Jump to content

Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign Up for FREE
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Seahorn

Depth Chart Note For OSU

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Has Dorian Leonard starting over Collin Johnson at XWR. Will be interested to hear the explanation on this one. 

Also has Breckyn Hager back at DE and Edwin Freemen as the backup at MAC. 

I'm ok with that if Collin takes it as a challenge and fights to regain his spot.  It was a difficult position, but he had a chance to make a go ahead TD catch in the 4th qtr that went right through his hands.  It was a well placed ball by Sam and Collin has to make that catch.  I'm not sure Dorian is more consistent, but I'm not at practice.  Collin has made the difficult catches, but has struggled somewhat with the easier ones.  He has to make those catches.  I know, easy for me to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They 3x1 with CJ by himself a lot. I would actually love to see the stats on how much they do it. Every time they do he gets a Double with an under/over.

 

If they are benching him for lack of production I would be pretty disappointed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Yes. Which while it hinders his production it at least puts four eyes on him instead of two. I’d at least keep him on the field for that. 

Agree.  Whats the logic by doing this? 

Do they believe Dorian can handle double teams better and whos to say they even double Dorian.  I doubt it.

If they doubling our best WR CJ then it should open it up for someone else.

This move doesnt make much sense unless he is doing something else we are not noticing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two thoughts on the CJ "benching." Herman referenced one in his presser. The receivers aren't doing a great job in the scramble drill right now, which wasn't a big deal when Buechele was at QB but with Ehlinger it is. It's impossible to know who's falling short without seeing the all-22, but arguably they all are. This is totally a guess, but maybe Collin's gotten frustrated with the double teams and is giving up on plays.

The more likely explanation is that it's because he's not making enough of his limited opportunities downfield. The scary thing about 6'6" receivers is they turn 50-50 balls into, like, 70-30 balls. Collin did this against USC, which is what earned him the frequent double teams, but to my recollection he hasn't done it since. When he gets single coverage — which does still happen, a lot — and the ball comes his way, he has to make something of it. He dropped a touchdown in the 4th quarter on a drive that ended with 0 points. It was good coverage and a tough catch, but that's why you throw fades to 6'6" receivers — the good ones make tough catches against good coverage. Drop enough of those — and I really want to stress that by 6'6", star receiver standards, this is a drop...

giphy.gif

— and defenses are going to stop double covering you. Texas isn't good enough to work methodically downfield; they need more explosive plays. If Leonard gets single coverage but comes down with one or two of those deep shots, it opens everything else up, and he's giving you something that Collin hasn't been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bridges nailed it. Its a hiccup in Johnson's production. Prolly just a move to remind him there's an expectation to be met every week. Leonard is deserving of the shot, IMO.

I don't think your 2nd team WR demands a double team. I think if anything the double team moves to Hemphill-Mapps, who just keeps making plays. At least that's where my attention would go.

Hemphill-Mapps is going to be a star. He has "it."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I think Bridges nailed it. Its a hiccup in Johnson's production. Prolly just a move to remind him there's an expectation to be met every week. Leonard is deserving of the shot, IMO.

I don't think your 2nd team WR demands a double team. I think if anything the double team moves to Hemphill-Mapps, who just keeps making plays. At least that's where my attention would go.

Hemphill-Mapps is going to be a star. He has "it."

Dont forget Lil Jordan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That non-catch above is really tough on CJ. The defender hits his arm, separating his hands right at the point of the catch, making the catch all but impossible. The only thing you could say is that CJ should have gotten better position somehow so that the defender would not have been able to hit his arm. 

I wonder if it's an attitude thing, as in CJ has attitude (in a good way IMO, like give me the f-ing ball) to burn and he may have shit-talked a little over the line and got a check up from the neck up. Rampant speculation of course. I have no idea.

I do think we have an deep well of receivers to tap / try, whatever the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ryan Bridges said:

I have two thoughts on the CJ "benching." Herman referenced one in his presser. The receivers aren't doing a great job in the scramble drill right now, which wasn't a big deal when Buechele was at QB but with Ehlinger it is. It's impossible to know who's falling short without seeing the all-22, but arguably they all are. This is totally a guess, but maybe Collin's gotten frustrated with the double teams and is giving up on plays.

The more likely explanation is that it's because he's not making enough of his limited opportunities downfield. The scary thing about 6'6" receivers is they turn 50-50 balls into, like, 70-30 balls. Collin did this against USC, which is what earned him the frequent double teams, but to my recollection he hasn't done it since. When he gets single coverage — which does still happen, a lot — and the ball comes his way, he has to make something of it. He dropped a touchdown in the 4th quarter on a drive that ended with 0 points. It was good coverage and a tough catch, but that's why you throw fades to 6'6" receivers — the good ones make tough catches against good coverage. Drop enough of those — and I really want to stress that by 6'6", star receiver standards, this is a drop...

giphy.gif

— and defenses are going to stop double covering you. Texas isn't good enough to work methodically downfield; they need more explosive plays. If Leonard gets single coverage but comes down with one or two of those deep shots, it opens everything else up, and he's giving you something that Collin hasn't been.

The Qbs constantly throw the ball at poor locations to CJ.

Put it a foot above the DBs head and we catches them all. Lead him and his height means nothing. 

Once again i think he is a victim of Beck and his lack of ability to use our players properly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, prosfromdover said:

That non-catch above is really tough on CJ. The defender hits his arm, separating his hands right at the point of catch...

Not to mention his hands coming across CJ's facemask and turning his head slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CJ is and nightmare, if utilized correctly.  As an OC, I would personally call my passing plays based off what the defense is doing to him.  If he is single covered then I would make every effort to throw his way EVERYTIME.  Force the DC to start doubling him with a safety.  Then, like Seahorn pointed out before, you have 4 eyes concentrating on him and have single coverage for Mapps and opposite receiver.  They have to win their matchups for it to be effective.  Also, This is where they really need to utilize the TE in the middle of the field (seam and drag routes should be open). Just him being on the field opens things up.  With that said, if the coaches feel like CJ isn't giving them maximum effort and Dorian is, then you send a msg to CJ.  Being the son of a former player I'm sure it's been instilled in him to fight for what he wants and he will take it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  


Franchise Quest


  • Latest Posts

×