Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Five Thoughts Following The Win Over Kansas

39 minutes ago, Aaron Carrara said:

On Ehlinger, Herman said in his postgame presser that the coaches were going to use him on one series in the game - he even said the plan was to use him on the 4th series, which they did.  He wasn't going to play any more than that unless absolutely necessary.  

Herman followed that up by saying it had been 21 days since he had real game snaps and it wouldn't be fair to throw him into a situation like that.

While Ehlinger was cleared to play and no longer in concussion protocol, he apparently is suffering from an inner ear issue.  Not sure if it is a separate issue or a byproduct of the head injury sustained 3 weeks ago, but probably a good thing he didn't play much last night.  He needs to fully heal and be ready to play in Morgantown. 

If Sam is still dealing with an inner ear issue why risk playing him at all Saturday?  Not a question for you Aaron, just my thoughts.  Years ago Sidney Crosby from the Pittsburgh Penguins missed almost a season with reoccurring concussions and symptoms.  It was later reported that he was not having long standing concussion symptoms but some sort of neck or inner ear thing.  Always sounded a bit shady to me especially seeing him taking brutal hits every game he played.  I'll check back after I get a medical degree and a specialty in neurology or ENT.:D

44 minutes ago, dillohorn said:

I've watched all of TT's games I believe and most of WVU's too. I've also watched our Horns OL. I've never seen a worse O than ours, but I'd happily admit my forecast was wrong should the Horns pull it off. .......P S....I absolutely hate TT.

Texas tech held Kansas to 19.   We held Kansas to 27.   Using the phrase held Kansas doesnt quite sound right.  Then again tech gave up 24 to Baylor and we smothered rapeU.  

Tech offense kind of scares me especially with Hill out the rest of the year.  Its hard to judge our defense without Hill when all you have is Kansas putting up 27 on our defense.

I think we win the next 2 games if Sam plays and we actually run TC and Young.  This team seems to play up to down to the competition

3 hours ago, okiehorn said:

I do not feel the same in any form or fashion... Herman took over a team that’s went 5-7 two straight seasons and lost to Kansas.... he instilled heart and determination in these kids like CS never could. They came to play 100% every game and  fought tooth and nail in 3 games that no one in the nation gave UT a prayer in. I do believe we end up 7-5 and then a bowl win. I was predicting 8-4  regular season but Maryland screwed that up. Herman has proved something to me. With al the injuries in the trenches this season still points up in my book. UT still has #2 recruiting class in the nation, pair that with good coaching and experience in the trenches. Watch out 2018 season..

I to let the “close” ALMOST wins get to me with this coaching staff. But in reality I didn’t expect them to win those when I thought of Texas football in July..... being so close will do that to ya.

Totally agree with your first paragraph. Well said.

IMHO, the winning is over for 2017.   

Texas gave up 20 with the starting defense on the field.  Too much and D Davis got picked on.

The last TD was with Wilbon, Demarco Boyd, Freeman and others getting zero pressure in a prevent with freshmen Thompson getting beat for a TD and called for PI.  He was on him, still has a lot to learn though.  Minutes he needs.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, Daniel Seahorn said:

·       ·         I’m offended by how bad the offensive line is at times

As a former offensive lineman it’s been painful to watch the Texas offensive line perform this year. It doesn’t matter what kind of protection the offensive coaches call, they find ways to bust it or allow pressure. I saw Zach Shackleford let a late blitzer run right past him in pass protection tonight when he wasn’t even locked up on anyone. I saw the offensive line allow Buechele to be pressured and hit on multiple occasions on sprint outs, which are plays designed to move the pocket and help your offensive line when they struggle with regular drop back protections.

It gets better though. How many times did we hear the broadcast mention the offensive line allowing pressures on max protections when there were only two receivers going out in routes? It happened at least three times unless I’m misremembering things and that’s the case it’s embarrassing as hell for that unit. If you can’t protect your quarterback in max protection then you as a unit need to take a very long look in the mirror because there ain’t much more your coordinator can do to help you out.

I hate to do this, because I feel unqualified from my recliner in DFW, but it seems that we sometimes don't mention the elephant in the room?  We rail on play calling, and who is starting at QB.... how about the person charged with coaching up the offensive line?  I get Kerksetter is a true freshman and Okafor was moved to tackle - perhaps justifiable excuses for struggling.  Well, how about Shackelford, McMillan Nicholson and Vahe?  These were all part of an offensive line last year that performed very well.  I would suggest to you that all  have regressed and two seem to be falling off a cliff! 

