster to boot.  I never said it was legit.  Hell we are talking about just like they were when we hired Herman and watched them claim he lost to SMU and such.  Shoe is on the other foot now.

So according to your prediction we land Ossai, White, and Waddle before they do?  I doubt that.

BTW, Yea Herman can create momentum when he wants it.  Locker rooms!  Too bad he cant manufacturer a season finale home win against a garbage Tech team but maybe thats just me being unrealistic.

Give me a break.

Nobody here outside of eggy really knows or cares who fischer is. How do you get momentum from that? As for the aggy, he gets the same momentum at every Monday night's circle j#%k.

I can't remember that last time I invoked the name of Ossai, so have no idea what you're even talking about there. We kinda wrote him off a few weeks ago or do you remember?

Waddle is very much in play despite the hundred or so reasons why he shouldn't be.

I have no idea on White other than Roach was about to flip his CB pick to Texas late last week.

Wow you sound triggered...

Still no comment on being called out on the Marvin Wilson recruitment even though Wilson said it was Fisher. 

Doesnt go with your narrative I guess.  

No mention of Brewster either.

Lets just fling out circle jerks and its good to go.

Tons of talk and news about the hype being generated....heres one:

Google it yourself. 

SportsDay columnist Rick Gosselin made his weekly visit on The Ticket's Norm and D Invasion (KTCK 96.7 FM/1310 AM) and talked about Texas A&M's coaching search and focus on Jimbo Fisher. Here's what he had to say.

"That would be a huge get. Jimbo Fisher is a name. He's got credibility, he brings a program, he brings success. He can get A&M back in the game if you get him. He's a stud. That would be a great, great get. I wouldn't think he'd want to leave Florida State, but I guess the facilities are so much better at A&M. That would be a huge get. All of a sudden you're a player in the SEC via Jimbo."

Again let me reiterate I NEVER said he was a good hire I only said the perception was taking attention away from Hermans hire.  

Look at us we almost beat USC and we are all raving about it then we lose to Tech at home and its 6-6 again and its back to reality.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:22 PM, Sirhornsalot said:

6-6.

Right where we were with Charlie Strong. I'm sorry Coach Tom, but you are what your record says you are.

We can't beat Tech at home when it means something. smh

I honestly hope we don't go to a bowl. We'll just embarrass ourselves.

1 hour ago, DMAC said:

Wow you sound triggered...

Still no comment on being called out on the Marvin Wilson recruitment even though Wilson said it was Fisher. 

Doesnt go with your narrative I guess.  

No mention of Brewster either.

Lets just fling out circle jerks and its good to go.

Tons of talk and news about the hype being generated....heres one:

Google it yourself. 

Again let me reiterate I NEVER said he was a good hire I only said the perception was taking attention away from Hermans hire.  

Look at us we almost beat USC and we are all raving about it then we lose to Tech at home and its 6-6 again and its back to reality.

I didn't "sound" like anything since print is silent. 

I didn't realize I was called out about anything. You and your broken clock can celebrate equal footing I suppose.

Yes, I've mentioned Brewster. It's Brewster, a former Texas coach. The only people who really know about him are recruitnik Texas fans like you and me. There's no point there.

Google what, exactly? lol Your hysteria or aggy's?

You care way more about this than I do and I'm okay if you don't agree with me. 

Back to reality? lol What week is it again? Don't be a tumbleweed, tossed to and fro. What was reality for the Tech game cannot possibly be the reality for the next game, since some players will be there (that weren't) and others won't, that were.

You're still mad. I'm still not. But I get it and won't begrudge you for aiming higher. But it is what it is, some of its ugly, much of it is not.

I am not mad nor hysterical.  I simply pointed out the hype surrounding his hire, whether it is warranted or not.  My stance was very clear.   

Its my busy season so back to work. 

$75 million plus after all the bills come due for getting Jimbo .  This is history repeating itself when Sherrill was hired and I expect similar recruiting process will be implemented just more discretely and the donors will be more than willing to oblige as they are desperate for a National Championship even if they have to buy it.  

TFH's 6-6 record does enough to "take attention away from his hire" on its own.

aggy did what aggy felt was necessary. Good for them. Do I think any HC is worth $75M fully guaranteed ? Hell, no.

But, the only names bigger than Jimbo's are Saban, Urban, and maybe Dabo these days. aggy needed to generate enthusiasm to help pay off their stadium debt.

Mission accomplished, at least short-term, I'd say. Whooooooooop!

I'm going to go by history on if Jimbo is going to be successful at A&M and R.C, Slocum is the perfect example. R.C. was successful at A&M when Texas had David McWilliams and John Mackovic as the HC. Once Mack Brown arrived at UT then his program started to falter.

It's up Herman if Jimbo is going to be successful. If we have another boring mediocre season then A&M will take advantage. Jimbo and Brewster have proven they are great recruiters, however if they are going against a Texas team that's contenders for the NC then they will lose.

Right now I'm more concern about Lincoln Riley at OU. I hope he's taking advantage of what Stoops left and the program will step back some in the next few years.

If Jimbo has to go against Texas contending for National Championship then normally I would say he would be unhappy in College Station. However if someone gives me $75m, I will make it a point not to be unhappy.:)