Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
mctmatt

Jimbo Fisher Effect!

With the hiring of Jimbo Fisher the Ags have bet the farm just as they did when they hired Sherrill which actually worked out quite well for them as I remember . So, what will be the Jimbo Fisher effect .  Will we see an impact on recruiting and a surge in wins for the Aggies.  The more I read on this board and some of the reports many fill this was a huge hire for the Aggie's which I am starting to get a queasy feeling in my gut that this hire might be a game changer and not in a good way for the Longhorns.  I feel that this hire puts even more pressure on Tom and his staff to put a winning team on the field next year or they will get left behind with the energy that Fisher and his staff will bring to College Station.

Why the panic?  That is crazy. 

Guaranteed 75 million over 10 years doesn’t put pressure on Tom. That, my friend, is a marriage made in hell. 

Jimbo just made a deal with the devil, and so did the Ags.  If I were an assistant coach, I would want no part of it. It will be a pressure cooker. No thank you. 

1 hour ago, texasdalton said:

Jimbo is smart. He is goinh the charlie weiss route. He could get canned after one season and have enough money to buy a small town in the middle of shitsville

He has enough money to buy College Station?

Someone else wrote, and is correct, the Ags were complaining about Sumlin’s buyout last year. With Jimbo, they will have to wait 8 years for it to reach that level if they are unhappy.  That is only if you consider Sumlin’s buyout and other associated costs as sunk costs and don’t amortize them. 

How smart is Jimbo?  I dunno. He left his Christmas tree out for garbage yesterday so the press could make the announcement. 

5 hours ago, mctmatt said:

With the hiring of Jimbo Fisher the Ags have bet the farm just as they did when they hired Sherrill which actually worked out quite well for them as I remember .

As I recall they only got one top 10 finish and got put on probation  when the NCAA discovered he was paying recruits with cash via FedEx. 

I think this one bites the ags. FSU grew to loath him. His players were about to riot and weren't going to play for him.

So between the ugly way Fisher treats his employer (leveraging raises, constant demands, demanding loyalty then not giving it) and the ugly way Aggy treats its coaches (firing via text at a recruit's house, leaking firings weeks in advance, etc) – this is the perfect match.

Fischer's innovative days (offense) are done. He'll be as good or bad as his assistants, scheme and players.

Face it we just got one up'ed.  We hired Herman, the hottest coach in the country.  Now the focus of that is gone thanks to ags and 4 straight years of .500 football for us

Any way you want to view Jimbo, long term or not, doesnt really matter.  In the short term the ags will gain momentum in recruiting and ag optimism from this hire whether it is warranted or not.

10 year contract reeks of desperation but I will be happy with a top 5 class and new OC.

I understand what many are saying,  but Jimbo now has a chance to push the reset button on his career. He is a good coach and knows how to bring in talent. He is coming into College Station with full ticker tape parade and the billfolds and checkbooks will be open as more donors get excited about their new King!  I also see an A&M team that does have talent and a young QB that has a lot of potential which Jimbo  knows how to develop.  He is going to hit the recruiting trail hard both in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida and if he is able to  finish with a strong recruiting class it just brings more energy.  With all the coaching changes going on in the SEC and now Florida State I think he actually can use that to pull other top recruits to College Station .  I think Tom and his staff will be pushed into defense on the recruiting trail as Jimbo and his recruiters are going to push hard to get several to flip .  As for Jackie Sherrill  remember he won 3 conference championships with victories over Auburn , and Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl plus 5 consecutive victories over the Longhorns and finished in the top 10 twice and in the top 15 three times.

Matt, you need to look at this clearly. The ones looking at Jimbo with wide eyes are the Ags. Many others are looking at him as a douchebag, the way he exited Florida State was ugly. 

Scott Frost exited UCF the right way. Jimbo didn’t, and his exit is being compared to Frost’s. 

My goodness the handwringing is not what our program is about. I just don’t get it, and I’m a woman. 

Remember, we are about physicality and toughness. 

23 minutes ago, java said:

Matt, you need to look at this clearly. The ones looking at Jimbo with wide eyes are the Ags. Many others are looking at him as a douchebag, the way he exited Florida State was ugly. 

Scott Frost exited UCF the right way. Jimbo didn’t, and his exit is being compared to Frost’s. 

My goodness the handwringing is not what our program is about. I just don’t get it, and I’m a woman. 

Remember, we are about physicality and toughness. 

