Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Five Thoughts Following The Win Over Kansas

When the line came out for this game I thought it was pretty generous (-33.5) given Texas’ inability to blow teams out with a deficient offense. Early on it looked like the Longhorns were on their way to proving me wrong and running the Jayhawks out of DKR, but of course as with all other things regarding this team it didn’t go according to plan.

After a fast and promising start, the offense predictably begin to sputter and went in a funk for long periods of time and the defense conceded a couple of long touchdown drives and gave up a bad garbage time score with little resistance. It’s a win, but it was far from pretty and there are few things in particular that frustrated me as the game unfolded that I will get into.

With that said lets get into my thoughts following the win over the Jayhawks

·         Wins are wins, but …

I’m sure it felt good for the players and coaches to get this win after the debacle in Lawrence in 2016. While it’s great that order was restored in a sense with tonight’s victory, these are games that Texas is not only expected to win, but they are expected to win by a large margin without any kind of suspense to it.

Despite leading for the entire ball game, there were several times where Kansas was close to making it a ball game and the Longhorns seemingly couldn’t get out of their own way. It took some heroic efforts in some cases and Kansas making errors of their own for Texas to maintain control of this one and that was with KU’s quarterback putting a few turnovers on a platter and nearly throwing a couple more.

I hate I have to nitpick after a win like this, but Kansas is not a good football team and there were stretches where it looked and felt like they were outplaying Texas. Texas may have won the game, but this is one I feel like will leave a bad taste in their mouths all things considered.

·         There’s no rhyme or reason to what Texas does offensively

We are in the home stretch of the season now and I still can’t tell you what Texas’ identity is on offensive and each week I keep trying to figure out what the offensive staff and play caller are seeing and doing up in the booth during games. For instance, it was clear that Daniel Young and Toneil Carter were rolling and Kansas was having a hard time stopping them. So what does the offensive brain trust up in the booth do? They go away from both of them for long stretches and start airing the ball out. I just don’t understand it.

I get that Carter put the ball on the deck and I know ball security is important, but at this point in the season there is no reason for the staff not to be getting both young backs as many carries as possible. When you’ve struggled mightily to get a consistent run game going all year it makes absolutely no sense to me to abandon it when you finally got it working to a degree.

Another thing that bugged me was the random usage of Sam Ehlinger tonight. What was the point of rolling him out there tonight? You randomly inserted him into the lineup early on in the red zone for the touchdown pass to Cade Brewer, then we won’t see him again until garbage time when the game finally in control.

So he was healthy enough to come in early in the game to take some meaningful snaps, but he wasn’t when the offense started sputtering for stretches? My first thought when we saw him briefly was that the coaches were trying to preserve his health, but if that was the case then why insert him when you did for the touchdown pass? I love to get some clarity on this, but I’m sure we will get coach speak and not a real answer.

·         I’m offended by how bad the offensive line is at times

As a former offensive lineman it’s been painful to watch the Texas offensive line perform this year. It doesn’t matter what kind of protection the offensive coaches call, they find ways to bust it or allow pressure. I saw Zach Shackleford let a late blitzer run right past him in pass protection tonight when he wasn’t even locked up on anyone. I saw the offensive line allow Buechele to be pressured and hit on multiple occasions on sprint outs, which are plays designed to move the pocket and help your offensive line when they struggle with regular drop back protections.

It gets better though. How many times did we hear the broadcast mention the offensive line allowing pressures on max protections when there were only two receivers going out in routes? It happened at least three times unless I’m misremembering things and that’s the case it’s embarrassing as hell for that unit. If you can’t protect your quarterback in max protection then you as a unit need to take a very long look in the mirror because there ain’t much more your coordinator can do to help you out.

·         Kris Boyd….

I feel like it has become a weekly occurrence for me to witness number two on defense to do something that makes me talk about him in a negative light. I hate singling him out because I think he has the tools to be a good player, but I need both hands at this point for the bone head plays Boyd has racked up this season.

Whether its 15 yard penalties, mental lapses, plays left unmade, or a fumble on special teams, Boyd finds a way to make mistakes that hurt the team. The unfortunate part is that he is going to be under the microscope even more now with Holton Hill being suspended for the rest of the season. There’s no way around putting him out there right now and your options behind him either aren’t ready or much better.

