Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Daniel Seahorn

5 Thoughts Following The Win Over KSU

1 hour ago, Bogey said:

In the presser following the USC game, TH said they used the practiced 2-pt play to score the TD and didn't have a second play available. He agreed that going for 2 would be his first choice otherwise.

this is so funny to read. you telling me you come to a game and have 1 damn 2 pt conversion play. I'm sorry but that's just unfathomable lol

Makes me like the kid even more...

LOOK: Texas QB Sam Ehlinger buys donuts for his OL

The youth of Texas Longhorns quarterback Sam Ehlinger clearly belies his understanding of a football truism — if you take care of your big uglies, your big uglies will take care of you.

As a result, Ehlinger bought donuts for his offensive line on Monday after the patchwork group helped him avoid taking a single sack against the Kansas State Wildcats on Saturday night.

Surely, Ehlinger’s remarkable pocket presence and escapability played a significant role in that regard, but that’s no reason to avoid giving the offensive line credit for a performance that was better than anyone expected.

And so Ehlinger once again provided some perspective on why everyone around the program has so much respect for him — he gets it.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/10/9/16449090/sam-ehlinger-donuts-offensive-line-texas-longhorns

5 hours ago, texbound said:

Ummm, what?  Toniel Carter is a RB.  I dont know of any other Carter on the roster.  Are you possibly talking about Gary Johnson?

Thank you sir... Gary Johnson.  

I thought he showed much promise, but haven't noticed him in a couple weeks.  

31 minutes ago, 83Dee said:

Thank you sir... Gary Johnson.  

I thought he showed much promise, but haven't noticed him in a couple weeks.  

Yeah, I'm not 100% sire why Gary isn't seeing the field more.  To be fair, Jefferson and Wheeler have been doing well at the LB spots.  Hughes has been ok, but Johnson would come in for the former and Jeffrey McCullough  (sp) would come in for Hughes.  They could maybe give Johnson some of Wheelers plays, but not Maliks, imo.

Wanted to contribute something on thoughts about the QB position. Front page of a book here before me says March 2010 I started reading it: "The Warrior Elite" by Dick Couch, a Navy SEAL who graduated top of his class, 1969. I recollect the thing I arrived at by the end of the book was the mystery of what makes a SEAL. First you do underwater training then later the full SEAL training when assigned to a team. This book is about the Basic Underwater Demolition part of it, the intro as it were.

I highly recommend the book. Dick Couch took time to follow an entire San Diego BUD/S class, #228, through training. Book is very well written and teaches a lot about all the things we might wonder about a SEAL, which you can't really know from watching movies.

As you go through the book it's natural to wonder what separates the One out of 10 who make it. Every candidate there is worthy or they wouldn't even be there. Some wash out due to technical body issues that just can't handle pressure depths or some other breakdown. But for the rest they all give it their best.

What is the difference maker? Here's what Couch wrote:

"I personally have come to believe the single trait that will get a man through BUD/S is the will to win. The desire to win is different from refusing to lose, or not quitting. A man can get through BUD/S by refusing to quit, if he can meet the performance standards, but he will not be a leader -- a "go to" guy in his SEAL platoon.  BUD'S cultivates this will to win, but to one degree or another, top trainees bring it with them when they walk through the door of the Naval Special Warfare Center. Some realize this only after they leave BUD/S." - p. 280, paperback, Three Rivers Press edition, 2001-2003, SEAL Productions, Ltd.

For me, after the USC game, and in particular that last quarter and final 91-yard, 14-play drive, I settled on Ehlinger as the right QB for this team and for this initial building year under Herman that will forge the identity of the program. I still feel that way. He has the will to win, and I think he's had it all his life. I watch body language in sports. Every detail of movement and action. In Ehlinger I see what Couch wrote about in being a leader, a "go to" guy. I'm happy we have more than one who can play the position, but this team's identity (my opinion) is with Ehlinger.

Finally... in late 80s working at a computer company in Cupertino (Silicon Valley), I had an office mate and one day, after having worked around him for quite a while, it came up he had served as a Navy SEAL. I don't know if he was kidding me or not as I did not question him a lot about it. At the time, did not even know what being a SEAL really meant. He did not strike me as that kind of person just by the look of him. So maybe my judgment of the QB position is suspect. Take it as my opinion and assessment. But I do see in Ehlinger the mark of a winner and a true leader of a team.

