Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Daniel Seahorn

Thoughts Following Tonight's Gut Wrencher Against Texas Tech

(FYI, this is a very long read)

Coming off the win against West Virginia this Texas team looked like they were heading towards capping off Tom Herman’s first season with a three game winning streak with what looked like an inevitable win over a struggling Texas Tech team. Confidence only improved when the new broke prior to kickoff that Texas Tech would be rolling with their backup quarterback in the season finale.

Then the game happened. Texas was in control of the game for most of the night despite the offense being poor for majority of it. The defense did their job for most of the night, but once Nic Shimonek entered the game he jump started the Tech offense to a degree that resulted in two passing touchdowns, including the dagger that won it.

My intro to my actual thoughts will be a page long if I don’t get started, so here we go.

·         That was the worst loss of the season and it’s not even close.

I didn’t think it would get much worse than the debacle that Texas opened the season with against Maryland at home. Well the Red Raiders rolled into Austin and Texas promptly said hold my beer. Maryland prior to the massive rash of injuries they went thru actually wasn’t a bad football team. It was easy to see the pieces for the Terps and be hopeful with what they had to work with.

In Tech’s case you have a coach who was on the brink of getting fired by his alma mater, he just benched his starting quarterback, and the defense despite being improved is still not very good and had given up their fair share of points and yards this year. They were beaten down coming into this game and even though they were playing for their bowl life they probably would have folded after a few good punches to the mouth. Was Texas able to accomplish that? Nope.

After coming right down the field on the first series of the game, the Texas offensive continuously found ways to keep Tech in the game by struggling to make first downs (7 for 22 on 3rd down) and being absolutely horrific in the red zone when they actually made it down there. This offense failed time and time again this year that they were unable to impose their will on a defense when they needed it most and tonight it ended up costing them. Josh Rowland had to kick field goals from 19 and 20 yards out because the offense was unable to finish in the red zone and if they punch just one of those in it’s a completely different ball game.

Even after that the game was still there to be won. The bottom line is this game was absolutely winnable and the team proved once again that they have an issue putting teams away. And to be clear this was bigger than the offense not getting done. The defense had several let downs of their own and the biggest ones came down the home stretch once Shimonek was inserted into the game.

Good teams finish and the proof is in the pudding for this once again for this 6-6 team.

·         Turnovers cost Texas in more ways than one.

I probably could have led off with this considering that turnovers led to Texas’ demise in Austin this evening. The Longhorns gave the ball back to the Red Raiders on four different occasions (two INTs, two fumbles) and the last two were the most crucial.

Texas managed to navigated around the fumbles, but the two Ehlinger picks were back breakers and were both were questionable at best decisions from the freshmen. Texas is driving to put the game away in Tech territory and as he scrambles right he throws back across his body in the arms of a defensive back, who ran the ball back deep into Texas territory setting up Tech for the go ahead score. The final one looked like a desperation heave towards to two Texas receivers who didn’t have a shot at making the catch and tried fruitlessly to play defense to no avail.

I still think Ehlinger will get better and by no means am I bailing on him this early in his development, but he at least three instances this year where he turned the ball over in crunch time. The fumble at USC, the turnover against Oklahoma State, and the pick tonight against Tech. Depending on how you view the Oklahoma game you could add another one onto his resume.

The kid will live and learn, but those were all game deciding turnovers that could have drastically changed the trajectory of Texas entire season.

While we are on the topic of turnovers, how many potential turnovers did the Texas defense leave on the field tonight? They managed to pickoff McLane Carter twice, but they also dropped several more that could have changed the outcome. DeShon Elliott in particular dropped one that hit him right in the hands and if he keeps his feet he has a chance at one on the game winning touchdown.

·         Something has to give in the offensive meeting room

For me (and just about everyone else) this goes way further than just a one game performance. The Texas offensive went an entire season without really having an identity or any rhyme or reason. At best the offensive performance was frustrating this year and at worst it was absolutely maddening. Tonight was more of the latter than the former.

The offensive line only allowed one sack tonight early in the game when the Texas offensive brain trust inexplicably inserted Shane Buechele into the game after initially starting Ehlinger. Buechele completed two passes for six yards and then was never heard from for the rest of the evening, so I am still struggling to grasp the idea of putting Buechele in early on. That’s one of many things I would like explained by the offensive decision makers on this staff.

