Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
utparothed

Mack Brown for AD?

Saw this on Footballscoop.com...

Texas: Mack Brown is making a push to become the next Texas AD, according to Geoff Ketchum of Orangebloods. However, Ketchum reports that Longhorns stakeholders have reservations about Brown’s fitness for the position and that TCU’s Chris Del Conte — who worked with Tom Herman at Rice — is the name most commonly mentioned for the job. Former Longhorn football player Mike Perrin has served as UT’s long-term interim AD since 2015, and interviews are expected to begin in earnest early next year.

I think I'd be okay with this.  Mack's got a long history with the University of Texas and knows the culture and the pressure that comes with the position.  He's popular, is instantly recognizable and has had a bigger impact both on and off the field since the days of Darrel Royal.  He 's worked with the big money alum and, to the best of my limited knowledge, has a good relationship with most of them so he probably has a little insight on how best to manage them (to the extent they can be managed) and the money that they're willing to spend on athletics.  My only real concerns would be how he'd handle difficult personnel decisions...I think that personal loyalty has gotten in the way a time or two (Greg Davis comes to mind...).

Hell no on Mack Brown as AD. He started this eight years slide of mediocre UT football with his golf cart coaching.  When he was supposed to go back to Austin to be fired after the 2013 season, instead he went to Florida to recruit. No thank you.

Besides just because you can coach does not mean you will make you a successful AD. Look at Tom Osborne and Frank Broyles.

5 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

If Conte is NOT the first choice then someone doesn't know what they are doing.

Exactly.

Back in the day, it was popular for a head coach to move on, so to speak, to the AD spot. Football was the moneymaker and the former HC knew how to make football work.

Well, today's athletics are bit more complicated and the marketing of the program as well as revenue opportunities are things the AD has to be masterful at. Mack Brown's a fine man, but he doesn't have vision that even Herman has for the program. MB would keep a lot of alumni happy, would be a great CEO, but would be largely content with status quo because he simply doesn't understand the rest or what to do with it. MB was great at looking back. Not so great at looking forward. And what if he gets tired again and just says "F it" like he did with the football program?

I understand the hard feelings some of us have regarding Mack and his last years of coaching.

But I believe his best attributes are the exact ones needed to be a great A.D. And I would bet he wants to redeem himself. Don't sell Mack short when he is focused.

11 hours ago, North Texas Golfer said:

If Conte is NOT the first choice then someone doesn't know what they are doing.

This right here. Mack is a great man and is/would be a great ambassador for the University, but he is a complete unknown for a job of that magnitude. 

11 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

This right here. Mack is a great man and is/would be a great ambassador for the University, but he is a complete unknown for a job of that magnitude. 

I disagree that Mack Brown would be a complete unknown. We already know that the last four years, he didn't work as hard as could to keep the program going. Look how Saban built a machine at Alabama and how Mack Brown built the program at Texas or allowed it to crash and burn. 

I much rather hire a successful AD at another school then hire a college football coach to be a CEO of a corporation that has revenue of $185 million a year. Especially a former coach who had work ethic issues his last four years or more.

I also didn't appreciate his excuse for the 2010 season which was he couldn't focus over the heartbreak over losing Colt McCoy and losing to Alabama.  No thank  you to Mack.

11 hours ago, Bear19 said:

I understand the hard feelings some of us have regarding Mack and his last years of coaching.

But I believe his best attributes are the exact ones needed to be a great A.D. And I would bet he wants to redeem himself. Don't sell Mack short when he is focused.

I burst out laughing when I read your don't sell Mack short when he is focused. Thank you:lol:

2 minutes ago, primal defense said:

I burst out laughing when I read your don't sell Mack short when he is focused. Thank you:lol:

Well I did not burst out laughing when I read your take. You may be right.

I just have a little different opinion of the job Mack could do.

For any high profile critical position in an organization (such AD at UT), my money goes to the person with proven experience at that position when available. It isn't a guarantee of success, but it improves the odds.

There is an adage in business that hiring should always be accomplished with the goal to improve the average. Taking risks on the unproven can be very costly.

4 hours ago, primal defense said:

I disagree that Mack Brown would be a complete unknown. We already know that the last four years, he didn't work as hard as could to keep the program going. Look how Saban built a machine at Alabama and how Mack Brown built the program at Texas or allowed it to crash and burn. 

I much rather hire a successful AD at another school then hire a college football coach to be a CEO of a corporation that has revenue of $185 million a year. Especially a former coach who had work ethic issues his last four years or more.

I also didn't appreciate his excuse for the 2010 season which was he couldn't focus over the heartbreak over losing Colt McCoy and losing to Alabama.  No thank  you to Mack.

I say he is a complete unknown because it’s an entirely different job than being a coach. A lot more to it besides keeping donors happy, which is would probably be pretty good at. 

3 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

I say he is a complete unknown because it’s an entirely different job than being a coach. A lot more to it besides keeping donors happy, which is would probably be pretty good at. 

I understand with what you meant. I'm coming from that after Mack won the NC he had a lot of power to make changes and build the program like Saban did. He let the program slide and he doesn't deserve the AD job.

Let him have a statue.

Amazing I thought Manny was through when he left UT. He's been successful everywhere he's been except Texas.

Miami Hurricanes Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz named Semifinalist for Broyles Award

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/miami-hurricanes-defensive-coordinator-manny-diaz-named-semifinalist-for-broyles-award/ar-BBEKeN8

42 minutes ago, primal defense said:

Amazing I thought Manny was through when he left UT. He's been successful everywhere he's been except Texas.

Miami Hurricanes Defensive Coordinator Manny Diaz named Semifinalist for Broyles Award

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/more-sports/miami-hurricanes-defensive-coordinator-manny-diaz-named-semifinalist-for-broyles-award/ar-BBEKeN8

Makes you wonder what kind of a leash Mack had on him.

Mack would be a terrible choice as the AD for several reasons, not the least of them being his desire to have everyone like him. In a job like AD, not everyone is going to like you. It’s a given. 

Then there was Cleve. Need I say more?