Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Daniel Seahorn

5 Thoughts Following The Win Over KSU

We don't really need Foreman with everyone we've got, but I for one think we don't use him well either. He's not a runner. He looks like a runner. He probably practices like a runner. So the temptation is to get him the ball quickly and let him get yards. But he does't seem to know how to turn upfield like the great slot guys. Like young Reggie does instinctively. Foreman's a better outside pass catcher than runner. But who are you going to take out? He's not better than Heard or as solid as Joe and he's not bringing in passes that Johnson, LJH and Leonard don't. But they bring in passes he can't, just by size alone. So he's kind of a weird fit. I hope he can be a good teammate and wait for his turn (which will probably come) but I understand that is saying a lot for a senior with dreams of getting paid who's had some pretty big moments in the burnt orange.

18 minutes ago, drgilbert said:

Have a question. On the final TD run we had players pushing and pulling Warren. My brother said that it is illegal to pull a player. Is that correct?  If so it looks like we got away with it. 

They changed the rule a couple of seasons back. It is no longer illegal to aid a runner. 

3 hours ago, Embrey said:

You and DMAC both made interesting points regarding Herman and when, why (or why not) to take these risks.  In that light my working hypothesis is that Herman is a risk taker provided he has time remaining in the game to adjust his game plan in case his risks fail.  The sample size is small for now so I assume my theory will change as I receive more info.  I appreciate y'alls input.

As a football coach, you can’t fear failure. The great coaches take calculated risks and aren’t affected by what’s happened in the past. As a whole the past 3 season, Texas seemed to wait for the game to come to them and never was the aggressor. Herman is trying to change that and he has a “go in for the kill mentality”, which this program needs.

As a football coach, you can’t fear failure. The great coaches take calculated risks and aren’t affected by what’s happened in the past. As a whole the past 3 season, Texas seemed to wait for the game to come to them and never was the aggressor. Herman is trying to change that and he has a “go in for the kill mentality”, which this program needs.

That's what I meant to say earlier.  ;)  Very well stated sir.

33 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

Then why were we so conservative on our play calling at our own one yard line?  Run up the middle= one yd. pass up the sideline thrown out of bounds. Dropped pass on third down that wouldn’t have gotten a first down. If he is going to be aggressive then he needs to be consistent with it. 

5 minutes ago, drgilbert said:

Then why were we so conservative on our play calling at our own one yard line?  Run up the middle= one yd. pass up the sideline thrown out of bounds. Dropped pass on third down that wouldn’t have gotten a first down. If he is going to be aggressive then he needs to be consistent with it. 

I don't agree with your example. In my opinion you run it every day play from the 1 yard line. You just mentioned two pass plays. I would not call that conservative.

Edited by Bear19

51 minutes ago, prosfromdover said:

We don't really need Foreman with everyone we've got, but I for one think we don't use him well either. He's not a runner. He looks like a runner. He probably practices like a runner. So the temptation is to get him the ball quickly and let him get yards. But he does't seem to know how to turn upfield like the great slot guys. Like young Reggie does instinctively. Foreman's a better outside pass catcher than runner. But who are you going to take out? He's not better than Heard or as solid as Joe and he's not bringing in passes that Johnson, LJH and Leonard don't. But they bring in passes he can't, just by size alone. So he's kind of a weird fit. I hope he can be a good teammate and wait for his turn (which will probably come) but I understand that is saying a lot for a senior with dreams of getting paid who's had some pretty big moments in the burnt orange.

I liked Foreman, but I think the Horns have found a consistent, reliable group of WRs that for this offense.  LJH, C. Johnson, Mapps, and a combination of Joe and Leonard are gelling right now.  Maybe you can substitute Foreman for Joe, but Joe's blocking is better.  I'm really liking this group.  All are mismatches in their own way.  

I have to ssy the one player I've been disappointed in this year is Devin.  His routes don't seem crisp and he just isn't getting open.  John Burt has been passed up.  I could see both of them transferring next year, especially Devin.  Hope he gets it together and they can utilize his speed.

4 hours ago, Embrey said:

And what is funny in light of Herman's apparent willingness to forego the sure thing for the whole enchilada was that he didn't go for 2 and the win at USC.  I am not trying to break his balls.  I just don't have a clear read on him yet.

I just dont understand this. I seem to hear a near consensus on what a great coach the Purple wizard is, but he didnt go for 2 in OT just like TH didnt go for 2 in OT against USC, yet Herman is vilified for his choice. Looks like similar circumstances...underdog playing in the other guys house.....

1 hour ago, drgilbert said:

Have a question. On the final TD run we had players pushing and pulling Warren. My brother said that it is illegal to pull a player. Is that correct?  If so it looks like we got away with it. 

Believe he is right, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen that go uncalled. 

3 minutes ago, oldhorn2 said:

I just dont understand this. I seem to hear a near consensus on what a great coach the Purple wizard is, but he didnt go for 2 in OT just like TH didnt go for 2 in OT against USC, yet Herman is vilified for his choice. Looks like similar circumstances...underdog playing in the other guys house.....

It was never my intention to call TH out.  I am simply attempting to understand how he thinks.  