I’ve already touched on the red zone issues the offense has faced all season, but the most puzzling football decision of the night game on the final drive before the half. With only seconds left and no time outs deep in Tech territory, why on Earth are you trying to run the football? Not only was Tech selling out on the run on that play, but Texas was fortunate progress was blown dead because it almost became a turnover. That was a bad football decision in a season that has been full of bad ones. Another instance that stands out in my head was when Texas tried to hurry to the line and run back to back quarterback sweeps on second and third down. The Texas offensive line struggled all night (and year) to impose its will in the run game, so you rush into the same play to the opposite side just to get thrown for a loss and have to punt? This offense scratched and clawed out 116 yards on the ground at a whopping 3.5 yard s per rush against a less than stellar defensive front.  It feels like the guys in the booth have been watching a different group from the rest of us all year long.

From the beginning of the season to the end of the season I didn’t see any growth or progress on the offensive side of the ball. Injuries impacted that side of the ball this year, but that still doesn’t explain several that ranges from game planning, play calling, and personnel groupings.

I can’t imagine Herman envisioned having to make a staff change this early in his tenure, but there is absolutely no way he can stay with what he has after the performance on the field and up in the box.

·         Finding the optimism will be tough heading into the offseason

This team just scratched and clawed its way to yet another 6-win season and even with a bowl game on the horizon this season feels deflating on so many ways. A three game winning streak and a seven win year can be candied up a bit, but ending the season on that kind of note leaves an awfully bitter taste in your mouth even with the bowl eligibility.

All of the momentum and you built up last week just went out the window and now you are likely to lose several guys to the NFL via early declarations. Lets say hypothetically Connor Williams, Malik Jefferson, Holton Hill, and DeShon Elliott all declare for the draft next month. Do you feel confident a 6-win team will improve in 2018 after losing those key players considering the issues it faced this year?

This season has several parallels to Charlie Strong’s first season in Austin to the point its almost scary. Only thing that is missing is a beat down in a bowl game that sends the team to 6-7 on the year before being victimized by the NFL Draft.

·         Kris Boyd continues to play well

Lets end this thing on a positive note.

I’ve criticized Kris Boyd as much as anyone this year, so it’s only fair that I acknowledge when he is playing well like he has lately. Last week he locked up a Biletnikoff award finalist in David Sills and this week he was matched up on Dylan Cantrell who on logged two catches for 12 yards this evening.

Boyd may not have played at a high level all year like his counterpart Hill did prior to deciding to be a knucklehead, but he is showing with Hill out that he can pick up the slack as the team’s number one corner. That’s very encouraging with the likelihood of Hill declaring for the draft in the coming weeks and gives Todd Orlando a building block to work with in the secondary in 2018.

A loss like this takes the wind out of your sails if you are this team and the staff. It looked like the staff was going to be able to hang its hat on progress with a 7-5 year, in which they were competitive week in and out and weren’t embarrassingly blown out like we had become accustomed to. Instead of ending the regular season on a high note, Herman and his staff endured their worst loss to date during his short tenure in Austin, by allowing a mediocre Texas Tech squad mount a comeback in the final moments and embarrass a once program in prime time.

I’m not sure where you even begin if you are a coach in that locker room tonight. Now you have to get this team refocused and confident over the next month as you prepare for some third tier bowl game that nobody will probably remember.

On to the bowl season.

I am mad, disappointed, and to be honest NOT surprised....This bunch does not have that winning killer attitude, I hope and pray next year's version has more moxie and more heart....and a bit more talent

We Texas fans deserve better...I hope that Hermann makes the adjustments necessary and recruits the type of talent needed to compete and win at a national level

Well I have spent the last few weeks defending Sam like it’s my ex girlfriend I’d like to take back but everyone knows she’s cheated. He isn’t it. I can’t do it anymore. He isn’t the main reason we lost but Sam didn’t help the cause. Appears next year we will probably be starting another freshman and in this same hole in the mud. I was so pumped about this season and it was single handily biggest disappointment. Recruits are liable to flame out by signing day and I don’t blame them. Mensa was suppose to do something CS couldn’t, guess he did beat Kansas 

Last night was obviously the worst loss of the season. Just when we seemed to be heading in the right direction we managed to jump 10 steps back to square 1. I couldn't see the second half, but I'm honestly not sure if I have the heart to watch it now after seeing the score and a few 'lowlight' plays. I am pretty disappointed because it felt like we would already be further down the road.

