Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Sign in to follow this  
echeese

View from the Cheap Seats KSU

View from the Cheap Seats-KSU

Happy 78th Coach Snyder

One of the top coaches in College football but the Cheap Seats have no problem sending him home with a big shit sandwich for his 78th birthday. Wildcats have been a thorn in the Horns side since the BigXII was formed so any victory is a good victory. And this was a good victory. Easily the best offensive performance since Norte Dame last year and a GREAT game plan. After a 1st throw INT, Tim Beck called a great game using short passes and slants to put play makers in space and allow them to make plays. Not sure where this game plan/play calling has been but against the best D TEXAS has faced to date, it was a very well called game and fits Sam’s fastball style throwing like a glove. So tonight, the offense took a step forward not unlike the Defense did after Maryland. . .but the defense took a pretty good step backward, certainly not Maryland bad but some holes were exposed.

TEXAS is 2-0 in conference play for the first time since 2009. TEXAS has just not been a good football team and this game should go a long way to getting the Horns back on the right path. More importantly, TEXAS seems to have found an offensive identity. ..though that identity could really benefit from more Toneil Carter . ..just a helpful hint coach.

TEXAS rolled out a brand new offensive line, starting Okafor, Vahe Cuney McMillon and True freshman Kerstetter L to R. For a group with only 40% of the Maryland starters available, overall they did pretty well. #1 item that showed dramatic improvement was only 1 official penalty. Having re-watched the USC game, you see a very different outcome without the penalties. While the run game really wasn’t gelling, pass pro was overall very good. Of course when the pocket did break down, Sam E took advantage of KSU with his legs, ending up as TEXAS’ top rusher with 113 yards. On his 1st run, you can see the MLB run himself out of the play leaving a huge hole, Sam took off for a gain of 16. McMillon struggled at times up against KSU’s top DL but certainly this was improved OL play compared to the ISU game and against a better defense.

QB debate is over . … . Sam with the best QB game at TEXAS since ND of last year, might be the best game since Colt, almost 400 yards passing, 2 TDs, 113 yards rushing, Sam accounting for 85% of TEXAS’ offense. Easily the Player of the Game

Wide Receiver play

Overall, the best game we’ve seen from our WRs and deserves to be highlighted. This has always been the strength of the offense and for the 1st time this year, they were put in a position to succeed. Reggie Maaps was the star with a 12 catch 121 yard night (HM, Player of the game) while Collin Johnson (7/92 yards) continues to be the “big play” threat and it was clear his presence impacted the D even if he wasn’t the target. Sam used 6 different pass catchers to complete 30 passes on 50 attempts with 2 TDs, one to Warren, one to Heard both plays really well designed. First time this year the Cheap Seats has seen the WRs schemed to run players open. Best examples, the Chris Warren pass for a TD and Heard’s route for a TD.

Having praised the staff’s scheme, Sam E rushed 20 times, granted many of those scrambles off plays where the WRs were covered in addition to 50 passing attempts. So out of 91 plays, Sam was at the center of 70. Make no mistake, kid came up with a great night. Would like to see a bit more balance in the future especially as well as Carter flashed on 6 carries. What was odd, Toneil Carter after an excellent 1st half, vanished. Since the cheap seats has not seen anyone elses report yet, not sure if he is injured. But even in the 1st half, he’d make a great play and they would pull him. Chris Warren’s two biggest contributions would come on a throw back, wheel route for a 33 yard TD to cut KSU’s lead down to 17-14. Great play call, excellent execution.

PLAY OF THE GAME

Chris Warren makes a heads up play as Lil Jordan fumbles trying to gain 1st down yardage and recovers the ball. Why do we feel this is the “play of the game”. With 4 minutes left in the game, with KSU enjoying a 27-24 lead and with KSU enjoying success with their Wing T offense, KSU is a couple 1st downs from running out the clock and baking Coach Snyder a tasty cake instead of a shit sandwich.

With that play and closing out this game, concerns of not making a bowl game pretty much went away. Make no mistake, TEXAS' 3 toughest tests all come in the next 4 weeks.