13 hours ago, Epictetus said:

Wanted to contribute something on thoughts about the QB position. Front page of a book here before me says March 2010 I started reading it: "The Warrior Elite" by Dick Couch, a Navy SEAL who graduated top of his class, 1969. I recollect the thing I arrived at by the end of the book was the mystery of what makes a SEAL. First you do underwater training then later the full SEAL training when assigned to a team. This book is about the Basic Underwater Demolition part of it, the intro as it were.

I highly recommend the book. Dick Couch took time to follow an entire San Diego BUD/S class, #228, through training. Book is very well written and teaches a lot about all the things we might wonder about a SEAL, which you can't really know from watching movies.

As you go through the book it's natural to wonder what separates the One out of 10 who make it. Every candidate there is worthy or they wouldn't even be there. Some wash out due to technical body issues that just can't handle pressure depths or some other breakdown. But for the rest they all give it their best.

What is the difference maker? Here's what Couch wrote:

"I personally have come to believe the single trait that will get a man through BUD/S is the will to win. The desire to win is different from refusing to lose, or not quitting. A man can get through BUD/S by refusing to quit, if he can meet the performance standards, but he will not be a leader -- a "go to" guy in his SEAL platoon.  BUD'S cultivates this will to win, but to one degree or another, top trainees bring it with them when they walk through the door of the Naval Special Warfare Center. Some realize this only after they leave BUD/S." - p. 280, paperback, Three Rivers Press edition, 2001-2003, SEAL Productions, Ltd.

For me, after the USC game, and in particular that last quarter and final 91-yard, 14-play drive, I settled on Ehlinger as the right QB for this team and for this initial building year under Herman that will forge the identity of the program. I still feel that way. He has the will to win, and I think he's had it all his life. I watch body language in sports. Every detail of movement and action. In Ehlinger I see what Couch wrote about in being a leader, a "go to" guy. I'm happy we have more than one who can play the position, but this team's identity (my opinion) is with Ehlinger.

Finally... in late 80s working at a computer company in Cupertino (Silicon Valley), I had an office mate and one day, after having worked around him for quite a while, it came up he had served as a Navy SEAL. I don't know if he was kidding me or not as I did not question him a lot about it. At the time, did not even know what being a SEAL really meant. He did not strike me as that kind of person just by the look of him. So maybe my judgment of the QB position is suspect. Take it as my opinion and assessment. But I do see in Ehlinger the mark of a winner and a true leader of a team.

Great stuff. Always enjoy your intelligent, articulate posts. 

An interesting read...

"The Texas Longhorns scored 21 points in the second quarter against the Kansas State Wildcats. Let that sink in, a 21 point quarter. They scored six in the rest of regulation. Was it halftime adjustments that stopped the scoring? Not so much. Texas featured a variety of short, high-percentage passes in the second quarter. These passes were absent from the majority of the game, but when utilized, they worked.

The short passing game results in high completion percentages, and allow for the athletes to get he ball in space to make plays. This strategy worked for the Longhorns against Kansas State.

Here are some stats to back it up.

Sam Ehlinger was 11-of-13 passing (85 percent) for 140 yards and a touchdown in the second quarter. Eleven of the 13 attempts were thrown less than 15 yards, with 10 of the 11 completions being short throws, including Chris Warren’s 33-yard touchdown catch.

For the game, Sam Ehlinger was 21-of-26 passing when throwing the ball less than 15 yards, gaining 10.6 yards per attempt. Of those 21 completions, only one went for less than five yards. Think about that — if a team can be successful greater than 80 percent of the time, and pick up a first down on average, they have a pretty good chance of success.

The Longhorns were also pretty good when throwing between 15 and 25 yards. Ehlinger was 8-for-12 passing with a 18.75 yards per attempt. Many of these passes were over the middle and 16- or 17-yard completions. These are higher percentage throws for a quarterback because the receiver is moving toward the quarterback and the ball does not have to be in the air for a long time."

