Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Daniel Seahorn

5 Thoughts Following The Win Over KSU

3 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

Ha, very true. It’s easy to play with the “nothing to lose mentality” when you are on the road against USC until you actually have to say “hey let’s go for 2 and risk everything”

You and DMAC both made interesting points regarding Herman and when, why (or why not) to take these risks.  In that light my working hypothesis is that Herman is a risk taker provided he has time remaining in the game to adjust his game plan in case his risks fail.  The sample size is small for now so I assume my theory will change as I receive more info.  I appreciate y'alls input.

4 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Daniel,

For about four years now, I have nary heard a positive word about Terrell Cuney.  All I did is watch the game as a fan, but it seemed that this kid competed, was composed, made the calls and hit Sam in the chest with every snap right on time.  Maybe I have missed something, but I think we have our Center for the next year and a half?  Shack, when healthy, can compete at Guard and back up at Center - giving us desperately needed depth along with Nickelson. 

Am I jumping off sides with just one good performance? 

I’m not Daniel, and maybe he has a better perspective, but I think Cuney could be serviceable. K State has a quick DL and Cuney held his own. He got beat several times, but that happens. All his snaps were clean. If he can continue, the staff might consider moving Shack over to G/T to help with depth. Maybe gets a look at LT. 

How many of us were feeling the anxiety when KSU went up 10-0 and we skipped the PAT FG?  I was for sure.  I thought this would be a low scoring game so you take the FG.  Pretty simple.  Besides our defense was hardly stellar after that.

Regarding Carter,I have heard/read that he has not been doing a good job in practice picking up blitzers/pass rushers in practice. That fits with his being moved outside on several pass plays last night. They were just not ever able to get him the ball on those pass plays. 

I agree he is our best runner. But apparently he needs to improve his blocking.

OL is the story of the game to me. We all knew Sam could do what he did. We had no idea the OL could do what it did with those guys. I mean, a true freshman, a true sophmore, a center who's never played a snap, a former defensive lineman, and the guy from Moana.

Pretty incredible job. Hats off to them and the OL coaches.

I believe we should have gone for 3. The downside of ending a great drive with 0 points is too great. We finally started throwing the ball over the middle and had great success. I was telling my brother after that horrible series where we started on our 1 yard line, gotta throw in the middle. That was bad play calling on that series. Great win and I can’t wait to get to Dallas. 

13 minutes ago, Bear19 said:

Regarding Carter,I have heard/read that he has not been doing a good job in practice picking up blitzers/pass rushers in practice. That fits with his being moved outside on several pass plays last night. They were just not ever able to get him the ball on those pass plays. 

I did notice Warren actually blocked better last night.  About time.

I know Porter is a good blocker and consistent.  Yes he scored 2 TD's but if he is touched he is tackled.  Carter makes people miss and hes quick, fast, and reckless.  When he runs the ball there is a chance he will break it.

I think it has more to do with TH philosophy of trusting the freshman.  Herman has mentioned numerous times in PC.  

My bet, Carter is gonna break one vs HoeU

5 hours ago, 83Dee said:

Daniel,

For about four years now, I have nary heard a positive word about Terrell Cuney.  All I did is watch the game as a fan, but it seemed that this kid competed, was composed, made the calls and hit Sam in the chest with every snap right on time.  Maybe I have missed something, but I think we have our Center for the next year and a half?  Shack, when healthy, can compete at Guard and back up at Center - giving us desperately needed depth along with Nickelson. 

Am I jumping off sides with just one good performance? 

He filled in admirably without a doubt, but I don’t think you make this decision based off of one game. If Shack continues to get banged up we could see more of Cuney, but I need to see consistency from week to week.

1 hour ago, drgilbert said:

I believe we should have gone for 3. The downside of ending a great drive with 0 points is too great. We finally started throwing the ball over the middle and had great success. I was telling my brother after that horrible series where we started on our 1 yard line, gotta throw in the middle. That was bad play calling on that series. Great win and I can’t wait to get to Dallas. 

For the record I thought we should have gone for 3 at the time and I was projecting Tom Herman's answers at the post game press conference after our kicker missed the FG attempt at a distance where we expect a make.  There was no guarantee at that point we would get the ball back.

But he went for the TD and Texas won anyway.  I am not questioning him like I know better.  I simply am trying to understand the guy.  

I watched the winning TD run on highlites  today and it was awesome watching Sam help push the herd into the end zone to make the TD.  Great effort and team play!

Also props to Terrell Cuney for playing a solid game.  No bad snaps, held his own, amazingly no false starts by the OL that I can remember.  He has been the butt of jokes for never playing or developing over the years (some by me), but I thought he was great today at an important position at center.

1 hour ago, Harrison Wier said:

I’m not Daniel, and maybe he has a better perspective, but I think Cuney could be serviceable. K State has a quick DL and Cuney held his own. He got beat several times, but that happens. All his snaps were clean. If he can continue, the staff might consider moving Shack over to G/T to help with depth. Maybe gets a look at LT. 

Shack isn’t a tackle. If anything he gets work at Guard possibly. Interior guy all the way. 

1 hour ago, Bear19 said:

This might also explain his lack of playing time.  If the opponent knows by film review that Carter is not up to par in the pass protection game it would become obvious that Texas was going to run when he enters the game.  That kind of defeats the whole concept of the RPO.

1 hour ago, Bear19 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. Pass protection is one of those things young backs always tend to struggle with. 

1 hour ago, North Texas Golfer said:

No. But from what I read of how he acted during and after the game, he does not have the greatest attitude. And his Father is not doing him any favors. Don't think Tom is going to put up with it. 

It hasn’t gone unnoticed. Trust me. 

6 minutes ago, MikeV73 said:

I watched the winning TD run on highlites  today and it was awesome watching Sam help push the herd into the end zone to make the TD.  Great effort and team play!

Also props to Terrell Cuney for playing a solid game.  No bad snaps, held his own, amazingly no false starts by the OL that I can remember.  He has been the butt of jokes for never playing or developing over the years (some by me), but I thought he was great today at an important position at center.

Cuney had one false start. But penalties in general were way down which is a big improvement. Texas was only flagged three times last night. 

12 hours ago, primal defense said:

Wow! You knew the other QB would wasn't the man the first time you saw him play. Shane let UT to an upset over 9th rated ND. You should be a scout for a NFL team.

Do you think an NFL scout could tell that Notre Dame was a complete and utter farce during that game?

43 minutes ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Do you think an NFL scout could tell that Notre Dame was a complete and utter farce during that game?

To be fair, we all knew ND wasn’t a Top 10 team after that game, but we had no clue they were going to be 4-8 bad. Everyone was stoked with Shane’s performance considering it was his first collegiate start as a true freshman.