Is the scheme that much more difficult?  Have they all ordered a jumbo plate of Give-up?  What the heck is going on?  I know they don't have numbers.... but even so the performance is so bad I have to ask why a couple of them are even on the field any more?   

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, Daniel Seahorn said:

·         There’s no rhyme or reason to what Texas does offensively

We are in the home stretch of the season now and I still can’t tell you what Texas’ identity is on offensive and each week I keep trying to figure out what the offensive staff and play caller are seeing and doing up in the booth during games. For instance, it was clear that Daniel Young and Toneil Carter were rolling and Kansas was having a hard time stopping them. So what does the offensive brain trust up in the booth do? They go away from both of them for long stretches and start airing the ball out. I just don’t understand it.

I get that Carter put the ball on the deck and I know ball security is important, but at this point in the season there is no reason for the staff not to be getting both young backs as many carries as possible. When you’ve struggled mightily to get a consistent run game going all year it makes absolutely no sense to me to abandon it when you finally got it working to a degree.

Another thing that bugged me was the random usage of Sam Ehlinger tonight. What was the point of rolling him out there tonight? You randomly inserted him into the lineup early on in the red zone for the touchdown pass to Cade Brewer, then we won’t see him again until garbage time when the game finally in control.

So he was healthy enough to come in early in the game to take some meaningful snaps, but he wasn’t when the offense started sputtering for stretches? My first thought when we saw him briefly was that the coaches were trying to preserve his health, but if that was the case then why insert him when you did for the touchdown pass? I love to get some clarity on this, but I’m sure we will get coach speak and not a real answer.

·        

·        

I give a pass to play-calling because it is really tough to design a play behind five turn styles.  However, the player rotation is mind-boggling?  We played four running backs (off the top of my head), so I'll stick with that.  Can anyone begin to tell me the thinking behind this?  Is this a product of the participation trophy psychology... if you practice every day you get to play?  Often times we start a running back and he is out of the game after one or two plays.... why?  I think I heard Herman say the asst coaches are responsible for who goes in the game.... well please use that MENSA mind we have been hearing about and correct this or rip that responsibility away from them! 

Why would any stud running back considering coming here for a guaranteed..... 7 carries per game regardless of how successful those plays were? 

5 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I hate to do this, because I feel unqualified from my recliner in DFW, but it seems that we sometimes don't mention the elephant in the room?  We rail on play calling, and who is starting at QB.... how about the person charged with coaching up the offensive line?  I get Kerksetter is a true freshman and Okafor was moved to tackle - perhaps justifiable excuses for struggling.  Well, how about Shackelford, McMillan Nicholson and Vahe?  These were all part of an offensive line last year that performed very well.  I would suggest to you that all  have regressed and two seem to be falling off a cliff! 

Is the scheme that much more difficult?  Have they all ordered a jumbo plate of Give-up?  What the heck is going on?  I know they don't have numbers.... but even so the performance is so bad I have to ask why a couple of them are even on the field any more?   

vahe failed to engage "anyone" on several occasions Saturday and it has been a trend.  The OL is the worst unit in CFB. 

1 minute ago, TexExSpur said:

vahe failed to engage, anyone on several occasions Saturday and it has been a trend.  The OL is the worst unit in CFB. 

I would like to scorn you for useless hyperbole; but I can't. 

12 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I’ve said it before, but last year’s offensive scheme and D’Onta Foreman will make the group upfront look a lot better. 

Neither Kerstetter or Okafor should be playing tackle and ideally they probably are still in the incubator with redshirt years. Nicholson has never been very good and has been a liability in pass pro dating back to last year. McMillon came out of nowhere to overachieve and seems to have come back down to earth to what we thought he was. Shack has been injured for most of his time in Austin, but I still have hope since he’s still only a sophomore. In Vahe’s case it looks like he peaked early and hasn’t built upon his freshman year. His regression isn’t exclusive to this year as he struggled last year too. Run blocking was his strength and even that has become an issue for him. Been disappointing to say the least. 

Warehime isn’t off the hook completely because he’s responsible for his unit’s performance, but a lot of it is explainable to a degree at least for me. There hasn’t been any continuity for this group over the past  several years and that’s huge for an offensive line more than anything. 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

I’ve said it before, but last year’s offensive scheme and D’Onta Foreman will make the group upfront look a lot better. 

Neither Kerstetter or Okafor should be playing tackle and ideally they probably are still in the incubator with redshirt years. Nicholson has never been very good and has been a liability in pass pro dating back to last year. McMillon came out of nowhere to overachieve and seems to have come back down to earth to what we thought he was. Shack has been injured for most of his time in Austin, but I still have hope since he’s still only a sophomore. In Vahe’s case it looks like he peaked early and hasn’t built upon his freshman year. His regression isn’t exclusive to this year as he struggled last year too. Run blocking was his strength and even that has become an issue for him. Been disappointing to say the least. 