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/10/10/16451438/texas-longhorns-offensie-time-beck-short-passing-game

I was probably as adamant as anyone in my support for Buechele to remain the starter after the USC game. One reason for the support was Shane's success last season (despite the lack of wins). We had a multitude of issues last year that contributed to our poor performance but I believe Shane had a very good season especially as a Freshman.

The second reason for my support was Sam's performance against USC. Outside of the last drive of the game he did not show me anything that made me believe he was a better QB right now. I saw potential and confidence but I didn't see a guy who was ready to take the reigns "full time". To be honest I was nervous or frustrated most of the game.

When Shane came back against Iowa State I saw a lot of the things that I had seen the season before. He was accurate with his throws, he made good decisions, and he did everything he could to try and win the game. We didn't set the world on fire but that was ok. We had a good defense and an offense that could score enough in a slugfest to win. I was very disheartened to hear he was "banged up" and not able to play against Kansas State. I still thought we could win but we would need to rely on our defense to keep us close.

On our first possession against K State I was expecting a heavy dose of ground and pound. I assumed we would attempt to establish a running game to use the clock for our advantage and keep Sam in manageable situations. When I saw Sam roll out on the first play from scrimmage I thought "what the #@&$ are we doing". Sam slung the ball deep to a receiver that had at least a step on the defender and all my fears came true. Idiot Beck calling that freaking play and our "hot shot" freshman QB underthrows it for a pick. I was livid. I wanted to get on line and tell all you morons pumping Ehlinger up "I hope your happy!! Your golden boy with the IT factor has already gotten us in trouble". Then K State goes for 10 unanswered, our defense looked hapless and I knew our offense wasn't going to help especially with the back up QB. I was prepared for my weekend to be ruined.

I am so glad I didn't get on the forum and air my grievances. As the game progressed and Sam began making one play after another my mood slowly improved. Instead of thinking "that was lucky" after Sam bought himself some time and completed a pass I started thinking "that was a pretty good play". Then Sam and I both started to get a little more comfortable. I stopped closing my eyes when he threw the ball and he was dealing strikes all over the field to a multitude of weapons. He was moving the chains on designed and impromptu runs. I wasn't watching a good QB that could help us win a slugfest. I was watching a playmaker that could deliver a win even when the defense wasn't at the top of their game. When K State missed their FG in the second OT I had no doubt that we were going to win that game. Its has been many years since I felt that type of confidence in our Horns.

I still believe that Shane had a very good season last year and Sam didn't prove himself against USC. After Saturday night's performance I know that Sam Ehlinger is no longer the QB of the future he is the QB of our present.

I don't have be satisfied with Great Value Twist & Shouts and Dr. Thunder. I'm getting Oreo's and Dr. Pepper!!

"We got ourselves a football player" ~ Doc Hines

17 minutes ago, RickyFlair said:

I was probably as adamant as anyone in my support for Buechele to remain the starter after the USC game. One reason for the support was Shane's success last season (despite the lack of wins). We had a multitude of issues last year that contributed to our poor performance but I believe Shane had a very good season especially as a Freshman.

The second reason for my support was Sam's performance against USC. Outside of the last drive of the game he did not show me anything that made me believe he was a better QB right now. I saw potential and confidence but I didn't see a guy who was ready to take the reigns "full time". To be honest I was nervous or frustrated most of the game.

When Shane came back against Iowa State I saw a lot of the things that I had seen the season before. He was accurate with his throws, he made good decisions, and he did everything he could to try and win the game. We didn't set the world on fire but that was ok. We had a good defense and an offense that could score enough in a slugfest to win. I was very disheartened to hear he was "banged up" and not able to play against Kansas State. I still thought we could win but we would need to rely on our defense to keep us close.

On our first possession against K State I was expecting a heavy dose of ground and pound. I assumed we would attempt to establish a running game to use the clock for our advantage and keep Sam in manageable situations. When I saw Sam roll out on the first play from scrimmage I thought "what the #@&$ are we doing". Sam slung the ball deep to a receiver that had at least a step on the defender and all my fears came true. Idiot Beck calling that freaking play and our "hot shot" freshman QB underthrows it for a pick. I was livid. I wanted to get on line and tell all you morons pumping Ehlinger up "I hope your happy!! Your golden boy with the IT factor has already gotten us in trouble". Then K State goes for 10 unanswered, our defense looked hapless and I knew our offense wasn't going to help especially with the back up QB. I was prepared for my weekend to be ruined.