·         Antwuan Davis and Jason Hall stepped up

I want to end this thing on a positive note, so I’m going to highlight the play of two seniors that deserve it. Both Davis and Hall haven’t played a bunch this year, but they both made the most of their opportunities this evening in DKR. Davis alone reeled in two interceptions (returned one for a touchdown) and also recovered a muffed punt, while Hall also picked off Carter Stanley and dished out some big hits that made Longhorns remember why they got excited about him early on his career.

The chances for these two have been few and far between, but they are at least making the most of them and they definitely put their team in a much better position to win this one tonight. Here’s hoping they got two more games like tonight left in the tank because they are going to be needed against West Virginia and Texas Tech.

The Longhorn are now sitting at 5-5 and need  win over the Mountaineers on the road or Red Raiders at home to get bowl eligible. Neither are going to be layups and both teams are capable of putting up crooked numbers on offense. This team is going to have to leave it all out there these final two weeks or they are looking at their third straight bowl-less season. I can’t believe I just typed that.

Bring on the Mountaineers.

Good points, all. 

The use of Sam was a head scratcher. Toeneil gets one carry for a TD burst. And disappears. 

I try to stay in my lane and not dog the coaches, but I'll be damned if I have a clue what we're trying to establish offensively. And that's with full acknowledgement our OL is substandard. 

6 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Another thing that bugged me was the random usage of Sam Ehlinger tonight. What was the point of rolling him out there tonight?

Exactly. It did nothing but upset what little rhythm there was. Go with one or the other, not both.

I couldnt figure that out for the life of me what the hell

7 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Forgot to mention the fact that they finally used LJ Humphrey in the wildcat again. Haven’t seen him back there since Maryland. 

Wild cat doesnt look so bad with Lil J.  The kid is a gem.

Sam's been out so they wanted him to get a little work without being in a pressure situation. It was an 11 yard drive and if that interrupted the flow of our offense, we have bigger issues. 

I can hear it know. If Herman didn't let Sam play some and Shane got hurt, everyone one would be "See, he's rusty! Why didn't he get Sam some playing time before this!?".

That was by no means pretty, especially against Kansas. But I'll take an ugly victory over a shoulda/coulda/woulda-defeat. At the end of the week, we're 1-0 even if it is against Kansas.

Eventually, the defense was going to have a game in which they don't play lights-out. Don't know the reason, if it was a lack of focus or anything else, but we tackled poorly at times and didn't finished like we have done so far this season, especially in 3rd down situations. As a result, the D didn't got off the field as soon and as much as they have done the past couple of weeks. Still we managed to create 3 TOs on D, including 1 pick six. We could've played better defensively but I think the unit as a whole will bounce back the next weeks. 

On the offense, I really don't know what to say. It's shameful when you max protect and still have free rushers getting to the QB in a hurry and this does not happen once, but repeatedly. I really hope we get Connor back next week, because we need him badly. LT is our biggest liability right now, I think if we get that fixed we might make an instant jump offensively. Tristan seems to either get beat or commit a penalty on every play. I liked CW3 in the H-back, I think this will help our running game going forward. Porter wasn't able to get anything going again, I think he averaged under 2 YPC, just keep feeding the ball to Young and Carter. And Shane needs to learn to throw it away when there is nothing there. I think he basically sacked himself twice because he tried to get something going with he legs but ran straight into the rush. Plus, his INT reminded me a lot of his Baylor INT, pretty much the same mistake, he needs to get that fixed. 

Special teams pretty much the same old story. Punting great, forcing one TO as well. Rest, not so much. I think you stick with Becker going forward, I really felt for him because his miss was super close and he had great air under the ball. Not a bad kick, but still another miss. I would've liked to see them going for the kick in the second half once in a while just to try and get some confidence in the kicking game. Kick returns pretty much summed up our special teams play. Kris Boyd had a nice return at first and then managed to fumble his second. It just seems that for every good play the kid makes, he manages to f**k another one up. 

In total, I think we got the W and this is what should matter most right now. 

On another note, lets have a look at our two QBs passing statistics:

Individual Passing Statistics
# Player GP Rating COMP ATT INT % YDS TD Long AVG/G
11 Ehlinger, Sam 6 125.80 109 194 4 56.19 % 1428 7 90 238.00
7 Buechele, Shane 6 130.18 125 190 4 65.79 % 1316 6 49 219.33

Although some have pointed out Sam's lower completion % (56.19 vs. 65.79) he still manages to get more yards per attempt (7.36 vs. 6.93). Just throwing it out there: I think if Connor is healthy you start Shane, if he isn't I probably would take a shot with Sam.

9 hours ago, streettopeschel said:

Good points, all. 