Plus, 7-5 wouldn't have been stellar, but it might have been a start. I thought we might win more going into the season, but I think 7-5 with the way the season has been would've been okayish. I don't really know how to describe my feeling on going 6-6. Let's just say, it's not really positive.

Yesterday just was a really bad day for Texas athletics. First the loss against Duke that pretty much like one of our football games and served as an indication of the things to come on the gridiron. Just a really bad f##king day overall....

I have (here and at the “water cooler”) offered an alternative to all the Ehlinger euphoria to the point I’m afraid it has been misinterpreted.  

I love the kid’s moxie as everyone else.  But he is NOT Tim Tebo, he’s not Baker Mayfield... he’s not even ready to play.  I also don’t think he’s a choker because he doesn’t tighten up in clutch situations.  

What he is from a negative standpoint, is twofold:   Inaccurate and football dumb. He simply misses too many wide open receivers which kills any kind of rythem on offense and at worst costs his team touchdowns.  Also, I said he doesn’t tighten up.... that’s great, but he’d better learn a better sense of risk / reward based on the situation of the game (see USC, OU, OSU, West Virginia, Texas Tech).  

Nothing not correctable  because the tools are there.  He could be the man to take Texas back to the top.  Unfortunately,  we shouldn’t even be considering that yet… He should be watching from the sidelines wearing a red shirt.  But if ifs and buts we’re candy and nuts....

Yea its a shame that game seemed like 4.5 hour beatdown.  Hiring Beck was questionable at the time and after last night proves he was a bad hire by our Mensa TFH.  We have come full circle from losing to Maryland in the first game to finish it off by losing to Tech.

I dont understand what this staff is doing with the rotation either.  Why did Shane come in for one series?  What was the purpose for it?  Why are we rotating RB's every 3 plays?  Do they really need to rest that often?  If so fire the conditioning coach.  It breaks up any rhythm or even a chance to get any.  Young should play 80% when brief resting spells.  Why are we still throwing the ball 60 times a game?  You Conner back run the damn ball.   Stop trying to outsmart em.  You got 4 tries to get 2 yards.  Just run it.

I love having an arrogant  head coach who was considered to be an offensive guru at tOSU and UH to now saying he cant call plays because he is not up in the box.  Orlando isnt up in the box.  So what good is TFH?  He has to take responsibility at some point and we must hold him to it.  He is a big boy and no one should feel sorry for him like most of us did for "Good Guy" Charlie.

I told my wife at the start of the 4th Quarter we were going to lose.  You could see it coming.  Sure as shit it did.  I am not sure which is more embarrassing, feeling like we turned the corner last week or losing to a crappy Tech team?  Hit me with both.

Im disgusted and we deserve better than this shitshow after 4 years of proclaimed rebuilding and 8 of bad football.

Good read, concur by far the worse loss of the year. Tech at home on Sr night and we give it away at the end. I am a very tired and frustrated alum this morning,

Shane is definitely not it and Sam, I love the attitude and competitiveness but not ready. 

I get the O line injuries but how about run the ball in the 4th quarter to win the game.

I am on the Fire Beck team but Herman wont do that as he would see that as a failure on the hire on his part.

As for Herman, he shows no emotion at all on the sidelines during the game. Look at Patterson, Saban , Urban etc I really wish he would coach them up during the game..

I do see progress and understand we are a very young football team but this mediocrity year after year is so damn frustrating

Why doesn't Herman call plays?  There are many college and pro coaches that do it. Is he too hard headed?

Also I absolutely hate the personnel decisions. The announcers said something last night about how Texas had no go to guy, maybe it's because we are constantly rotating guys in and out. I dont remember Houston doing that the last 2 years. It's hard to build a repor with 10 different guys. 

#FIRETIMBECK

I stopped posting early this season, largely because I was hugely disappointed with Tom Herman's leadership, and I simply didn't want to hear Mr. Mensa was a genius and the program was on the precipice of greatness.

Early on, Herman showed some very disturbing tendencies to refuse to admit he was wrong and needed to self-correct. Horny and Leitao were both instances where Herman claimed he was smarter than anyone else on the planet and because the those decisions were his decisions, they couldn't be wrong decisions.

