Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Five Thoughts Following The Win Over Kansas

3 minutes ago, java said:

I think the Staff did several things, Daniel. I think they ‘Road-tested’ a few players who had been injured. He mentioned Carter had had bursitis. I think they ran him just enough to see if it would flare up. I think Cuney played quite a bit (may be wrong on that), so took Shack out for a spin. Gave Sam enough reps to see how he would feel.  See where this is going?  I may be very wrong, but I think Herman was carefully testing the water with players who have been injured. 

May be wrong, but that’s the way it appeared to me, and the psychology behind coaching decisions fascinates me. I believe Tom was playing Chess against Kansas  critics be damned

we will see. 

Interesting thoughts and quite plausible. 

I'll add my 2 cents worth. Herman and his coaching staff are smarter than the "internet armchair experts" give him, and them, credit for. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

A good/great back will always make an offensive line right at the end of the day. Did he have some big holes to run thru? Sure. But go back and count number of times that wasn’t necessarily the case or when he had to make guys miss behind the LOS. 

I’m not disputing the the regression or the lack of progression at all. Shack is still an underclassmen and has dealt with a several injuries in both years. We can still pull the youth card there to a degree for him. 

I've never seen a great back with a bad offensive line. 

Ive seen several good backs look great with a good offensive line. 

A great offensive line can make any back good. Look at Bama. 

6 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

Interesting thoughts and quite plausible. 

I'll add my 2 cents worth. Herman and his coaching staff are smarter than the "internet armchair experts" give him, and them, credit for. 

While this is undoubtable.  I can think of a few things which contradict that.

Freshmen back plays vs San Jose State and do very well.  Porter and Warren are ineffective for the next 4 games.  Fans start crying for freshmen only to be disappointed week after week.  Herman continuously says we have to get them more involved but nothing they are pretty much MIA until game 8-9.

Lil J in wildcat.  Tried it week 1-2 and was successful.  Never to be seen again until week 9.

Hager MIA in favor of Hughes most of the year until game 7?

Yea I know its petty stuff but the fans are not dumb.  Some of these things are obvious yet remain a mystery why it has taken 9 games for the staff to see it.

18 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Yea but how many backs are Barry Sanders.   He made everyone look foolish.  Hall of Fame stuff

He said he’d never see a great back with a bad line and I named one that quickly came to mind. It was criminal that Detroit didn’t put better pieces around him. 

6 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

He said he’d never see a great back with a bad line and I named one that quickly came to mind. It was criminal that Detroit didn’t put better pieces around him. 

Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover were multiple year all pro selections. Detroit had an average line.

8 hours ago, DMAC said:

While this is undoubtable.  I can think of a few things which contradict that.

Freshmen back plays vs San Jose State and do very well.  Porter and Warren are ineffective for the next 4 games.  Fans start crying for freshmen only to be disappointed week after week.  Herman continuously says we have to get them more involved but nothing they are pretty much MIA until game 8-9.

Lil J in wildcat.  Tried it week 1-2 and was successful.  Never to be seen again until week 9.

Hager MIA in favor of Hughes most of the year until game 7?

Yea I know its petty stuff but the fans are not dumb.  Some of these things are obvious yet remain a mystery why it has taken 9 games for the staff to see it.

I will admit that I have had this exact thought many times this year. 

3 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover were multiple year all pro selections. Detroit had an average line.

I think the larger point is that it takes a rare, rare talent like.... Barry Sanders to be productive at RB with a poor offensive line.  I would submit that Eric Metcalf did it here at Texas. 

The line played much better last year, with many of the same players.  Foreman was not the totality of the difference.  Heck, Warren III looked like a future star behind last year's line / scheme. 

I personally don't understand why the OL coach / scheme doesn't receive a bit more scrutiny.  I'm not saying "fire them" and Daniel does make salient points.  We just seem misguided by who we scrutinize sometimes. 

3 hours ago, 83Dee said:

I think the larger point is that it takes a rare, rare talent like.... Barry Sanders to be productive at RB with a poor offensive line.  I would submit that Eric Metcalf did it here at Texas. 

The line played much better last year, with many of the same players.  Foreman was not the totality of the difference.  Heck, Warren III looked like a future star behind last year's line / scheme. 

I personally don't understand why the OL coach / scheme doesn't receive a bit more scrutiny.  I'm not saying "fire them" and Daniel does make salient points.  We just seem misguided by who we scrutinize sometimes. 

Exactly!

I firmly believe Foreman wouldn't have much more success if any this year than our current backs. I also believe some of our returning lineman from last year were not any more capable last year than this year.

We may not have a great RB or a serviceable line but what we are doing, scheme wise, is magnifying our deficiencies.

On 11/13/2017 at 9:39 AM, 83Dee said:

I give a pass to play-calling because it is really tough to design a play behind five turn styles.  However, the player rotation is mind-boggling?  We played four running backs (off the top of my head), so I'll stick with that.  Can anyone begin to tell me the thinking behind this?  Is this a product of the participation trophy psychology... if you practice every day you get to play?  Often times we start a running back and he is out of the game after one or two plays.... why?  I think I heard Herman say the asst coaches are responsible for who goes in the game.... well please use that MENSA mind we have been hearing about and correct this or rip that responsibility away from them! 

Why would any stud running back considering coming here for a guaranteed..... 7 carries per game regardless of how successful those plays were? 

Drayton was brought in as a badass RB coach with Ohio St and NFL pedigree.  I'm guessing he makes the call on who is playing or not.  Not impressed thus far needless to say.

1 hour ago, MikeV73 said:

Drayton was brought in as a badass RB coach with Ohio St and NFL pedigree.  I'm guessing he makes the call on who is playing or not.  Not impressed thus far needless to say.

Beck confirmed in Q&A a few weeks ago he goes with whomever Stan puts in.

4 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

Exactly!

I firmly believe Foreman wouldn't have much more success if any this year than our current backs. I also believe some of our returning lineman from last year were not any more capable last year than this year.

We may not have a great RB or a serviceable line but what we are doing, scheme wise, is magnifying our deficiencies.

No running back on this year's team is even close to being as good as D. Foreman. 

8 minutes ago, North Texas Golfer said:

No running back on this year's team is even close to being as good as D. Foreman. 

I firmly agree with this.... but I would have added No one on this years team is even as close YET... these freshman could be the real deal with another year under there belt

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Royal 60 said:

You know I am totally puzzled about the use and non use of certain guys !! I am going to observe till season end  before I judge w/the rest of you But  I will say this not blown away by Herman YET . Hope my gut is right and we will roll in '18 ! Will admit  I thought we would be a 8-9 win team this year--WRONG two years in a row now --Guess I am getting old.

It's not because your getting old. You and I keep expecting the longhorns to become a great problem again.

It's amazing that eight years ago we were playing to be NC for the second time in four years. Since then we are 51-47 which makes us a medicore football program. We may be the Jones in money, but on the football field we are the Smiths.