Join Our Community

Are you a fan of the Texas Longhorns? Registration is FREE and EASY. Join the discussion!
Daniel Seahorn

5 Thoughts Following The Win Over KSU

Heck of a football game and a heck of a win for Tom Herman and his Longhorns tonight in Austin. Texas is 2-0 in conference and is riding a nice confidence streak as it heads into its rivalry game against Oklahoma in Dallas. Here are some of my thoughts from tonight's big win over the Wildcats.

• Sam Ehlinger is the man at quarterback. 

This debate is officially settled. 486 total yards of offense from the true freshman against a defense that is usually tough year in and out. He did it with his arm and he did it with his wheels, and he did time after time. Ehlinger played as well as he could have played aside from the early interception and I barely even remember it because of how many positive plays he made throughout the game. This is Sam's team now and Texas has a damn good one.

• The offensive line kept Ehlinger clean 

While Ehlinger's wheels bailed his line out on some plays, this group played a pretty well considering they are down several starters. That includes starting two underclassmen at tackle and center who has never taken starter snaps in his entire college career. Ehlinger had a good pocket to work with most of the night and most importantly he was never sacked. Anytime your big boys turn in a clean sheet like that they deserve some love and considering I played offensive line they are dang sure getting some love from me tonight. Well done, fellas.

• Have yourself a night Reggie Hemphill-Mapps

Remember how good Hemphill-Mapps looked early on and then he did a disappearing act for a bit? Well he was back on the scene tonight and took it to the Kansas State defense to the tune of 121 yards on 12 catches. He gets open, he's a reliable pass catcher, he's elusive and gets you yards after the catch. He needs to be a staple in the game plan going forward. 

• Toneil Carter still needs more touches 

It seemed like Carter was going to be involved early and often tonight and he looked good early on. After that he disappeared for awhile and was only on the field here and there. He ended the night with only 6 carries for 32 yards. I said before that Ehlinger shouldn't be the primary ball carrier considering how thin the quarterback position is. We've seen Carter in flashes and need to see him more going forward to limit the wear and tear on QB1. 

• Field goals are going to be an adventure all year long

Texas fans are going to be holding their breath every time Josh Rowland lines up for a field goal this year. While we know he doesn't have a huge leg, if he is going to start spraying kicks left and right that are within his range, then it's going to make for some interesting in game decisions. He missed a chip shot should have tied it (and could have cost Texas the game) and also missed the potential game winner at the end of regulation.  He could improve as the season progresses, but the confidence level for trotting him out there can't be very high right now. 

The most important part about tonight is that Texas found a way to win instead of finding a way to lose. That in itself is a big step forward for this team as it heads into a the Red River Shootout next week in Dallas. I feel like the defense took a bit a of a step back tonight overall, but they stepped up and made some plays at some big moments late in the ball game including DeShon Elliott's fifth interception of the season. That guy just seems to find the football. 

Next week should be fun. Oklahoma is coming in off an embarrassing lose against Iowa State at home  and Texas is coming off its best win of the year against Kansas State. The eyes of Texas will be upon the Cotton Bowl. 

Thank God.  I am so tired of hearing about the other QBs beautiful deep ball or his experience or his supposed ping pong skills or his competitiveness.  Debate over.  I knew the other QB wasn't the man the first time I saw him play.  I knew Sam was the man the first time I saw him play.

I expect a tough game with OU next week. If there's any salt to them at all, it will be a tough game.

If I'm OU, I look at this Texas game as a way to 1) stop the negative momentum, and 2) complete a vital season goal, and 3) maintain a chance at the conference title.

So I expect to see a more inspired OU in Dallas this go round. Is OU talented enough for that to matter? We'll see.

The Texas Tech game is starting to worry me. I'm glad we have them at home.

KSU was game 1 of the three-game gauntlet. And we're undefeated in conference play. Yeah!

ISU sure looks like a bigger win than it did a week ago.

True about OU.  The good thing is both teams have a lot to play for.  

The first thing I noticed about tonight's game was the speed at which the defense was performing.  Texas' defensive speed is as shocking to the eye as OU's offense was when Stoops and Leach had it going.  They ran those jail break screens like their hair was on fire.  

19 hours ago, Embrey said:

Thank God.  I am so tired of hearing about the other QBs beautiful deep ball or his experience or his supposed ping pong skills or his competitiveness.  Debate over.  I knew the other QB wasn't the man the first time I saw him play.  I knew Sam was the man the first time I saw him play.