Well...we have now seen a full season of Tom Herman's decisions and, after watching his post-game press conference last night, he still doesn't seem to understand he has made a number of very wrong decisions and that he has needed to self-correct a number of his mistakes.

If Orlando changes his mind and jumps ship, Herman isn't capable of leading the program to even six wins next year. Tom seems to not understand the offense is worse at the end of the season that it was at the beginning of the season. Save and except Michael Dickson, the program has no special teams capability. Tim Beck is incapable of strategizing.

The problem here is Tom Herman. Either he grows as a head coach and starts understanding success is less about being the smartest man in the room than it is about being the quickest man in the room to recognize and correct his mistakes, or he fails worst than Charlie Strong.

The shitshow we saw last night was predictable from the beginning of the season. Tom Herman either needs to change, or he will continue to be the source of his own problems. Generally people who suffer from self-inflicted wounds aren't intelligent to understand the source of their problems. I still have seen nothing from Herman that indicates he understands the problems with the program. I guess we will see if he is smart enough to quit making bad mistakes and start learning how to identify and self-correct.

7 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I stopped posting early this season, largely because I was hugely disappointed with Tom Herman's leadership, and I simply didn't want to hear Mr. Mensa was a genius and the program was on the precipice of greatness.

Early on, Herman showed some very disturbing tendencies to refuse to admit he was wrong and needed to self-correct. Horny and Leitao were both instances where Herman claimed he was smarter than anyone else on the planet and because the those decisions were his decisions, they couldn't be wrong decisions.

Well...we have now seen a full season of Tom Herman's decisions and, after watching his post-game press conference last night, he still doesn't seem to understand he has made a number of very wrong decisions and that he has needed to self-correct a number of his mistakes.

If Orlando changes his mind and jumps ship, Herman isn't capable of leading the program to even six wins next year. Tom seems to not understand the offense is worse at the end of the season that it was at the beginning of the season. Save and except Michael Dickson, the program has no special teams capability. Tim Beck is incapable of strategizing.

The problem here is Tom Herman. Either he grows as a head coach and starts understanding success is less about being the smartest man in the room than it is about being the quickest man in the room to recognize and correct his mistakes, or he fails worst than Charlie Strong.

The shitshow we saw last night was predictable from the beginning of the season. Tom Herman either needs to change, or he will continue to be the source of his own problems. Generally people who suffer from self-inflicted wounds aren't intelligent to understand the source of their problems. I still have seen nothing from Herman that indicates he understands the problems with the program. I guess we will see if he is smart enough to quit making bad mistakes and start learning how to identify and self-correct.

Why do I feel as if you were HOPING for failure for Herman as soon as he was hired? So now The stage is set to run him down and you pop back in? I’ll stand by Herman. Team plagued with injuries, no coach could take the line he had and win 10 games.  The one statement I will agree with is he needs Orlando. A lot more than Orlando needs Herman.

14 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

Why doesn't Herman call plays?  There are many college and pro coaches that do it. Is he too hard headed?

Also I absolutely hate the personnel decisions. The announcers said something last night about how Texas had no go to guy, maybe it's because we are constantly rotating guys in and out. I dont remember Houston doing that the last 2 years. It's hard to build a repor with 10 different guys. 

#FIRETIMBECK

Herman has stated that he does not feel comfortable calling plays from the field. He likes to be in the booth and that is not something he can do as the head coach. 

At the end of the day, it’s his offense and he has to fix it. Period. People hated on Sterlin Gilbert last season, but how many would give anything to have that kind of production this season? Yes, I know that offense had a Doak Walker Award Winner, but nearly every position has taken a step back this season. 

I’ll go into more detail on my offensive grades, but the receivers were terrible last night. I’ve seen high school receivers who have done a better job during the scramble drill than Texas receivers. How many times wasSam forced to scramble and throw the ball out of the bounds as 3 receivers stand near the sideline waving their hands in the air as a man is attached to their hip? Not good at all.

Daniel, I think you should refrain from writing these right after a game. Perhaps you intended you piece to sound amazingly critical, perhaps not, but I found it to be. 