If you are referring to Bill Snyder (the Purple Wizard), I don't like him anyway.  I have no interest in understanding how he thinks because I made my mind up about him long ago and he will not receive any 'he was a great coach' stuff from me when he hangs it up.  Let's hope TH has better success than the purple wizard in the ultimate goal of big-time football coaches - winning it all.

the biggest story line besides the end of QB competition was the pass blocking really improved of the new O-line starters after very rough 1st quarter they gave Sam a pocket also they blocked well on QB run plays but the inside run game blocking needs drastic improvement 

Beck seems to have really hard time running a RB multiple times to force defense to stop play, not play caller because kstate never stopped Carter on stretch play then he would come out then no carries at all

the safeties and LBs had hard time with kstate pass game early then could not tackle the backup QB 

Beck and Herman need to take Texas WRs advantage they have against every defense. size, speed, ball skills and depth 

I want to say one final thing on the QB debate and the major difference, in my eyes, between Sam and Shane is Sam's pocket awareness and feel is off the charts.  Shane is accurate, but Sam has that awareness to extend time for his WRs to get open and to make up for mistakes by the Oline.  Some guys just have that extra perception that others don't (see Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers), no matter how much prep they.  In no way am I saying Sam is Tom or Aaron, but he does seem to possess at least that instinct.  That is all I have to say about that.

28 minutes ago, Embrey said:

It was never my intention to call TH out.  I am simply attempting to understand how he thinks.  

If you are referring to Bill Snyder (the Purple Wizard), I don't like him anyway.  I have no interest in understanding how he thinks because I made my mind up about him long ago and he will not receive any 'he was a great coach' stuff from me when he hangs it up.  Let's hope TH has better success than the purple wizard in the ultimate goal of big-time football coaches - winning it all.

I don't really care to know how Tom Herman thinks. If we know then so will the opposition. Would just as soon he keep everyone guessing.

just win games.

2 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:

To be fair, we all knew ND wasn’t a Top 10 team after that game, but we had no clue they were going to be 4-8 bad. Everyone was falsely stoked with Shane’s performance considering it was his first collegiate start as a true freshman. 

FIFY

50 minutes ago, texbound said:

I liked Foreman, but I think the Horns have found a consistent, reliable group of WRs that for this offense.  LJH, C. Johnson, Mapps, and a combination of Joe and Leonard are gelling right now.  Maybe you can substitute Foreman for Joe, but Joe's blocking is better.  I'm really liking this group.  All are mismatches in their own way.  

I have to ssy the one player I've been disappointed in this year is Devin.  His routes don't seem crisp and he just isn't getting open.  John Burt has been passed up.  I could see both of them transferring next year, especially Devin.  Hope he gets it together and they can utilize his speed.

This is Foreman's senior year ,so I can understand why he may be upset at lack of playing time. But  your attitude is one of the only things in life you have control of and he needs to change his right now and put his nose to the grindstone so he can get back on the field.... and I would be embarrassed if my Dad was acting a fool like his is on social media.  

33 minutes ago, Embrey said:

Embry....I guess that sounded like I was busting your balls, but I did not mean to be on you at all....I saw for the last 2 weeks folks second guessing herman for that decision. I was just having a little fun. As a poster I give you more credit than myself.

2 minutes ago, CharcoalPuppy said:

This is Foreman's senior year ,so I can understand why he may be upset at lack of playing time. But  your attitude is one of the only things in life you have control of and he needs to change his right now and put his nose to the grindstone so he can get back on the field.... and I would be embarrassed if my Dad was acting a fool like his is on social media.  

Social media works both ways. Someone will simply ask the man why it took his son three seasons to become a factor. And that would either start more embarrassment or shut him up.

Its hard to criticize a coach after a win against a team we seldom win against.

14 hours ago, joeywa said:

Late in the ou game, (was listening to ESPN radio,) they said, “I’ll tell you, the Oklahoma defense is the Michigan offense of college football.”

Let’s hope the trend continues. 

:)

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Huskie1 said:

They changed the rule a couple of seasons back. It is no longer illegal to aid a runner. 

I thought they removed "pushing" the ball carrier but it is still penalty to "pull a ball carrier". 

This is the most recent ncaa playbook..... FR 2017 Rules and Interpretations

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR17.pdf

SECTION 3. Blocking, Use of Hands or Arms Who May Block ARTICLE 1. Players of either team may block opponents, provided it is not pass interference, interference with the opportunity to catch a kick or a personal foul (Exception: Rules 6-1-12 and 6-5-4). Interfering for or Helping the Ball Carrier or Passer ARTICLE 2. a. The ball carrier or passer may use his hand or arm to ward off or push opponents. rule 9 / Conduct of Players and Others Subject to the Rules FR-97 b. The ball carrier shall not grasp a teammate; and no other player of his team shall grasp, pull, or lift him to assist him in forward progress. (A.R. 9-3-2-I) c. Teammates of the ball carrier or passer may interfere for him by blocking but shall not use interlocked interference by grasping or encircling one another in any manner while

Kerstetter got away with it right in front of the refs.  Glad it wasnt called.

1 hour ago, Bear19 said:

I don't agree with your example. In my opinion you run it every day play from the 1 yard line. You just mentioned two pass plays. I would not call that conservative.

I brought that series up cause Herman’s aggressiveness was being talked about. I agree about running from the one yard line unless your line doesn’t open holes. We either can’t or won’t run the ball well. So we should play to our strengths.