Wow! You knew the other QB would wasn't the man the first time you saw him play. Shane lead UT to an upset over 9th rated ND. You should be a scout for a NFL team.

46 minutes ago, Embrey said:

Same had to go win the job and didn’t do it out of the spring or camp. But he damn sure did it tonight. 

1 hour ago, Sirhornsalot said:

I expect a tough game with OU next week. If there's any salt to them at all, it will be a tough game.

If I'm OU, I look at this Texas game as a way to 1) stop the negative momentum, and 2) complete a vital season goal, and 3) maintain a chance at the conference title.

So I expect to see a more inspired OU in Dallas this go round. Is OU talented enough for that to matter? We'll see.

KSU was game 1 of the three-game gauntlet. And we're undefeated in conference play. Yeah!

Late in the ou game, (was listening to ESPN radio,) they said, “I’ll tell you, the Oklahoma defense is the Michigan offense of college football.”

Let’s hope the trend continues. 

:)

7 hours ago, Daniel Seahorn said:
  • The offensive line kept Ehlinger clean 

Daniel,

For about four years now, I have nary heard a positive word about Terrell Cuney.  All I did is watch the game as a fan, but it seemed that this kid competed, was composed, made the calls and hit Sam in the chest with every snap right on time.  Maybe I have missed something, but I think we have our Center for the next year and a half?  Shack, when healthy, can compete at Guard and back up at Center - giving us desperately needed depth along with Nickelson. 

Am I jumping off sides with just one good performance? 

Daniel,

Another great write up from my perspective since I agree with every point you made, LOL!   I loved what I saw from the offensive line and I felt like they played as if they were a Band of Brothers who were inspired to play for the man that is lined up next them.  It makes me feel good to see a young offensive line get better and better each game .   In terms of QB , yes  Sam is the man now and it not to beat on Shane but Sam just brings an inspired Leadership into each play that Shane seems to shy away.  Well, enjoy this one today then it is onto Dallas and I suspect a much tougher game as OU will come in very motivated.  Great Job Horns!!!

7 hours ago, Sirhornsalot said:

Tceh (you may have to think back for that reference) fans around here are not impressed with their QB.  They are still creaming themselves over Mahomes.  They believe Shimonek is too one dimensional.  But, I too am glad the game is in Austin.  

I'm split between ou being self defeated vs having renewed inspiration. It is the Red River Rivalry, shoot out, show down, or whatever they are calling it now days. But, I'm hoping they are becoming more aware of what most UT fans have been saying for years...OU SUCKS!

Good write up Daniel.

i do think Carter needs to carry more. I think his play has the other backs running harder. Porter ran hard and physical. Warren also ran tough. Big play for him that didn't go in the box score is getting on the fumble when LJ Humpfries tried to hurdle the defender. That would have been big if we had lost that. 

Agree with everything everyone says about Sam. Kid is a gamer.....tough kid.  

Offensive line played well. Okafor had a nice seal block on the goal line TD run. Freshman Kerstetter is really a good player. He has taken control of that right tackle job. 

Coaching staff. I bitched about some of the play calling especially when we got down there that first time and came away with nothing. You can't run Sam sideways and expect to get anything against K-State. Overall though the coaching staff is great. In years past last night would have turned into a K-State rout. This one could have turned into that but our coaching staff is so much better now. I think Herman is going to take us back to where we want to be. We are headed in the right direction. 

Great win. OU should be another good one.

Hook'em

Offense:

It is obvious Sam is the guy going forward.  The offense overall plays with confidence with Sam in there.  His passes were on the money for the most part (except for his first INT) .  This is that so called IT factor I guess.  The kid is a gamer.  I will admit after the first throw I was oh great but the kid was aewsome the rest of the game.  I love watching him truck DB's and LB's ;)

Last night it was infuriating watching our BEST runner, Carter, gain 7 yards a pop off tackle then getting pulled out of the game in favor of Kyle only to watch him get 1-2 yards.  This happened multiple times in the 1st quarter.  Here is last nights rushing....notice the 2 Freshmen:

vs KSU

Sam Ehlinger    20    107    5.3    
Toneil Carter        6      32    5.3    
Chris Warren        7       14    2.0    
Kyle Porter            7       13    1.9    

Season:

Chris Warren  49 270 5.5
Sam Ehlinger 46 165 3.6
Kyle Porter 53 154 2.9
Toneil Carter 16 102 6.4
Shane Buechele 28 63 2.3
Jerrod Heard 13 54 4.2
Daniel Young 4 27 6.8

Shout out to the OL.  Cuney is better than Shack.  Okafor is better than Nickelson.  You found your OL now stick to it to build some consistency.