DEFENSE

After week’s of Zero, 17 (regulation) and 7 points allowed, 2 of those games against very good offenses, giving up 27 points and 400 yards was a let down. Most disturbing was a team not really known for it’s passing attack putting up 254 on the Horns. Late in the 3rd quarter, KSU brought in their back up QB and effectively ran the Wing T offense. Ran it really well too, Delton ran for 81 yards on 12 carries and 2 TDs, pulling KSU back into the game. With OU, OSU, Baylor and TCU as the next 4 teams in a row, finding a chink in the TEXAS back 7 is not happening at a good time.

Malik Jefferson continues to play like a man on fire, turning in another great game and Defensive Player of the Game honors. Will be interesting to see how Coach Orlando adjusts the secondary play with more accomplished passers on deck.

Some of our fans predicted a 20 point win. Not sure if some of our fans realize how well coached KSU is. This was a quality win, coming from behind in the 4th quarter to tie up the game. Would have won it but our 45 yard field goal with 11 seconds left went just wide right.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Michael Dickerson remains a real weapon, regularly flipping field position and he was again outstanding, including a 67 yard punt of beauty.

Mr Rowland OTOH, missed a 27 yarder and a 45 yarder to win the game. He’s less than 50% on the year.

Ranking the BigXII

#1 TCU. . . .very nice win over West Virginia coupled with boomer sooner crashing to earth vaults the Frogs into the top spot

#2 OSU. . ..off week

#3 OU. . . . .the video of the ISU player planting the Iowa flag in land thief stadium was a classic.

#4 TEXAS. . . .too high? 2-0 in conference play, can CTH start a new RRW tradition? We shall see

#5 ISU. . . . ..likely too high but they need a reward for knocking off previous #1

#6 TT . . . .OK, they beat Kansas

#7 KSU. . ..there are a group of teams you can rank today in any order

#8 WVU . . . .teams 5-8 can go in about any order, this will work itself out soon

#9 Baylor . .. . F Baylor

#10 Kansas. .. . .when does basketball kick off

PLAYOFFS

#1 Bama. . ..just steam rolling people. . . .always a good night when TEXAS wins while OU and Aggie both lose

#2 Clemson

#3 Penn State

#4 UDub

Outside looking in:

TCU

OkSU

Georgia

Miami

Wazzu (hey, the Pirate is 6-0 can he finish in the Top 10?)

8 hours ago, echeese said:

Would like to see a bit more balance in the future especially as well as Carter flashed on 6 carries. What was odd, Toneil Carter after an excellent 1st half, vanished. Since the cheap seats has not seen anyone elses report yet, not sure if he is injured. But even in the 1st half, he’d make a great play and they would pull him.

He wasnt hurt.  He was standing next to Herman after they pulled twice after 2 good runs.  Infuriating to say the least

Another nice one echeese.  You made my morning when I visualized Bill Snyder sitting down at birthday cake time and instead being served a burnt orange shit sandwich.  I don't hate the guy but I don't like him either.  

Please tell me what you think about CTH's emerging pattern of not accepting likely points in search of the punctuating TD.  I am a bit surprised by his aggressiveness.  He is definitely not a conventional, by the book coach in this regard.  Do you like this wrinkle in his personality?  Are we able to afford this risk taking due to the performance of Orlando and the boys on D?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Great post as always Cheese...

Some Random thoughts

Texas the last couple of games has found a way to win a tough game. A continued big step in becoming the team they need to be.

These guys don’t give up when bad things happen...

Sam, moves the chains, a lost art at Texas since Colt. Whatever it takes.  He knows where the chains are and finds a way to get the football past them. Man, have we sorely missed a QB that does that.  

Wow for the first time in 4 years Texas threw the ball over the middle.

The D and the O both at times made the plays needed to win...The D may not have been pretty stat wise, but I would rather have a D that makes the badly needed stop than be  stat kings.

Sam is a Freshman, and will make mistakes along the way, but the guy is a leader and makes plays, has great pocket presence...he gets better when the game is on the line. It is possible he may lay an egg from time to time, this his first season as Defenses scout him, but he may be one of those that doesn’t do that.  

I hate fade passes on 3rd or 4th down.

Loving these Horns....