I am so glad I didn't get on the forum and air my grievances. As the game progressed and Sam began making one play after another my mood slowly improved. Instead of thinking "that was lucky" after Sam bought himself some time and completed a pass I started thinking "that was a pretty good play". Then Sam and I both started to get a little more comfortable. I stopped closing my eyes when he threw the ball and he was dealing strikes all over the field to a multitude of weapons. He was moving the chains on designed and impromptu runs. I wasn't watching a good QB that could help us win a slugfest. I was watching a playmaker that could deliver a win even when the defense wasn't at the top of their game. When K State missed their FG in the second OT I had no doubt that we were going to win that game. Its has been many years since I felt that type of confidence in our Horns.

I still believe that Shane had a very good season last year and Sam didn't prove himself against USC. After Saturday night's performance I know that Sam Ehlinger is no longer the QB of the future he is the QB of our present.

I don't have be satisfied with Great Value Twist & Shouts and Dr. Thunder. I'm getting Oreo's and Dr. Pepper!!

I was in the same boat but I started to get on the Sam Train during the Iowa State game.  Shane seemed tentative and wasnt as sharp as he was before his injuries.  Sam brings energy to the offense.

29 minutes ago, DMAC said:

I was in the same boat but I started to get on the Sam Train during the Iowa State game.  Shane seemed tentative and wasnt as sharp as he was before his injuries.  Sam brings energy to the offense.

Yep. If he gets bigger and stronger and can step in with authority and confidence, he can be a great player for us (if Sam sharply regresses or gets injured). Until then he's an excellent back up. Only problem may be keeping him on the roster.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:33 AM, DMAC said:

It was our second offensive series.  Yes backing them up to the 3 yard is a good trade off but they drove 97 yards from their 3 for a TD.  They went up 2 scores at that point.  Hindsight but I take the 3 points at home to tie the game on the second offensive series of the game.

Hindsight is always 20/20.  Given our kicking adventures, I think that going for it may very well have been the percentage play.

On another note, I disagree on the defensive performance.  The performance of the D was pretty darn good when Ertz (sp?) was in there.  It suffered when the backup went in.  That is, I would think, perfectly normal when there is no significant film on the guy.  He isn't a prototypical qb, and he certainly wasn't what we prepared for.

I haven't had time to take out the stats for #2, nor will I.  Huge student load this year, and I'm working extensive hours, particularly for what I get paid (add about 3 more 0's and they would get no complaints).  I leave the house at 6, and I get home around 7..  Silly.

As for knowing that Boo wasn't 'the man' the first time he walked onto the field, that is pure BS.  The same could have been said for McCoy.  Boo's accuracy is amazing.  He has been injured for the majority of the snaps he has taken this year.

This doesn't mean that I do not believe that Sam is 'the man'.  The kid is special.  He plays with a reckless abandon that inspires the team, engages the fans, and that may keep him out for a week or two during the season.  I think we are damn lucky to have both of them. Having Boo and Sam makes us a better team.  They are both fully committed to the team and work their butts off.

As fans, I think that negative analysis of either is both ill-advised and more than a little pompous.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but some opinions are best left unspoken.

Sam and Boo both have my support, and whichever qb The coaches start will be fine by me.  

Offense:  was the better offensive game plan a result of Tim Beck's offensive genius, or was it a result of changes Herman made at the line of scrimmage.  Seriously, was Sam looking at Herman for changes at the line.  I believe he was, and I believe that the improvement in the offense, though Herman gave the credit to Beck.

I must go get ready for work, but those are some of my thoughts.

On to the Cotton Bowl.  May see those of you going there.  See 'ya.

Hook 'em!

15 hours ago, RickyFlair said:

I think we all got carried away during the Shane/Sam debate.  Like you I still believe what I believe but one week (KSU) does not a season make.  Remember Kenny 'Trill' Hill in his starting debut?  He was the next big thing, until he wasn't.  Once defensive coordinators have adjusted the game plan to what they saw from Sam versus KSU we will see where he is in his development.  I have rethought a lot of my statements as well and can only hope that Shane is healthy and ready to go in case Sam hits the freshman wall or gets banged up.  