Warehime isn’t off the hook completely because he’s responsible for his unit’s performance, but a lot of it is explainable to a degree at least for me. There hasn’t been any continuity for this group over the past  several years and that’s huge for an offensive line more than anything. 

Probably as good an explanation as you will find anywhere on any site. 

16 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

I give a pass to play-calling because it is really tough to design a play behind five turn styles.  However, the player rotation is mind-boggling?  We played four running backs (off the top of my head), so I'll stick with that.  Can anyone begin to tell me the thinking behind this?  Is this a product of the participation trophy psychology... if you practice every day you get to play?  Often times we start a running back and he is out of the game after one or two plays.... why?  I think I heard Herman say the asst coaches are responsible for who goes in the game.... well please use that MENSA mind we have been hearing about and correct this or rip that responsibility away from them! 

Why would any stud running back considering coming here for a guaranteed..... 7 carries per game regardless of how successful those plays were? 

The offensive line makes it tough, but it still doesn’t explain the lack of flow of the play calling when the offense seems to find things that work. 

I haven’t been able to figure the RB rotation out just yet. The only thing I can come up with is that the freshman struggle in pass protection, but at this point you need to get them as many reps as possible and ride it out because it’s obvious they are the best runners you have. 

Add Keaontay Ingram to Carter and Young and I really like that threesome for Texas in 2018. 

The staff also played Kansas like it was Kansas:

The 22 (current) starters saw action plus:

Texas: 1E-Ehlinger, Sam, 1D-Dickson, Michae, 1-Burt, John, 3-Foreman, Armant, 4R-Rowland, Joshua, 6-Duvernay, Devin, 9-Johnson, Collin, 15-Brown, Chris, 17-Hemphill, Reggi, 21-Porter, Kyle, 24-Bonney, John, 27-Duvernay, Donov, 29-Thompson, Josh, 30-Carter, Toneil, 32-Roach, Malcolm, 35-Freeman, Edwin, 36-Boyd, Demarco, 38-Becker, Mitchel, 40-Hughes, Naashon, 42-Bimage, Marqez, 45-Wheeler, Anthon, 49-Graham, Ta'Quon, 53-Holbrook, Jak, 56-Shackelford, Za, 59-Smith, Kaleb, 69-Allsup, Austin, 71-Urquidez, J.P., 75-Nickelson, Tris, 80-Brewer, Cade, 84-Humphrey, Lil'J, 91-Chisholm, Jamar, 94-Wilbon, Gerald, 97-Nelson, Chris.

1 hour ago, TexExSpur said:

Ok, maybe not the worst, but the worst in the Big 12 and almost the worst among Power 5. 

I was agreeing with you.... I don't think you were using hyperbole. 

Our O-Line is awful no doubt but the scheme, more specifically the formations, are exasperating the issue.

Daniel mentioned "max protection" and how we still cant create a clean pocket. In my opinion lining up in max protection is the worst thing our coaches could do at the moment. Max protection is bringing 9 players "in the box" including the QB. I've notice us doing it several ways this year utilizing two TE's, two RB's, H-backs, ect... The problem is what the defense can do in that scenario. They can always bring one more than you can account for with 8 blockers, they can drop someone from the LOS to cover and blitz someone lined up in coverage, they can play man on the two receivers with a safety over both and get a coverage sack. It just allows the defense too much flexibility and when that happens the blockers get confused. Our line struggles to block when they know who they are assigned.

Even when we have three or four receivers a couple of them are 5 yards from last man on the LOS. That's another player to potentially pressure the QB.

We need to keep 5 lineman, the QB, and RB "in" and get the other 4 players as far away as possible. Make the defense cover sideline to sideline. In almost every team sport the defense wants to do two things, take away time and space. Limiting time makes people play faster than they prefer and usually that causes people to make mistakes. Limiting space restricts your options and allows defenders to dictate what you do or where you go. When we bunch up around the ball we are conceding both time and space.

Regardless of scheme the formation is the only tool an offense has to move the defense where you want it. If you want to run inside move the defense outside. If you want to run outside move the defense inside. If you want to limit QB pressure move people away from the QB.

I could understand if we had a good offensive line, TE's, and H Backs that could impose their will on defenders but we don't. We have an ass load of receivers and two good QB's. When we lineup sideline to sideline the defense has to cover 2,400 sqft every 5 yards. That's tough for 6 defenders and using less than 6 is a big play waiting to happen. We may not be able to block 5 with 6 but at least we can see if they can cover 4 with 6. They don't seem to have a problem covering two while our eight are blocking.