22 hours ago, Embrey said:

Another nice one echeese.  You made my morning when I visualized Bill Snyder sitting down at birthday cake time and instead being served a burnt orange shit sandwich.  I don't hate the guy but I don't like him either.  

Please tell me what you think about CTH's emerging pattern of not accepting likely points in search of the punctuating TD.  I am a bit surprised by his aggressiveness.  He is definitely not a conventional, by the book coach in this regard.  Do you like this wrinkle in his personality?  Are we able to afford this risk taking due to the performance of Orlando and the boys on D?  Inquiring minds want to know.

He made issue of his 4th and 1 call in his presser and hopefully he realizes you don't go for it EVERYTIME.   While I like out of the box thinking. .  .you have to blend that with being smart and teams only get so many possessions a game.

But the point about Orlando and the D is valid.   You can risk more when you have a D that will bail you out.

Mack's legacy would be far different if his early D's where as good as his early O's.

Jesus!.....when you have a kicker that can not be counted on from 27 yds how can you NOT go for it? That is only 7 yds longer than extra point range. Nagar must really,really suck in practice. Surely in our large student body there is someone who can put one in from at least 35 yds?

1 hour ago, echeese said:

Have heard Carter suffered from cramps during the gam but no idea how valid that is.

I hope that was the case because the running game looks so much different with him out there. 

7 hours ago, echeese said:

Have heard Carter suffered from cramps during the gam but no idea how valid that is.

– Team Note | Toneil Carter: On Saturday, freshman RB Toneil Carter ran for 32 yards on 6 carries (over 5 YPC) and Kyle Porter and Chris Warren ran for 27 yards on 14 carries (less than 2 YPC) combined. But there were some asking questions about Carter’s health as I don’t think he got any carries in the second half.

I talked to a source on that situation and Carter is healthy. He just wasn’t given any carries in the second half for whatever reason. I can understand the staff’s reluctance to have a true freshman at QB and RB, but Carter is the best option to compliment the style of play Chris Warren brings. Carter also has the most big play ability, as Tom Herman has noted. We’ll see if we see more of Carter this week vs Oklahoma. – (Andrew)

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/10/open-post-monday-october-9th/

8 hours ago, okiehorn said:

Now don't get me wrong...I really don't like this guy.... But that was probably the most harmless smack I've ever heard him say. He's still a douche, but a quote like this is what's great about college and TXHSFB rivalries. If I were talking about a player from my rival high school, I'd probably say something similar.

That being said... He and OU still suck.

7 hours ago, The Bry-Man81 said:

Now don't get me wrong...I really don't like this guy.... But that was probably the most harmless smack I've ever heard him say. He's still a douche, but a quote like this is what's great about college and TXHSFB rivalries. If I were talking about a player from my rival high school, I'd probably say something similar.

That being said... He and OU still suck.

Yes it wasn’t bad but I’d be worried about other things after getting embarrassed by ISU and getting held to 7 points in the 2nd half by a below average defense lol he is a POS. Even if he played for UT I’d believe he is worthless. Just his attitude 

14 hours ago, DMAC said:

– Team Note | Toneil Carter: On Saturday, freshman RB Toneil Carter ran for 32 yards on 6 carries (over 5 YPC) and Kyle Porter and Chris Warren ran for 27 yards on 14 carries (less than 2 YPC) combined. But there were some asking questions about Carter’s health as I don’t think he got any carries in the second half.

I talked to a source on that situation and Carter is healthy. He just wasn’t given any carries in the second half for whatever reason. I can understand the staff’s reluctance to have a true freshman at QB and RB, but Carter is the best option to compliment the style of play Chris Warren brings. Carter also has the most big play ability, as Tom Herman has noted. We’ll see if we see more of Carter this week vs Oklahoma. – (Andrew)

http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2017/10/open-post-monday-october-9th/

It's odd. . . .CTH is a river boat gambler on 4th down but is reluctant to play a freshman RB?   By far the easiest position to transition from one level to the next.

And Daniel Young's red shirt has already been burned for what seems no reason vs SJSU with 4 carries.   In the mean time, we see Kyle Porter racking up 10 carries a game.    Now Porter is great, if you need 2 yards for a 1st down/TD. . . he'll get you 2 yards.   If it's 1st and 10.. . . .he'll get you 2 yards.