Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Sirhornsalot

Friday Night Lights – Playoffs Rd 1

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/11/17/simon-kenton-vs-trinity-louisville-kentucky-football-playoffs/875692001/

Trinity, Moore notch 28th straight win

(courtesy Cinncinatti.com)

LOUISVILLE – The Trinity Shamrocks showed why they are the favorite to repeat as Class 6A state champions. On Friday night against Simon Kenton, Trinity flexed its muscles at Marshall Stadium in another running-clock affair, defeating the visiting Pioneers 49-17 for its 28th straight victory.

Simon Kenton (11-2) did not match up to the high-powered Trinity offense throughout the night as the Shamrocks gained 555 yards on 84 plays.

Trinity scored touchdowns on its first five possessions, led by dual-threat wide receiver Rondale Moore. The University of Texas commit was explosive all night, scoring three times (one rushing, two receiving) and totaling 254 yards from scrimmage on just 20 touches.

Trinity senior wide receiver Rondale Moore scored on a 44-yard pass play in the opening minutes and caught another TD pass later in the first quarter. He scored his third touchdown on 10-yard sweep in the third quarter that made it 49-10.

While Moore was making defenders miss with shifty runs, Gereimah Smith set the tone on a night where Trinity won the time of possession battle by nearly six minutes. The junior running back worked between the tackles and bruised the Simon Kenton defense for two touchdowns and 103 yards on 19 carries, while quarterback Nick Bohn threw a pair of touchdowns to Nick Strothman to extend Trinity’s lead to 35-0 midway through the second quarter.

Simon Kenton hung around, though, becoming just the second Kentucky school (Campbell County) to find the end zone twice this season against a Trinity defense that posted six shutouts.

“I’m really proud of the toughness we showed,” said Simon Kenton head coach Jeff Marksberry. “We dug deep. That’s who we are. We ask them to be great teammates and you could see that in the second half. What we’re about really came out.”

Both the Pioneers’ touchdowns came on passing scores from quarterback Matt Shearer to senior Fisher Hayden, a duo that connected for three scores combined in Simon Kenton’s playoff wins over Jeffersontown and Ballard.

Shearer had to overcome the constant pressure of the Trinity defensive front that resulted in five sacks, multiple knockdowns and a pair of forced fumbles.

“He can take a lot of hits, he’s a big guy. He’s a tough guy, too,” said Hayden. “We trusted him all year and he came through in big situations and we love him. This just wasn’t our night.”

“He knew it was going to be tough sledding. Their D-line is some of the best I’ve seen,” Marksberry said. “We found a way to get him some time and make a few plays and we put 17 points on the board and I’m really, really proud of that.”

Hayden’s three-yard touchdown with 11 seconds left in the first half put the Pioneers on the board. It also snapped Simon Kenton’s career scoring drought against the Shamrocks. In four previous playoff losses (’01, ’05, ’08, ’11) the Pioneers were blanked by a combined score of 232-0.

Friday marked the second straight year Simon Kenton was bounced in the Class 6A quarterfinals, losing to Lafayette last season.

“I am so proud of them. This is a very special group of seniors,” Marksberry said. “I learned a lot from them and they shouldn’t be ashamed of anything they’ve done. They really proved some of the things we believe in. I’m really gonna miss them.”

Trinity moves on to play Central Hardin next Friday for a chance to play for its 25th state championship.