Beck finally came through.  GG.

Our WR are about as good as it gets.  Reggie, Collin, and Lil Jordan are stellar.

Defense:

Our defense made some key stops but overall they were burned last night by a one dimensional offense.   Better step it up before next week.

I am still waiting the defense AND offense to both show up to the same game.  Our offense carried the defense this week.

I always love watching the sooners lose but as I said before I wanted them riding high into RRR and now that wont happen.  It will be a tougher game for us now.  Orlando better come up with some answers quickly.

Special Teams:

I swear we are cursed.  Terrible kickers since Tucker.  I am glad Warren scored the last TD I didnt trust Rowland with a 4 yard FG.  No wonder TH didnt go for the 3 yarder on forth down in the 1st.

We got the win.  That is all that matters.

8 hours ago, primal defense said:

Wow! You knew the other QB would wasn't the man the first time you saw him play. Shane let UT to an upset over 9th rated ND. You should be a scout for a NFL team.

Yes.  The Longhorns defeated God-awful, 4-8 Notre Dame.  They were only ninth rated to people who wanted to inflate the importance of the victory.  You didn't have to be a scout to recognize what was obvious.  Why is this so hard to understand?

14 minutes ago, Embrey said:

Yes.  The Longhorns defeated God-awful, 4-8 Notre Dame.  They were only ninth rated to people who wanted to inflate the importance of the victory.  You didn't have to be a scout to recognize what was obvious.  Why is this so hard to understand?

ND may have been ranked 9th preseason but they were terrible.  Shane was good last year but for whatever reason (maybe injuries) he isnt the same in this system.  Sam is the guy, he proved it last night and vs USC.  Kudos to the kid.  Fans were chanting "We Love You" to him last night

1 hour ago, DMAC said:

It is obvious Sam is the guy going forward.  The offense overall plays with confidence with Sam in there.  His passes were on the money for the most part (except for his first INT)  .

Last night it was infuriating watching our BEST runner, Carter, gain 7 yards a pop off tackle then getting pulled out of the game in favor of Kyle only to watch him get 1-2 yards.  This happened multiple times in the 1st quarter.  Here is last night rushing....notice 2 Freshmen:

Sam Ehlinger    20    107    5.3    
Toneil Carter        6      32    5.3    
Chris Warren        7       14    2.0    
Kyle Porter            7       13    1.9    

Our defense made some key stops but overall they were burned last night by a one dimensional offense. 

I am still waiting the defense AND offense to both show up to the same game.  Our offense carried the defense this week.

I always love watching the sooners lose but as I said before I wanted them riding high into RRR and now that wont happen.  It will be a tougher game for us now.  Orlando better come up with some answers quickly

I assume the coaching staff trusts Porter and Warren III more in the blocking.  If the QB1 position in Texas' offense is going to also be an extra RB I suppose there is a premium placed on the RB(s) on the play to be blockers.  Let us hope that Carter is receiving a crash course every week during practice on the importance of him picking up his blocking assignments and how that will equate to more playing time.  Carter definitely was more effective last night and I would also like to see more carries.

I noticed Porter is more ready to play RB when he is deep man on kickoff return.  It seems to get him into more of a kamikazi mode.  As for Warren, he can be limited but he really made some big plays last night.  The beautiful play call that resulted in his TD reception, the fumble recovery when LJH high hurdled the defender, several key blitz pickups and, of course, the final play are just examples.

The defensive performance was a bit skewed due to the 2 big pass plays and the extra points scored in OT.  This defense is playing fast and will put a hat on you.  Only a very, very good and patient QB with a great understanding of his offense has a chance to escape this bunch unscathed.  All others will most probably succumb to the immediate pressure and make the big mistake.  I am hoping we get to see Baker pushed to his limit by this defense.

On another note, I was having fits when Texas went no back and KSU brought the house.  I assume their defenders were playing tight and not allowing Sam to hit a quick escape valve receiver.  Mostly Sam got on his horse and ultimately threw the ball into the bench.  We didn't have time to complete many late developing patterns with no backs.  That tactic is too risky for me right now.