The use of Sam was a head scratcher. Toeneil gets one carry for a TD burst. And disappears. 

I try to stay in my lane and not dog the coaches, but I'll be damned if I have a clue what we're trying to establish offensively. And that's with full acknowledgement our OL is substandard. 

Right there with you.

We get the ball with 10:32 to go at our 32. Pass for 18 to the 50. Porter rips off a "breathtaking" 2 yard run. Carter with back-to-back runs of 7 and 4 yards. Porter comes back in and has back-to-back "breathtaking" 2 yards runs. 

Porter ends the game with 8 yards on 5 carries. Carter with 3 carries for 34 yards. 

WTH are we doing? I'm pretty much a dumbass when it comes to being a football expert but even I can see that there's no way Porter should get more carries than Carter. 

You know I am totally puzzled about the use and non use of certain guys !! I am going to observe till season end  before I judge w/the rest of you But  I will say this not blown away by Herman YET . Hope my gut is right and we will roll in '18 ! Will admit  I thought we would be a 8-9 win team this year--WRONG two years in a row now --Guess I am getting old.

10 minutes ago, Royal 60 said:

You know I am totally puzzled about the use and non use of certain guys !! I am going to observe till season end  before I judge w/the rest of you But  I will say this not blown away by Herman YET . Hope my gut is right and we will roll in '18 ! Will admit  I thought we would be a 8-9 win team this year--WRONG two years in a row now --Guess I am getting old.

8 wins is still possible

27 minutes ago, Royal 60 said:

I do not feel the same in any form or fashion... Herman took over a team that’s went 5-7 two straight seasons and lost to Kansas.... he instilled heart and determination in these kids like CS never could. They came to play 100% every game and  fought tooth and nail in 3 games that no one in the nation gave UT a prayer in. I do believe we end up 7-5 and then a bowl win. I was predicting 8-4  regular season but Maryland screwed that up. Herman has proved something to me. With al the injuries in the trenches this season still points up in my book. UT still has #2 recruiting class in the nation, pair that with good coaching and experience in the trenches. Watch out 2018 season..

I to let the “close” ALMOST wins get to me with this coaching staff. But in reality I didn’t expect them to win those when I thought of Texas football in July..... being so close will do that to ya.

36 minutes ago, HORNfromETX said:

8 wins is still possible

Hope I'm wrong, but after last night I see WVU and TT rolling this team in an ugly way. I'm aware of the injuries, dismissals, youth etc, but this O (mostly because of the OL) is abysmal. I just hope it improves greatly before next season so we can get out of the dark ages of UT football.

2 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

Hope I'm wrong, but after last night I see WVU and TT rolling this team in an ugly way. I'm aware of the injuries, dismissals, youth etc, but this O (mostly because of the OL) is abysmal. I just hope it improves greatly before next season so we can get out of the dark ages of UT football.

Have you not seen the Tech DL this year? Tackling dummies are more formidable. We're going to think we have a great running game when we play them. It will be an illusion. lol

We'll beat Tech.

WVU – depends on who shows up in Morgantown. The team that played OSU to overtime? Or the team that made Kansas look like D1?

On Ehlinger, Herman said in his postgame presser that the coaches were going to use him on one series in the game - he even said the plan was to use him on the 4th series, which they did.  He wasn't going to play any more than that unless absolutely necessary.  

Herman followed that up by saying it had been 21 days since he had real game snaps and it wouldn't be fair to throw him into a situation like that.

While Ehlinger was cleared to play and no longer in concussion protocol, he apparently is suffering from an inner ear issue.  Not sure if it is a separate issue or a byproduct of the head injury sustained 3 weeks ago, but probably a good thing he didn't play much last night.  He needs to fully heal and be ready to play in Morgantown. 

1 minute ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Have you not seen the Tech DL this year? Tackling dummies are more formidable. We're going to think we have a great running game when we play them. It will be an illusion. lol

We'll beat Tech.

WVU – depends on who shows up in Morgantown. The team that played OSU to overtime? Or the team that made Kansas look like D1?

I've watched all of TT's games I believe and most of WVU's too. I've also watched our Horns OL. I've never seen a worse O than ours, but I'd happily admit my forecast was wrong should the Horns pull it off. .......P S....I absolutely hate TT.

55 minutes ago, okiehorn said:

This have anything to do with the other post you mentioned? Bout the coach and “sock water”

I don’t think so. It was just something I saw on Twitter. I also think my previous  post could have been the ramblings of an upset fan.