Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
texbound

Total Scholarships for 2018

The way I see It, the Horns will have around 30-31 available scholarships for 2018 with all the rumored departures to the NFL and transfers.  Also, I think Andrew Beck returns.  So, with the 25 in 1 year and 50 in 2 years I think this class can swell to that 30 to 31 limit making this one of the biggest classes taken in recent years.  

How can they get to that number with the 25 rule sitting out there? Well, I could be wrong about this but I believe they can walk back up to 6 2018 EE scholarships to the 2017  class since they only took 17.  if the total number is 31, then that would make 25 for 2018 doable. and it would still sit them under the 50 in 2 year rule. Again, I could be wrong on this so someone please fact check this.

If all this is true, then the Horns could be looking at adding 12-13 additional targets to the current 18.

They could take around 28-29 and leave a couple spots open for graduate or regular transfers.  Leaving them options to add day 1 starters.

Maybe wrong but I think NCAA changed rules to not allow a class to be beyond 25 at all. I believe that is now the cap no matter of available scholarships or EEs. Like I said. Could be wrong though. 

1 hour ago, anmarc542 said:

Maybe wrong but I think NCAA changed rules to not allow a class to be beyond 25 at all. I believe that is now the cap no matter of available scholarships or EEs. Like I said. Could be wrong though. 

I thought the same, but I hope it's wrong. We need more bodies. 

2 hours ago, anmarc542 said:

No offense, but I hope you're wrong :)

I know Alabama took 29 and Michigan took 30 commits in 2017.  So if it is a rule change then it happened this year and would be appropriate that it goes into effect the year Texas needs it.

Found this on another site: from LSU 247

With the new recruiting rules now in tact that includes an early signing period there is some confusion for many recruiting fanatics.

Schools used to be able to take more than 25 signees in a class with the loophole being they could count early enrollees to the previous signing class.

According to a college coach we spoke to, that loophole is no longer in effect meaning there is a hard cap at no more than 25 signees in each given class,
 provided a school can sign that many prospects and not go over the NCAA mandated 85-person scholarship limit.

Under the old rule, LSU would be able to sign 27 players in the 2018 class. However, 25 is the number that Ed Orgeron and his staff must juggle.

Some ask what happens when attrition strikes and schools fall under that 85-limit?

That is when coaches have to get some added bonues found in the transfer market. Transfers count only against the 85-limit, so they do not affect signing class numbers.

Do you know whether JuCo guys count as transfers or as signees under those regulations? Assuming it is transfers that would leave us with 7 open spots for HS guys and a lot of flexibility for the Juco / (graduate) transfer ranks. 

8 minutes ago, Adferrum said:

Do you know whether JuCo guys count as transfers or as signees under those regulations? Assuming it is transfers that would leave us with 7 open spots for HS guys and a lot of flexibility for the Juco / (graduate) transfer ranks. 

Not sure it took me a while to find that. Lol

Need one of the Mods to chime in, hopefully they know something and they usually do.