Lastly, Tom Herman has actually surprised me with how much risk he is willing to take regarding going for it on 4th down.  It hasn't worked much as of yet but he must believe it will change the game and he obviously believes in Orlando and the defense.  One could make the case that Texas should have taken the FG on the goal line and when you add the other 30ish yard FG the kicker missed, Texas was actually in control of this game everywhere but the scoreboard.  I am going to be positive and believe that the more he goes on 4th down that his team will be more successful on picking them up.  I think he must view this situation almost like picking up a turnover/extra possession.

Embry, good post. Maybe Warren is starting to realize that to play RB you need to do more than carry the ball? You're right, he had some good blocks last night.

On the 2 big pass plays for TDs, I may be mistaken but I think it was PJ Locke who missed coverage on both of those. On the 2nd one, The Shark was inches away from sacking the KSU QB who did a good job of throwing the TD pass. KSU got away with a major hold that would have backed them up and the 1st long TD may have never happened.

I also like Tom going for it on 4th down. He's showing other coaches he isn't afraid to go for it and yes, maybe the team will start believing they will pick them up.

4 minutes ago, tejasrulz said:

Embry, good post. Maybe Warren is starting to realize that to play RB you need to do more than carry the ball? You're right, he had some good blocks last night.

On the 2 big pass plays for TDs, I may be mistaken but I think it was PJ Locke who missed coverage on both of those. On the 2nd one, The Shark was inches away from sacking the KSU QB who did a good job of throwing the TD pass. KSU got away with a major hold that would have backed them up and the 1st long TD may have never happened.

I also like Tom going for it on 4th down. He's showing other coaches he isn't afraid to go for it and yes, maybe the team will start believing they will pick them up.

Tejas, I didn't pick up on who was beaten on those pass plays but you and Orlando did.  Is it fair to say Locke was simply being too aggressive (as in he was too eager to defend the run) or was he displaying poor coverage technique?  Both are coachable but I hope it was the former.  That can be solved by a little humiliation upon film review in front of his peers.  If it was the latter that is a bit more problematic in my mind.

There was no need to go for it on 4th down in the 1 st Quarter.  We were down by 3 at the time with a chance to tie it, granted Rowland was all but automatic but hell that was PAT range.  Besides if he had gotten a FG there we never go into OT.  Thats Hermans style but he did the same thing vs USC.  I understand it during USC when you have nothing to lose vs top 5 team in their house, but he should go FG when down by 3 at home.

I think Seahorn said it best in the game thread it seems a little early to be chasing points.

And what is funny in light of Herman's apparent willingness to forego the sure thing for the whole enchilada was that he didn't go for 2 and the win at USC.  I am not trying to break his balls.  I just don't have a clear read on him yet.

2 minutes ago, DMAC said:

There was no need to go for it on 4th down in the 1 st Quarter.  We were down by 3 at the time with a chance to tie it, granted Rowland was all but automatic but hell that was PAT range.  Besides if he had gotten a FG there we never go into OT.  Thats Hermans style but he did the same thing vs USC.  I understand it during USC when you have nothing to lose vs top 5 team in their house, but he should go FG when down by 3 at home.

I actually didn’t mind the call. At that point of the game I think it was 3-0 and it looked like touchdowns were going to be at a premium. Herman’s style is that you don’t drive the ball all the way inside the 5 to kick a field goal. Texas didn’t get it, but it backed up K State to the 3 yard line to start their next drive.

Now if you told Herman after the game that both offenses would end up actually dominating the game, he probably would have taken the points. Hindsight is 50/50.

2 minutes ago, Embrey said:

And what is funny in light of Herman's apparent willingness to forego the sure thing for the whole enchilada was that he didn't go for 2 and the win at USC.  I am not trying to break his balls.  I just don't have a clear read on him yet.

Ha, very true. It’s easy to play with the “nothing to lose mentality” when you are on the road against USC until you actually have to say “hey let’s go for 2 and risk everything”

14 minutes ago, Jameson McCausland said:

I actually didn’t mind the call. At that point of the game I think it was 3-0 and it looked like touchdowns were going to be at a premium. Herman’s style is that you don’t drive the ball all the way inside the 5 to kick a field goal. Texas didn’t get it, but it backed up K State to the 3 yard line to start their next drive.

Now if you told Herman after the game that both offenses would end up actually dominating the game, he probably would have taken the points. Hindsight is 50/50.

It was our second offensive series.  Yes backing them up to the 3 yard is a good trade off but they drove 97 yards from their 3 for a TD.  They went up 2 scores at that point.  Hindsight but I take the 3 points at home to tie the game on the second offensive series of the game.