6 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Makes sense for the most part but I disagree a bit about Foreman.  Foreman was a great back but he had some daylight to run.  Compared to now its terrible.  I doubt most backs could run for Foreman yardage in this system with this line.  

The OL play has regressed over the season.  That is very rare with 3-4 players being upper classmen.  We had the same players out there vs KState and Iowa State and it was NOT this bad. 

Outside of Okafor (when he actually plays) and Kerstetter this group is not inexpereinced Shack, Vahe, and McMillon are experienced.

The part I have hard time with how does an OL not improve but actually regress with the same players over 5 weeks.  

When you cant protect the QB in Max Protect vs KANSAS that is proof enough.

I have 2 questions, maybe someone here knows the answers.

1) Why didn't Heard play? Were they saving him for QB in case Shane got hurt?

2) How many total minutes were spent reviewing plays? There were a couple that seemed obvious but they were reviewed anyway.

20 minutes ago, DMAC said:

Makes sense for the most part but I disagree a bit about Foreman.  Foreman was a great back but he had some daylight to run.  Compared to now its terrible.  I doubt most backs could run for Foreman yardage in this system with this line.  

The OL play has regressed over the season.  That is very rare with 3-4 players being upper classmen.  We had the same players out there vs KState and Iowa State and it was NOT this bad. 

Outside of Okafor (when he actually plays) and Kerstetter this group is not inexpereinced Shack, Vahe, and McMillon are experienced.

The part I have hard time with how does an OL not improve but actually regress with the same players over 5 weeks.  

When you cant protect the QB in Max Protect vs KANSAS that is proof enough.

A good/great back will always make an offensive line right at the end of the day. Did he have some big holes to run thru? Sure. But go back and count number of times that wasn’t necessarily the case or when he had to make guys miss behind the LOS. 

I’m not disputing the the regression or the lack of progression at all. Shack is still an underclassmen and has dealt with a several injuries in both years. We can still pull the youth card there to a degree for him. 

10 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

I have 2 questions, maybe someone here knows the answers.

1) Why didn't Heard play? Were they saving him for QB in case Shane got hurt?

2) How many total minutes were spent reviewing plays? There were a couple that seemed obvious but they were reviewed anyway.

Heard has always been the emergency QB like Herman said at the beginning of the year. I truly believe they don’t want to play him there unless they absolutely have to. Take that how you will. 

I’m not sure on the second question, but like you said they spent way too much time reviewing plays that looked obvious live. 

Saw an article over on 247 with the PFF grades for our team. Actually both Kerstetter and McMillon were ranked in the top 10 with a high 70 for Kerstetter and a mid-80 grade for McMillon. Both together allowed 1 QB pressure (by Kerstetter) on 76 total pass pro snaps (38 each).

Although Kerstetter was overmatched at times during the season, the right side isn't our biggest problem. Bringing Conner back will do a great deal to solidify our left side again and IMO will also make Vahe look better again. 

Thus, we would only be left with our problems in the middle. 

19 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

A good/great back will always make an offensive line right at the end of the day. Did he have some big holes to run thru? Sure. But go back and count number of times that wasn’t necessarily the case or when he had to make guys miss behind the LOS. 

I’m not disputing the the regression or the lack of progression at all. Shack is still an underclassmen and has dealt with a several injuries in both years. We can still pull the youth card there to a degree for him. 

Believe me I am a Donte fan.  I was always bitching when J Gray got the start over Foreman.  Donte was quick, fast, and a human bowling ball with his weight.  There were times he had nothing there but always managed to get positive yards.  I remember throwing a fit when they put Gray in for a 4th down vs KState and we failed to convert because actually took Donte out for that play.   Made no sense at all.

You are right about Shack but he played most of the year last year.  He has bad ankles and that has been his question with him.  He has a tough attitude but sometimes I wonder if the ankles are the problem still when trying to push or hold leverage.

I think the Staff did several things, Daniel. I think they ‘Road-tested’ a few players who had been injured. He mentioned Carter had had bursitis. I think they ran him just enough to see if it would flare up. I think Cuney played quite a bit (may be wrong on that), so took Shack out for a spin. Gave Sam enough reps to see how he would feel.  See where this is going?  I may be very wrong, but I think Herman was carefully testing the water with players who have been injured. 

May be wrong, but that’s the way it appeared to me, and the psychology behind coaching decisions fascinates me. I believe Tom was playing Chess against Kansas  critics be damned

we will see.