Java,

I hate to say but no one cares anymore about how a coach leaves for another program or how a coach is even fired on the field just after the game has ended. This is the new era of college football arms race.  Despite what many believe momentum for a program is very important and we unfortunately are a team that is 6 and 6 with the real possibility of losing a bowl game with so many leaving the program and then having 4 consecutive years of a losing record. I think DMAC has a great understanding of what this all could mean for our program. As the American Statement stated this morning we are a program with many question and Coach Herman has to get those questions answered. 

27 minutes ago, mctmatt said:

Java,

I hate to say but no one cares anymore about how a coach leaves for another program or how a coach is even fired on the field just after the game has ended. This is the new era of college football arms race.  Despite what many believe momentum for a program is very important and we unfortunately are a team that is 6 and 6 with the real possibility of losing a bowl game with so many leaving the program and then having 4 consecutive years of a losing record. I think DMAC has a great understanding of what this all could mean for our program. As the American Statement stated this morning we are a program with many question and Coach Herman has to get those questions answered. 

What you are describing is probably the best case scenario for the aggies. I just don't think it's going to play out that way, not in the college station environment. 

We will see how it plays out. We got our guy last year in Herman, the aggies got their guy this year in Jimbo. We're going to see who bet on the right horse...

About the momentum, it likely is too late for the aggies to make big splashes this year in recruiting, especially with the early signing period. There is nobody that was primarily linked to FSU among our commits (at least I am aware off), and building those relationships will be hard for him it the short period of time he has. Plus, he will have to first and foremost hold on to hiss class as of now (Neal already decommitted after Jimbo was announced because he even went to FSU and still didn't get an offer) and that will tie his hands at first. Plus, he needs to assemble his staff. 

So I'm not worried about this year. Next year might be a different ball game, but I am confident in our staff, their recruiting ability, and after next year we will no longer be a 6-6 team (hopefully :D)

28 minutes ago, mctmatt said:

This ^^

People must forget Herman reportedly did the same thing.  If I remember correctly Herman told his UH team before the bowl game he wasnt going anywhere.  It didnt dappen UT excitement when we signed him.  Why is that because he was our new HC.  Now granted his transition class was one of the lowest ranking classes in history but look at his first full cycle class, #2 so far.

https://crossoverreport.com/2016/11/27/tom-herman-told-houston-players-he-wouldnt-leave-for-texas-then-left-12-hours-later/

Momentum and perception are powerful.  Its important in games such as getting a pick 6 when the game is close.  No different in this situation.  The buzz and perception of ags is boosted in their eyes and probably in recruits.  Why is that?  Jimbo and possibly Brewster excitement when it comes to recruiting.   There is talk they could land Waddle which was expected to be Bama bound, well atleast according to Big Mike in recruiting thread.

We all know there is a $EC bias.  Look at Luke Ford.  The rumor he wants to play for a $EC school, even though he could immediate playing time here.   The Ole Mi$$ transfers are probably going to ou because of Kyler Murray and the fact the are BCS bound.  Look at ou, Riley has gained momentum even with some of our targets.  Adeyoe, Perkins, White are amoing them.

Big 10.  I was watching tOSU vs Wisconsin last night.  All I could see is Barrett, Sheffield, and of course the real gem Dobbins.  All Texas studs we lost out on.  Not to mention they are playing Championship game while we are looking at our first bowl game in 3 years. 

Point is there is a lot of momentum for other rival schools at the moment and it should make us concerned in recruiting, hype, perception, buzz and whatever other cute word you want to add.

Whether the hire actually makes a difference for ags is unknown.  I would think they will perform better under Jimbo and recruit better with Brewster.  Was it a crazy deal....yea.  

8 minutes ago, Adferrum said:

About the momentum, it likely is too late for the aggies to make big splashes this year in recruiting, especially with the early signing period.

This may be true because most transition classes are not that great but if they get Brewster I wouldnt underestimate him

1 minute ago, DMAC said:

This may be true because most transition classes are not that great but if they get Brewster I wouldnt underestimate him

On transition classes: True, Waddle might be an exception because he already has an relationship with Jimbo as FSU was among his top schools as well.

On Brewster: We will see where he ends up, I'm not sold on him going to college station or anywhere else really until I see the press release. 

Just now, Adferrum said:

On transition classes: True, Waddle might be an exception because he already has an relationship with Jimbo as FSU was among his top schools as well.

On Brewster: We will see where he ends up, I'm not sold on him going to college station or anywhere else really until I see the press release. 

Most projected him at Oregon or Bama with the ags running behind Texas for Waddle.  So that is a boost if it happens.

I hope you are right on Brewster.  I will do cart wheels if we sign him.