Ellinger is a Freshman, and he will make Freshman Mistakes!  I think many of you forget that because he plays with a great deal of maturity most of the time. 

Our receivers, for the most part, play young. They play like they need more maturity and strength against college defenders so they can get separation. 

I’m not sure why there was a joilbreak, but one spot in the o-line repeatedly allowed a  rusher through. It’s really surprising Sam didn’t see the whole field. Right. 

As for Randolph Duke, if you ignore him, he will go away. 

I am as disappointed as all of you, but I like to look at things realistically.  Realistically,  Freshman make Freshman mistakes. Some less than others. Accept it, and don’t bitch about it unless there is a viable solution. 

Hook ‘em!

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

How ironic that this ass clown pops back up at basically the end of the season

13 minutes ago, java said:

Ignore him & he will go away. Unless someone quotes him, I don’t see his writing. Very handy tool, speaking of tools. 

Hook ‘em!

How do you do that? If ya don’t mind me asking 

There is a feature, I believe under preferences (on my phone right now). You can set up friends, etc. You can also set up those to ignore, including, posts, responses, the whole enchilada. 

It is easy to do. Just go to account settings, then preferences. Aaron can correct me if it has changed. 

Really eliminates stress!

Great read. Thanks Daniel. I saw a lot of steps being taken in the right direction this year. A lot of it dealing with the future. Facilities, recruiting, attitude, etc. Defense was lights out,  offense stunk. I want to see if TH does what Charlie didn't and that's replacing an underperforming coordinator. That will tell me a lot. For now the only difference between last year and this one is beating Kansas. Far below my expectations.

3 hours ago, DMAC said:

Yea its a shame that game seemed like 4.5 hour beatdown.  Hiring Beck was questionable at the time and after last night proves he was a bad hire by our Mensa TFH.  We have come full circle from losing to Maryland in the first game to finish it off by losing to Tech.

I dont understand what thi staff is doing with the rotation either.  Why did Shane come in for one series?  What was the purpose for it?  Why are we rotating RB's every 3 plays?

I love having an arrogant  head coach who was considered to be an offensive guru at tOSU and UH to now saying he cant call plays because he is not up in the box.  Orlando isnt up in the box.  So what good is TFH?  He has to take responsibility at some point and we must hold him to it.  He is a big boy and no one should feel sorry for him like most of us did "Good Guy" Charlie.

I told my wife at the start of the 4th Quarter we were going to lose.  You could see it coming.  Sure as shit it did.  I am not sure which is more embarrassing, feeling like we turned the corner last week or losing to a crappy Tech team?  Hit me with both.

Im disgusted and we deserve better than this shitshow after 4 years of proclaimed rebuilding and 8 of bad football.

I'm with you DMAC. I saw it coming as well. I was so disgusted I turned off the TV. The offensive line turned back into a pumpkin last night along with Beck. Mehringer probably is as much to blame as Beck because I thought the receivers did a poor job. Warehime is probably least to blame but I thought he could make chicken salad out of chicken s*it. This is so disappointing on so many levels. When will we ever feel good about a season again? 2009 was a long time ago.

Edit: And if I see continuous roll outs to the right when its the boundary side of the field, I'm going to gag myself with a Morning star (for all you D&D types)

2 hours ago, java said:

Ellinger is a Freshman, and he will make Freshman Mistakes!  I think many of you forget that because he plays with a great deal of maturity most of the time. 

I have said this many times and of course that is true but.....

Even a 4 yr old who burns their hand on hot plate learns to be apprehensive about touching it the 2nd time let alone the 4-5th time.

Sam has either thrown a pick six, pick in our endzone, pick on crucial game ending drives, thrown the ball away on 4th down, fumbled on the goaline all in one season.  USC, ou, OSU, WV, and now TT.   Might have missed one but damn QB's have to learn at some point.  We won one of those games.  Blame can be shared with Drew, Beck, TH, WR's and OL but Sam is the one with the ball. 

Its a very disturbing trend with Sam to make these mistakes repeatedly in the closing minutes.  Mistakes are a learning experience.  Repeated mistakes are proof he is not learning from them.  The freshmen excuse is valid especially in situations he hasnt been in or forcing a throw he shouldnt have made.  To make the same mistake repeatedly invalidates the freshmen inexperience excuse.  He has been in those situations before and has made those mistakes before, multiple times.