Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Daniel Seahorn

DeShon Elliott Declares For NFL Draft

Elliott, Williams, Jefferson (not official YET), declaring and not participating in the bowl game.

I'm sure people will buy them missing the bowl game in order to prevent possible injury but I will not.

I don't know what goes on in the $10 million dollar locker room but this situation reeks of discontentment.   

Having a good year doesn’t automatically mean ready to be in the nfl..just don’t think he was quite ready to be in the nfl along with hill or even Malik quite yet...everyone wants to just get their money...and I hate watching all freshman and sophomores on the playing field as well

4 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Elliott, Williams, Jefferson (not official YET), declaring and not participating in the bowl game.

I'm sure people will buy them missing the bowl game in order to prevent possible injury but I will not.

I don't know what goes on in the $10 million dollar locker room but this situation reeks of discontentment.   

I'm not sure discontent is a bad thing. If I were a coach who inherited an under .500 team over the last three years I would want to ruffle some feathers as well.

Time will tell. 

I understand declaring for the draft. It's every kid dream who plays football to play in the NFL. What I don't like or understand is abandoning your teammates for a bowl game. I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg. It's my opinion that we will see kids shutting it down to protect their draft grades earlier and earlier. 

19 minutes ago, Baron said:

I understand declaring for the draft. It's every kid dream who plays football to play in the NFL. What I don't like or understand is abandoning your teammates for a bowl game. I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg. It's my opinion that we will see kids shutting it down to protect their draft grades earlier and earlier. 

I agree. More and more are going to shut it down especially in meaningless bowls. 

6 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

I agree. More and more are going to shut it down especially in meaningless bowls. 

But are these games really meaningless? I'm sure there are several players that don't think they are. When I played (during the dark ages) there was never a game that wasn't worth playing my hardest.

I remember one of my highs school friends who played in the old Bluebonnet Bowel his Sr year and tore his ACL in the game .  Since he was a Sr and done with eligibility then all the rehab and surgery to repair the tear were now placed upon his shoulder. When he tried to go to the trainers for rehab they told him that he would need to go to find a place  recommended by his doctor for rehab .  I agree that seeing all these guys leave early sucks and the NCAA is going to need to find some way to address this as they are slowly becoming just like basketball  where it is one and done but football is 2 or 3 and then they leave.  I am not sure what the solution is but losing all these players is going to have a negative impact on our performance in the bowl game and the 2018 season it appears to me.  

If you consider the big picture, in a meaningless bowl game, it may be better for the guys declaring for the NFL to skip the game.  It protects them from career threatening injury, and will allow the coaches to evaluate and train remaining players under real game situations.  That will ultimately benefit the team, albeit more for next season.  It just means winning the bowl is not the priority; it's getting guys some reps with the 1s that would not normally get them.  It sucks but I get it...and I can't blame a kid for protecting his chances for an NFL career.

On the other hand, if kids start opting out of regular season games...nevermind...I don't even want to think about that.

I have perused through the "rants" and replies on this, as well as other sites... decision for personal gain; UT makes money; NCAA makes money; used and abused athletes on scholarship don't get nuthin; might get injured; teammates say, "hey bro go make yer money"; players aren't here to entertain us; blah,blah,blah.

For me personally, sitting out the bowl game is wrong and pisses me off. I'm an old fart and that mentality just doesn't resonate with me. I have a thought which may be more understandable to my fellow baby boomers than to the millennials (what's in it for me )...

Actually, it is a precise and simple premise... "I AM ON A TEAM. I AM A GOOD TEAMMATE. WE WIN / LOSE / PLAY AS A TEAM. THE TEAM HAS A GAME. I AM PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF PLAYING. THEREFORE, I PLAY IN THE GAME".

I don't consider any game to be meaningless... Score will be kept and a team will win and the other team will lose the game.

I seriously doubt other players on THE TEAM are okay with the personal decisions of fellow players to skip the game. I sure as hell wouldn't be okay. I suppose I no longer understand the concept of "TEAM". I guess by today's standards I'm selfish for considering the well-being of ALL, rather than the benefit to a few. 

BTW... when I was in high school I had a similar decision to make. No, I was not chasing the $ of the NFL, but at 17 years old my decision was proportionally as significant to my future as the decision facing these players. After hearing the doctor's recommendation, (my father a former coach was silent, but my mother supported the doctor's recommendation) my decision was immediate without hesitation... "No, I will not quit the football TEAM to avoid further knee injury, in order to protect my opportunity to be awarded a track scholarship". Yes, NFL millions weren't on the line, but at that time in my life it was a significant decision point. And, the decision was simple for me to make and one I would make today. Yes, I played football my senior year of high school and did get offered a track scholarship. 

Sorry to bore you guys with details, but it is how I think and have gone through life... 

Blast away....

19 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I keep seeing "meaningless" bowl game. 

If its so meaningless why were all of us, staff, and players talking about a bowl game after UWV game?  Why were the players celebrating after the game?  Tom even mentioned after UWV in post game.  

Bill-Murray-Laughs-Then-Turns-Sad.gif?fi

I guess they're celebrating the fact that, after being in the bottom 40 teams for the past 2 years, we managed to move into the top 80 teams ;)

Hey, I'm a old fart as well (mid 60's) and pretty much have the same mind-set as Orange Larry. 

But bowl games involving teams without a winning record are  meaningless. And, unless you are fan of one of the teams, uninteresting as well.

And, yes, I will absolutely be glued to the TV whenever Texas plays their bowl game. Wouldn't miss it for nothing. 

The NCAA has to redefine the definition of win the season has ended, set up a true playoff system with all the conferences involved and utilize those bowl games in some way into a better playoff brackets . The kids need a reason to want to play in a bowl game and just like basketball has March Madness ...football has to find a way to create that same excitement and possibility that any team has a chance to win a ring and be Cinderella!