5 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Most projected him at Oregon or Bama with the ags running behind Texas for Waddle.  So that is a boost if it happens.

I hope you are right on Brewster.  I will do cart wheels if we sign him.

Waddle recruitment has been all over the place tbh. We'll see where he ends up, but I think the probability for us to get Marshall is higher right now than to get Waddle.

1 minute ago, Adferrum said:

Waddle recruitment has been all over the place tbh. We'll see where he ends up, but I think the probability for us to get Marshall is higher right now than to get Waddle.

True Waddle has been hard to read like @Daniel Seahorn has said.  I think you are right about Marshall.  That would be a great get if it happens although most believe LSU is still the likely destination.

I believe the clearest answer for most people (and the most objective) will be whether or not they seriously considered Fisher as replacement for Charlie Strong had Herman not worked out. For many he was a legit contender. 

Personally I wanted no part of Fisher because I viewed him as being made by Winston, and someone who would be a step back in regards to overall class and discipline of the program. He was a great coordinator, and spent a good amount of time in Bowden's shadow. However as a head coach, his record was muddled and hard to decipher without a Heisman level QB.

He also took a lot of heat for player discipline, and people complained about his over bearing ways. Given that I was also concerned how he would handle the ever-delicate egos of the Texas BMDs and hiring another coach that would chase more away.

Obviously, having won a NC he gets an immense amount of credit for that, and on the surface looks like a great hire for aggie. They'll definitely get momentum out of this in recruiting and getting the fanbase fired up again. However long term I'm not sure this is a home run hire... if there is such a thing outside of Saban. 

Still, out of what was out there aggie got generally what is considered one of the best options available. How or why he left really doesn't matter outside of FSU who has to deal with those issues, and a split fanbase, moving forward. No one else really cares.

Overall, I'm glad we have Herman and they don't. Whoever coaches over there doesn't affect Texas much as long as we take care of business.   

I have to get on the road back towards Dallas in a few short minutes ,  but as Adferrum states we will all see how this plays out  and I agree with DMAC  regarding his comments .  I am all in with Herman as I want him desperately to succeed , but next year I think our struggles might be greater than what we experienced this year and none of us want to become the next Tennessee.

2 hours ago, java said:

Remember, we USED TO BE about physicality and toughness AND WE STILL THINK WE ARE.

Texas is getting better but they are a 6-6 team.  Does Texas, and it's fans, have the patience to allow any coach to take the necessary steps to return to relevance?

Many think you go from 6-6 to 13-0 or 12-1.  Generally you do not.  The first milestone is 10 wins.  Then to win the conference.  Then to win a playoff game.  The, if lucky, you might win it all.

It takes like 5 years, if thing go just right, to makes that transition.

*For clarity, let it be known the bold above were my additions and not what Java's message said.

Edited by Embrey

I love the title.

Fisher is the Most Overrated Coach in College Football

Jimbo Fisher signed a mind-blowing 10-year, $75 million contract with Texas A&M. He’s going from the good-not-great ACC, where his biggest challenge was beating Clemson every year, into the loaded SEC West, which is the toughest division in college football.

For the most overrated coach in college football, this is going to be a tall order.

Yes, Jimbo Fisher has a National title. Yes, he had a very good 8-year run at Florida State. He was handed the keys to Bobby Bowden’s dynasty in Tallahassee, and he didn’t screw it up. Let’s see how he did:

During a 2-year run with Jameis Winston, the Seminoles were a staggering 27-1. They had a lineup full of NFL players. Literally, full. The entire 11-man offense from the 2013 National title team made it to the NFL. And the 11 starters on defense did, too. That’s obscene.

How much credit does Fisher get for that? Obviously you’ve got to recruit the players. Then again, how much does the FSU brand recruit itself?

In the years in which Winston did not play, Fisher was 56-22. Winning 71% of your games is nothing to scoff at, though much of that was compiled before Clemson and Dabo Swinney became a monster.

134138233.jpg?w=1000

Fisher won at Florida State. His successor – likely Willie Taggart – will will in Tallahassee, too. The real question: Will Fisher win at Texas A&M? He’s going up against Tom Herman at Texas, a marriage I think will work. Gary Patterson has turned TCU into a power. Chad Morris is quickly turning SMU into a destination. Kliff Kingsbury is attracting talent to Texas Tech.

And Oklahoma still recruits the state of Texas very well.

All of those hurdles plus the most difficult division in America, the SEC West.

I don’t see how this will work for a guy like Fisher, who has never spent a minute of his career – coaching or playing – in Texas.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/02/jimbo-fisher-is-the-most-overrated-coach-in-college-football/