In fact, after watching Coach Herman's press conference this week I cannot determine if he is being coy regarding Shane starting once he is back at 100% or if he simply wants to make OU have to consider and prepare for both.

3 hours ago, java said:

As for knowing that Boo wasn't 'the man' the first time he walked onto the field, that is pure BS.  The same could have been said for McCoy. 

I knew.  I documented that I knew last year when everybody was saying he was the second coming.  Of course I could have been wrong.  It was my opinion.  That doesn't mean I believe Shane is horrible.  My thing is that everybody wants to believe that Texas is going to be good.  Everybody wants to believe we have the right coach.  Everybody wants to believe we have the right QB.  But what I was seeing at the end of Mac's tenure was mediocre at best.  What I was seeing during Strong's tenure was inconsistent at best.  What I was seeing from the QBs during that era was not up to the standard we have been so spoiled to come to expect.  And then came Shane.  He gave people hope.  But he is tiny.  I know he throws a pretty ball but can he run over someone during the KSU game and still be on the field the following week for the RRR?  I am glad Shane is at Texas.  I simply never thought he was built for this.  

I dont know why we are all having this debate over and over.  Go with the guy that gives us the best chance to win.  That is Sam.  I have always defended Shane but if you still cant decide who our QB then you are lost in emotion and loyalty.  We have seen this before.  Remember how many backed Strong after 3 losing seasons because he was a Good Guy?  We would battle over this topic every game.  Well I am sure Shane is a good kid too but I will take Sam's toughness over "but I like the kid"  Its silly to even have to say that. 

I will add I dont believe Shane is the guy going forward because he seems tentative on reads and runs.  Sam doesnt.  I can live with the freshman mistakes just go all out and dont over think it like Orlando has said about his defense.

5 hours ago, Embrey said:

I think we all got carried away during the Shane/Sam debate.  Like you I still believe what I believe but one week (KSU) does not a season make.  Remember Kenny 'Trill' Hill in his starting debut?  He was the next big thing, until he wasn't.  Once defensive coordinators have adjusted the game plan to what they saw from Sam versus KSU we will see where he is in his development.  I have rethought a lot of my statements as well and can only hope that Shane is healthy and ready to go in case Sam hits the freshman wall or gets banged up.  

In fact, after watching Coach Herman's press conference this week I cannot determine if he is being coy regarding Shane starting once he is back at 100% or if he simply wants to make OU have to consider and prepare for both.

I can't give validity to anything you post with that picture of WD sitting to the left.

Perhaps you could exchange it with this one.

59de72d474ece_bakermayfield.jpg.d9027f84e7cfcf0ac2a2b84103960404.jpg

23 minutes ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

Remember that speculation on Ertz before last Saturday? 

The back up is going to give some teams a hand full if he can learn to throw even a little bit. 

You are right okiehorn.  He is.  Thank goodness we have the speed on defense that we have, or we might be weeping and wailing right now.

I really like the speed of Sam's decision making.  I wish that he would see those open receivers that Herman talks about, rather than take unnecessary hits.

I haven't been able to see any games in person this year, but I will be in the CB on Saturday.

Hook 'em!

btw, who is the reporter that continually asks Herman about the starting quarterback?  Herman is very much at ease with the press, and it's obvious that he is very intelligent.  One day he is going to eat that guy for lunch, and I'm not certain that the fellow will even know it.

12 hours ago, java said:

You are right okiehorn.  He is.  Thank goodness we have the speed on defense that we have, or we might be weeping and wailing right now.

I really like the speed of Sam's decision making.  I wish that he would see those open receivers that Herman talks about, rather than take unnecessary hits.

I haven't been able to see any games in person this year, but I will be in the CB on Saturday.

Hook 'em!

btw, who is the reporter that continually asks Herman about the starting quarterback?  Herman is very much at ease with the press, and it's obvious that he is very intelligent.  One day he is going to eat that guy for lunch, and I'm not certain that the fellow will even know it.

I agree with the reporter. It’s annoying. He clearly isn’t goin to say anything even though we’d be foolish to think HoeU doesn’t know who is starting lol. I myself like the suspense of waiting till game day as well! Did like to hear him say there going to let carter stay in for a full series etc instead of play by play